Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

Very few if any high paid coaches resign, unless it’s for scandal. Too many dollars left on the table.

Resigning for health issues ( real, not Urbanesque) or family ones like Chris Petersen happens occasionally.

Trying to think of anyone in a major sport who resigned because of years of shitty results....not coming up with any right off.

8 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

I thought UT nailed it when they hired him. How did he make a Final Four?

any time you take a coach from a mid major conf, that has never won said conf multiple times, you are talking a 50/50 proposition or worse.

This is a prime example as to why you don't hire off of ONE tournament run. he got lucky.  while they did play good D his team was out of its mind from deep in most of the games.

The biggest red flag is that we hired him even though whoever interviewed him knew he was not going to run havoc and run an offense he had never run before.

he was a coin flip just like Charlie/Tom/Pierce  we are 0 for 2 and might even end up 0 for 4.  although Charlie and Shaka were/have been beyond abysmal. can't even make tournament or bowl games

The administration wanted so much for Shaka to be right that we gave him a stupid extension after getting to the tournament and losing to Northern Iowa in the first round.

Our Ath Dept was a festering boil for 10 years with zero plan.  Del Conte may be cleaning it up but we'll see what he does with basketball(mens and womens).  he did good with Track and Softball.  

Can't blame losing by 29 points on just injuries.  These Texas players are poorly coached and motivated.  Shaka's sideline demeaner and in-game adjustments are a joke.  It's obvious that B12 officials have no respect for Shaka by the way Texas games are officiated...

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-basketball-Shaka-Smart-hot-seat-quotes-81-52-loss-Iowa-State-Cyclones-143862425/

"Texas head coach Shaka Smart knew he was taking a team on the road to face Iowa State without Jericho Sims (back) and Jase Febres (knee). He didn’t plan on the Longhorns losing Matt Coleman to a foot injury, but the Cyclones were playing with nowhere near a full deck due to projected NBA lottery pick Tyrese Haliburton dealing with a broken wrist and watching from the bench.  While Iowa State found a way to work around Haliburton’s injury by getting contributions from other players in the lineup, Texas stumbled to an embarrassing road loss. The 81-52 thrashing the Cyclones handed the Longhorns dropped Texas to 14-11 overall and 4-8 in Big 12 play, putting Smart’s club two league losses away from needing to win the Big 12 tournament in order to secure a berth in the NCAA Tournament.

The fifth loss for Texas this season by at least 15 points might be the lowest point in a season chock full of them. It’s one thing to be humbled by a ranked West Virginia club, which the Longhorns were in a 97-59 beatdown suffered in Morgantown on Jan. 20, but it‘s another to never be in a game facing a club with a losing record and missing its best player where the opponent to shot 57.7 percent (the most allowed by Texas this season) and averaged 1.27 points per possession while you shot the ball at a 29.3-percent clip (a season-low) with a season-worst 17 field goals made. "

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

The 81-52 thrashing the Cyclones handed the Longhorns dropped Texas to 14-11 overall and 4-8 in Big 12 play, putting Smart’s club two league losses away from needing to win the Big 12 tournament in order to secure a berth in the NCAA Tournament.

Lulz. Ok. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

From someone who never watches basketball until January, how in the world did this team win 14 games? 

Jericho Sims and a crappy OOC schedule.  Our interior D is gone and will expose our shitty perimeter D.

Edited by dcar00

2 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

From someone who never watches basketball until January, how in the world did this team win 14 games? 

Being reining NIT champs helped us bully our way through the toilet paper OOC gauntlet.

I am positive he will have this situation turned around for the NIT first round.

That's really what matters to Bellmont.

Edited by El Squared
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I don't think he has any supporters left. It's just a question of money at this point...

Wescott Eberts. He's still on twitter trashing anyone who is at all critical of Shaka. just last night said that the reason Texas is so poor is that it was simply bad timing that Shaka took over our team right as the roster was about turn over (right, because that's the reason we suck in February 2020), and he even blamed Rick Barnes for Shaka's failures, claiming that Rick's inability to sign a PG for the 2015 recruiting class was more to blame than anything Shaka has done (never mind that Shaka signed Matt Coleman right after that. dude is a lunatic.

Edited by Goo Punch

what a bunch of fucking whiners on this board.  everyone complains about everything. 

we've beaten N Colorado, Prairie View, Cal Baptist, McNeese State, UAB, C Mich., High Point and the Mighty Aggies from Texas A & M.  We're just unlucky and have bad timing.

Edited by smwhorn
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Wescott Eberts. He's still on twitter trashing anyone who is at all critical of Shaka. just last night said that the reason Texas is so poor is that it was simply bad timing that Shaka took over our team right as the roster was about turn over (right, because that's the reason we suck in February 2020), and he even blamed Rick Barnes for Shaka's failures, claiming that Rick's inability to sign a PG for the 2015 recruiting class was more to blame than anything Shaka has done (never mind that Shaka signed Matt Coleman right after that. dude is a lunatic.

Screenshot-2020-02-16-Wescott-Eberts-SBN

The little snowflake blocked me after I called him out on his bullshit. He's making all kinds of excuses and lashing out at anyone that disagrees with him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chad said:

The little snowflake blocked me after I called him out on his bullshit. He's making all kinds of excuses and lashing out at anyone that disagrees with him.

Isn’t he the little bitch behind Burnt Horns Nation? I got banned from their Twitter account last year after calling them out on their incessant defending of Shaka. I eventually called him as bad as Liucci in his spreading of propaganda and that was enough for him.

Fuck him

• Like 2

How can anyone defend the level of play from Texas? It doesn't matter who we put on the court. Bad coaching is bad coaching. Injuries or not. It's embarrassing to root for Texas basketball at this point if you played any level of pee-wee to middle school basketball.  There are a lot of nice people who are really bad at their jobs. When you add in overcompensated by a large margin, it becomes painful to think about. 

49 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

Isn’t he the little bitch behind Burnt Horns Nation? I got banned from their Twitter account last year after calling them out on their incessant defending of Shaka. I eventually called him as bad as Liucci in his spreading of propaganda and that was enough for him.

Fuck him

Yepper, he runs BON. Wescott and Bitterwhiteguy always slob on Shaka's knob despite being thrashed by terrible Providence and ISU teams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chad said:

The little snowflake blocked me...

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

lol, what a pussy

So is “snowflake” just the accepted PC way to mock a man’s masculinity these days without technically bringing gender and/or sexuality into the conversation?

I was extremely annoyed with the bitch-assed-ness play of my high school alma mater’s Houston opponent in the soccer final yesterday, but I couldn’t think of a way in English or Spanish to mock their masculinity in a PC way.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I was living out of the country when the whole “snowflake” phenomenon started and I was confused by it. 

29 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yeah BWG is like me, big optimist by nature. Shaka's the first Texas bball coach I've met in person, I think he's a great dude, but it's not good for anyone now. Much like when Barnes hit the end of his tether but even worse.

Honestly, interested in this as a case study for CDC's revenue sport hiring. Baseball has (waaaay too early) started hot and Herman has a really nice chance to have a good season this year before things get real difficult in 2021, so this might be our only look this year. Softball and track have been very strong. 

3 hours ago, Chad said:

I'd never call someone a snowflake because it's been so tied to politics but holy fuck is Wescott an Eeyore.

His article about how Erick Fowler committing to LSU was for all intents and purposes the end of Texas football was one for the ages, and it's aged like an 80s Chateau Margaux.

So is “snowflake” just the accepted PC way to mock a man’s masculinity these days without technically bringing gender and/or sexuality into the conversation?
 I was extremely annoyed with the bitch-assed-ness play of my high school alma mater’s Houston opponent in the soccer final yesterday, but I couldn’t think of a way in English or Spanish to mock their masculinity in a PC way.
FULL DISCLOSURE: I was living out of the country when the whole “snowflake” phenomenon started and I was confused by it. 

Don’t make it personal-say you are disappointed in their lack of vigor on the pitch. Then toss your scarf around your neck and make a dramatic exit.
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Wow.... His splits now...

FG: 15.9%

3's: 4.0%

FT: 10.0%

Rebs: 1.7

6.4 minutes per game

Has there ever been a worse line in the history of basketball? I'm serious about this. I feel like if I went out there and played the same minutes I would have better stats (and I haven't played competitively in 25 years).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chad said:

Imagine being such a humorless, thin-skinned little bitch that your un-ironic twitter bio is, “if you haven’t earned my respect, I don’t care about your opinion.”

Seriously, who writes that?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fastbreak said:

Has there ever been a worse line in the history of basketball? I'm serious about this. I feel like if I went out there and played the same minutes I would have better stats (and I haven't played competitively in 25 years).

It is into some pretty rare territory. 

9 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Just looked up John Beilein...

He's 67 years-old. Hopefully the fire still burns and he'd love to burn that fire for 4 to 10 years in Austin, but he may be at a point where he wants to retire and then run a few summer camps each year. 

If he wants to get back into the college game, I'd be happy to have him come on down to Austin.

FROM Wikipedia: 

Beilein finished his career at Michigan with a 278–150 record in 12 seasons as head coach, including...
two trips to the national title game
- two Big Ten titles
two Big Ten Tournament titles

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 9:37 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

Bitterwhiteguy is still giving Smart a 20% chance to be back next year. I hope that's on the high side, I fear it's on the low side.

I don't see a realistic way he stays unless I've overestimated CDC's grasp on the situation - or everybody has overestimated his fundraising abilities - but it's still possible he doesn't find a landing spot elsewhere and the money is still a sticking point. Maybe I just don't want to consider that CDC would run this thing back yet again expecting/hoping for different results. Things I've heard make me believe gears are already turning, but the 20% is a hedge against the unknown.

• Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

This is definitely getting mentioned on the podcast.

I'm innately optimistic as well. I was with Barnes and I was hopeful for a long time with Shaka, but at a certain point it becomes difficult to overlook or explain away the flaws or mistakes. I remember trying to justify Shaka's decision to not recruit a true PG in the year following his 1st season. I'll never understand coaches who don't create a sense of urgency within their program from the jump. In this day an age, when there are so many options to supplement your roster, there was simply no excuse for the piss poor management of the roster following his first season. That horrible job pretty much did him in from the jump and he has no one to blame but himself. Chris Beard gets it. He refuses to waste a season. Every year he tries to fill up potential holes on his roster by any means necessary, and to a lesser extent Scott Drew does the same thing. Bob Huggins did it as well this past off-season. You can't waste a year and stifle your momentum, because if you do it's extremely difficult to get it going again. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I'm innately optimistic as well. I was with Barnes and I was hopeful for a long time with Shaka, but at a certain point it becomes difficult to overlook or explain away the flaws or mistakes. I remember trying to justify Shaka's decision to not recruit a true PG in the year following his 1st season. I'll never understand coaches who don't create a sense of urgency within their program from the jump. In this day an age, when there are so many options to supplement your roster, there was simply no excuse for the piss poor management of the roster following his first season. That horrible job pretty much did him in from the jump and he has no one to blame but himself. Chris Beard gets it. He refuses to waste a season. Every year he tries to fill up potential holes on his roster by any means necessary, and to a lesser extent Scott Drew does the same thing. Bob Huggins did it as well this past off-season. You can't waste a year and stifle your momentum, because if you do it's extremely difficult to get it going again. 

He recruited one in De'Aaron Fox, he just didn't land one. If he gets Fox, Andrew Jones ends up at Baylor or Arizona instead. Whether that's a net-positive to you or not, I don't know.

There were so many positions to fill in that first off-season - 5 graduating seniors & 1 NBA early entry - that it was bound to have some holes. The fact that Shaka's first class/Barnes' last class was mostly a wash-out was a big problem as well. It's hard to come back from two classes which combined to have so many players who were either 1 & done (Allen), 4-year players who transferred/washed themselves out (Banks, Mack, Young), or transfers who didn't contribute as much as anticipated for whatever reason (Isom, maybe Osetkowski?).

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic