Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

Basketball at Texas is never one of the biggest decisions of an AD's career here. I know people like to think that, but it is not true. We are football first, baseball second. Don't get me wrong, folks would love a great basketball team, but it's not something we are accustomed to.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Deej said:

Basketball at Texas is never one of the biggest decisions of an AD's career here. I know people like to think that, but it is not true.

Bullshit. The decision of whether or not to fire Shaka Smart/hire a new HC/staff is one that involves us spending tens of millions of dollars. If we fire Shaka/his staff that costs ~$11.5M. then we have to go sign a new head coach (and his entire staff) to a lucrative contract. The popularity of the team/sport is totally irrelevant. When it comes to spending tens of millions, it's never something that's taken lightly. It's a big deal. 

with all of that said, it only reinforces my point re: what do we even gain by not firing Shaka/encouraging him to move on? A few million bucks? That's it? Why would that stand in the way of Texas signing John Beilein when he's miraculously available and we happen to already employ his top assistant who helped lead the two best teams that Beilein has ever coached? If saving $3-4M is more important to Texas than hiring John Beilein then fuck us. There's no way I'm buying that. No way. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

the only reason Shaka wasn't fired 1-2 years ago is because of that ridiculous guaranteed contract we gave him after his first year here. it has nothing to do with passion. we are now beyond the point where it's a question as to whether or not Shaka Smart is going to work at Texas. We've held onto him to this point to save money, but that time has come and gone. We are talking $3-4M now, to not only fire a terrible coach, but to back up all of the "top 10 across the board" talk. It CDC takes his job seriously then Shaka is done. 

i'll put it to you this way: I, Derka Derka (along with Wulaw and at least a few other brilliant internet experts) recognized that Shaka was in way over his head in the Big XII three years ago. you have to have a very, very low opinion of CDC to think that he hasn't known what a fraud Shaka is for a very long time now. if you really think that CDC hasn't known *exactly* what he plans to do with Shaka for months now then you really must not think jack shit of CDC. any mate season results/happenings have no affect on the decision. if you think otherwise, then you have zero faith in CDC to do his job. 

also- Texas BMD's might not care about basketball, but they also love nothing more than being buddy-buddy with one of the big coaches on campus, and if CDC brings in a winner *cough* John Beilein *cough* then there will be no shortage of BMD's ready to jump on his dick so that they can brag to their golfing buddies on Sunday how Coach Beilein ate Chilean sea bass at their house on Friday night. Facts. CDC knows this. He's not incompetent. Firing Shaka is the only move *if* CDC takes his job seriously, which I happen to think he does. I will be extremely disappointed and pissed if Shaka is still our coach one month from today. 

• Like 1

You would think NBA guys names are now available since that season has been canceled. Any guys expected or connected we should know about?
The NBA isn't canceled, they plan to start up again at some point, maybe going right into the playoffs. What you may see though is non-playoff teams and coaches mutually parting ways in the next few weeks.

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Bullshit. The decision of whether or not to fire Shaka Smart/hire a new HC/staff is one that involves us spending tens of millions of dollars. If we fire Shaka/his staff that costs ~$11.5M. then we have to go sign a new head coach (and his entire staff) to a lucrative contract. The popularity of the team/sport is totally irrelevant. When it comes to spending tens of millions, it's never something that's taken lightly. It's a big deal. 

with all of that said, it only reinforces my point re: what do we even gain by not firing Shaka/encouraging him to move on? A few million bucks? That's it? Why would that stand in the way of Texas signing John Beilein when he's miraculously available and we happen to already employ his top assistant who helped lead the two best teams that Beilein has ever coached? If saving $3-4M is more important to Texas than hiring John Beilein then fuck us. There's no way I'm buying that. No way. 

I finally looked at Coach B. Wiki page.  Unbelievably awesome.  Coach of the year so many different places.  I hope, wish cdc cares half as much as you Derka.  Is this the easiest slam dunk of a basketball decision in the history of the sport, or am I missing something?  

21 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

x/posting from a different thread:  there's a ton of people in the fire shaka thread speculating that his job has been saved by this pandemic, and i think that all of you are wrong. i don't think the corona virus plays any part in the decision, nor do i think that any result against Tech would have played a part in the decision.  It's so strange to me that 95% of people here think that CDC is "waiting to see how this season shakes out" before making a decision. This is one of the biggest decisions of his entire career at Texas, it involves a lot of money, and the decision has surely already been made by now. Our AD isn't going to wait to get the ball rolling on that process just so that he can see whether or not we defend our NIT crown. If CDC is fit to be the Texas AD then he's been making moves behind the scenes for months now. No result at the ass end of Shaka's fifth year here is going to change anything. 

x/posting response from a different thread:

Unless Beilein is lined up, my guess is Shaka gets to return next season...

Edited by LTtxfan

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Can’t read it all but guessing the big name schools (like Texas) aren’t going to make major changes until next year due to the tournament cancellation  

Spoiler

The big question for much of this season has been whether Texas would move on Shaka Smart, but even that domino chain might have been stopped if the school replaced Smart with Beilein, who resigned from the Cavaliers during the NBA All-Star break. Smart, however, appeared on the verge of saving his job with a late five-game win streak that put the Longhorns back on the NCAA Tournament bubble after a 4-8 start in the Big 12. We’ll never know, of course, if Texas would have played its way into the tournament, so it has become much less likely that Texas would cut him loose. Not to mention that the school would have to pay Smart a $10.5 million buyout. Given all the uncertainty (especially financially) the world is facing right now, that would be a bad look, to say the least.

Pretty weird to try and misinform others of what an article says when you can't read it.  It just says that if we hire Beilein there wouldn't be a big chain reaction pf other hires/firings and paying 10.5 mil for a buyout is a "bad look" according to him in today's climate.

Edited by Teryor

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Can’t read it all but guessing the big name schools (like Texas) aren’t going to make major changes until next year due to the tournament cancellation  

the part about Texas: 

The big question for much of this season has been whether Texas would move on Shaka Smart, but even that domino chain might have been stopped if the school replaced Smart with Beilein, who resigned from the Cavaliers during the NBA All-Star break. Smart, however, appeared on the verge of saving his job with a late five-game win streak that put the Longhorns back on the NCAA Tournament bubble after a 4-8 start in the Big 12. We’ll never know, of course, if Texas would have played its way into the tournament, so it has become much less likely that Texas would cut him loose. Not to mention that the school would have to pay Smart a $10.5 million buyout. Given all the uncertainty (especially financially) the world is facing right now, that would be a bad look, to say the least.

A)i don't agree at all with the idea that he was winning his job back with that cute little win streak we had, and B)we don't owe him $10.5M today, we owe it over the course of the next three years, and C)we have to pay him that money no matter what, so i also disagree with the idea that it would be a "bad look" for Texas to fire an awful coach based on the economy taking a dive. lazy journalism there, something we've seen a lot of lately with national journalists who suddenly have opinions on a program/coach they haven't been following for years. 

21 minutes ago, Teryor said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Pretty weird to try and misinform others of what an article says when you can't read it.  It just says that if we hire Beilein there wouldn't be a big chain reaction pf other hires/firings and paying 10.5 mil for a buyout is a "bad look" according to him in today's climate.

Misinform? Take a Xanax bro.

Thanks for posting it. It’s a huge buyout when we just lost 2.5 months worth of home game revenue and postseason tv money. 

I’m actually coming around with  derka on this.  It’s not a buyout, never has been. It’s a sunk cost, one year at a time.  Attendance for next year is pretty much set.  Except for the people who want to visit the Erwin center one more time before it closes, we’re looking at avg of 8000 paid attendance, with the occasional embarrassing TCU style near empty look.  Do cdc and athletics council willingly tolerate an embarrassment look? For another year?

No matter how closely you follow basketball, it’s hard to stomach, at least it would be for me.  

i'm gonna boycott next season if he returns. pretty much the entire list of guys who were thought to be candidates last year but went elsewhere had successful seasons including multiple guys named their conference's coach of the year. if we just sit here idly and watch John Beilein go somewhere else so that we can save $3-4 million bucks then i will be physically ill. the only thing emptier than my stomach will be the FEC. 

• Like 1

The win/loss record isn’t exciting. There’s very little exciting about the program. We were led to believe shaka appeals to students, there’s scant evidence of it the past 5 years, judging by our “crowds”, or lack thereof. 

I have no desire to attend games, pay outlandish ticket prices and park a long way off to watch mediocre basketball, then drive 100 mi back to Waco afterwards. 

I was pleasantly surprised during the 5 game win streak. I think players pride runs deep. Shaka has pride. Even when talent wasn’t on our side, we managed to win some highly unwinnable games. But we can’t evaluate Shaka’s 5 years on a single 5 game streak. It must be judged on the whole 5 years.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

i'm gonna boycott next season if he returns. pretty much the entire list of guys who were thought to be candidates last year but went elsewhere had successful seasons including multiple guys named their conference's coach of the year. if we just sit here idly and watch John Beilein go somewhere else so that we can save $3-4 million bucks then i will be physically ill. the only thing emptier than my stomach will be the FEC. 

But surly will be happy if you boycott game threads and the basketball realm entirely 

Edited by Revolution512
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

oh no, it would be a bad look for us!!!!! we can't do anything that will be unpopular with.... whomever would think badly of us in this hypothetical situation. 

it would be really sad if suddenly everyone acted like every single fucking thing we ever did was a huge problem for college sports!!! I would hate it if we made people upset by actually trying to win some fucking games instead of Losing With Integrity. 

such a bowtie Republican way of looking at it. fuck anyone who thinks that way, or anyone (Seth!) who thinks we SHOULD think that way. 

We should stop throwing our muscle around only when it brings in more money, and we should start doing it in ways that will win us some fucking games and hamstring the shit-ass programs in this state that have feasted on fat, happy, lazy, "it's not whether you win or lose, it's whether you do things The Right Way" Texas forever.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Given all the uncertainty (especially financially) the world is facing right now, that would be a bad look, to say the least.

Getting rid of a proven bad coach is not a bad look, rather keeping him on payroll after getting blown out by some of the lower half of the conference is. 

• Like 1

His last tournament win was 3/21/13.  There's a good possibility that 53 weeks from now, there will be 8 year olds that have never been on Earth for a Shaka Smart tournament win.  

More importantly, there will be 7 year olds that have not been alive for a Texas tournament win.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mossyhorn said:

The win/loss record isn’t exciting. There’s very little exciting about the program. We were led to believe shaka appeals to students, there’s scant evidence of it the past 5 years, judging by our “crowds”, or lack thereof. 

I have no desire to attend games, pay outlandish ticket prices and park a long way off to watch mediocre basketball, then drive 100 mi back to Waco afterwards. 

I was pleasantly surprised during the 5 game win streak. I think players pride runs deep. Shaka has pride. Even when talent wasn’t on our side, we managed to win some highly unwinnable games. But we can’t evaluate Shaka’s 5 years on a single 5 game streak. It must be judged on the whole 5 years.

agree there is zero excitement. the only thing that appeals to students as it relates to basketball at Texas is winning big.   We have had talent, in fact top 10-15 talent. every one of those games we won we had the better talent.  KU is the only team that has obvious better talent. We are viewing from the lens of low expectations now because we are so desperate, after 5 years of shitty basketball.

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

also cameltoe told you so. 

I’ve followed the clown show from afar and it’s really really really hard to fathom. My sense is even myopic Greg Gym and his absurd “we’ve got to give him 5 years” schtick is off the bandwagon and cameltoe. Is the only one left. I assume, simply, that it’s a personal and/or race thing with him- either that or a high consumption of paint chips. 

Absolutely zero rational look at shaka’s resume can say anything other than abject failure. 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I assume, simply, that it’s a personal and/or race thing with him

Ding ding ding.

If you view the preponderance of posts as a whole, dating back to Shaggy - a pattern emerges.

oh and HI BUDDY!

Edited by CurlyDumps

Last mention of basketball team on cdc Twitter was March 8, before OSU loss.  After corona crisis ends, does cdc hope we forget there was a basketball program?  Or is he first out of the gate to go get coach B? I imagine his days are filled with trying to project how much money he has to work with, in various scenarios.  One thing for sure.  Somebody’s gonna get a heckuva coach.

Next year could be a strange and possibly rage-worthy deja vu with the entire roster and coaching staff returning, especially if Shaka sticks with the same substitution preferences/patterns and loose reigns over shot selection and lax player effort and focus when things get tough.

I hope the non-conference slate has more than a french bakery of cream puffs on it.  The shit early schedule this year allowed for the players and coaches to hide behind a good W-L record for 1/3 of the season.  

I cannot say I am remotely excited about reliving another season with the same cast of characters... It'll take more than a buzzer beater over McNeese State to get fans interested in coming back into the drum.

On 3/18/2020 at 12:20 AM, immortal13 said:

For me, this is the most depressing thread on surly. 

Yeah I think this encapsulates it. I pretty much want to end it everytime I see this title and am reminded that Shaka still coaches at UT. 

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic