Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

CDC isn’t doing what he is paid to do. That’s for sure. He might be sitting back thinking “fuck, I left a kush job for high profile and now I have to make 3 decisions in 2 years that might kill my career”. Talking Herman, Shaka, Herman. He fires Shaka and he better pray that Herman gets it done in the fall. He doesn’t fire Shaka and he better pray Herman gets it done AND Shaka gets it done. On top of that, what if he fires Shaka and the replacement sucks just as bad and then he has to fire Herman???

his only way out of this mess is to fire Shaka, make a great hire with immediate results (even just a ncaa berth) and then hope to god Herman doesn’t get himself fired. It seems he’s more comfortable just sitting than making these big decisions. 

20 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

CDC isn’t doing what he is paid to do. That’s for sure. He might be sitting back thinking “fuck, I left a kush job for high profile and now I have to make 3 decisions in 2 years that might kill my career”. Talking Herman, Shaka, Herman. He fires Shaka and he better pray that Herman gets it done in the fall. He doesn’t fire Shaka and he better pray Herman gets it done AND Shaka gets it done. On top of that, what if he fires Shaka and the replacement sucks just as bad and then he has to fire Herman??? 

his only way out of this mess is to fire Shaka, make a great hire with immediate results (even just a ncaa berth) and then hope to god Herman doesn’t get himself fired. It seems he’s more comfortable just sitting than making these big decisions. 

What are you even talking about?  Your post reads like some teenage girl internet message board fan fiction.  "Oh no! CDC is going to have to make big boy decisions like a real AD! Whatever shall he do?!?!"

Who gives a fuck if he fires Shaka and then has to fire Herman?  Most Texas fans will be glad he had the stones to do what he had to do.

• Like 2

The wet tissue paper psyche of this team is pretty remarkable. It’s like the better teams who face us just coast in the first half because they know they can play 10% harder in the second half and cause Shaka’s teams to fucking flail around in total panic mode.

Shaka is a pussy, too. When’s the last time he tried to work a ref? Beard was yelling at the refs every time they passed him on the floor, and what do you know? He gets to shoot 20 free throws. 

Shaka meanwhile acts like a YMCA coach, jumping around like a spaz and getting into his “D” stance and shit. Like a junior high football coach who yells a lot because he has no idea what he’s doing. Trying to project an image that he’s not completely and utterly  lost out there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

we don't hire known cheaters, and especially not ones who don't play an attractive style of basketball. 

Holy shit this is rich coming from a Rick Barnes fanboi. If by attractive style, you mean not losing, then yes, why would Texas fans want that.

Not that it matters UH is the better program historical and today. Doubtful you are getting Sampson to leave, especially since UH is teed up for his son to take over whenever Sampson retires. Not too mention his daughter is heavily enough at UH as well.

Edited by HtownHorn

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Holy shit this is rich coming from a Rick Barnes fanboi. If by attractive style, you mean not losing, then yes, why would Texas fans want that.

I've done extensive posting on this, as it's easily one of the biggest misconceptions about Rick Barnes during his time at Texas. He was a better offensive coach than he was defensive coach, and it's not even close. He regularly orchestrated some of the top scoring offenses in the nation, and was better overall at AdjO at Texas than he was at AdjD. How easily people forget how badass we were offensively for more than a decade under Barnes, all the way through 2011. We ran some of the most uptempo, high scoring, fun-to-watch offenses in the country under Rick Barnes. That's a fact. 

47 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I've done extensive posting on this, as it's easily one of the biggest misconceptions about Rick Barnes during his time at Texas. He was a better offensive coach than he was defensive coach, and it's not even close. He regularly orchestrated some of the top scoring offenses in the nation, and was better overall at AdjO at Texas than he was at AdjD. How easily people forget how badass we were offensively for more than a decade under Barnes, all the way through 2011. We ran some of the most uptempo, high scoring, fun-to-watch offenses in the country under Rick Barnes. That's a fact. 

It all changed for Rick when his personal life went sideways, much of his energy was on convincing his wife not to leave him. He never truly recovered while here. His decision making, player development and management of his staff regressed. Best thing that happened to him was being able to hit the reset button at a new program. 

7 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Agree with this, and am now thinking where is pressure coming from to fire Shaka?  

Cdc can sit back and wait until pressure is great enough for him to say to bmds okay, you want him gone, give me money for buyout.  I used to think new arena was deadline, but the new arena will sell out the first year, regardless of who the coach is.

my revised deadline is end of first year in new arena.  Buyout will be low then.  

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

And?  You pay a guy $10 million not to be the coach.  

they're two different things. buyouts don't change year on year and usually involve severance packages for the assistant coaches. but hey, we're Texas basketball fans, so who cares if we know what we're talking about, so long as we're angry and entitled.

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

Honestly what’s the point of retaining Shaka through the end of this season? He’s due the same buyout regardless. Let’s see how our players react to another interim guy in charge. Absolutely no way he should finish the season.

Lmao at Derka talking about Rick Barnes

In this day and age you keep him through the end of the season to prevent a mass transfer. Contrary to popular opinion we do have some worthwhile parts on this team. Coleman, Sims, Kai Jones, Hepa, AJ1, Donovan Williams,  and maybe even Baker are worthwhile parts to keep around for a quality coach. A decent couch would get a tournament bid out of those guys. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

17 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

when? you mean when i replied to someone else who brought him up? 

Don’t take the bait. You don’t need to white knight for him at every mention on this board. He is gone and never coming back. 

The name “Barnes” is not a bat signal. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 2

The man would put Dogus Balbay, Justin Mason, and Dexter Pittman on the court at the same time. Dogus would be relegated to setting screens in order to be useful (loved me some Dogus). Things look good when you have TJ Ford, Kevin Durant, and DJ Augustin. When DJ left, that hailed the end of good offenses (at least when his later teams didnt out-talent their opponents).

Barnes was a defensive coach at heart. If you were not a willing defender, he had no use for you. Towards the end, he was also intolerant of bad shot selection, and would routinely yank then yell at dudes for one missed shot. Bad offense-I’m tired of it.

8 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Don’t take the bait. You don’t need to white knight for him at every mention on this board. He is gone and never coming back. 

The name “Barnes” is not a bat signal. 

the fuck? now only certain posts in the thread are fair game to respond to? how is someone directly addressing both me and Barnes "a bat signal" in your eyes? fuck outta here. how about you chumps stop whining every single time i respond to a post about him? or is every post i make a bat signal for your tired. whiny, crap?

9 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Outside of the DJ Augustin years the key ingredients to Barnes' surprisingly efficient offenses were our offensive rebounding numbers and the ability to get to the FT line. Barnes wasn't running anything exotic or remarkable on the offensive end (I remember talk of installing the Utah Jazz offense in like 2008 or 2008). Nor was he pushing tempo outside of when DJ was here. However we absolutely dominated the offensive boards, got to the free throw line, and took quality 3 pt shots (basically did what Baylor is doing this year). In college basketball simple things like this are all that are necessary for an upper quintile offensive efficiency rating. Barnes offenses weren't aesthetically pleasing which is why people tend to bristle with your truth telling on how effective his offenses were, but they got the job done. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Texting recruits too many times hardly qualifies as being a POS IMO. 

Is this where we're at? Kelvin Sampson is an okay guy and only cheated a little, just that one time? Come on, man. I'm all for change and I don't think Texas is lily white in its program cleanliness for a second, but I don't fucking want Kelvin Sampson any more than I would want Bruce Pearl or a lucid Jerry Tarkanian. 

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

the fuck? now only certain posts in the thread are fair game to respond to? how is someone directly addressing both me and Barnes "a bat signal" in your eyes? fuck outta here. how about you chumps stop whining every single time i respond to a post about him? or is every post i make a bat signal for your tired. whiny, crap?

The poster named "ChickenSandwich" was correct. You don't have to respond when someone is obviously trolling you. It's not a sign of weakness to ignore them and stick with context of the actual thread. No one is going to view you as less of a poster or man for ignoring dipshittery around you on these threads. It's not everyone's "tired, whiny crap". You are a good poster when you are not practicing the art of buffoonery by sprinting from one Barnes take to the next on this board. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, dcar00 said:

we just gotta make the play in game and then "FINAL FOUR run" here we come!  Thats why we hired him right?  Certainly not because his history shows he knows how to build a winning program. 

Image result for vicki i was conned gif

9 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

but the new arena will sell out the first year, regardless of who the coach is.

Do you have any basis for this or are you just throwing this out there?

I don’t think ticket sales and the related revenue really factor in too much either way, but new arena or not, I don’t see any way we sell out if Shaka is the coach. He’ll, I’m not even sure we’d sell out with a new HC in place for the new arena. 

There's a lot of stupidity on this thread regarding CDC.  None of this falls on his shoulders, yet.  The guy has actually opened the pocket books for assistant coaches the last couple of years.  CDC did not hire or extend Shaka.  He also will not fire Shaka without the money to do so.  Shaka only gets fired this year if a BMD or two are willing to pony up the money for the rest of the contract plus the new coaches buyout.  If no one is willing to do that then Shaka will be back next year.  CDC also has a track record of hiring pretty damn good coaches.  Just look at his hires at Texas already.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yall are fucking regarded if yall think Shaka is coming back next season

You know the president of our university gave his floor-level tickets for last night's game to a Baylor cocksucker, right? Fenves doesn't care, the BMDs don't really care, so CDC doesn't feel enough pressure yet to have to try to bite the financial bullet and make the move.

We're probably going to tread water a little longer because it's too expensive and not worth the hassle to CDC yet.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic