Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

So, I looked at an article showing coaches salaries from last year.  Shaka was number 17, but my theory is the team stays hot, and some teams below shakas salary will leap up, to pay him more than he makes here.  There are 42 teams that paid at least 2.4million last year, including a bunch of sec teams.  Remember SEC teams have their network to pump more money, so they can jump up and offer Shaka a raise.  

This could really happen. All we need is one win in the big tourney.  And an AD smart enough to say no to extension.

7 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

So, I looked at an article showing coaches salaries from last year.  Shaka was number 17, but my theory is the team stays hot, and some teams below shakas salary will leap up, to pay him more than he makes here.  There are 42 teams that paid at least 2.4million last year, including a bunch of sec teams.  Remember SEC teams have their network to pump more money, so they can jump up and offer Shaka a raise.  

This could really happen. All we need is one win in the big tourney.  And an AD smart enough to say no to extension.

Image result for hope is a dangerous thing gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Lay off the drugs? 

9 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

He's not getting a raise. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

- Coach who should've been fired two months ago

- team only has seven healthy scholarship players and is missing the guy who was the best player on the team all season.

- late season run sparked by a cancer survivor

Texas fits that lucky, Cinderella bill that always emerges in March. We're going to the Sweet 16 even though it's not even remotely logical.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

- team only has seven healthy scholarship players and is missing the guy who was the best player on the team all season.

Texas fits that lucky, Cinderella bill that always emerges in March. We're going to the Sweet 16 even though it's not even remotely logical.

Drugs are bad mmmmkay

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Is Sims definitely not available for post-season play 3-4 weeks from now?  

We keep getting better the more guys we lose to injury.  At this point we need to ritually sacrifice a walk on before each game on the court.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Yeah. Restructure. “I love you Shaka. I’ve been your biggest defender among admin and alum. I think you deserve an extension. I’ll give it to you but let’s make this buyout more reasonable and knock it to $5M in favor of 3 more years and a bigger salary.”

you might pay him a million more next year but reduce the price of exit by 3-4.

You're not paying attention.  It's not a buyout.  It's a guaranteed contract.  We owe him that money whether he coaches here or not.  If we extend AND bump his salary, everything just gets worse.

1 hour ago, ATLLonghorn said:

SS is not remotely logical. 

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You're not paying attention.  It's not a buyout.  It's a guaranteed contract.  We owe him that money whether he coaches here or not.  If we extend AND bump his salary, everything just gets worse.

Exactly.  The key will be how many years are left on his contract.  Only 3 years left.  His agent was smart enough to figure out that because Perrin was temp., he wouldn’t care about the long term.  Boom, agent gets Perrin to add a year. In a couple of weeks, agent will be trying to convince cdc to add years.  Hopefully agent will suggest he can get a longer than 3 year deal somewhere else. 

Hopefully cdc says go ahead and Shaka will get a great recommendation from UT.

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

One way Texas doesn't pay Shaka any more money is if he voluntarily leaves for another job...

giphy.gif

@Dbeasy see my defense below for why I can’t tell sarcasm from real posts in this thread. Well, that and I had been drinking when I posted yesterday, of course. 

23 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Can still lose 4 in a row, or win 4 in a row.if he wins 3 more, I say he comes back.  If he wins 4 or more, I wouldn’t be surprised to see extension.

23 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Yeah. Restructure. “I love you Shaka. I’ve been your biggest defender among admin and alum. I think you deserve an extension. I’ll give it to you but let’s make this buyout more reasonable and knock it to $5M in favor of 3 more years and a bigger salary.”

you might pay him a million more next year but reduce the price of exit by 3-4.  Just throwing shit against the wall since we all know he’s going to be mediocre at best next year too.  We all know he’s a dumb coach  maybe he’s an idiot in negotiations too  

17 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

How about a really off the wall possibility.  Team wins next 4 games, wins a first round NCAA game.  Shaka s agent comes to cdc expecting an extension, gets turned down flat.  Agent is so pissed, he tells Shaka to strike while the iron is hot, so Shaka gets a job at another power 5 school.  Since he gets a raise to go somewhere else, that voids the contract, correct?

We would get to move on.  

3 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

the second biggest thing that happened yesterday to potentially bolster our chances of getting into the tournament was OU's win-- that improves their resume and moves them more securely away from the bubble, meaning if we win in Norman, it's a slightly better win than it was already going to be

we are solidly on the bubble now but it's really hard to say what else will be necessary to get us in-- all of the reasonable scenarios feel pretty favorable. If you assume the win over Oklahoma State, it doesn't seem like a loss to OU and then going 1-1 in the B12 tournament gets us in but it's possible if the rest of the bubble moves the way we need it to. If we win out in the regular season and then lose our first-round Big 12 game? That would also be close. If we win out and win a Big 12 tournament game, I feel certain we're in-- as in, we could still be left out but it would be a surprise. 

I really want to see where Palm and Lunardi have us post-Tech-win. 

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

the second biggest thing that happened yesterday to potentially bolster our chances of getting into the tournament was OU's win-- that improves their resume and moves them more securely away from the bubble, meaning if we win in Norman, it's a slightly better win than it was already going to be.  We are solidly on the bubble now but it's really hard to say what else will be necessary to get us in-- all of the reasonable scenarios feel pretty favorable. If you assume the win over Oklahoma State, it doesn't seem like a loss to OU and then going 1-1 in the B12 tournament gets us in but it's possible if the rest of the bubble moves the way we need it to. If we win out in the regular season and then lose our first-round Big 12 game? That would also be close. If we win out and win a Big 12 tournament game, I feel certain we're in-- as in, we could still be left out but it would be a surprise. 

I really want to see where Palm and Lunardi have us post-Tech-win. 

Good stuff...

• Winning at least one of next two games, plus at least two B12 tournament games might sneak Horns into NCAA Tourney if things fall right
  • Winning next 3 games and losing a close 2nd game in B12 Tourney to quality opponent might also get the Horns in the Dance
Edited by LTtxfan

I think Lunardi will have us at the bottom of first 4 out.  he has the big 12 getting 5.  we will have to bump one of WVU, Tech, OU.  I can't see all 4 of us making it.  kind of wish OU had lost to WVU because I think WVU is likely in regardless and it is OU/Tech/Texas for 2 spots.

38 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I think Lunardi will have us at the bottom of first 4 out.  he has the big 12 getting 5.  we will have to bump one of WVU, Tech, OU.  I can't see all 4 of us making it.  kind of wish OU had lost to WVU because I think WVU is likely in regardless and it is OU/Tech/Texas for 2 spots.

Yeah, the win over Tech moved us up to #76 on Lunardi's list of 76 teams. Probably going to need another 3 wins to move up into the tournament.

Texas's NET rating has increased 17 spots in the past week with the 2 victories over West Virginia and Texas Tech. The problem with our resume is always going to be the 0-3 record OOC against similar situated bubble teams. Not just the 0-3 record, but the fact Texas wasn't competitive in any of those games.

Edited by HtownHorn

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah, the win over Tech moved us up to #76 on Lunardi's list of 76 teams. Probably going to need another 3 wins to move up into the tournament.

I don't think the tech win has been put in yet.  his bracketology shows 2/28.  the WVU win got us to 76.I think we will be 72 in his next bracketology.  the Tex/OU game is close to a play in game.

40 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I don't think the tech win has been put in yet.  his bracketology shows 2/28.  the WVU win got us to 76.I think we will be 72 in his next bracketology.  the Tex/OU game is close to a play in game.

I think you are right on both counts. The brackets are always a little laggy-- we're only in 9 of the 119 possible brackets on Bracketmatrix, that's way too low for many of them to have updated post-Tech. And OU is in if they beat us. I'm less sure we can say the same if we beat them, but the odds would skyrocket just assuming we'd then beat OSU and win at least 1 in the B12 tournament. 

The Tech win was bigger than WVU in one way, I think-- it validates this team's credentials as an NCAA tournament team. We might get in, we might not, but the team's making a legit effort, not just doing the flailing drowning swimmer thing. 

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Lunardi has an updated bracket. We are in his Next Four Out.

yep we are 73.  I thought we might make 72.  OU went to 10 seed and squarely in.  If we beat OU and OSU we are in.  lose to OU and anything can happen but I think we end up bubbled out barring 2 wins in the tourney(and of course beating OSU).

Its going to be hard for them to take 6 teams from Big 12 this year.  IMO, one of Tech/OU/Texas is not getting in.  Lunardi has WVU as a lock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

He's done for the year, as is Febres. I believe Liddell is as well, but it's been awhile since I heard an update.

Sims and Liddel - back.  Febres - knee.  Is this right?  Suspicious having two back injuries.  What are they doing in the weight room?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yep we are 73.  I thought we might make 72.  OU went to 10 seed and squarely in.  If we beat OU and OSU we are in.  lose to OU and anything can happen but I think we end up bubbled out barring 2 wins in the tourney(and of course beating OSU).

Its going to be hard for them to take 6 teams from Big 12 this year.  IMO, one of Tech/OU/Texas is not getting in.  Lunardi has WVU as a lock.

Remaining schedules:

WV (7-9) - @ ISU, Baylor 
Tech (9-7) - @ Baylor, KU
OU (8-8) - Texas, @ TCU
Texas (8-8) - @ OU, OSU

Not unlikely that Tech, OU and Texas all finish 9-9.  Texas might be the odd one out because they got swept by OU.  If WV plays themselves into 8-10 and finishes behind Texas/OU/Tech, I could see them getting left out.  They are playing like absolute dog shit right now.  They've lost 3 in a row to unranked teams.  They need a monumental upset of Baylor to finish 9-9.  Tech needs 2 pretty big upsets to not finish 9-9. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Not unlikely that Tech, OU and Texas all finish 9-9.

Tech is a near-lock for 9-9 (losses both to KU and Baylor)

OU is probably 9-9 or 10-8  (tossup with us, near lock to beat TCU)

We are probably 9-9 or 10-8, but will probably trade with OU  (tossup with OU, near lock to beat OSU.)

I don't see how any team that finishes 3rd or even ties for 3rd in the Big XII doesn't get in the dance.  I guess conference tourney games could be used as the tiebreaker.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

We are probably 9-9 or 10-8, but will probably trade with OU  (tossup with OU, near lock to beat OSU.)

I don't see how any team that finishes 3rd or even ties for 3rd in the Big XII doesn't get in the dance.  I guess conference tourney games could be used as the tiebreaker.

If all 3 finish 9-9 and ahead of WV, I don't see WV getting in anymore. 

38 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Well it’s not that simple. It also depends on what others teams do as well. Texas just needs to keep winning. 

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Remaining schedules:

WV (7-9) - @ ISU, Baylor 
Tech (9-7) - @ Baylor, KU
OU (8-8) - Texas, @ TCU
Texas (8-8) - @ OU, OSU

Not unlikely that Tech, OU and Texas all finish 9-9.  Texas might be the odd one out because they got swept by OU.  If WV plays themselves into 8-10 and finishes behind Texas/OU/Tech, I could see them getting left out.  They are playing like absolute dog shit right now.  They've lost 3 in a row to unranked teams.  They need a monumental upset of Baylor to finish 9-9.  Tech needs 2 pretty big upsets to not finish 9-9. 

hmm. I missed that WVU was 7-9 now.  I bet they beat Baylor at home but if they don't it will get interesting.  there will be some crazy homecookin going on there I would expect.

either way it will be a wild finish.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

hmm. I missed that WVU was 7-9 now.  I bet they beat Baylor at home but if they don't it will get interesting.  there will be some crazy homecookin going on there I would expect.

WV has lost 3 in a row to unranked teams, 2 on the road. They better hope they don’t blow it in Ames. 

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Going to all depend on OOC and who you lost to and who the other teams lost to that are on the bubble.  Really, this is the year the NET ratings were made for.  20 bubble teams from big time conferences as well as mid majors and the eye test will have little to do with it because the NET ratings are an established formula.  The magic for the bubble is that CBB is weak as a whole this year.  Bid stealing could be very real and thus eliminate 3-6 bubble bids.  The 55th ranked NET team could miss out because the 60th ranked team beat the 20th in a conference tourney.  

This is going to be a very interesting march (of course it will be chalk now that i have said this).

42 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

WVU is somehow still #14 in kenpom. 

3 hours ago, Jhawk said:

FYI, this is a great site for NET rankings.  Updates at least daily.  UT at 59 now, up from last sunday.  You guys are going to get in with 1 more win.  Stuck with Shaka again.

http://bracketologists.com/

No we are not. If we lose to OU, beat OSU, and lose in the 1st round of the Big 12 tournament, Texas is going to the NIT again. Our OOC was terribad.

4 hours ago, Jhawk said:

FYI, this is a great site for NET rankings.  Updates at least daily.  UT at 59 now, up from last sunday.  You guys are going to get in with 1 more win.  Stuck with Shaka again.

http://bracketologists.com/

Crazy that Gophers are #46 at 13-15 with 5-12 Q1 record and a Q3 loss.

and no, we need 2 wins to get there although OSU win and Big12 tourney win might still not be enough.

42 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Crazy that Gophers are #46 at 13-15 with 5-12 Q1 record and a Q3 loss.

There has to be a lesson there, but I'm not sure what it is.  Mostly it seems to be "play a bunch of Q1 teams", which can be hard to control, given conference ties.  Q4 results are a wash.  Apparently our Q3 results didn't matter at all.  We played more Q2 teams and did statistically worse, but played fewer Q1 teams and did statistically better.

Ranking  Team  Overall/Q1/Q2/Q3/Q4/Non-D1

46 UMinn   13-15/5-12/2-2/1-1/5-0/0-0

59 UT  18-11/4-7/2-4/6-0/6-0/0-0 

I guess it's an argument that strength of schedule is key, perhaps (to some degree) regardless of results.  How 'bout we don't schedule such a crappy OOC schedule any more?

Edited by jimmyjazz

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic