Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

12 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

assuming that quote from CDC is from tonight's little town hall meeting thing, then hopefully that means he's just publicly supporting Shaka while actively looming for our next coach behind closed doors. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 10:02 PM, Gucci_Suit said:

Meanwhile Baylor is a national elite athletic dept. Fucking Baylor. In Waco. Next to the Dr Pepper museum. Health camp. Magnolia. That shit. 

What this all validates is the severely bloated and underperforming Bellmont that needs to be expunged. Start over with people that have performance targets not space occupying PC lesions (no CR).

On 2/1/2020 at 3:03 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

Shaka is a skillful recruiter, so that alone will get him some looks from other programs.

When did Texas really have recruiting problems?

We have/ had  perpetual overpaid, under-achieving  coaching problems in the major sports. 

Recruiting wars matter but only to a certain extent, coaching matters. See: TTU, Butler, early Florida, Davidson, etc. etc. etc. How many examples do the so-called "experts" in Bellmont need? One would think that 30-40 years history would suffice, but that obviously is ridiculous as multiple other "agendas" have intervened.

We are not a program where at the top levels,  decisions are made that prioritize winning.

To those that say we are, please prove your point with other than emotional tirades and hearsay  because the record says otherwise, not just the W/L record, but the hiring/firing record of HCs.

What Bellmont has signalled clearly is that cash and optics are king. Winning is 3, 4 , 5 or lower on the priority list, after their own fat paychecks and benefits.

Edited by El Squared
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 3:53 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

At this point, I'm afraid we're all "very casual" Longhorns hoops fans.

Its the "athletic department" ( an oxymoron) that is casual about hoops and a lot of other things except themselves. 

We not only have trouble making "The Dance" ( not top 68 worthy).... when we do it's greeted with extensions and pay raises etc.

Really: Top 68 is so special?

How pathetic for a school that says they are a "flagship", and yet we pay like we are performing at top 10 level often. 

People need to hold decision makers accountable and the BMDs need to wake up stiffen their tiny peni, because this is embarrassing on so many levels.

Edited by El Squared

16 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Yeah I don’t like this comment at all...

Shaka should actually be embarrassed by it.  He can't overcome some preceived bad luck(I know he is referencing AJ, but its one player who is average) in 5 years and the best he can say is some bullshit platitude.  Maybe I should be happy he didn't say he is a good basketball coach because that would be flat lying to me.  

There are hundreds of good guys who we can pay a shitload less and coach Texas to a .500 record. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Shaka should actually be embarrassed by it.  He can't overcome some preceived bad luck(I know he is referencing AJ, but its one player who is average) in 5 years and the best he can say is some bullshit platitude.  Maybe I should be happy he didn't say he is a good basketball coach because that would be flat lying to me.  

There are hundreds of good guys who we can pay a shitload less and coach Texas to a .500 record. 

Uh, no. Shaka is the ONLY unbelievable person available. 

If we have big money donors who are that interested in basketball, they need to be encouraged to open their wallets to land a proven name prior to the opening of our new arena.  At some point, conference realignment is going to put certain programs outside the Power 5 on the bubble, and some coaches might be looking to move.  Would Jay Wright come to Austin?  Doubtful, but we need to ask.  What happens to 'nova if and when conferences coalesce to four super-conferences?  Would it even matter in basketball?

So many questions, no answers.

From talking to older people who support the athletic department and university with more than a $200 donation, I don't think most of them are angry with Shaka.  In fact, though a small sample size, most of them seem to be enamored with him and think he's a great coach.  I don't know that any of them are THE donors, I doubt that very much.  But they do donate regularly and more than just a few bucks.  If they're representative, I'd be shocked if there's a push to oust Shaka.  They don't look at games the way this board does, not the X's and O's.  Not the player development, or how many threes are shot per game.  I believe CDC's comments are one hundred percent genuine and not at all AD speak.

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

They don't look at games the way this board does, not the X's and O's.  Not the player development, or how many threes are shot per game.  

They glance at the scoreboard much, at the end of the games?

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

I believe CDC's comments are one hundred percent genuine and not at all AD speak.

I 100% believe this too, but it's because at the same time, I think it's CDC's constant talk of championships and Top Tens that's nothing more than rhetorical flourish, the stuff he thinks an AD at Texas is expected to say. It doesn't represent the reality of performance expectations for any of our programs other than "if you go too long without any of those things and enough of the money people complain enough, that will be the excuse for regretfully and reluctantly terminating your employment". 

We're not going to make the NCAAs, and unless we lose out, we're not getting a new coach for 20-21. Because our coach is an unbelievable person! And because our athletic department is a fundamentally unserious organization. It is literally, "as long as we're profitable and can look down our noses at Baylor for its off-field stuff, then We're Texas".

It's a joke.

tumblr_omuop5wZQc1qbwrnuo1_400.gifv

Edited by SwanderedTalent

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

If we have big money donors who are that interested in basketball, they need to be encouraged to open their wallets to land a proven name prior to the opening of our new arena.  At some point, conference realignment is going to put certain programs outside the Power 5 on the bubble, and some coaches might be looking to move.  Would Jay Wright come to Austin?  Doubtful, but we need to ask.  What happens to 'nova if and when conferences coalesce to four super-conferences?  Would it even matter in basketball?

So many questions, no answers.

In my opinion, whatever happens in the future with conference realignment, basketball will still be different and the Big East will still be a Basketball Power Conference included with the other power leagues, basically like they are now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

They glance at the scoreboard much, at the end of the games?

I 100% believe this too, but it's because at the same time, I think it's CDC's constant talk of championships and Top Tens that's nothing more than rhetorical flourish, the stuff he thinks an AD at Texas is expected to say. It doesn't represent the reality of performance expectations for any of our programs other than "if you go too long without any of those things and enough of the money people complain enough, that will be the excuse for regretfully and reluctantly terminating your employment". 

We're not going to make the NCAAs, and unless we lose out, we're not getting a new coach for 20-21. Because our coach is an unbelievable person! And because our athletic department is a fundamentally unserious organization. It is literally, "as long as we're profitable and can look down our noses at Baylor for its off-field stuff, then We're Texas".

It's a joke.

tumblr_omuop5wZQc1qbwrnuo1_400.gifv

the strange thing is if we(AD, boosters, people that matter, etc) didn't care then why did we fire Barnes but we are going to keep Shaka?    If CDC doesn't fire him this year, his top 10 shit will be proven to be a bunch of BS.

I hate how the fucking morons like Bilas cover for him...At least Fran F. is trying to throw some shade during the games he calls.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

if we(AD, boosters, people that matter, etc) didn't care then why did we fire Barnes

That's a fair question. Maybe the answer is, the floor has been lowered over the past eight years (we're willing to embrace more obvious W-L mediocrity now than we were after four poor seasons under Barnes). Maybe Steve Patterson wanted to shake things up, or didn't get along with Barnes and was happy for the excuse to jettison him, or tried to get Barnes to make changes and the reaction wasn't seen as properly deferential. 

I agree that it makes no sense to prolong the obviously failed Shaka Smart Experience in light of the Barnes precedent, and I agree that if we were truly not results-oriented, Barnes would have gotten another couple of years to keep fucking the chicken. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I hate how the fucking morons like Bilas cover for him

Vitale made an art of this in the late 80s and early 90s-- protect the coaches!-- because he was an ex-coach and never met a coach's bucket of water he wouldn't carry. 

I feel like this is a different thing, though, FWIW. I'll just say I think Bilas has some preconceived notions about what he can see of Smart and Texas fans and he might be assuming some really ugly ulterior motives when the truth is that we are just tired of waiting for these motherfucking millionaire coaches to win

Edited by SwanderedTalent

20 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Fucking Bilas.  If Shaka was torpedoing Duke like he is our program Bilas would be raising holy hell.   I really dislike that guy.  he screams Duke know it all douchnozzle.

Want to dislike him even more? Not following anyone on Twitter is his "thing." As is quoting dope-ass rap lyrics followed by a catch phrase every morning.

spacer.png

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." Shoot for being a top 10 team, you end up being a top 20 team. Our goal should be to become the top team in the country in every sports we care about and then perhaps we can build a top 5-10 program, and with some luck, we can win it all. Our problem is, and has always been, that we target too low to begin with. 

looking back at all of Shaka's antics early on, e.g. being everyone's best buddy, hanging out in the dorms with the players, texting the guys sentimental quotes every morning, etc, it's so fucking cringey and weird. It's embarrassing.

That said, Shaka would make an outstanding cult leader, and I mean that with all sincerity. His ability to get people to buy into his bullshit is frankly amazing, and he's "all-sizzle-no-steak'd" his way to an amazing gig with an amazing salary in an amazing city, and he literally doesn't even know what he's doing. dude is a fucking prodigious charlatan. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

looking back at all of Shaka's antics early on, e.g. being everyone's best buddy, hanging out in the dorms with the players, texting the guys sentimental quotes every morning, etc, it's so fucking cringey and weird. It's embarrassing.

Way back during his FF run I swear i remember hearing some story about him using some self-helpy index card gimmick with his players. Either he made the guys write down inspirational messages to themselves, or Shaka wrote the messages, and they read them before games or something....wish I could remember the details  but I just remember that schtick stood out as phony and lame. But I guess it worked...? 

looking back that was the first red flag.

14 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Shaka's favorite movie is Eat, Pray, Love

18 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

That said, Shaka would make an outstanding cult leader, and I mean that with all sincerity. 

So, it's settled then. Shaka's role in life is to start a basketball program at the Naropa Institute.

Looked at schedule again.  We should win 3, lose 6 to finish regular season.  Beat okie st., Iowa state, texas Christian.  Puts us at 17 and 14.  Win 2 in conference tourney and he comes back.  Win 1, lose 1 he probably comes back.   

Lose in conference tourney AND lose opening game NIT game and he’s probably gone.  

11 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I fully agree with everyone’s comments about our athletic department being a bloated unserious mess that is ultimately more concerned about optics, not risking revenue disruptions, and general bureaucratic CYA than actually winning.  Having said that, I interpret the Del Conte quote differently.

Saying, “He’s such a nice guy and he’s had some bad luck” deliberately avoids calling him a good basketball coach or saying his results are acceptable.  Unless there was more to the quote that had positive things to say about how he performs his actual job functions, it’s like saying a girl at the club has a great personality.   You’re just trying not to be cruel.  

agreed. that was the point of my "at least he didn't call him a good basketball coach" comment.  hopefully CDC is thinking the same. its way past time to fire a guy who has constantly shown he is in over his head as a coach in the Big 12.

13 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Looked at schedule again.  We should win 3, lose 6 to finish regular season.  Beat okie st., Iowa state, texas Christian.  Puts us at 17 and 14.  Win 2 in conference tourney and he comes back.  Win 1, lose 1 he probably comes back.   

Lose in conference tourney AND lose opening game NIT game and he’s probably gone.  

3 is possible but I think 2 is most likely.  

13 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

I don’t think you understand how close he was to getting fired after last season. He’s not coming back.

Just now, Goo Punch said:

Shaka's coaching down the stretch was hilariously awful. Man did everything he could to make it as easy and transparent as possible for TTU. Amazing. 

Leopards, spots.  Some things never change.  Shaka is the opposite of "clutch".  He clenches.  It's not a character flaw, but it sure as hell is a coaching flaw.

CDC always says we have enough money to spend however much is needed for the two revenue producing sports. sack the hell up. Only reason I see why we would keep him is Greg Brown the 5 star, but if we put out a crap product (which we are) he isn't coming anyways. 

7 minutes ago, crum said:

CDC always says we have enough money to spend however much is needed for the two revenue producing sports. sack the hell up. Only reason I see why we would keep him is Greg Brown the 5 star, but if we put out a crap product (which we are) he isn't coming anyways. 

There is no reason to keep a loser coach to get brown as a 1 and done.  The right coach will yet another 5 star.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic