Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

If you can stand to listen...

yeah, I put myself through the torture, and here is somewhat of a summary.

1. CB doesn't have a clue, acts like he didn't even watch the OSU game, claimed Texas had momentum at the end of the season. 

2. The other dude, Evan?, acted as if he were Shaka's agent, claiming Shaka could have been in the top two or three for the UCLA job last year, but really "wants to make it work" at Texas.

3.  CB at the end offered a ridiculous "I know one thing.  If there is no positive momentum  a year from now, CDC is going to make a change."  One of the dumbest things ever. 

a. You cannot possibly know what CDC is going to do a year from now. 

b. What is the difference between now and a year from now? 

4.  the Greg Brown recruitment.  CB acted like the team would all of sudden be a physical, good defensive team next year with the addition of GB. 

My response is this:  Why would GB want to come play in front of an empty Erwin Center and play for a substandard coach, who can only recruit?  

They did make mention of the finances, which is what I have been focused on.  I agree completely that the boosters are going to be unwilling to open checkbooks while the stock market is down.  That to me is the biggest potential difference between now and this time next year.  I think this market is going to come back, but when is anybody's guess. 

I've talked a lot about how badly i've missed two things that our last head coach practiced that our current HC does not: straightforward talk, and holding people accountable. And frankly, I don't understand how any fan of any sport can *not* actively want his HC to be that way. Name any super successful HC in any sport, and there's a 95% chance that that person is a straightforward talker who holds people (including himself/herself accountable). For me Shaka's complete lack in both of these departments is equally if not more so responsible for his failures at Texas than his actual lack of coaching experience and acumen.

Now, I bring all of this up, because a friend of mine just shared this video with me, and it is emblematic of how I want my HC to comport himself, day in and day out, cameras on/cameras off. It's a video of one of the greatest basketball coaches of all time breaking down why it's hard to get through to today's players, and it's perfect. It's also diametrically opposed to how Shaka comports himself, and no matter how many new assistants or five star players he brings in, we will always be a milquetoast program that takes after its milquetoast head coach. This is what a real coach sounds like:

at this point i have no doubt that five years ago we could have hired some random HS coach with zero college experience whatsoever, and if he brought that ^^^^ mentality to the table every day that he could have Texas better off than where we currently are under this child of a coach, whose very personality makes him the wrong man for the job. Our team shares his personality, and it's a losing personality/mentality. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

I don't know that I disagree necessarily, but that rant sounds like every old person bemoaning "kids these days".

Maybe, but he 100% believes it and he walks the walk as well. The guy actually benched one of the greatest players his sport has ever seen for an entire game because her body language sucked. And we see this exact type of zero tolerance, no-nonsense coaching style from so many of the great coaches- Saban, Belichick, Summitt, Knight, Augie, Pop, I could go on- so many of the greats demand an elite level of professionalism and consistency in so many different areas- even those that my seem superfluous on the surface- and it works.

And you know, the fact that so many analysts, and bloggers, and pundits bend over backwards to talk about how great of a guy Shaka Smart is, is not only annoying, but to me it points towards his limitations as a coach. He wants to be well liked, he wants to be everybody's friend, and he's so wrapped up in his own identity that he can't even see how it hurts him. He's not a hardass, he's not a "my way or the highway" guy, he's not even someone who commands real deal respect from anyone (least of all officials). His players love him, sure, but they're too young and ignorant to know how badly he's holding them back by not being more demanding of them. Augie's players loved him too, but he got the most out of them. Shaka has an attitude/MO that's suited for youth coaching, and that's frankly embarrassing at a school like Texas. To have him as our HC 6 (or more?) seasons is just a gut punch. 

Edited by Goo Punch

19 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

yeah, I put myself through the torture, and here is somewhat of a summary.

1. CB doesn't have a clue, acts like he didn't even watch the OSU game, claimed Texas had momentum at the end of the season. 

2. The other dude, Evan?, acted as if he were Shaka's agent, claiming Shaka could have been in the top two or three for the UCLA job last year, but really "wants to make it work" at Texas.

3.  CB at the end offered a ridiculous "I know one thing.  If there is no positive momentum  a year from now, CDC is going to make a change."  One of the dumbest things ever. 

a. You cannot possibly know what CDC is going to do a year from now. 

b. What is the difference between now and a year from now? 

4.  the Greg Brown recruitment.  CB acted like the team would all of sudden be a physical, good defensive team next year with the addition of GB. 

My response is this:  Why would GB want to come play in front of an empty Erwin Center and play for a substandard coach, who can only recruit?  

They did make mention of the finances, which is what I have been focused on.  I agree completely that the boosters are going to be unwilling to open checkbooks while the stock market is down.  That to me is the biggest potential difference between now and this time next year.  I think this market is going to come back, but when is anybody's guess. 

What does CB stand for?

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Maybe, but he 100% believes it and he walks the walk as well. The guy actually benched one of the greatest players his sport has ever seen for an entire game because her body language sucked. And we see this exact type of zero tolerance, no-nonsense coaching style from so many of the great coaches- Saban, Belichick, Summitt, Knight, Augie, Pop, I could go on- so many of the greats demand an elite level of professionalism and consistency in so many different areas- even those that my seem superfluous on the surface- and it works.

And you know, the fact that so many analysts, and bloggers, and pundits bend over backwards to talk about how great of a guy Shaka Smart is, is not only annoying, but to me it points towards his limitations as a coach. He wants to be well liked, he wants to be everybody's friend, and he's so wrapped up in his own identity that he can't even see how it hurts him. He's not a hardass, he's not a "my way or the highway" guy, he's not even someone who commands real deal respect from anyone (least of all officials). His players love him, sure, but they're too young and ignorant to know how badly he's holding them back by not being more demanding of them. Augie's players loved him too, but he got the most out of them. Shaka has an attitude/MO that's suited for youth coaching, and that's frankly embarrassing at a school like Texas. To have him as our HC 6 (or more?) seasons is just a gut punch. 

Counterpoints: Phil Jackson, Steve Kerr, Urban Meyer (dickhead but not the same kind of dickhead as Saban), Switzer.

The hardass coach is one way to develop championship culture, but history suggests it is hardly the only path.

†† Not suggesting that Shaka is a guy that will suddenly develop championship culture. I just don't think the reincarnation of Bobby Knight is necessarily the ideal replacement.

• Like 1

Straightforwardness and accountability; that's the focal point of what I'm talking about here. I think that every coach you named, hardass or not, employs those things as well, and those things just aren't in Shaka's nature. Dead serious, we're five years in and I struggle to remember a single candid quote from Shaka Smart. I can't recall a single substantive comment about himself, his team, or one of his players. He is on the total opposite end of the spectrum from any coach the coaches that each of us named when it comes to straightforwardness and accountability, and i don't believe you can win at this level  without those things. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Derka/Goo Punch, please don’t use the word “accountability “ in association w/ UT Sports. There is no such thing ....ever.

What  we want and what Bellmont does is completely different.

Money and performance are disconnected.Optics and appearance mean everything. If we happen to land a coach that has what it takes , and performs well with all the advantages given, it will be a freak random accident, not some deliberate design...because we’re Texas!

• Like 1

Drew Mehringer showed that video to his WR group.....guess that explains some of our rotation choices. Epps must be the biggest cheerleader ever.

There’s certainly more than one way to get the job done. I was always a huge fan of Barnes and the quick hook. My dad and I used to get a kick out of watching him chew guys out. Not many people coach today’s player like that, including Rick. He used to sit impact players for long stretches for bonehead plays, he didn’t care if we lost. I’m disgusted at what guys get away with now.

I don’t remember many HCIW situations working.  It didn’t work for the KNights or Sutton’s, but both of those were nepotism.  

Does assistant coach leaving make it easier for new head coach to hire assistants?  After the crisis Coach B. Is still gonna be there, I think.   There may not be any competition, $.  Colleges will have reduced endowments, etc.  

Virginia Commonwealth University employed four different head basketball coaches between 2002-2015, and Texas hired the fourth best one to replace Rick Barnes. What a monumental fuck-up of a hire, that we are now five years removed from yet still suffering for. Fucking asinine from our athletic department. 

Edited by Goo Punch

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Wescott and Shaka must be BFFs or some shit because he's constantly slobbing all over Shaka's knob, legitimately the last person defending Shaka that isn't a troll. The run near the end of the season was impressive, but the season as a whole was squandered. It ended with a colossal dud as the 2nd worst team in the conference quickly jumped out to a massive lead and never looked back, in Austin no less.

The only reason Texas would've reached the NCAA tourney is because the vast majority of the bubble teams shit themselves down the stretch. Tech would've likely emerged victorious in the Big 12 tourney, if somehow Shaka managed to beat Tech again the KU game that followed would've amounted to a death sentence. A one and done in the NCAA tourney would've been the most realistic outcome, if anything Shaka has demonstrated an ineptitude to accomplish much of anything during March madness throughout his tenure at Texas.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chad said:

Wescott and Shaka must be BFFs or some shit because he's constantly slobbing all over Shaka's knob, legitimately the last person defending Shaka that isn't a troll. 

How sure are you that Wescunt is not a troll?

Stock market is really interesting today.  Expectation was the market would tank, because of unemployment numbers.  Market is about ready to close and the market is up over 1200 points!   I can see the question about shaka can become an economic measure.  I am looking for the Dow to cross 25000.  When that happens, the boosters should feel better about writing some checks.  

The market is going to rebound much faster than a lot of people expect, I think. 

2 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Stock market is really interesting today.  Expectation was the market would tank, because of unemployment numbers.  Market is about ready to close and the market is up over 1200 points!   I can see the question about shaka can become an economic measure.  I am looking for the Dow to cross 25000.  When that happens, the boosters should feel better about writing some checks.  

The market is going to rebound much faster than a lot of people expect, I think. 

Market tends to overshoot on each direction during crisis and recovery. I think this 3-day rally is too much too soon. There is a serious health crisis that's lingering and is about get much worse before getting better. I doubt dark days are over.

BIG loss of Revenue...

First Coronavirus Financial Ripple Effects Felt in NCAA With Revenue Distribution Slashed 

https://www.si.com/college/2020/03/26/ncaa-revenue-losses-march-madness-schools 

"The NCAA Board of Governors voted to allot $225 million to member schools, a 62.5% decrease from the expected $600 million. The shortfall is attributable to the cancellation of the NCAA’s biggest money maker, the men’s basketball tournament, plus all other canceled championships in winter and spring sports."

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said on a teleconference Thursday that the NCAA revenue distribution will be a decrease of about $14 million from what his league had expected.

Edited by LTtxfan

13 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Just watched the last few seconds of Texas beating Bielen’s West Virginia on a Paolino (sp?) buzzer beating shot from 2006’s Sweet 16i on CBS Sports. 

Here Yah go, Enjoy!!

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic