Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

NO. That doesnt mean shit. She could relocate no problem. I'm saying that is the only thing that may hold him back but its a huge stretch. 

OK, it just made me chuckle.  "Honey, I have been offered a $750K per year raise to move to Austin, but you do have your $50K coaching gig . . . I'm just gonna turn it down because, OK?"

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 3:47 AM, Chad said:

I don't agree with that. The Baseball program has significantly more hardware, but Basketball blew up in popularity after TJ Ford and the Final 4 run.

As soon as Tom Penders set foot on the UT campus, Basketball flew past Baseball in popularity and it's never changed since. (Even in down hoops years.)

PS- When it was UT 43 - 83 WVU the other night, I knew that it was a not-so-bueno period in UT men's hoops.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 5:27 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I'd like to see more revenue detail.  I'm not sure it's reasonable to compare current revenue (with reduced turnstile attendance) to prior revenue with more butts in the seats.  

It's hard for me to imagine that losing something like 3,000 paying customers per home game doesn't matter.  That's over $0.5M in lost revenue, and possibly close to $1M, just on tickets alone.  It may not justify a $10M buyout on a pure cost basis, but eventually we have to consider the permanence of diminishing fan interest, which includes merchandise, etc.

I like this analysis.  There has got to be an attendance number that triggers the event.  Say the average home attendance is 5000 the rest of this season and the accountants can guess an approximate number of about the same all of next year.  Surely that is low enough, combined with the lowering of buyout down to about $8 million to move on to someone else? 

The NIT game set the record low attendance for the Erwin Center?  something like 2000?  

I like this analysis.  There has got to be an attendance number that triggers the event.  Say the average home attendance is 5000 the rest of this season and the accountants can guess an approximate number of about the same all of next year.  Surely that is low enough, combined with the lowering of buyout down to about $8 million to move on to someone else? 
The NIT game set the record low attendance for the Erwin Center?  something like 2000?  

As a result of employing Shaka Smart, I will not be making an $8M donation to the University this year. How does that math look?

21 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

So what’s the realistic timeline for firing? End of season?

yeah. firing coaches mid season just isn't something we've ever done. i assume we're sending out feelers to potential candidates right now; at least we should be anyway. being that it's only January yet everyone already knows that Shaka is gone, this will show whether CDC is the man for his job or not. Shaka needs to be fired the day after the season ends, and his replacement needs to be announced either 24 hours later, or the day after said coach's season ends. If not, the. our athletic department is fucking up.

Edited by Goo Punch

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah. firing coaches mid season just isn't something we've ever done. i assume we're sending out feelers to potential candidates right now; at least we should be anyway. being that it's only January yet everyone already knows that Shaka is gone, this will show whether CDC is the man for his job or not. Shaka needs to be fired the day after the season ends, and his replacement needs to be announced either 24 hours later, or the day after said coach's season ends. If not, the. our athletic department is fucking up.

you are forgetting that we have to "hire" a firm to fake a search soooooo probably a week.

• Like 1

I think we can muster a win between ISU coming to Austin, OSU comes here last game of regular season (likely Shaka's last game at the Erwin Center, so at least he could go out with a win), @KSU is a possible win.  All our saltiness aside, those are three bad teams, we can win 2 out of those 3, or let's say we just win OSU at home and steal one other random win somewhere else in the next 12 games.  So that takes us from 12-7, to a record in league play of 4-14 and 14-17 overall, and maybe go 1-1 in conference tourney since we'd draw OSU, KSU, or ISU in first game and that's winnable at a neutral site, so 15-18 final record.  No post-season that far below .500, even the CBI and CIT have standards,  

That would leave Shaka at 35-55 in Big XII play .389 winning percentage, never finishing higher than 4th.  And decisively in the bottom half of the league 4 out of 5 seasons. Overall record at Texas would be 86-84 at .506.  If you were to annualize (I know this is not how it's done, but bare with me) his buyout over his term, he'd have basically made about $5.0mm per season at Texas.  Making him the 3rd highest paid coach in the land for a .506 winning percentage, 0 NCAA tournament wins, and 0 Top 3 finishes in his league over 5 seasons.  

Our Athletic Dept. needs a serious mental examination.  

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That would leave Shaka at 35-55 in Big XII play .389 winning percentage, never finishing higher than 4th.  And decisively in the bottom half of the league 4 out of 5 seasons. Overall record at Texas would be 86-84 at .506.  If you were to annualize (I know this is not how it's done, but bare with me) his buyout over his term, he'd have basically made about $5.0mm per season at Texas.  Making him the 3rd highest paid coach in the land for a .506 winning percentage, 0 NCAA tournament wins, and 0 Top 3 finishes in his league over 5 seasons.  

and yet every national college basketball journalist continues to insist he's a brilliant young coach and "other than that 11-22 season", he's actually had some success here

I wanted to reach through my phone and strangle the last motherfucker (CBS Sports) I read saying that. Jesus Christ. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I think we can muster a win between ISU coming to Austin, OSU comes here last game of regular season (likely Shaka's last game at the Erwin Center, so at least he could go out with a win), @KSU is a possible win.  All our saltiness aside, those are three bad teams, we can win 2 out of those 3, or let's say we just win OSU at home and steal one other random win somewhere else in the next 12 games.  So that takes us from 12-7, to a record in league play of 4-14 and 14-17 overall, and maybe go 1-1 in conference tourney since we'd draw OSU, KSU, or ISU in first game and that's winnable at a neutral site, so 15-18 final record.  No post-season that far below .500, even the CBI and CIT have standards,  

That's the frustrating part.  We're not even asking the program to turn into Kansas... yet.  Just look competent, make the tournament 3 out of 4 years, make a Sweet 16 run or two.  Noooo.   We've got to look historically bad, with bad basketball, not make tourneys, etc... And in tracking the game via ESPN's play-by-play app, I knew we were screwed the moment the game got close at the end.  No way he designs multiple good offensive plays in the final 2 mins.  No way.

12 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

47a30a3952449752900994eda1f12113.jpg

Better phrase:  Surly says "Fire Shaka"

Anybody watching this Tech/Kentucky game knows that the Longhorns should be just as competitive as Texas Tech in basketball...  So tired of people saying Longhorn fans won't support basketball... it just isn't Fuckin True!! 

Edited by LTtxfan

“The bottom line is in the second half, there was a long stretch where our guys lost themselves in the fight,” Texas coach Shaka Smart said. “Any of the other things that might’ve muddied their mind, that stuff was gone.”

Oh really, that’s the bottom line huh? Lol. What a clear, strong message! Seriously, can anyone translate this vague word salad bullshit?

It’s no wonder the word around the program is the players don’t listen to him. This limp-wristed disphit can’t come up with anything besides vague, pseudo-platitudes to explain why his teams continue losing in the same exact way, game after game, year after year. Zero substance to this guy - he truly doesn’t have the faintest fucking clue. 

43 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Oh really, that’s the bottom line huh? Lol. What a clear, strong message! Seriously, can anyone translate this vague word salad bullshit?

It’s no wonder the word around the program is the players don’t listen to him. This limp-wristed disphit can’t come up with anything besides vague, pseudo-platitudes to explain why his teams continue losing in the same exact way, game after game, year after year. Zero substance to this guy - he truly doesn’t have the faintest fucking clue. 

we're just not having enough better tomorrows, and i can't explain it. shaka made it very clear at the beginning of the year that we needed to have better tomorrows, and yet despite giving the team ample time to do all the soul searching they can do, we just can't seem to have enough better tomorrows. ugh, so frustrating. when are we going to start recruiting the right guys for what Shaka needs?! we need guys who can have better tomorrows!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

This forecast is interesting, but I tweak it.  Finish 16 - 17, go to the other no name tourney, CIT or whatever.  Host game and set a new record for low attendance, maybe around 1000, win tournament to finish with a winning record.  New coach search is delayed and cdc gets lazy and decides to keep him.  How plausible?

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Which AD gave Shaka that dumbass contract extension? He should pay the buyout out of his own pocket

Can you imagine how many people would keep their jobs at Bellmont and other university sports programs or state government jobs in general, if accountability was linked to employment? 

On 1/22/2020 at 4:07 PM, longhornmatt said:

A divorced guy making five million a year or whatever may want a better talent pool to draw upon than girl’s volleyball coaches at the local high school.  

The personal life part of the Lubbock argument would make a lot more sense if he were still married to a West Texas girl.  His current situation seems more appropriate for a holding out for Arizona State or Miami mindset.  

Couldn't have picked two better places to scope out new ass.  ASU and Miami.  Indeed. 

Lubbock?  Um.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic