Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

26 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

I would have to disagree. Charlie's actually worse by a bit, but wasn't that an amazing pair of hires by Patterson. 

Shaka has recruited better than Barnes and produced worse than Penders, with the absolute worst late-game coaching possible. it's Shaka and it's frankly not that close. 

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Shaka has recruited better than Barnes and produced worse than Penders, with the absolute worst late-game coaching possible. it's Shaka and it's frankly not that close. 

I think judgements may be skewed by the length of tenure for each. We've had to sit through the same tired, lifeless crap from Shaka for five years now. It's simply excruciating at this point, while memories of Charlie have begun to fade. But if Charlie had stumbled through five years at Texas, with quite plausibly never having had a winning season, the disgust with him would have been white hot.  

34 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It’s Charlie and it’s not close. Shaka is terrible. Charlie was the worst hire in this school’s history. 

well when we're talking about being a loser, i'd say that Shaka had better teams than charlie did and yet he did just as bad. he had a team ranked 25th in KenPom that was top 30 in both AdjO and AdjD amd they went 16-16. He had a team with Jarrett Allen and Andrew Jones (so, 40% of his starting lineup) and they won 11 games. Shaka might actually be a better coach than Charlie Strong, but he's otherworldly when it comes to being a loser.

of course Strong was able to lose at home against Kansas, so I don't want to act like he also isn't a loser of a coach, i just find myself blown away by Shaka's ability to squander talent/leads.

49 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I had to think about it, but if you gave me the choice I'd rather have Shaka coaching our basketball team than Charlie coaching our football team. 

I think. 

How about this as an alternate universe nightmare: Shaka coaching our football team and Charlie coaching our basketball team. 

take into account his buyout, he's the 3/4th highest paid coach in college basketball at season's end.  And I think we end maybe .500 overall for his 5 years here, maybe 1-2 games above.  What an out and out confidence game this all was.  

Fuck Steve Patterson. What a worthless POS.

He hurt this athletic program badly and it really pisses me off because with a little bit of decent due diligence the university would have realized he was a moron.

And then someone else goes out and pays this idiot a million dollars a year after he screws up Texas. The number of incompetent boobs making millions of dollars is staggering.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

He hurt this athletic program badly and it really pisses me off because with a little bit of decent due diligence the university would have realized he was a moron.

An hour on the phone with John Canzano and shipping him a bottle of nice wine would have done the trick.

Instead, we hired an absolute cancer for an AD.

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Are we back to rooting for losses in order to see a HC fired?

Won't even have to pull for more losses, cause remaining schedule gonna get Shaka fired...

Mon, Feb 3
@Kansas3 Kansas
L69-58 14-8 (4-5) .......    
Sat, Feb 8 L62-57 14-9 (4-6)      
DATE OPPONENT TIME TV  
Mon, Feb 10
vsBaylor1 Baylor
8:00 PM
espn-red@2x.png
LOSS
Sat, Feb 15 1:00 PM
espn-2@2x.png
LOSS
Wed, Feb 19
vsTCUTCU
7:00 PM
espn-longhorn@2x.png
????
Sat, Feb 22 1:00 PM
CBS
LOSS
Mon, Feb 24 6:00 PM
espn-U@2x.png
LOSS
Sat, Feb 29 11:00 AM   LOSS
Tue, Mar 3 8:00 PM   LOSS
Sat, Mar 7 3:00 PM   ????

Best possible regular season B12 Record for Texas is  6-12  

12 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

Is anyone wishing our Administration would pull their collective heads out their asses and stop hiring the type of coaches  that a fan base has to wish for losses to correct their mistakes 

Goes without saying...

giphy.gif

OH YEAH....

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

Shaka will be here for another year, that contract has us handcuffed. 

Get used to the ass-whippings.

I really don't know if this is accurate or not (the first half of it), but I absolutely do NOT believe his firing is a formality the way some do. I believe there is definitely a legitimate chance that this team could limp to 18 wins and miss the NCAAs and Shaka could still be back next year. 

2 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I really don't know if this is accurate or not (the first half of it), but I absolutely do NOT believe his firing is a formality the way some do. I believe there is definitely a legitimate chance that this team could limp to 18 wins and miss the NCAAs and Shaka could still be back next year. 

I've thought this for a while.  I think the buyout scares CDC, what with the SEZ project, new hitting facilities for the diamond sports, Moody Center all in the pipeline.  And potentially having to already do a WBB coaching search (in the last year of her contract) and he's probably praying every night that he doesn't have to do a FB coach search in December, but he's thinking of if he has to.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I've thought this for a while.  I think the buyout scares CDC, what with the SEZ project, new hitting facilities for the diamond sports, Moody Center all in the pipeline.  And potentially having to already do a WBB coaching search (in the last year of her contract) and he's probably praying every night that he doesn't have to do a FB coach search in December, but he's thinking of if he has to.

Agreed. I don't know CDC so I can't say how much emotion is involved in these kinds of decisions for him. Let's assume it's close to none. Logically, then, I can see where he'd want to keep his powder dry for the big moves he has to make/manage, as long as basketball isn't a huge thorn in his side. 

That comes back to this athletic department not being about winning first and foremost. As long as the men's basketball program isn't losing two-thirds of its games, as long as the NCAA's not sniffing around, as long as the players aren't in trouble with the law? As long as he's not taking a ton of heat from his bosses? CDC can roll with it. 

I mean, that could go on for a while. Another year at least. I would bet he will want to pair some forward momentum in the program with the opening of the new arena. We're lucky we at least have that constraint to force his hand, but that's a construction project. If delays push that opening to the start of the 22-23 season, then I won't be shocked if Smart coaches the team all the way through the 21-22 season. 

The feedback he got at the town hall was, "Man, it hurts that basketball doesn't win more, that's why we're apathetic". It wasn't "FIX THE BASKETBALL PROGRAM MOTHERFUCKER" the way it would have been if he had been the AD in 2016 and had appeared to drag his feet on making a football coaching change. 

Basketball sucks, but it sucks in a "gosh darn it" kind of way. 

If money & prestige matter, then men's basketball is second only to football at UT.  I can't seeing Karen Aston's contract being an issue that can compete with Shaka Smart in terms of priorities.  Her team is somewhere around #30 in the country, which falls short of CDC's "top 10" mandate, but less so than the men's team.  

Regardless, she makes so much less money than Shaka.  A tiny raise and a short extension is a non-issue.  If she leaves, she leaves.  Bye.

Tom Herman is clearly doing better than Shaka Smart.  Sure, we've lost plenty of games we shouldn't have -- that's his Achilles heel.  We've also won all 3 bowl games, at least 2 of which were against pretty highly regarded opponents, and all 3 were ass-whippings

If I were CDC, I'd rather pull the trigger on Shaka now and then go back to the donors with hat in hand if Herman flames out this year.  It's a defensible position -- they care a helluva lot more about football than basketball, so it's worth the risk to buy out Shaka and hope shit doesn't hit the fan in December.  Imagine trying to can Shaka at the end of 2021 with two years left AND having already taken it in the shorts buying out Tom Herman?  It's better to flip that script.  

• Like 1

The main reason this team cannot compete is the lack of guards or scoring guards who can create their own shot, shoot from distance and finish at the rim. 

Myck Kabongo, Zay Taylor & Snoop Roach were close but all had broke jumpers and were erratic in the paint. J'Covan was probably the last guard we had that fits into that mold, but I digress. Shaka has been poor with recruiting guards and it shows every year he has been here.

24 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This conversation felt ridiculous last year,

when a guy goes 11-22, leukemia or no leukemia, doesn't he HAVE to show more progress than this? did winning the fucking NIT really buy this chump that much more time? 

I fear the answers are "not if he's an unbelievable guy" and "yes it did".

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

He’d lose a lot of basketball fans for a long time.

This is already a problem. We’ve been so bad for so long that my 11 year old doesn’t even remotely care about longhorn basketball. It’s partly my fault because I’ve quit watching them too over the last couple of years because it really is a chore to watch them play (not a fun style of basketball at all). 

He called me on Saturday to ask what time the Duke-UNC game started. I asked him who won the Texas game and his response was “I have no idea”. (He loves Texas football more than anything, though).

The longer we suck, the sooner these kids become a fan of a winning program (look at all the Golden State warriors gear running around elementary schools and middle schools and more recently Laker gear). Kids want to root for a winner.

1 hour ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

The main reason this team cannot compete is the lack of guards or scoring guards who can create their own shot, shoot from distance and finish at the rim. 

Myck Kabongo, Zay Taylor & Snoop Roach were close but all had broke jumpers and were erratic in the paint. J'Covan was probably the last guard we had that fits into that mold, but I digress. Shaka has been poor with recruiting guards and it shows every year he has been here.

apparently you don't stretch 4 or 3 and D wing, sir.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic