Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

On 2/27/2020 at 9:12 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

we would have had to have beaten one of Kansas or Baylor on the way

in conjunction with a positive outcome in Norman, that would probably lift us into the NCAA tournament assuming we also lose to Tech but beat OSU at home

If Kansas and Baylor have number one seeds locked up don't expect them to put out much effort in the conference tournament.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Deej said:

Then he gets to spend the next six years Mack Brown-ing the program. 

I'd probably be OK with that, but I have a better chance at a threesome with Princess Kate and Princess Meghan, with Queen Elizabeth on the bench, tagging in when needed.

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

Well if we make the dance he has a chance. Don't know if 8-8 gets us on the good side of the bubble given we had a shitty non-con

9-9 and a win in the big 12 tournament = in with 20 wins.  

Just now, smwhorn said:

He's one four in a row, two against ranked teams (one on the road) with three injured players out.  Unless he loses the next two and the first game in the tournament, he's not getting fired.

He only saves his job if we have a weak AD.  The idea that a few games at the end of a five year run is enough to make anyone cower is beyond ridiculous.  He's proven he can't do the job.  A win or two at the very end is completely irrelevant.

For a strong AD who is only focused on winning and not twitter reaction, anyway.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

He only saves his job if we have a weak AD.  The idea that a few games at the end of a five year run is enough to make anyone cower is beyond ridiculous.  He's proven he can't do the job.  A win or two at the very end is completely irrelevant.

For a strong AD who is only focused on winning and not twitter reaction, anyway.

It’ll be enough for CDC to avoid paying out $10 million.  

• Like 1

Well allow me to retort. The spin Shaka can put on this is that it took awhile for he and his new assistant coaches to effect change, and only now is the team playing to its potential. He’s coming back.

2 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

This. Short of him doing something crazy like winning the B12 Conf tourney and making the Elite Eight, this fluky winning streak shouldn’t (not saying it won’t) affect CDC’s decision.

Shaka can never figure out lineups but the injuries have done that for him and Ramey and AJ have been shooting lights out. None of that will be repeatable for Shaka moving forward. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

This. Short of him doing something crazy like winning the B12 Conf tourney and making the Elite Eight, this fluky winning streak shouldn’t (not saying it won’t) affect CDC’s decision.

Shaka can never figure out lineups but the injuries have done that for him and Ramey and AJ have been shooting lights out. None of that will be repeatable for Shaka moving forward. 

Except for the next 2-3 weeks. 

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Well allow me to retort. The spin Shaka can put on this is that it took awhile for he and his new assistant coaches to effect change, and only now is the team playing to its potential. He’s coming back.

None of that’s a retort. CDC accepting that bullshit would mean he’s a weak AD. PilotsError didn’t say he’s not coming back. 

10-8 in the Big 12 = in regardless of a weak OOC resume. The OK St game at home amounts to a gimme and the OU game on the road is very winnable. The selection committee loves teams that catch fire at the end of the year and Texas has ranked wins against WVU/Tech. Closing out the regular season with two more wins = a lock, winning several games in the Big 12 tourney would likely result in being bumped up a seed. In CDC's shoes would I keep Shaka around if he goes one and done in the NCAA tourney? No way. Hard telling what will happen.

12 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The team has been hit hard by injuries and yet has won 4 straight conference games by DOUBLE DIGITS.

That’s never been done before I. The history of the Internet!!

Shaka is coming back next year. 

Honestly if retained I hope he reflects on this run and makes adjustments to his style.  Nice guys finish last when it come to motivating others.  

38 minutes ago, Chad said:

10-8 in the Big 12 = in regardless of a weak OOC resume. The OK St game at home amounts to a gimme and the OU game on the road is very winnable. The selection committee loves teams that catch fire at the end of the year and Texas has ranked wins against WVU/Tech. Closing out the regular season with two more wins = a lock, winning several games in the Big 12 tourney would likely result in being bumped up a seed. In CDC's shoes would I keep Shaka around if he goes one and done in the NCAA tourney? No way. Hard telling what will happen.

Totally agree with all of this. I’m pleased Horns are winning, but nonetheless I don’t think they can advance past the Round of 32, and if not, Shaka should be gone. If I were CDC I’d fire him and not think twice.  For me, it’s Sweet 16 or gone  

It also would not totally surprise me if we shit the bed the last 3 games (assuming conf tourney opening loss), because a lot our last 3 wins are attributable to individual play of Ramey and Jones, including outside shooting. If we shoot terribly from the field, which we are very prone to do, we can lose to anyone including OSU. 

Yeah. Restructure. “I love you Shaka. I’ve been your biggest defender among admin and alum. I think you deserve an extension. I’ll give it to you but let’s make this buyout more reasonable and knock it to $5M in favor of 3 more years and a bigger salary.”

you might pay him a million more next year but reduce the price of exit by 3-4.  Just throwing shit against the wall since we all know he’s going to be mediocre at best next year too.  We all know he’s a dumb coach  maybe he’s an idiot in negotiations too  

Edited by Jhawk

5 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Can still lose 4 in a row, or win 4 in a row.if he wins 3 more, I say he comes back.  If he wins 4 or more, I wouldn’t be surprised to see extension.

No extension for Shaka for 4 more Wins...

Attendance for home games this season has been abysmal...

How about a really off the wall possibility.  Team wins next 4 games, wins a first round NCAA game.  Shaka s agent comes to cdc expecting an extension, gets turned down flat.  Agent is so pissed, he tells Shaka to strike while the iron is hot, so Shaka gets a job at another power 5 school.  Since he gets a raise to go somewhere else, that voids the contract, correct?

We would get to move on.  

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic