Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is only one team, but I was trying to think of a coach who had been at a single school for a long time. Here’s KU’s 3 PT %s over the years:

11-12: .345 (157th)

12-13: .364 (65th)

13-14: .340 (188th)

14-15: .379 (47th)

15-16: .418 (4th)

16-17: .404 (6th)

17-18: .401 (11th)

18-19: .350 (143rd)

19-20: .350 (95th) 

Overall, 3 point shooting is very player-dependent and it’s not like certain coaches can always identify 3 point shooters while others can’t, so trying to look at a coach’s 3 point shooting numbers, isn’t going to be a very reliable method unless they can show consistently good performances over many, many years through different rosters and different assistants.

FWIW, Beilein’s also been all over the place.

12-13: .385 (18th)

13-14: .402 (5th)

14-15: .359 (96th)

15-16: .380 (38th)

16-17: .385 (36th)

17-18: .357 (136th)

18-19: .342 (193rd)

top 50 shooting clubs on both of their lists.  you aren't going to be top 50 all the time.  if you have a good offensive philosophy and good D you can adjust your offense when you are deficient in shooters and still win consistently in CBB. making tourney and possibly sweet 16.  or you can have an otherworldly PG.

the years you do have the top 50 clubs can be special.  

whats Shaka's numbers?

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

top 50 shooting clubs on both of their lists.  you aren't going to be top 50 all the time.  if you have a good offensive philosophy and good D you can adjust your offense when you are deficient in shooters and still win consistently in CBB. making tourney and possibly sweet 16.  or you can have an otherworldly PG.

the years you do have the top 50 clubs can be special.  

whats Shaka's numbers?

They're both very good offensive coaches. I was just showing their 3 point rankings to show that percentage is high variance and not consistent year to year.  Beilein is a great offensive coach, and I'd be thrilled to have him. 

I think our offensive numbers were actually pretty decent last year, but most years we've been absolutely putrid on offense under him, unsurprisingly. 

6 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Not playing checkers while every other coach in this conference is playing chess.

That isn't the case dude, they're all playing chess and someone has to lose. TCU is having the exact same season as we are this year, do you also think Dixon must under no circumstances be kept on another year? He also missed the dance last year and lost to us in New York.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

48 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

We need to stop feeding the Cameltoe troll. Based upon today’s postings, there’s no way he’s stupid enough to believe the words he types. Has to be a troll. 

on the one hand i agree with you in principle; on the other hand, seeing as how everything that he says ultimately ends up being the opposite of what actually happens, i kinda want him to keep talking about how Shaka definitely deserves another year.

Kenpom has us #83.  We dove below SMU and North Texas far faster than I imagined.  I counted 19 so called major conference teams below us.  9 of them are between 83 and 100.  Even if we beat TCU and then lose out, we could easily slip below #100.  Texas State is #100.  Think about that for a moment.  Hey at least we're not down there with the Ags, at #170!

As bad as we are even this Texas team will not be the worst major team in Texas.  That honor will go to Aggy.  Hey, so we won't quite make the top 100 this year.  Ummmmm, give Shaka a little bit more time?  HA!!!!!

Maybe we've been thinking about this all wrong. Maybe Shaka deserves a mulligan for five years because being a college basketball coach is hard. It's even harder if, heaven forbid, you have to play a couple of teams that are considered to actually be good. And we'd all surely agree that this Horns team would be doing better if they played in my neighborhood Pee-Wee league. So maybe we should just thank Shaka for all his effort in such an impossible situation. After all, it's not like we're paying him a bunch of money or anything. 

Hmm...

Or we could just say "fuck him" and hire a coach who can field a team that isn't a never-ending embarrassment. 

1 hour ago, Tired Horn said:

Maybe we've been thinking about this all wrong. Maybe Shaka deserves a mulligan for five years because being a college basketball coach is hard. It's even harder if, heaven forbid, you have to play a couple of teams that are considered to actually be good. And we'd all surely agree that this Horns team would be doing better if they played in my neighborhood Pee-Wee league. So maybe we should just thank Shaka for all his effort in such an impossible situation. After all, it's not like we're paying him a bunch of money or anything. 

Hmm...

Or we could just say "fuck him" and hire a coach who can field a team that isn't a never-ending embarrassment. 

Don't forget about all the bad luck he's had

• Like 2

Fear not: for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy. Also, it sounds like Smart is really gone and they are loading up for bear. If true, CDC is going with the go big or go home approach and I'll take it. I don't think Beilein is the guy if that shit is true.

Also also, if Williams retires at UNC after this season, Beard to UNC is highly probable. It doesn't matter how much the techtards want to tell us that he loves Lubbock. That shit reminds me all the way back to the fall of 2019, when LSU fuckheads sprinted up and down threads on various boards to let everyone know that Joe Brady loved Baton Rouge and knew he had a lot to learn, was locked down into a new financial deal, and enjoyed working under the warming glow of Emsminger or whatever the fuck that dipshit's name is. @Kyrie Eleison , holla;@Iceman slorch, holla. I'm forgetting some of less regrettable LSU and Tech posters or I'd taunt their asses too.

None of this comes from anywhere local. I'm guessing the buzz inside the UT camp is about to amp way the fuck up if the rumors are legit.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Fear not: for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy. Also, it sounds like Smart is really gone and they are loading up for bear. If true, CDC is going with the go big or go home approach and I'll take it. I don't think Beilein is the guy if that shit is true.

so...finally sounds like Texas is going to (hopefully) money whip someone - like they should basically do for every major position they have open!

season 1 dollar dollar bills yall GIF

Edited by NoName
  • Like 2

In the Denver airport water fountain line, I just told a guy wearing an iowa State hat:

”I went to Texas and I want to thank you for beating us by 29 points a few days ago.”

He responded: “I don’t know if that’s going to be enough to get rid of your coach.” 

We both agreed that we liked the guy, but I added “Unfortunately he can’t coach.”

I was at the dentist’s for the first half of the day. Have we had a regime change yet?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

None of this comes from anywhere local. I'm guessing the buzz inside the UT camp is about to amp way the fuck up if the rumors are legit.

Damn you for getting my hopes up. 

Although if Beilein is the less exciting of the options, then sign me the fuck up. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Assuming we aren’t about to go full black hat and hire Rick Pitino, I’m struggling coming up with a bigger name than Beilein even in the money whip scenario.  Billy Donovan?   Tripling Tony Bennett’s or Jay Wright’s salary?  

Knew Wright's name was going to come up, here's an article from today wrt the Knicks, basically saying he'd need to be overwhelmed by an offer to leave Nova

https://www.nj.com/sports/2020/02/nba-rumors-latest-on-knicks-interest-in-villanovas-jay-wright.html

I do think Bennett is in that top tier of potentially attainable college coaches.  Kinda tough to say who else would be in that mix.  Chris Mack is making 4 mil a year at a BASKETBALL school, are you really able to get someone like him? Aside from Beilein, don't expect any NBA head coaches to be remotely in the mix.  I wouldn't be surprised if Royal Ivey's name is thrown around basically as our Juwan Howard equivalent to Michigan, but doesn't fit what CTJ is saying.

49 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

we've been told on this here message board that, like Beard in Lubbock, Bennett is so in love with everything about Virginia that no one can ever hope to pry him loose

multiple people have gone on and on about how superior Charlottesville is to Austin, and for those haven't seen it this is not a joke. to hear them tell it, Austin is to Charlottesville what Lubbock is to Austin. 

• Like 1

I'm on board. I originally thought Shaka was the right pick, but he's proven me wrong. Bring me a new guy who can recruit and coach. I'd like for the conference and NCAA tournaments to mean something again.

Went to grad school at UVA (way back when). Charlottesville is a college town, not a college city. Some people like towns, some like cities. That said, a lot of money can make town people move. Bennett would be a great get.

We aren't gonna money whip Bennett. He turned down a hefty raise from UVA after winning the championship, basically saying that he made more than enough money already. And then he and his wife donated $500K towards a career development initiative for UVA players. I guess he could get restless and look for  new challenge, but money ain't the key for Bennett. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

multiple people have gone on and on about how superior Charlottesville is to Austin, and for those haven't seen it this is not a joke. to hear them tell it, Austin is to Charlottesville what Lubbock is to Austin. 

My daughter (no pics, I’ll fucking cut you man) chose UVA over UT. I don’t know why anyone would leave Charlottesville for  Austin. And I’m a Texas grad as were both of my parents. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

My daughter (no pics, I’ll fucking cut you man) chose UVA over UT. I don’t know why anyone would leave Charlottesville for  Austin. And I’m a Texas grad as were both of my parents. 

Sadly, however, we all know someone who left Richmond for Austin.

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

In the Denver airport water fountain line, I just told a guy wearing an iowa State hat:

”I went to Texas and I want to thank you for beating us by 29 points a few days ago.”

He responded: “I don’t know if that’s going to be enough to get rid of your coach.” 

We both agreed that we liked the guy, but I added “Unfortunately he can’t coach.”

I was at the dentist’s for the first half of the day. Have we had a regime change yet?

And everybody clapped

Don’t know much about Bennett beyond the obvious. Donovan may be tired of the NBA. Some of the deals this big could involve structured finance in the future, especially on the back end to make them make sense for the elite institutions with A grade credit, which isn’t many.

I want to see how true or guessy this sorts itself over the next few months. Guys like Bennett could well be the guy. Beard is allegedly not for reasons stated after asking specifically. BD was mentioned without prompting. I don’t think Royal Ivey or anyone like that is on the radar. I mentioned him first on this thread like a year ago but that is ice cold. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 8:52 AM, Red Five said:

The 81-52 thrashing the Cyclones handed the Longhorns dropped Texas to 14-11 overall and 4-8 in Big 12 play, putting Smart’s club two league losses away from needing to win the Big 12 tournament in order to secure a berth in the NCAA Tournament.

lulz. ok.

tenor.gif

Edited by Rimbo

On 2/17/2020 at 9:52 AM, Camelback80 said:

Shaka should definitely get at least one more year. Many of his recruits will finally be upperclassmen by then, and he'll have his best shot of any year he's been here.

Fans need to realize 2 major things:

1. UT is not a basketball school where lofty expectations are unquestionably in order, and finding the "right coach" is all that's needed to suddenly change everything. You guys think who the coach is matters way more than it actually does.

2. Shaka's entire performance all the years he's been here have been seen through the lens of the strongest conference in basketball. You could take the exact same Texas teams he's had and put them in C-USA and they would win conference titles. They'd get invites to the NCAA tournament because of it, and they'd get bounced early, but by and large the optics of it all would be decent and there would be much less fan unrest.

On 2/16/2020 at 11:56 AM, longhornmatt said:

Was the strength and conditioning lady getting fired by KU and that’s how we hired her?  If not, WTF was she thinking leaving KU for Shaka?

KU switched the structural philosophy, so she went from reporting to Bill Self to reporting to somebody in the medical school.

The football guy left, too.

44 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Beilein is Rick Barnes pt 2 (which isnt necessarily a bad thing?). But he’d be 68 at the time of hiring, so its not happening.

Also, 22 second mark:

Beilein for 4-6yrs could significantly improve the Texas program and there's no buyout to get him.  May be the best current solution CDC has right now to replace Shaka...

siap

Eyes on Brown: The father of Vandegrift basketball star Greg Brown III told me Tuesday little has changed in the recruitment of his 6′8″ son. But he reiterated the family line that he is only considering Texas if it retains Shaka Smart. Asked for an update, he said that the possibility of Smart’s firing “definitely will send Greg elsewhere.” 

https://www.statesman.com/sports/20200218/bohls-big-12-itrsquos-your-turn-to-step-up

2 minutes ago, torre said:

siap

Eyes on Brown: The father of Vandegrift basketball star Greg Brown III told me Tuesday little has changed in the recruitment of his 6′8″ son. But he reiterated the family line that he is only considering Texas if it retains Shaka Smart. Asked for an update, he said that the possibility of Smart’s firing “definitely will send Greg elsewhere.” 

https://www.statesman.com/sports/20200218/bohls-big-12-itrsquos-your-turn-to-step-up

who cares.  

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, torre said:

siap

If ever there was a time for the "well, bye" gif...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, torre said:

siap

Whooptie Fucking Do.  Shaka done shit with a handful of one and dones. What makes anyone think this guy would be any different in the S3?

7 minutes ago, torre said:

siap....    Eyes on Brown: The father of Vandegrift basketball star Greg Brown III told me Tuesday little has changed in the recruitment of his 6′8″ son. But he reiterated the family line that he is only considering Texas if it retains Shaka Smart. Asked for an update, he said that the possibility of Smart’s firing “definitely will send Greg elsewhere.” 

If Texas quickly hires Beilein, maybe "will send Greg elsewhere" just means Greg's college coach could be John Beilein... 😀 

Edited by LTtxfan

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic