Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

That's bizarre. "My son will be coached by Shaka Smart at Texas, but it will be a cold day in hell when he's coached by Billy Donovan or John Beilein!". 

Translation: We know my kid’s not going to Texas, but we live in Austin and need a convenient excuse to get people off our backs. 

• Like 3

I wonder if among the recruits , Shaka is seen as a coach who lets a player do what they want on the court with no repercussions. Practices are not hard and he's not going to  get in your face. If a recruit thinks they are going to make $ playing ball(see all) than they just want to work on their game. Ever since Texas games became Bamba's 3 point shooting practice , I believe this to be true.

No CR, but is pretty hilarious how many people see 67 as too old to coach basketball, but 5 of the 6 most likely people to win the presidential election are 77, 78, 73, 77, and 70, with the 70 being the least likely of the 5. Too old for the pick-and-roll, but unilateral control over the largest nuclear arsenal on the planet? Sure!!

• Like 4

Given the weather and the recent performance, would a turnout of 3,200 tonight for TCU send any kinda signal to CDC and Shaka that things aren't going well?  

Perhaps due to schadenfruede, we may just hang out to Shaka one more year so we can open the new arena with a new coach and a clean slate.  Only downside is that's horribly unfair to some of the real hustle guys on this team.  But no need to worry about how it'll effect current committments because there fucking aren't any! 

Last night, I watched a grown man pay $1,250 for 2 tickets to a private small group dinner with Shaka in mid-April in kind of a silent auction deal  I was there with my wife who is a volunteer.  I wanted to grab the man and shake him vigorously and ask what was wrong with him.  It's not that Shaka is not interesting to dine with...he is very charismatic and a great story-teller.  It's just why in the hell do you think he'll still be in Austin in mid-April?  I felt bad for the guy.  Then I felt bad for our program.  

6 hours ago, torre said:

siap

Eyes on Brown: The father of Vandegrift basketball star Greg Brown III told me Tuesday little has changed in the recruitment of his 6′8″ son. But he reiterated the family line that he is only considering Texas if it retains Shaka Smart. Asked for an update, he said that the possibility of Smart’s firing “definitely will send Greg elsewhere.” 

https://www.statesman.com/sports/20200218/bohls-big-12-itrsquos-your-turn-to-step-up

As opposed to a good coach?

Uh ok

9 hours ago, torre said:

siap

Eyes on Brown: The father of Vandegrift basketball star Greg Brown III told me Tuesday little has changed in the recruitment of his 6′8″ son. But he reiterated the family line that he is only considering Texas if it retains Shaka Smart. Asked for an update, he said that the possibility of Smart’s firing “definitely will send Greg elsewhere.” 

https://www.statesman.com/sports/20200218/bohls-big-12-itrsquos-your-turn-to-step-up

Well obviously the Brown family is full of losers. Why else would you want to hitch your wagon to a loser? If losing Brown is a condition of losing Shaka, oh well. Shit not like we were going to win anything with them both here.

5 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

No CR, but is pretty hilarious how many people see 67 as too old to coach basketball, but 5 of the 6 most likely people to win the presidential election are 77, 78, 73, 77, and 70, with the 70 being the least likely of the 5. Too old for the pick-and-roll, but unilateral control over the largest nuclear arsenal on the planet? Sure!!

67 is the new 50.

1 minute ago, Brothahorn said:

Well obviously the Brown family is full of losers. Why else would you want to hitch your wagon to a loser? If losing Brown is a condition of losing Shaka, oh well. Shit not like we were going to win anything with them both here.

This.  We stand a better chance of winning without both than with both.

5 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

He’ll be 88% of the way through his life expectancy this year. He old as fuck.

when was the last time Texas hired a 68 yr old coach?

7 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

I'd like to think that coach of the Texas Men's Basketball Team is held to a higher standard than most other jobs.

7 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Electing presidents at that age is a shitty proposition as well. I'd take Beilein over Shaka, sure. But I might take Derka if he promised to give us the Blast-off dance at least once per game. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 2

On 2/17/2020 at 10:22 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

Dixon took over a program that went 8-64 in conference play the prior four years he was there. He has real skins on the wall at Pitt, and at TCU where he won the NIT in his first year and got upset as a 5 seed his second year. The turnaround was remarkable. He coaches circles around Shaka and that’ll be on display Wednesday night

You were saying, dumbfuck?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 13

My frustration with Shaka aside, I think we can we win one more conference game versus OSU at home as Shaka's last game in Austin.  I know I'll jinx it, but it's not even out of the question that we could beat KSU in Manhattan as shitty as they've been this year as well.  Or say we lose that game because it's Manhattan and maybe pick one win up in the conference tourney.  We could be talking about 17 wins.  Enough to get into the NIT or CBI.  I still really would like some clarity though...at what point does the NIT hold their nose and say, "pass" and then send a major conference team onto the CBI?  

3 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Brown is one and done.  he just wants to play for a coach who will let him practice for the NBA for one year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Camelback80 said:

You were saying, dumbfuck?

You’re calling someone”dumbfuck” after starting the single most asinine thread on the basketball board?

Holy shit. You’re even dumber than you appear in  writing.

Tell me...are you related to Shaka or sucking his dick?

Edited by Ghost of Shag

41 minutes ago, Victorious1 said:

SS's strategy is unfolding now.  He wants to defend his NIT crown or add a CBI to his trophy case.

First coach to have a Final Four appearance in the NCAAT, NIT and CBI?!?!?!  We can do it.  

13 hours ago, Blotto said:

Electing presidents at that age is a shitty proposition as well. I'd take Beilein over Shaka, sure. But I might take Derka if he promised to give us the Blast-off dance at least once per game. 

I am with you on this. Having Derka coach the UT basketball program would be perhaps the single greatest experience of my life as a fan. I cannot think of a more complicated, hilarious, entertaining scenario. The scene playing in my head right now of him handling a press conference is dizzyingly absurd. Of course, he’d have a better record than Shaka Smart, so I feel like it would be almost impossible to lose as a fan. 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-basketball-Shaka-Smart-coaching-hot-seats-NCAA-Tournament--144012171/

Will Texas fire Shaka Smart after the season?

By:  TAYLOR ESTES 19 hours ago

Each week, the Horns247 staff tackles the Question of the Week, where we dive into some of the hottest topics surrounding the University of Texas and beyond.  With Texas basketball continuing to struggle down the stretch in Big 12 play, all eyes are on the future of head coach Shaka Smart. Questions about Smart’s job security have been on-going for the last few years, but have only increased this season as it looks like the Longhorns could miss the NCAA Tournament for the second-straight season.

With that said, the Question of the Week is …

Do you think Shaka Smart will be fired after the season? Does he deserve to be fired?

Bobby Burton, Publisher

Smart has been an abysmal failure. There’s no kind way to put it. His inability to coach an effective offensive set in the final minutes of a game are the stuff of legends. His teams jack up more desperation threes or ill-conceived shots than any team I can remember. He makes Rick Barnes look like an offensive genius, and we all know that’s not the truth. He needs to go and he needs to go now.

Fuck Chip Brown, Columnist

Yes I do think Shaka Smart gets fired at the end of this season. The best season he’s had in five years at Texas was Year 1 with a veteran team left by Rick Barnes. Since then, Smart has failed to produce a winning record in conference play (including a 4-14 mark in a historically bad 11-22 season in Year 2). Smart has only made the NCAA tourney twice and has failed to win a single NCAA tourney game. This failed experiment has run its course — despite a $10.5 million buyout.

Jeff Howe, Senior Writer

Whether anyone thinks Shaka Smart should be fired or deserves to be fired is irrelevant. The separation between Smart and Texas where everyone can go their separate ways needs to happen for the benefit of both parties.  The fact of the matter is Smart is 85-77 overall heading into Wednesday’s home game with TCU and even if the Longhorns were to win the rest of their games in conference play, Smart is going to end the 2019-20 season with an overall sub-.500 Big 12 record in his career (currently 35-49). When Texas gets to 10 conference losses (which seems inevitable given the Longhorns are expected to be without Jase Febres and Jericho Sims the rest of the way) and locks in the scenario of needing to win the Big 12 tournament to make it into the NCAA Tournament via an automatic bid, Smart will have as many March Madness misses in five seasons (three) as Tom Penders and Rick Barnes had combined in their 27 basketball seasons on the Forty Acres.

It’s just not working. Not for Texas, not for Smart and certainly not for the burnt orange faithful. Apathy when it comes to basketball seems to be at all-time high and those who follow the program who still care are genuinely disgusted with where the product resides. Outside of the sudden availability of John Beilein, the coaching market isn’t as hot as the one Texas entered into when it parted ways with Barnes and hired Smart.  However, that can’t be too much of a deterrent to Chris Del Conte moving forward.  Outside of Smart steering clear of the FBI investigation into college basketball and giving the school nothing to worry about on that front, along with the fact that the roster next season has a chance to return entirely intact (and be upgraded if Texas can land five-star forward Greg Brown), there’s been nothing over the course of Smart’s 162-game tenure to indicate the Longhorns will ever be a consistent winner or put a consistently palatable product on the floor with the current head coach at the helm.

Taylor Estes, Managing Editor

I don’t ever like to see people lose their job, but at this point, there’s really no scenario that should happen other than Shaka Smart getting let go at the end of the season. In five seasons, the only thing Texas has proven under Smart’s watch is to be a constant disappointment. All signs point to Texas missing the NCAA Tournament for the third time in five seasons. But even during the two years where the Longhorns managed to nab a tournament bid with Smart at the helm, they failed to win a single game. That’s unacceptable and proof that this is simply not working and will not work moving forward as long as Smart is leading the program.

Mike Roach, Recruiting Analyst

He definitely deserves to be fired at this point. Texas basketball has done nothing but trend downward since Rick Barnes left Austin. I suppose that it will largely depend on how the rest of the season plays out, but if he continues to lose, it seems that Chris Del Conte will have no choice but to move on.

Nick Harris, Recruiting Reporter

I believe Shaka Smart has overstayed his welcome in the eyes of Longhorn fans for over a year now. It's now to the point to where Chris Del Conte has to figure out how to send him and his hefty contract out the door at the conclusion of the season to save future seasons. Despite possibly losing Austin-area five-star Greg Brown as a result of a Smart firing, I think it will be the right decision for the long-term success of the program. While this year has been derailed by a plethora of injuries, specifically in the backcourt, Smart has no foundation during his tenure at Texas to point back to. It's simply the only decision left to make regarding the future of the basketball program.

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This has got to be a troll. I’ll bite anyway. This is idiotic. First, historically, we are an average at best program historically. Second, 67-68 isn’t too old. Greens point is a known moron. 

You say “Troll”, I saw “joke”/“sarcasm”.

QUESTION: If Shaka’s team somehow ekes out a win in spite of him, but no one is there to witness it, does it count as a “Win”?

48 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Do you think Shaka Smart will be fired after the season? Does he deserve to be fired?

Jeff Howe, Senior Writer

Whether anyone thinks Shaka Smart should be fired or deserves to be fired is irrelevant.

Truer words were never spoken by a sportswriter-- their opinions don't fucking matter-- but man, that's got to make all of his subscribers really thankful they're shelling out $9.95 for explicitly irrelevant material. 

49 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Taylor Estes, Managing Editor

I don’t ever like to see people lose their job

What about Hitler, Taylor? Huh? What about fucking Hitler.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This has got to be a troll. I’ll bite anyway. This is idiotic. First, historically, we are an average at best program historically. Second, 67-68 isn’t too old. Greens point is a known moron. 

Troll? No, joke. And a pretty funny one at that. He was saying a coach at TEXAS should be vetted more carefully than the leader of the free world. If that doesn't strike you as intentionally and humorously over the top, then change your batteries, robot.

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic