Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

6 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Do we still want Shaka gone if he makes the tournament and wins a game? Does he need more time?  He has shown nothing to suggest to me that he is the guy for Texas, the current winning streak notwithstanding.

Looking at the history of Texas, there needs to be about 3 qualities that fans require to embrace a b-ball coach.

1. Personality of the coach...blame Abe for settling this high standard....Shaka?...don’t think so

2. Entertaining b-ball.....look at weltlich....the year he finally won, Brownlee etc. took a picture in front of the Erwin Center sign “sold out”.  That was the only game sold out in Bobs tenure...and the game was against aggy pretty sure..visiting fans helped a ton, I believe. Weltlich ball was about as entertaining as watching paint dry.  

Shakaball...entertaining?  Don’t think so.

3. Winning.  See Penders/Barnes level..........Shaka?   Big thumbs down here.

IMO Shaka is 0 for 3.........

I can see a razor close win against OSU, followed by a loss, followed by a big loss as a 12 seed....The hot shooting is coming to an end soon? Did it already end last night?

6 hours ago, VinyVango said:

18-20 wins was a reasonable ceiling expectation for this team after what it lost to graduation and early departure last year.  If that had been accomplished with some non-stagnant offensive sets, common-sense rotations, situational substitutions, more use and development of Hamm/Cunningham/Hepa as the 2nd big on court, less 4 guard ball, and some tougher love when guys like Ramey, AJ, and Febres were trying to emulate James Hardin, it would feel a lot better making the NCAA tournament.

As others have indicated, Shaka's team got better when his line-up and strategy options were drastically reduced by injuries.  He will get a pass for the year by the brass.  I REALLY hope the final 1/4 of this year was a learning experience for him and that he permanently dumps his love/tolerance for high volume, low % shooting beyond the NBA three point line and his preference for riding certain favorite players regardless of how hard they the are playing or how well they are performing (Febres, AJ and Ramey at times).

I felt the same last year... hot finish to a disappointing season... signs of changes worthy of optimism... etc... only to see the same guys who made their run in the NIT looking like a junior high team at times.  

Is Jai Lucas that good of a recruiting presence?... would be nice if we could get some old geyser in that knows how to teach fundamentals in his place, cause Shaka will be back (unless he gets hired away).

odd times....

good points.  didn't Hayes get injured for the entire NIT last year?  again Shaka had to adjust.  Cunningham and Hamm just have a nose for the ball and don't give up.  playing Febres and LIddell was pretty much a waste.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

If Texas goes 2-1 they are safely in the tournament. Really the only way they are out is 0-2, even 1-1 keeps them in the play in game.

a loss to OSU at home could be pretty problematic.  The first round game might be good enough to make up for that but I wouldn't count on it.

what quadrant is OSU in?

36 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

a loss to OSU at home could be pretty problematic.  The first round game might be good enough to make up for that but I wouldn't count on it.

what quadrant is OSU in?

Whatever it is it probably drops a quadrant or so since they're playing us at the Erwin center. I forget the exact numbers but home and away games affect how games count in terms of quadrants. 

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Whatever it is it probably drops a quadrant or so since they're playing us at the Erwin center. I forget the exact numbers but home and away games affect how games count in terms of quadrants. 

76 is the threshold for Quad 2/3, win at home so a win over OSU would be a Q2 win right now (they are 71). If they fall to 76 or lower then it's a Q3 win.

Here's the formula:

Quadrant 1 (Q1): Home (1-30) Neutral (1-50) Away (1-75)
Quadrant 2 (Q2): Home (31-75) Neutral (51-100) Away (76-135)
Quadrant 3 (Q3): Home (76-160) Neutral (101-200) Away (136-240)
Quadrant 4 (Q4): Home (161-353) Neutral (201-353) Away (241-353)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Do we still want Shaka gone if he makes the tournament and wins a game? Does he need more time?  He has shown nothing to suggest to me that he is the guy for Texas, the current winning streak notwithstanding.

Yes

no

There is more evidence that he's an awful coach than there is that he's even mediocre. 

Making the tournament in basketball is slightly more impressive than playing in a bowl game in football. Struggling to even make the tournament when you recruit like we do is an embarrassment. If we bring back Shaka for year six if he’s gone five years without reaching the round of 32 then CDC can take his “I expect top 10 programs” and shove it up his ass.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Making the tournament in basketball is slightly more impressive than playing in a bowl game in football. Struggling to even make the tournament when you recruit like we do is an embarrassment. If we bring back Shaka for year six if he’s gone five years without reaching the round of 32 then CDC can take his “I expect top 10 programs” and shove it up his ass.

this is where I'm at.  but if he makes the tourney he's staying....unfortunately.

5 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

He did give him time, Cunningham was a starter to begin the season. He was abysmal and was rightfully benched. Until the Tech game he had more fouls than points scored (15-7) since he was forced into the rotation again.

I can't deny he hustles his way into some good situations, but the Big 12 is really an average league outside of Baylor and Kansas. Which explains the 6+ game lead those 2 teams have over the rest of the conference.

I still don't understand how Ramey got 31 minutes to Williams 0.

He played two minutes of token white guy ball against Colorado school for the high. Then one minute against Purdue. If Brock’s play got him “rightfully benched” than Febres should be scalping tickets on red river 

Edited by CheesePie
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits/

Look at all the players Shaka currently has on the roster that are Top 25 all-time recruits for Texas : Andrew Jones at 15, Will Baker at 16, Ramey at 19, Liddell at 21, Sims at 23, Coleman at 24, Jones at 25 and Hepa barely missing the Top 25 at #27. With arguably one of the more talented rosters in Texas history Shaka is barely going to qualify for the tourney and it took a miraculous late season win streak to even achieve that playing one of the softest OOC schedules I can ever recall.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chad said:

Look at all the players Shaka currently has on the roster that are Top 25 all-time recruits for Texas : Andrew Jones at 15, Will Baker at 16, Ramey at 19, Liddell at 21, Sims at 23, Coleman at 24, Jones at 25 and Hepa barely missing the Top 25 at #27. With arguably one of the more talented rosters in Texas history Shaka is barely going to qualify for the tourney and it took a miraculous late season win streak to even achieve that playing one of the softest OOC schedules I can ever recall.

Thanks for posting this. I didn't realize that Andrew Jones, Ramey, Liddell, K. Jones and Hepa were that highly rated in their classes. Just makes our performance over the last three years that much more disappointing.

8 hours ago, Chad said:

Imma put a * next to Jones. Just saying. 

• Like 2

So if by dumb luck someone wants to hire Shaka from us because of this late run, would the hiring school be on the hook for any buyout?  I assume we would graciously waive such buyout, if it exists?  Alternative, could we pay a bonus (some number less than the remaining guarantee) to a school willing to take him?

1 hour ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

So if by dumb luck someone wants to hire Shaka from us because of this late run, would the hiring school be on the hook for any buyout?  I assume we would graciously waive such buyout, if it exists?  Alternative, could we pay a bonus (some number less than the remaining guarantee) to a school willing to take him?

His buyout (if he chooses to leave) is basically nothing. He would have to pay the cost of any assistants' contracts that aren't retained by the new coach. So likely something under/around $1 million at most.

Edited by SteveTheJanitor

ESPN seems to think Shaka might leave on his own given that his stock is rising as of late and he might not want to be on the hot seat next season. Hope this happens. Here is the quote:

2. Texas is the situation that will dictate most of the coaching carousel. A couple of weeks ago, it looked highly unlikely that Shaka Smart had any chance of keeping his job; the Longhorns lost by 29 to Iowa State and were 4-8 in the Big 12. They then ripped off a five-game winning streak, including wins over West Virginia, Texas Tech and Oklahoma. So it is no longer a guarantee there will be an opening in Austin -- although Smart could choose to leave on his own and avoid being on the hot seat for yet another season. If it does open, it'll be the job opening that attracts the best candidates this spring. There already have been rumors of inquiries into some of the biggest names in the sport, and we're bound to hear Billy Donovan's name connected at some point (even though he's going to be in the NBA playoffs and therefore isn't leaving anytime soon). Texas Tech's Chris Beard is going to end up as the top target when all is said and done, but he's not a lock to take it, potentially leaving Wichita State's Gregg Marshall or John Beilein as options.

3. If Smart does leave -- whether by being fired or departing on his own -- he'll immediately be a sought-after candidate for a number of jobs. Clemson would be an option, given his time as an assistant coach there from 2006 to 2008, but that's not a guarantee to open. He could be a name at Wake Forest or Georgia Tech, and is also rumored to be a potential target at Boston College. Despite his recent struggles, Smart is still going to be considered a buzzy hire for any team that has had a few down seasons.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/28831854/your-guide-2020-college-basketball-coaching-carousel

• Like 1

Even if this season ended with a crazy run into week 2 of the NCAA tournament, Shaka seems to have that everyone wants us to fail, us-against-the-fans negative vibe that Mack Brown had in his later years.  I am not sure he can get over the heavy/deserved criticism the people who actually watched Texas games dished out this year.  He doesn't really come across as loving the University of Texas.

It may be best for all parties involved if he gets out on a "high" note and heads to G Tech, Clemson, or Wake.  He gets a fresh start and has a few years to grow rather than being a dead-man-walking.  He can take Febres, Liddell, and his choice of Hepa/Hamm/Sims/Coleman with him to make the transition cuddly.  That'll give the new coach a chance to bring in 2 or three guys (PG and PF/C would be ideal)

I could be wrong.  Maybe he's become a die-hard longhorn and feels responsible for the very inconsistent play of his team.  Maybe he's on to something finally and has this thing pointed in the right direction.  (I'm skeptical)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

He can take Febres, Liddell, and his choice of Hepa/Hamm/Sims/Coleman with him to make the transition cuddly. 

you assume they'd rather follow Smart than stay here (or get a completely fresh start elsewhere)-- probably depends on who we hire

Edited by SwanderedTalent

12 hours ago, Chad said:

With arguably one of the more talented rosters in Texas history Shaka is barely going to qualify for the tourney

This team is talented (from a recruiting standpoint), but there have been other teams just as talented that didn't do much better.

2009-2010 Longhorns.  Finished 24-10, 9-7 in the Big 12 and lost in the 1st round as an 8-seed.  That team had: #3 Avery Bradley, #5 Jordan Hamilton, #11 Damion James, #18 Gary Johnson, #33 J'Covan Brown, #38 Lexi Wangmene, #37 Clint Chapman, #39 Justin Mason, #45 Matt Hill,  #46 Dexter Pittman, #63 Varez Ward, plus Dogus Balbay

2012-2013 Longhorns.  Finished 16-18, 7-11 in the Big-12 and lost in the 1st round of the CBA.  That team had: #9 Myck Kabongo, #12 Cam Ridley, #20 Sheldon McClellan, #30 Prince Ibeh, #34 Julien Lewis, #36 Jonathan Holmes, #42 Javan Felix, #53 Connor Lammert, #59 Ioannis Papapetrou

I'm sure there are others if I had the time to look for them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HookEm said:

2009-2010 Longhorns.  Finished 24-10, 9-7 in the Big 12 and lost in the 1st round as an 8-seed.  That team had: #3 Avery Bradley, #5 Jordan Hamilton, #11 Damion James, #18 Gary Johnson, #33 J'Covan Brown, #38 Lexi Wangmene, #37 Clint Chapman, #39 Justin Mason, #45 Matt Hill,  #46 Dexter Pittman, #63 Varez Ward, plus Dogus Balbay

that's still the biggest disaster of a season in the modern era. there's no reason it had to turn out the way it did

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Boston College would be perfect. Lets do that. 

Who is “let’s” in that sentence because the only way that happens is if they decide they want him or he gets fired and hired by BC.

Just now, Pancho said:

Who is “let’s” in that sentence because the only way that happens is if they decide they want him or he gets fired and hired by BC.

No WE decide. Haven’t you been listening? 

7 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Rick Barnes, who coached at Providence, did great things at Texas before he got lazy. We need Billy Donovan, a Providence alum, to take Texas to new highs. I am all in for Billy.

OKC is making the playoffs. Donovan isn’t going anywhere. This boat has sailed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HookEm said:

2012-2013 Longhorns.  Finished 16-18, 7-11 in the Big-12 and lost in the 1st round of the CBA.  That team had: #9 Myck Kabongo, #12 Cam Ridley, #20 Sheldon McClellan, #30 Prince Ibeh, #34 Julien Lewis, #36 Jonathan Holmes, #42 Javan Felix, #53 Connor Lammert, #59 Ioannis Papapetrou

I'll give you 2010. That's a pretty stacked roster that should have done better than .500ish in the B12. 

I'm not sure why you're listing 2013. Unless you're romanticizing a bunch of guys that didn't even get a cup of coffee in the NBA (and who weren't particularly good in college if we're being honest).

17 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

that's still the biggest disaster of a season in the modern era. there's no reason it had to turn out the way it did

totally mind boggling. we *were* the best team in America, there was no question about it. We were deep, talented, athletic, and we were running teams out of the fucking gym. Like, winning by 30 and/or scoring 100 points on the regular. We started something like 16-0 didn't we? And then we lost two in a row and the bottom just fell out. the vibe around the team was toxic. it only got worse and worse and worse until the team was finally taken out back and shot by Wake Forest in an 8 vs 9 game. just the worst, most painful season of my life. 

• Like 2

Y'all act like Smart gave Jones leukemia or something. Y'all need to see the bigger picture here. There's room for argument that if Jones never got leukemia and a few other injuries never happened that Smart would have made the tournament each season he was here. Life happens. Smart has handled all of the curve balls with an admirable amount of class. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 12

On 3/4/2020 at 10:16 AM, Goo Punch said:

i love all of the CBB writers/analysts who don't even watch our games coming out of the woodwork talking about "what a great job Shaka Smart has done to turn this team around". that's pulitzer level stuff folks. if Matt doesn't hit that miracle shot last night then we lose, we're on the wrong side of the bubble, and the writers/analysts continue to ignore us/know essentially nothing about us. but the shot did go in, and it was all over ESPN, and now all of the hot takes about "Shaka Smart righting the ship" are out in full force. I'd love to see these guys have to type more than 120 characters, and expound on their claims that Shaka has done a great job. Fucking lazy-ass, twitter-era journalism.

5 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

ESPN seems to think Shaka might leave on his own given that his stock is rising as of late and he might not want to be on the hot seat next season. Hope this happens. Here is the quote:

2. Texas is the situation that will dictate most of the coaching carousel. A couple of weeks ago, it looked highly unlikely that Shaka Smart had any chance of keeping his job; the Longhorns lost by 29 to Iowa State and were 4-8 in the Big 12. They then ripped off a five-game winning streak, including wins over West Virginia, Texas Tech and Oklahoma. So it is no longer a guarantee there will be an opening in Austin -- although Smart could choose to leave on his own and avoid being on the hot seat for yet another season. If it does open, it'll be the job opening that attracts the best candidates this spring. There already have been rumors of inquiries into some of the biggest names in the sport, and we're bound to hear Billy Donovan's name connected at some point (even though he's going to be in the NBA playoffs and therefore isn't leaving anytime soon). Texas Tech's Chris Beard is going to end up as the top target when all is said and done, but he's not a lock to take it, potentially leaving Wichita State's Gregg Marshall or John Beilein as options.

3. If Smart does leave -- whether by being fired or departing on his own -- he'll immediately be a sought-after candidate for a number of jobs. Clemson would be an option, given his time as an assistant coach there from 2006 to 2008, but that's not a guarantee to open. He could be a name at Wake Forest or Georgia Tech, and is also rumored to be a potential target at Boston College. Despite his recent struggles, Smart is still going to be considered a buzzy hire for any team that has had a few down seasons.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/28831854/your-guide-2020-college-basketball-coaching-carousel

So now ESPN agrees with my fantasy prediction.   Now I saw that CBS sports commentary giving Shaka the credit for the streak.  It all comes down to two games.  Must win vs. OSU and must win the first NCAA game.  

The national media is just dying to give all the credit to Shaka, to build him up...and guess what...it can work.  Cdc is gonna say no to extension.  His agent and the national media will have Shaka convinced he deserves a heckuva lot better than the 3 years remaining at Texas.  

With that, I think our chances of beating OSU are not much better than they were against OU.  4 field goals in the last 10 minutes, hot shooting is over,.  This game is a coin flip.  

17 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

So now ESPN agrees with my fantasy prediction.   Now I saw that CBS sports commentary giving Shaka the credit for the streak.  It all comes down to two games.  Must win vs. OSU and must win the first NCAA game.  

The national media is just dying to give all the credit to Shaka, to build him up...and guess what...it can work.  Cdc is gonna say no to extension.  His agent and the national media will have Shaka convinced he deserves a heckuva lot better than the 3 years remaining at Texas.  

With that, I think our chances of beating OSU are not much better than they were against OU.  4 field goals in the last 10 minutes, hot shooting is over,.  This game is a coin flip.  

I watched a few minutes of Longhorn Weekly where Shaka was talking about the streak.  He flat out said that the coaching staff hasn't changed anything.  The players are just buying into it right now, but that could change at any given time.  As always, it's all up to the players.  Why do we even need a coach? 

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Pancho said:

If you believe the humidor of IT, then they are saying he’s pretty much saved his job.

whats our percentage of landing Brown?

we've taken a nosedive in the GBIII sweepstakes. I'll be in complete shock if he picks Texas at this point. Auburn, UK, and Memphis seem to be his final three, although technically Texas and Michigan have not been eliminated yet.

Texas fired Rick Barnes who made the tournament year in and year out. Now some of us think Shaka deserves to be our coach just because a late season run to save his job might let the horns sneak in to the tournament. Talk about resetting expectations lower!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Texas fired Rick Barnes who made the tournament year in and year out. Now some of us think Shaka deserves to be our coach just because a late season run to save his job might let the horns sneak in to the tournament. Talk about resetting expectations lower!

I'm curious what type of job Shaka can now leverage out of this run.

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

I'm curious what type of job Shaka can now leverage out of this run.

Surprising to me, I discovered the other day that Shaka's three years remaining on his deal was among the very few that had only three years left or less.  There was at least one, Self, who had less than three years remaining.  I think it is more about the job security than the amount of $ per year.  Based on my projection of winning one game in the NCAA tourney, his agent should be able to get 6 years at some school, any school, for at least $2.5 million per year, which would get Shaka off the hot seat.  He doesn't want to be on the hot seat all year.  

• Like 1

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic