Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

I keep meaning to bring this up, but did I read correctly that Texas only shot 2 free throws at OU? 2!!!?? Was it a total jobbing by the refs? Or more of Shaka Smart attempting to pull the bookshelf on top of himself with a bunch of outside shooting nonsense?

I’m sure it happens all of the time, but I don’t remember seeing a box score in big college basketball or higher in which one team shot 2 or fewer free throws while the other team threw up close to 30. 

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I keep meaning to bring this up, but did I read correctly that Texas only shot 2 free throws at OU? 2!!!?? Was it a total jobbing by the refs? Or more of Shaka Smart attempting to pull the bookshelf on top of himself with a bunch of outside shooting nonsense?

I’m sure it happens all of the time, but I don’t remember seeing a box score in big college basketball or higher in which one team shot 2 or fewer free throws while the other team threw up close to 30. 

the only two FTs we even shot were because of a flagrant foul. never got a single shooting foul, nor did we get fouled while in the bonus. why did it happen? well the refs were absolute garbage, that is a fact, but to me it had a lot more to do with our well-established playing style that doesn't lead to FT opportunities. we hang around the perimeter passing the ball around/jacking threes 80% of the time, and then when we do get a dribble drive our guard is usually just flying towards the basket with his head down, settling for some off-balance fade away instead of going strong and drawing the foul. so yeah, the refs were ass, but we do ourselves zero favors when it comes to getting to the line. 

Edited by Goo Punch

We have a reputation as a soft team, we aren’t getting calls in the lane. Coleman was fouled out on the perimeter all night and it was never called. It’s not just trying to score the basketball, we can get to the 1 and 1. Shaka getting technicals did a solid job of restoring some sort of balance in those games.

I’d like to make the tourney and get a new coach if that’s possible. Failure today would oust him and turn the heat all the way up imo.

59 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It happened because of what's been happening with our team the entire basketball season--our offense. 

For the 80th time, the offense we run isn't one that generates contact on the defender which leads to foul calls which leads to FTs.  In fact, teams have learned to not foul us because we really aren't even attempting at driving the ball (which leads to more FT attempts) or having any sort of post play (which leads to FTs).  A simple sag-and-help type defense will work against Texas because they know we won't drive the ball rather our players will do one of the following: 1.) stop and pop or 2.) kick it out for a 3-pt shot.  None of those lead to very many FTs.  

It's what we've done the entire season if anyone has watched us play the entire season. 

This isn't some ref conspiracy against Texas because it's what we've done all fucking year.  It's the offense, bob. 

20 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

the only two FTs we even shot were because of a flagrant foul. never got a single shooting foul, nor did we get fouled while in the bonus. why did it happen? well the refs were absolute garbage, that is a fact, but to me it had a lot more to do with our well-established playing style that doesn't lead to FT opportunities. we hang around the perimeter passing the ball around/jacking threes 80% of the time, and then when we do get a dribble drive our guard is usually just flying towards the basket with his head down, settling for some off-balance fade away instead of going strong and drawing the foul. so yeah, the refs were ass, but we do ourselves zero favors when it comes to getting to the line. 

I've always felt that John Higgins is a ridiculously overrated Ref... seems to not have any respect for Shaka.

Any way to get a breakdown by Ref of who they called fouls on???  Seemed like during one stretch against blOU,  Higgins called 4 straight fouls on Texas??

Just now, LTtxfan said:

I've always felt that John Higgins is a ridiculously overrated Ref... seems to not have any respect for Shaka.

Any way to get a breakdown by Ref of who they called fouls on???  Seemed like during one stretch against blOU,  Higgins called 4 straight fouls on Texas??

There used to be a website that tracked that stuff, but I don't think it works anymore.  I'll check it out later today. 

Higgins is past his prime, for sure.  There are games I've seen him this year where it looks like he's barely trying.  Yes, part of that is because it's March and he's probably working his 80th game already (and he travels from coast to coast) but I also think--specifically with Higgins--the Kentucky thing and the lawsuit he just lost again has impacted him mentally. 

Higgins is also just arrogant because of his success.  Shaka is too soft spoken and not an angry dog like Self or Calipari.  With someone like Higgins, you have to be able to go back at him.  The times I've seen Higgins get on Shaka, Shaka just backs down.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pancho said:

There used to be a website that tracked that stuff, but I don't think it works anymore.  I'll check it out later today. 

Higgins is past his prime, for sure.  There are games I've seen him this year where it looks like he's barely trying.  Yes, part of that is because it's March and he's probably working his 80th game already (and he travels from coast to coast) but I also think--specifically with Higgins--the Kentucky thing and the lawsuit he just lost again has impacted him mentally. 

Higgins is also just arrogant because of his success.  Shaka is too soft spoken and not an angry dog like Self or Calipari.  With someone like Higgins, you have to be able to go back at him.  The times I've seen Higgins get on Shaka, Shaka just backs down.  

what was the name of that tall, beady eyed, balding ref who used to do all of our games like 10-15 years ago? he was so arrogant, and so bad at his job.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Jobbed by the refs. We nearly doubled up OU in points (24 to 14) in the paint yet couldn’t get a call to save our lives. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It happened because of what's been happening with our team the entire basketball season--our offense. 

For the 80th time, the offense we run isn't one that generates contact on the defender which leads to foul calls which leads to FTs.  In fact, teams have learned to not foul us because we really aren't even attempting at driving the ball (which leads to more FT attempts) or having any sort of post play (which leads to FTs).  A simple sag-and-help type defense will work against Texas because they know we won't drive the ball rather our players will do one of the following: 1.) stop and pop or 2.) kick it out for a 3-pt shot.  None of those lead to very many FTs.  

It's what we've done the entire season if anyone has watched us play the entire season. 

This isn't some ref conspiracy against Texas because it's what we've done all fucking year.  It's the offense, bob. 

Yeah, yeah, all what your saying applies to the overall season, but 29-2 is unequivocally bullshit and there’s no explanation for it. We damn near doubled them up in points in the paint, shot 35 2pt FGs, and out rebounded them. There’s no justification for a FT disparity that large given the above stats. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

what was the name of that tall, beady eyed, balding ref who used to do all of our games like 10-15 years ago? he was so arrogant, and so bad at his job.

Probably Steve Welmer.  

I think he actually played college ball before he started reffing. 

He broke his foot years ago and retired. 

15 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yeah, yeah, all what your saying applies to the overall season, but 29-2 is unequivocally bullshit and there’s no explanation for it. We damn near doubled them up in points in the paint, shot 35 2pt FGs, and out rebounded them. There’s no justification for a FT disparity that large given the above stats. 

Ehh, I'd say context plays a part there.  I'm not excusing the officiating at all.  I'm not taking up for them either.  

Texas is also dead last (350th out of 350 universities) in FT attempts this season.  

For more analysis, OU is actually a great defensive team. Oklahoma ranks 5th in the nation in fewest fouls per game and 2nd in the nation in personal fouls per game.  (Texas ranks 220th in fewest fouls per game and 243rd in personal fouls per game.) 

With all of that being said, Shaka still should be fired. 

26 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Probably Steve Welmer.  

I think he actually played college ball before he started reffing. 

He broke his foot years ago and retired. 

yep, that's the guy. man i could not stand him. he loved being able to literally look down on coaches. 

Cunningham got kicked in the balls and no foul was called even after a review.  Andrew Jones got called for a foul despite never touching the guy.  Multiple times the announcers who are told not to call out refs called out the refs for atrocious calls against Texas.  We were more physical and aggressive in that game which is why we won despite getting fucked over by the refs.

the officiating against OU was absolute crap, but unfortunately that's what you expect when a team that plays like we do goes on the road, particularly against a rival. that said, there really is no excuse for that FT disparity. we were way too aggressive to not have shot a bunch of FTs that game. 

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

None of which applies to the game we are discussing. Last Tuesday in the game that took place in Norman, Oklahoma at 8 pm CST we were jobbed. 

Gooooooooo Longhorns the big 12 refs tried to rip us off. But we won anyway

• Like 3

I think we win today. Win one game in the big 12 tournament. Get in the tournament as an 11 seed. Win our opening NCAA tournament game. Get blown out in the round of 32. Shaka saves his job. Shaka agent asks for extension. CDC says no. Shaka agent gets pissed and threatens that Shaka gonna leave. CDC says ok. Shaka can’t find a better deal. Shaka comes back next year and 2020-21 is basically the same as this year.

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

I mean, I watch most of the games and I mentioned in my post the thought about it just being the offense, but 29-2 has to be a statistical outlier that could damn well imply ref filth. I just didn’t get to see the game and didn’t see any rants about the refs so I was curious about what the hell it was. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I mean, I watch most of the games and I mentioned in my post the thought about it just being the offense, but 29-2 has to be a statistical outlier that could damn well imply ref filth. I just didn’t get to see the game and didn’t see any rants about the refs so I was curious about what the hell it was. 

No rants about the refs because we won and most people just don't give a shit anymore.

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

in other words, you think very little of Chris del Conte as an Athletic Director. 

That remains to be seen. But it’s UT basketball, not football. If Shaka was the football coach he never sees a fourth season. Just making a prediction, not saying it’s right. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The refs were garbage. But the 29-2 stat makes it seem worse than it was. We were actually called for almost exactly twice as many fouls 10 vs. 21. I was pretty pissed about 5 or 6 calls during the game.

Well i'll just say this: I don't believe that Shaka can "save his job" as so many others seem to, short of making a FF run, which is just not going to happen. I mean, I certainly hope that CDC doesn't find himself watching Texas playing in the first round going, "ok Shaka, win this and you can stay." These last few games of Shaka's fifth year should have very little to do with decision.

Edited by Goo Punch

14 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Well i'll just say this: I don't believe that Shaka can "save his job" as so many others seem to, short of making a FF run, which is just not going to happen. I mean, I certainly hope that CDC doesn't find himself watching Texas playing in the first round going, "ok Shaka, win this and you can stay." These last few games of Shaka's fifth year should have nothing to do with decision.

If Texas makes NCAA Tourney, hard to see CDC willing to pay $10mill buyout on Shaka unless Beilein is already lined up as the next Longhorn Basketball Head Coach...

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Meh. I’d like Shaka to be gone if we make the tourney and win only one game.

He's had five years to win only one game in the tournament and he hasn't even done that.

But hey, he stopped the three-year streak of losing seasons in the Big 12 by going 9-9 in a down year for the conference. 

This is Shaka's peak.  19-12 and on the bubble.

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

What if we win the NIT again?

Can you fire a back-to-back champion coach?

I mean, I could, but I also would've fired this fraudulent sack of crap at least two years ago.

I wouldn’t accept a NIT bid.  I would already be talking to coach b. If cdc is the money raising person he claims, I wouldn’t be concerned about the dough.  Besides, who wants to see another year of nit home crowds of less than 2000?

I see everyone's favorite OU hero was 0fer from the field with 4 fouls. There really is just no consistency from game to game with this bunch. Back to needed to win our 1st game in the Big 12 tournament to make the field. So, let's go ahead and mark it down for a loss.

So if OU wins at TCU, then 4 teams would finish 4-4. OU would get the #3 seed because they went 4-2 against the other 3 teams, WVU would the 6th seed because they were 2-4. Texas and Texas Tech would have to go all the way down to the ISU tiebreaker, Tech 2-0, Texas 1-1 to determine that they get the 4th seed.

Texas vs. Tech in the Big 12 quarters.

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic