Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

There's a huge fucking difference in letting the women's coach contract run out and firing the men's coach right now.  There is no way CDC was going to fire Shaka during all of this Covid 19 stuff.  That's a $15-20 million bill that he would get crucified for right now by everyone other than die hard Longhorn basketball fans.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, txhorns said:

There's a huge fucking difference in letting the women's coach contract run out and firing the men's coach right now.  There is no way CDC was going to fire Shaka during all of this Covid 19 stuff.  That's a $15-20 million bill that he would get crucified for right now by everyone other than die hard Longhorn basketball fans.

I know.  Should have fired him last year, or the year before.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, txhorns said:

You take your logic and shove it up your ass

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I know.  Should have fired him last year, or the year before.  

Should have fired him mid--season THIS SEASON!

Then we scooped up Beilein as the head coach in waiting to analyze this year's team to get to know them, but not take over until the season had run its course.

"You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one...
"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Considering the 3 hires CDC has made thus far, I’m not going to doubt this guy’s ability to get Beard when the time is right.  Dude is a wizard at hiring already elite coaches 

Pressure on Shaka just went up Big Time!!  🤘 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Hmmm, that’s some size we could use? 

Nothing against Haarms, but you'll have some combination of Baker, Kai, Hepa, Brown*, & Hamm in the rotation next year, there's not really room. That's if Jericho doesn't come back, if he does then they'd not only need to push somebody out to find a scholarship but also fit Haarms into the rotation as well.

Personally, I'd rather they use the Jericho spot (if available) on a sophomore/junior transfer who can shoot and handle the ball a bit; it'll help in '21 when there are a lot more graduating players to replace. Alan Griffin or Tyrese Martin are the type of players I'm thinking of here.

33 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Nothing against Haarms, but you'll have some combination of Baker, Kai, Hepa, Brown*, & Hamm in the rotation next year, there's not really room. That's if Jericho doesn't come back, if he does then they'd not only need to push somebody out to find a scholarship but also fit Haarms into the rotation as well.

Personally, I'd rather they use the Jericho spot (if available) on a sophomore/junior transfer who can shoot and handle the ball a bit; it'll help in '21 when there are a lot more graduating players to replace. Alan Griffin or Tyrese Martin are the type of players I'm thinking of here.

Why is Sims leaving?

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

CDC’s women’s basketball hiring was a great move. Top coach and kept him from A&M. I feel better about what he will ultimately do regarding Smart after next season.

Yeah, he obviously hasn’t made a big 3 hire yet, but his hires in other sports have been very encouraging, and he certainly didn’t go cheap even during this recession. 

Yea i'm glad we have great women's hoops and softball coaches but give me a great football and basketball and baseball coach then i'll care a ton more about women's sports success. Last thing I want is to be going 7-5 in football, NIT in basketball, not making a regional in baseball and gloating we made the final 4 in women's hoops. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea i'm glad we have great women's hoops and softball coaches but give me a great football and basketball and baseball coach then i'll care a ton more about women's sports success. Last thing I want is to be going 7-5 in football, NIT in basketball, not making a regional in baseball and gloating we made the final 4 in women's hoops. 

Who do you gloat to that gives a fuck?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redneck Mutha said:

You could have given me 6 or 7 guesses and I don't think I would have picked kstate to have the 2nd best record this decade. 

I was legitimately surprised about that as well. I would've guessed Baylor or ISU.

The Athletic just released their way-too-early Top 25 for next season. Gonzaga is #1, Baylor is #2...and Texas is #18. They love us because we lose nobody, have seven players returning who scored 20 points in  a game last season, and they expect Greg Brown to be on campus. Hmmm, I wonder what could possibly derail such lofty expectations?

50 minutes ago, MaxHorn said:

The Athletic just released their way-too-early Top 25 for next season. Gonzaga is #1, Baylor is #2...and Texas is #18. They love us because we lose nobody, have seven players returning who scored 20 points in  a game last season, and they expect Greg Brown to be on campus. Hmmm, I wonder what could possibly derail such lofty expectations?

Shaka Smart Is The Most Amped Coach In The Country | The Shadow League

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

On paper it should be the best Texas team in about 12 years.

But you know we’ll finish middle of the pack in the Big 12 and be somewhere around the bubble.

This is not going to be better than the '10-'11 team. They were 21st nationally in offensive efficiency, shot nearly 38% from three, and turned the ball over less than 18% of possessions (28th nationally). Defensively they were even better, ranking 4th nationally in defensive efficiency. If a ref could count to five, they might have made a much deeper run in the tourney.

• Like 1

Yeah the 2010-2011 squad reached a level for a 17 or 18 game span of play that no other Texas team has ever been able to match.  Even more so than TJ's sophomore yr, or the 2006, or 2008 elite 8 teams, the 2011 team should've probably won a national championship. If the level of play they demonstrated took place in the last 3rd of the season rather than the middle 3rd of the season they definitely would've won the national championship. They started off conference play winning 10 of their first 11 games by double digits,  including an 11 point win at KU (which is still the only time that we have won at the Phog) in a game that saw our Horns go on a 32 to 10 or 12 run. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

If a ref could count to five, they might have made a much deeper run in the tourney.

Never understood what possessed Hamilton to call a time out in the first place. He got a rebound on the baseline with like 10 or 12 seconds left and immediately called timeout with us up 2 for no reason whatsoever. He could've done any number of things such as dribbled it up court until he was fouled, found J'Covan, got it to Corey Joseph who was right next to him on the rebound. That being said, something tells me that Barnes told them to call timeout on the rebound judging by the immediacy of Jordan's timeout upon getting the rebound. I'm curious whether anyone asked him this during the post game. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

This, this, and this. Forever this.

Either corrupt or incompetent and absolutely criminal.

This is probably my second-biggest Texas basketball what-if: what if they get past Arizona? They're probably at least in the E8 that year.

#1 is 'what if CJ Miles doesn't go pro out of high school'. That E8 team + a NBA wing probably plays Florida for a NC.

3 hours ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

This is probably my second-biggest Texas basketball what-if: what if they get past Arizona? They're probably at least in the E8 that year.

#1 is 'what if CJ Miles doesn't go pro out of high school'. That E8 team + a NBA wing probably plays Florida for a NC.

CJ would have been on the 2006 team, correct?

On 4/10/2020 at 3:38 PM, Bitterwhiteguy said:

#1 for me is if Chris Wright is able to play at Texas and guard Melo, Texas wins it all no question.

#1 for me is if PJ Tucker had come back for his senior year to play with Durant, Augustin and company. The team could have really used his experience as the reigning Big 12 POY. Aldridge would have been great too, but at least he was a high draft pick. PJ was barely drafted.

• Like 1

Here's a pretty major what-if that nobody ever talks about: What if the entire 2006 team didn't all decide to have their worst day ever against an LSU team that we would have beaten 9.5/10? Nobody ever talks about that game, but it's basically the hoops version of the Crabtree game in Lubbock and the NC game vs Bama in terms of just being an absolute gut-punch of a loss. I don't think we could've played any worse if we were trying to lose, and yet the game still went to OT. Let's check the box score:

c4914d992e43aa3ff33947a305228a65.jpg

PJ Tucker, LaMarcus Aldridge, AJ Abrams, Brad Buckman, and Kenton Paulino combined to shoot 15-55 from the field. What the fuck. How is that even possible? Texas had one of the best front courts in the country and was 10th nationally 2P FG, yet somehow went 11-40 from inside the arc. I still remember LA just continuing to shoot one 16-18 FT fade away after another, clanging each one in agonizing succession.

Also, we got beat by two guys. That LSU team was not anything special on the season, nor were they special on that day, save two guys- fucking Tyrus Thomas and Glen "Big Baby" Davis. Ugh. It's one thing if Steph Curry or JJ Redick shoots you out of the tournament, but it's another thing entirely when you get dommed in the Elite 8 by a guys who's essentially a tall decathlete, and his sidekick Rocksteady from the Ninja Turtles. These two jabronis couldn't replicate their success that day with 100 tries, and yet somehow their best day ever coincided with our worst day ever. I'm sick right now just thinking about it.

Texas would have been in its second Final Four in four seasons, and we would have been playing against a UCLA team that we were far superior to talent wise, and who would have really had no chance to stop our front court: PJ Tucker, LaMarcus Aldridge, and a senior Brad Buckman against Ryan Hollins, Cedric Bozeman, and a freshman Luc-Richard Mbah a Moute. I think we would have killed them, and been in the national title game against a pretty unbelievable Florida team that was crushing everything in its path after having been poor in SEC play. How amazing would have been. I need to see Texas win a title just to get over that year. We should have been playing for it all in 2006.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

the Myles Turner team when we returned everyone plus added Turner but were somehow much worse than the year before,

a team so disappointing that it got a long term University of Texas coach fired after a winning season, let that sink in

of course maybe Dodds was awake from his nap during the Butler game and noticed Turner barely got in the game

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 1

a team so disappointing that it got a long term University of Texas coach fired after a winning season, let that sink in
of course maybe Dodds was awake from his nap during the Butler game and noticed Turner barely got in the game

Looking back at how Barnes misused Turner, an obvious one-and-done phenom, is painful.

I looked at the roster, stats and minutes from the team. It looks like a lot of Scott Drew teams, with massive size and potential, but not great overall players. Jonathan Holmes being the closest thing to a complete player.

In retrospect, this is a team that needed to be in (competent) zone 75% of the time if they wanted Jonathan Holmes to play the wing and not as a stretch-four. You had too many key offensive players that were a liability in individual man and team man concepts.

Barnes had zero patience for unwilling or lost defenders. But a zone with Holmes-Turner-Ibeh protecting the interior would make teams one-dimensional. You dont get than in Man without elite team defense. Ibeh and Turner didnt have the experience at the time to be reliable options defending the pick and roll and being in position. And we needed Javon Felix out there, but he got beat too much even without a pick and roll. Zone would have allowed Barnes to keep the best offensive options on the floor for longer stretches.

But for that roster for Man to have worked, Connor Lammert struggling with his shot and pre-fit Cameron Ridley would need to be benched for Turner, Ibeh, and Holmes as your primary post players (setting Turner as the 5 for elbow looks rather than 3’s). Barnes would need to commit to accepting mistakes and pushing pace. Then deploy a 3-guard lineup of Isaiah Taylor, Felix, Holland, Yancy, Croaker and Jordan Barnett. Give them orders to get in that paint and punish teams off the PNR. Abandon pick and pop. Our big men were not hitting those with any regularity that year. Maybe mix in hi-los, Holmes was a good passer and Ibeh/Turner/Ridley were men among boys.

I think a criticism that Shaka and Barnes both share is their inability to optimize rotations. Barnes yearns for experienced defenders with good IQ. Shaka wants athleticism. End result: They both clog their lineups with non-shooters. In Big12 play, that’s like bringing a knife to a gunfight.
  • Like 4

On 4/13/2020 at 12:30 PM, Eskimohorn said:

Looking back at how Barnes misused Turner, an obvious one-and-done phenom, is painful.

I looked at the roster, stats and minutes from the team. It looks like a lot of Scott Drew teams, with massive size and potential, but not great overall players. Jonathan Holmes being the closest thing to a complete player.

In retrospect, this is a team that needed to be in (competent) zone 75% of the time if they wanted Jonathan Holmes to play the wing and not as a stretch-four. You had too many key offensive players that were a liability in individual man and team man concepts.

Barnes had zero patience for unwilling or lost defenders. But a zone with Holmes-Turner-Ibeh protecting the interior would make teams one-dimensional. You dont get than in Man without elite team defense. Ibeh and Turner didnt have the experience at the time to be reliable options defending the pick and roll and being in position. And we needed Javon Felix out there, but he got beat too much even without a pick and roll. Zone would have allowed Barnes to keep the best offensive options on the floor for longer stretches.

But for that roster for Man to have worked, Connor Lammert struggling with his shot and pre-fit Cameron Ridley would need to be benched for Turner, Ibeh, and Holmes as your primary post players (setting Turner as the 5 for elbow looks rather than 3’s). Barnes would need to commit to accepting mistakes and pushing pace. Then deploy a 3-guard lineup of Isaiah Taylor, Felix, Holland, Yancy, Croaker and Jordan Barnett. Give them orders to get in that paint and punish teams off the PNR. Abandon pick and pop. Our big men were not hitting those with any regularity that year. Maybe mix in hi-los, Holmes was a good passer and Ibeh/Turner/Ridley were men among boys.

I think a criticism that Shaka and Barnes both share is their inability to optimize rotations. Barnes yearns for experienced defenders with good IQ. Shaka wants athleticism. End result: They both clog their lineups with non-shooters. In Big12 play, that’s like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Yeah, I remember during the season being pissed about Turner’s usage and that only increased since seeing his skills in the league. 

On 4/13/2020 at 12:30 PM, Eskimohorn said:

There were reasons for Turner's unusual deployment. The short version is that the coaching staff didn't trust him to run the system because (from their view) he would go rogue whenever he felt like it, but because he was clearly the best player on the team they only had limited ways to try to rein him in. Him rarely starting was one of the methods they deployed. In short, the relationship was fraught throughout his brief Texas tenure.

On 4/16/2020 at 2:16 PM, Bitterwhiteguy said:

There were reasons for Turner's unusual deployment. The short version is that the coaching staff didn't trust him to run the system because (from their view) he would go rogue whenever he felt like it, but because he was clearly the best player on the team they only had limited ways to try to rein him in. Him rarely starting was one of the methods they deployed. In short, the relationship was fraught throughout his brief Texas tenure.

I'm not saying the inmates should run the asylum, but this confirms what I suspected and blamed on Barnes. Without having read that summary of Turner's relationship with the coaches, I still would have guessed at it, because the way Barnes used him seemed like a cutting-off-nose-to-spite-face move all the way, in terms of starts, minutes played, and how Turner was actually used in the offense. 

• Like 1

If Shaka can't reach the Sweet 16 with the roster he's going to have at his disposal for the 2020-2021 season he should just go ahead and retire to the ranks of intramural sports.  There is no excuse for failure with a seasoned team adding an explosive player like Greg Brown III into the mix.

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic