Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

It’s cute that you think a coaching change will result in a packed house throughout a Longhorn basketball season.

Your approach is right, but cut your attendance delta in half.

He pulled those numbers out of his ass as usual. But Texas basketball fans will definitely return for a new coach and we get a solid turnout when the team is good.

3 hours ago, Lurch said:

It’s cute that you think a coaching change will result in a packed house throughout a Longhorn basketball season.

Your approach is right, but cut your attendance delta in half.

I didn’t include advertising that might be going out the door. LHN is probably suffering as well (how many games on lhn?). There is a big economic model that a business like the UT AD runs on and it’s got to be damn close to change time for them. 

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm pretty sure "Havoc" is the least intensive scheme from a preparation standpoint.  Recruit good athletes, condition the hell out of them, and coach them to run the other team's ass off.  Even moderate basketball skills will get you to moderate success.

I think he believes too highly in his skills as a coach.  The fact that I have almost never heard him mention any schematic approach to the game would tend to support such a conclusion -- it's all about "buy-in" and "connectivity" and "will power".  Platitudes are important, but I'm pretty fucking sure Bobby Knight could get this team farther with zero platitudes.

The truth is that Patterson is the fuck up. Not Shaka. Shaka is the triple option offense of basketball. Albeit a very poorly run triple option. Nolan Richardson won because no one practiced against 40 minutes of hell and the athletes weren’t what they were today. Mike Anderson brought that shit to the big 12 and got stomped because of how athletic kids are these days. Shaka got a massive contract and knew he would get killed running that system. Kids have endurance these days because they LIVE basketball if they play P5 ball. He tried to learn on the job and it didn’t work. Now he’s going to be rich as fuck and unemployed. He has no approach. He just knows the checks keep cashing so he keeps being a motivational speaker. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Good point.  Most teams also now have 4, sometimes 5 that can handle the ball.  Havoc isn't going to work well as a full-time strategy.

It will be fine at a mid major. Maybe even win a conference every few years. But never at a highly competitive level. 

10 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

reminder that before the season, so, five months ago, BitterWhiteGuy *literally* said that Shaka was doing as well as we could have expected from *any* coach we possibly could have hired back in 2015. but hey, kudos on finally seeing what's right in front of you. 

Obsessed much?

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

46 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

This reads like a description of Dodds. Maybe Tom doesn’t realize he was a couple of ADs ago. Also *you’re

I can easily imagine he was talking about Patterson, too.  Doesn’t seem so much like Perrin, but then again who knows, maybe Tom was hittin the sauce when he wrote that. 

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I played pickup in Gregory once with Blanks, Wright, and Terrence Rencher.  Albert Burditt almost murdered me when my dumb ass tried to take a charge.

Taking a charge in a pickup game?  TFOH with that nonsense.  Any doubt you were a floor slapper also.  

Crazy idea after watching parts of Almost unwatchable victory over kstate...last part of the game. Guessing Shaka has a good reputation in coaching world, but the only reason our record will be slightly better than .500 is the easy non conference schedule.  

Cdc could change the nonconference schedule...justification is that team needs to be ready for tough big 12 play..every nonconference team will be rated top 100 or 150 or better...

cdc presents new schedule to Shaka and Shaka realizes he might win 10 to 12 games, and his reputation would suffer...

Or he could resign at that time, and salvage some of his reputation.

So, how crazy is this idea?  Is a nonconference schedule with top 150 or top 100 opponents too difficult?

Attendance would not be an issue, because the following year the new gym will open, along with a new coach to go with it.

Everybody in the Austin area will want to say they’ve been in the new gym.  Sellouts almost every game.

Yeah, CDC is gonna have a tough time selling seats next year if Shaka is back.  With another shit-tastic non-conference slate in the works already, a bad product on the court, Nostalgia can only carry you so much when you're trying to sell people on the idea of "Come see one more game at the Erwin Center before we tear it down."  Because nobody gives a shit about the Erwin Center itself.  There were some fun upsets there a decade ago, some great concerts (well, not acoustically anyway), and a fun monster truck rally...but the sightlines suck, the whole thing smells like old beer and feet, parking/egress was a shitshow, nobody is gonna miss the building.  Nobody is gonna wanna see one last game there if the team sucks and Shaka is running it.  I hope CDC doesn't get delusional and think we're sending off Phog Allen Field or some shit.

11 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Crazy idea after watching parts of Almost unwatchable victory over kstate...last part of the game. Guessing Shaka has a good reputation in coaching world, but the only reason our record will be slightly better than .500 is the easy non conference schedule.  

Cdc could change the nonconference schedule...justification is that team needs to be ready for tough big 12 play..every nonconference team will be rated top 100 or 150 or better...

cdc presents new schedule to Shaka and Shaka realizes he might win 10 to 12 games, and his reputation would suffer...

Or he could resign at that time, and salvage some of his reputation.

So, how crazy is this idea?  Is a nonconference schedule with top 150 or top 100 opponents too difficult?

Attendance would not be an issue, because the following year the new gym will open, along with a new coach to go with it.

Everybody in the Austin area will want to say they’ve been in the new gym.  Sellouts almost every game.

You drunk?

23 hours ago, Jhawk said:

The truth is that Patterson is the fuck up. Not Shaka. Shaka is the triple option offense of basketball. Albeit a very poorly run triple option. Nolan Richardson won because no one practiced against 40 minutes of hell and the athletes weren’t what they were today. Mike Anderson brought that shit to the big 12 and got stomped because of how athletic kids are these days. Shaka got a massive contract and knew he would get killed running that system. Kids have endurance these days because they LIVE basketball if they play P5 ball. He tried to learn on the job and it didn’t work. Now he’s going to be rich as fuck and unemployed. He has no approach. He just knows the checks keep cashing so he keeps being a motivational speaker. 

Mike Anderson went to the NCAA tourney his last 3 years at Missouri and had an elite 8 appearance. How exactly did he get stomped in the Big 12?!?!  Do you ever get tired of pulling shit out of your ass? Anderson’s mistake was leaving Missouri (of his own volition) for Arkansas. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Mike Anderson went to the NCAA tourney his last 3 years at Missouri and had an elite 8 appearance. How exactly did he get stomped in the Big 12?!?!  Do you ever get tired of pulling shit out of your ass? 

Kansas fan.  They have an extreme hatred for Mizzou basketball.  Facts are immaterial.

• Like 2

Mercy! We were 2 and 2 against teams....nonconference... that are now in kenpom top 100.  Beat Purdue and northern Colorado, lost to georgetown and providence.  Replace the remaining 8 nonconference teams with top 100 teams, we might have won 2 or 3.  Our record now would be around 11 and 16. Don’t we want our record to be authentic?

14 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Mercy! We were 2 and 2 against teams....nonconference... that are now in kenpom top 100.  Beat Purdue and northern Colorado, lost to georgetown and providence.  Replace the remaining 8 nonconference teams with top 100 teams, we might have won 2 or 3.  Our record now would be around 11 and 16. Don’t we want our record to be authentic?

No team in the country plays all top 100 teams in OOC. 

22 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Mike Anderson went to the NCAA tourney his last 3 years at Missouri and had an elite 8 appearance. How exactly did he get stomped in the Big 12?!?!  Do you ever get tired of pulling shit out of your ass? Anderson’s mistake was leaving Missouri (of his own volition) for Arkansas. 

Did you watch one game where he played against equal or better athletes? He got boat raced. Did you even watch basketball during his term? He couldn’t compete with the top 3-4 in the conference which is what everyone wanted since Norm retired. 

Just read the wiki page on Texas basketball.  All I knew growing up in Austin area was Black was a bad coach, and assumed the horns were always an inferior team...definitely not the case.  Assuming this is smarts last year, his winning % in conference will be down there with weltlich.  22 losses in a year is bobs record along with Shaka.  This years projected 15 losses is among the top 20 years in losses.  Meanwhile, we will, oops might finish in the top 10................

.............in the state....I counted 21 Texas teams in kenpom, and it looks like we will be fighting with Texas state for 8th or 9th.

52 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Just read the wiki page on Texas basketball.  All I knew growing up in Austin area was Black was a bad coach, and assumed the horns were always an inferior team...definitely not the case.  Assuming this is smarts last year, his winning % in conference will be down there with weltlich.  22 losses in a year is bobs record along with Shaka.  This years projected 15 losses is among the top 20 years in losses.  Meanwhile, we will, oops might finish in the top 10................

.............in the state....I counted 21 Texas teams in kenpom, and it looks like we will be fighting with Texas state for 8th or 9th.

And Lemons took some Leon Black recruited players (Johnny Moore, Jim Krivacs, Ron Baxter) and turned them into winners of NIT (1978), and an NCAA Tournament 4th seed (1979).

A few years later (1982), the injury to Mike Wacker on that Damn bullshit crappy court in Waco ruined one of the best teams in Texas Basketball history -- ranked #4 and 14-0 before Wacker's injury!!! 😠

Interesting fact:  The Longhorns drew an average of 15,886 fans per home game in 1978–79, a school and Erwin Center record that to this point has not been challenged.

"Remembering Lemons, Texas’ NIT title-winning team 40 years later"

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Basketball-Remembering-Abe-Lemons-1978-NIT-champions-40-years-later-116903513/

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

And to further illustrate how wrong that take was, DeMarre Carroll was the only NBA guy on that Missouri team, so they actually beat a lot of teams that had more talent and better athletes.  That includes beating a good Kansas team with a bunch of pros, OU the year Blake Griffin won national player of the year, Calipari’s Memphis team with Tyreke Evans and the best recruits Worldwide Wes could buy in the Sweet 16, Marquette with Jimmy Butler, Wes Matthews and a couple of other pros in the 2nd round, etc.  

Jhawk’s memory is too harsh, but the answer is somewhere in the middle. He built a good team the year of the E8 but in other seasons he generally had mediocre teams that struggled against the top half of the conference, including 1-9 against KU (only pros to speak of were freshmen). Mizzou fans were getting really anxious and his seat was getting warm, so he jumped at getting out of there. What Haith did with the leftovers in his first year didn’t help the view of Anderson in hindsight.

On the old board, I was one of the guys saying Shaka shouldn’t run havoc at Texas if the goal is being better than Barnes was, and I used Anderson’s top/bottom conference record splits to explain my reasoning...teams with decent guards had mostly figured it out.

On 2/22/2020 at 4:53 PM, Lobo said:

Yeah, CDC is gonna have a tough time selling seats next year if Shaka is back.  With another shit-tastic non-conference slate in the works already, a bad product on the court, Nostalgia can only carry you so much when you're trying to sell people on the idea of "Come see one more game at the Erwin Center before we tear it down."  Because nobody gives a shit about the Erwin Center itself.  There were some fun upsets there a decade ago, some great concerts (well, not acoustically anyway), and a fun monster truck rally...but the sightlines suck, the whole thing smells like old beer and feet, parking/egress was a shitshow, nobody is gonna miss the building.  Nobody is gonna wanna see one last game there if the team sucks and Shaka is running it.  I hope CDC doesn't get delusional and think we're sending off Phog Allen Field or some shit.

He's definitely not coming back, man.

I really feel like that's the first game I've ever watched where I feel Shaka was fighting for his team and fighting to win.  I'm actually happy for him in that win. 

Not sure this saves him, but he seems a little looser than I've ever seen him over these last 3 games. 

• Like 2

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic