Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

30 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He’s clearly a better coach than what we currently have, but what has he done at the major level?  A couple of “ok” seasons at Alabama...

he's not who i would want to replace Shaka, but I bet he gets a look. there aren't really any slam dunk hires available, unless we decide to go after John Beilein. he's about as good as we can hope for as far as a proven track record goes. 

The first step would be to get Few, Wright, Bennett, Beard and Donovan to say "nope". 

It gets blurry after that... Painter, Altman, Bielein are solid Rick Barnes level guys (A-/B+) ... Musselman and Grant are good against lesser competition ... Marshall?  Underwood? 

I don't think we will even consider Pearl or Sampson, but think they should get an offer before we gamble on other guys.

Edited by VinyVango

i'm hearing we could also be looking at highly recommended assistants from top programs/NBA teams if we strike out on the big name coaches we might go after (fully expecting to strike out for various reasons). so it might be somebody who none of us have ever heard of.

Edited by Goo Punch

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i'm hearing we could also be looking at highly recommended assistants from top programs/NBA teams if we strike out on the big name coaches we might go after (fully expecting to strike out for various reasons). so it might be somebody who none of us have ever heard of.

Joe Brady?

7 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Hell, why not go get a high school coach?

TemptingLiveGannet-size_restricted.gif

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

The first step would be to get Few, Wright, Bennett, Beard and Donovan to say "nope". 

It gets blurry after that... Painter, Altman, Bielein are solid Rick Barnes level guys (A-/B+) ... Musselman and Grant are good against lesser competition ... Marshall?  Underwood? 

I don't think we will even consider Pearl or Sampson, but think they should get an offer before we gamble on other guys.

whatever happens a bunch of coaches are going to love that Texas is firing a coach once again.   pay raises all around!!  I'm in on Marshall but apparently there are a lot fo folks in the A) never get him koch brothers pay and/or B) don't like his personality camps

Edited by dcar00

I do like Underwood and think he is gettable.  Not quite the proven track record you are looking for but he’s a known commodity in the state.  I would not be pissed if we hired him.   

I think Chris Mack is a good coach but not sure he is gettable.  would like us to kick the tires.  

Edited by ClubWhatever

30 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

Is it underachieving when anyone who has watched Texas basketball the last five years expected exactly what we're getting?

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Given CDC's track record that would be surprising. When it comes to basketball coaches he seems to like going after experienced coaches. In fact,  if Barnes didn't work here previously, he would be CDC's prime candidate to replace Shaka (which I honestly wouldn't mind, but that's me). 

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

I do like Underwood and think he is gettable.  Not quite the proven track record you are looking for but he’s a known commodity in the state.  I would not be pissed if we hired him.   

I think Chris Mack is a good coach but not sure he is gettable.  would like us to kick the tires.  

I'm curious as to why you view Underwood so favorably. He's done next to nothing. 

36 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Why Wojo? 2 NCAA Tourneys (both 1st round exits) in 5 full seasons doesn't exactly scream "Hire Me!!!!!"

i agree with you, it's just what i've heard from reliable sources. i'm sure that it has a lot to do with the Coach K pedigree, but at the same time Rick Barnes' career at Clemson didn't really scream "hire me!" either, but he ended up being the right hire.

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I don't know about that. Barnes was just about the best coach in Clemson's history when we hired him.

Maybe so, but his record on paper certainly didn't scream "hire me!" He went 74-48 (.607), 28-36 (.438). They finished 6th, 6th, 4th, and 4th in the ACC. Certainly nothing that would portend what was to come.

He then proceeded to come to Texas and finish 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 5th, 1st, 3rd, amd 1st in the Big XII in his first 10 seasons. WOW. And the year we finished 5th we were top 10 in the country before losing LaMarcus and PJ halfway through the season.

All of which just makes me absolutely revere DeLoss Dodds when it comes to hiring Barnes, Augie, and Mack, all on the first try. Simply outstanding. Nobody predicted the level of success that any of the three coaches would go on to have here, just as nobody predicted how badly we'd fall off after parting ways with those three. We were spoiled. I hope most people can appreciate that. 

11 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Maybe so, but his record on paper certainly didn't scream "hire me!" He went 74-48 (.607), 28-36 (.438). They finished 6th, 6th, 4th, and 4th in the ACC. Certainly nothing that would portend what was to come.

He then proceeded to come to Texas and finish 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 5th, 1st, 3rd, amd 1st in the Big XII in his first 10 seasons. WOW. And the year we finished 5th we were top 10 in the country before losing LaMarcus and PJ halfway through the season.

All of which just makes me absolutely revere DeLoss Dodds when it comes to hiring Barnes, Augie, and Mack, all on the first try. Simply outstanding. Nobody predicted the level of success that any of the three coaches would go on to have here, just as nobody predicted how badly we'd fall off after parting ways with those three. We were spoiled. I hope most people can appreciate that. 

Barnes had coached in the Big East when it really was the Big East and the ACC with Clemson(a school with zero basketball history) and held his own in both which were the 2 toughest conferences in basketball.  sure he wasn't killing it but you have to consider the competition.

On Dodds,  he screwed up after firing Akers and screwed up after firing Lemons. I give him credit for Augie, Penders, and Barnes. Mack was all Royal making sure he didn't screw up football again.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Barnes had coached in the Big East when it really was the Big East and the ACC with Clemson(a school with zero basketball history) and held his own in both which were the 2 toughest conferences in basketball.  sure he wasn't killing it but you have to consider the competition.

On Dodds,  he screwed up after firing Akers and screwed up after firing Lemons. I give him credit for Augie, Penders, and Barnes. Mack was all Royal making sure he didn't screw up football again.

Thanks for stating what I was thinking. Barnes was doing work in the Big East and ACC with vastly inferior personnel during a time when those 2 conferences were littered with elite (and more importantly experienced) talent.  

30 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I'll certainly give you Mack and Barnes, but the expectations were pretty high after hiring Augie, and you're not going to find many coaches coming in with with 3 WS titles already to their credit. 

From 1973 to 1987 and again from 1991 to 1996, Garrido was head coach at Cal State Fullerton. In 21 seasons with Cal State Fullerton, Garrido accumulated a 929–391–6 record with seven College World Series including three championships (1979, 1984, and 1995) and a runner-up finish in 1992.The Sporting News named Garrido the College Baseball Coach of the Year in 1975 and 1979.

• Like 1

I'm of the mindset that CDC is known for. I want experience coaches who have a proven track record. Mussleman is about as far down the list as I want to go when it comes to a track record that isn't overly distinguished on the college level (albeit he's done most of his work on other levels). OUstide of the guys mentioned above who will probably say no, but you have to call (Few, Wright, Bennett, Beard and Donovan), Pearl, Sampson, Painter, Altman, Bielein, Howland, and Mussleman would makeup my list. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I'll certainly give you Mack and Barnes, but the expectations were pretty high after hiring Augie, and you're not going to find many coaches coming in with with 3 WS titles already to their credit. 

From 1973 to 1987 and again from 1991 to 1996, Garrido was head coach at Cal State Fullerton. In 21 seasons with Cal State Fullerton, Garrido accumulated a 929–391–6 record with seven College World Series including three championships (1979, 1984, and 1995) and a runner-up finish in 1992.The Sporting News named Garrido the College Baseball Coach of the Year in 1975 and 1979.

I totally agree. Augie was a no-brainer of a hire we all deservedly had hugh expectations. I just think that that situation, having to be the guy to replace the winningest coach ever, and in a place like Austin where people really care about Texas baseball, coming from a place where you're a demigod, that it would be tough to out and out expect the kind of success that Augie had here; not that anyone should be surprised by it. 

Baylor is way better than us in football.  They are #1 in basketball.  And is on a marked trajectory above us in baseball.  

They must have more money, better facilities, and superior recruiting over us.  nothing us could possibly explain it away.  

It could also be that their program has decided that an alumni base with free cash flow that once played high school sports is not the end-all, be-all.

Am I nuts for thinking Jamie Dixon should be considered?  

0.727 at Pitt

0.639 at TCU

0.709 career

Yeah, we just beat him.  That should probably be disqualifying right there, but we're not exactly negotiating from a position of strength.  He hasn't  set the world on fire in the Big XII, but he's definitely improved their program.  The Frogs absolutely sucked under Trent Johnson (8-64 in conference).  Under Dixon, they are 26-35.

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Baylor is way better than us in football.  They are #1 in basketball.  And is on a marked trajectory above us in baseball.  

They must have more money, better facilities, and superior recruiting over us.  nothing us could possibly explain it away.  

It could also be that their program has decided that an alumni base with free cash flow that once played high school sports is not the end-all, be-all.

no, they aren't.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Good God. You need help. Most people cannot appreciate that.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

14 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Chris Mack was openly swiping right on Louisville's coaching gig for the entirety of Padgett's interim tenure; he wanted that job badly. Louisville is paying him about $4m/year and the buyout is $5.5m, I don't think he's leaving Louisville for Texas.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Am I nuts for thinking Jamie Dixon should be considered?  

0.727 at Pitt

0.639 at TCU

0.709 career

Yeah, we just beat him.  That should probably be disqualifying right there, but we're not exactly negotiating from a position of strength.  He hasn't  set the world on fire in the Big XII, but he's definitely improved their program.  The Frogs absolutely sucked under Trent Johnson (8-64 in conference).  Under Dixon, they are 26-35.

Texas could do worse, but it would underwhelming and I don't see him being a marked improvement over Shaka. He's made the tourney once in the last 3 years (and probably missing again this year), he missed the tourney twice his last 5 years at Pitt, and the Pitt AD/fans were getting ready to shove him out the door when he left for TCU. He's also making a bit more than Shaka so you're looking to pay more than Shaka for similar results. IMO if you're going to get rid of Shaka, you're doing it to take a leap forward rather than a lateral move.

18 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Texas could do worse, but it would underwhelming and I don't see him being a marked improvement over Shaka. He's made the tourney once in the last 3 years (and probably missing again this year), he missed the tourney twice his last 5 years at Pitt, and the Pitt AD/fans were getting ready to shove him out the door when he left for TCU. He's also making a bit more than Shaka so you're looking to pay more than Shaka for similar results. IMO if you're going to get rid of Shaka, you're doing it to take a leap forward rather than a lateral move.

Also, and easily the most damning thing on his resume, he just lost to Shaka at home. 

Wojo?  Fuck that floor slapping cunt...

Jamal-Magloire-Wojo.jpg

1 hour ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Chris Mack was openly swiping right on Louisville's coaching gig for the entirety of Padgett's interim tenure; he wanted that job badly. Louisville is paying him about $4m/year and the buyout is $5.5m, I don't think he's leaving Louisville for Texas.

UL is still waiting on the NCAA to hand down their verdict/penalties for the latest transgressions from the FBI probe.  If they get hit hard enough, could be reason enough for Mack to bail on UL for Texas. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Napoleon said:

After last night’s demonstrative win over the Horned Frogs, is CDC considering an extension yet?

No, but there are reports from the locker room that Shaka Smart showed how relatable he was by frolicking with his players. 

wait sorry I read that wrong, it says "dancing", not frolicking. The frolicking is unconfirmed at this time.

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

No, but there are reports from the locker room that Shaka Smart showed how relatable he was by frolicking with his players. 

wait sorry I read that wrong, it says "dancing", not frolicking. The frolicking is unconfirmed at this time.

Turning a 10 point lead to a tie ballgame to luckily escaping with a 1 point win due to one single last second prayer before the shot clock went off in the last 4 minutes... calls for dancing with the boys. 

#sad  😢

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

After Shaka gets fired it will be interesting to see if any DI program reaches out for him to be a head coach. I honestly don't think any will. I think there's enough evidence on him that he's best suited as an assistant coach.

he'll get some D1 looks.  If you mean major conference maybe lower end ones.

27 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

After Shaka gets fired it will be interesting to see if any DI program reaches out for him to be a head coach. I honestly don't think any will. I think there's enough evidence on him that he's best suited as an assistant coach.

it wouldn't surprise me at all if some D-1 school still thinks he's a great young coach who just needs a change of scenery and hires him. 

6 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Shaka is a skillful recruiter, so that alone will get him some looks from other programs.

yep that and a conference that is not as good as the big 12 would be good for him.  he's not a good enough coach for this conference. someone will take another shot with him.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic