Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

9 hours ago, toronto said:

If Shaka brings the team back to the Big Dance after 2 years removed, that can only be seen objectively as progress. He would be very deserving of a long-term extension.

I’m tempted to pos rep this because it’s great sarcasm? 

I’ll hold on a bit

Serious question:

Would anyone's opinion change even a little bit if Texas made the Sweet 16 or higher next season, assuming the tourney is played?

Having watched Shaka's "progress" from the outside, I would have to assume no, unless something crazy happens and Texas makes the Final 4 or beyond.

7 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Serious question:

Would anyone's opinion change even a little bit if Texas made the Sweet 16 or higher next season, assuming the tourney is played?

Having watched Shaka's "progress" from the outside, I would have to assume no, unless something crazy happens and Texas makes the Final 4 or beyond.

If Shaka somehow has a decent season at Texas next year, his agent would be smart to find Shaka a new HC job elsewhere...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

Serious question:

Shaka is who he is. His 11 year body of work at VCU and Texas is thoroughly underwhelming, particularly when compared to his coaching counterparts at those schools- Penders, Barnes, Capel, Grant, and Wade. The only coach from that list who *might* not be a superior HC to Shaka is Tom Penders, but there's a real argument to be made there considering all of the talent that Shaka has had at both schools. He is not a Big XII caliber coach, and he's probably not even on the level of any school/conference that gets regular tourney bids. My hope is that this team's talent level is so high that we make a deep tourney run and some idiot AD is foolish enough to take him off our hands for us. Otherwise it'll probably be at least 2-3 more years of this clown coaching at Texas. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

My hope is that this team's talent level is so high that we make a deep tourney run and some idiot AD is foolish enough to take him off our hands for us.

This is the best case scenario.

Edited by Chad
  • Like 1

As great as GB III is- and he is a supremely talented player- I wonder if Shaka actually has any idea how to use him. After Brown committed to Texas I started thinking about Shaka's use of wing players, and as far as I can tell he doesn't use them- ever.

2016- Had Jordan Barnett, didn't want him

2017- No wing players 

2018- No wing players 

2019- Gerald Liddell

2020- Gerald Liddell 

I also went and looked up his last four teams at VCU, and not a single one of them had a true wing player on the roster. Gerald Liddell appears to be the first and only wing player Shaka has employed over at least the last 9 years, and that is just so strange to me. Not that I thought that Shaka had anything of value to offer GB III anyway, but still...very weird. 

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

The 2021-2022 roster has a chance to be pretty horrid, depending on who is still around. He'd be wise to leave before then. 

That is a fact. I would pay good money to be able to find out exactly how seriously CDC is taking this, i.e. is he actively acknowledging this truth and trying to make plans for it, with or without Shaka? You can see it coming a mile away, and there's a distinct possibility that Shaka could be gone that year one way or the other. I've actually decided to actively try to enjoy this season as much as I can, because the year after that could be bleak if Shaka is still in charge. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Serious question:

No. Lining up the stars to get to the sweet 16 after not winning a tournament game in the first 5 years and sucking shit through a straw in 3 of them?  Nah. No way. 

12 hours ago, Red Five said:

The 2021-2022 roster has a chance to be pretty horrid, depending on who is still around. He'd be wise to leave before then. 

The one time transfer rule should be in effect by then. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw a list of the top 200 programs over the last five years. Despite being top 10 nationally in recruiting during that time, Texas came in at #69. Had our non conference schedule actually had a pulse last year we no doubt would have been even loser. Notable programs that are ranked ahead of Texas:

Texas A&M, Loyola (IL), Rhode Island, Montana, Winthrop, Tennessee, Murray State, Liberty, Yale, UC-Irvine, Northern Kentucky, SDSU, Belmont, NC Central, Iona, Creighton, VCU, Dayton, East Tennessee State, SFA, Buffalo, Providence, S Dakota State, Nevada, Seton Hall, and Cougar High. 

Way to go Shaka!!!

• Like 1

Just missing the tournament sounds about right for the Shaka era.  Even worse, the majority of teams you listed ahead of Texas have to win the conference tournament to even make the Dance and don't even waste their time dreaming about the level of recruit Texas pulled in regularly during that span.  Simply no excuse for such a poor showing.

12 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Just saw a list of the top 200 programs over the last five years. Despite being top 10 nationally in recruiting during that time, Texas came in at #69. Had our non conference schedule actually had a pulse last year we no doubt would have been even loser. Notable programs that are ranked ahead of Texas:

Texas A&M, Loyola (IL), Rhode Island, Montana, Winthrop, Tennessee, Murray State, Liberty, Yale, UC-Irvine, Northern Kentucky, SDSU, Belmont, NC Central, Iona, Creighton, VCU, Dayton, East Tennessee State, SFA, Buffalo, Providence, S Dakota State, Nevada, Seton Hall, and Cougar High. 

Way to go Shaka!!!

Apparently... SHAKA IS OUR STANDARD.

#sad

• 3 months later...

Rick has been killing it in recruiting, and unfortunately for all of us, while the same he's been largely true of Shaka during his time here, it looks like Shaka's inability time sign any impact players for 2021 (hoping/assuming bww eventually get Collins) will have Texas in really, really bad shape one year from now. a total rebuild for a program that hasn't even built anything in the first place. ugh i hate that we hired this fraud and then extended the man for having one good regular season with Rick Barnes' players. 

• Hook 'Em 2

And speaking of Barnes and his players, i've been watching a bunch of old UT games on the LHN, and the difference in competency and confidence in Barnes players vs Shaka players is striking. I mean it is drastic, and sort of a shock to the system when you see that the likes of Lexi Wangmene were so much more confident/capable/ready to perform than pretty much any player Shaka has brought to Texas.

I used to watch Wangmene and go, "Jesus Christ, this guy can't even catch the ball, how is a he getting PT on this team?" Then i go back and watch him playing against UNC at Jerryworld and the dude is primed and ready for action. all of our players were this way, and this goes back to the beginning of the Barnes era. hell, Gary Johnson looks like an All American compared to all of Shaka's guys. If you get a chance to catch any of these old games on the LHN, give them a look- it is undeniable how out-of-his-league Shaka is as a coach when you go back and watch how even our shitty players played with a direct purpose, with confidence, with speed, and with aggression. Feels like a team of five of Barnes's scrubs would run the Shaka All Stars out of the gym based on the confidence/aggression/acumen alone. We have killed our basketball program with one bad hire, and it will not revived until this child of a coach is gone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Donovan coaching this year's team (obviously not happening) could be epic. We are built for a great regular season and deep tourney run- our combination of talent, depth, athleticism, and experience (particularly at the guard spots) is basically the blueprint for a Sweet 16/Elite 8 team; that is, if we had a living, breathing coach running the program. When this year ends and 85% of our minutes/points/rebounds/assists all leave, the roster and outlook will be bleak. If we don't have Billy Donovan there (we won't), it is going to be bad fucking times man. ONE TIME CDC! ONE TIME!!

• Hook 'Em 1

Bad timing on Donovan. He would cost a lot, which I have no doubt we would pay, but no way we eat Shaka's buyout AND assume the higher salary with all of the financial stress the AD is under due to Covid. But I agree with DD, he would slay with this roster. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Following the end of the 2016-17 season, Hatt served as the point person in a series of upgrades inside Denton A. Cooley Pavilion designed to enhance the overall student-athlete experience. New basketball floors, wall graphics and scoreboards were installed along with a complete remodel of the locker room and player lounge area."

"The 33-year-old Hatt served as a graduate assistant at VCU under Shaka Smart during the 2014-15 season."

"Following graduation, Hatt served two years (2008-10) as a content editor at ESPN in Bristol, Conn., where he worked on shows such as “SportsCenter” and a variety of other specialty shows across various network platforms. He then spent one year (2010-11) as a content contributor for “New England Recruiting Report” and an event manager for Hoop Mountain, a national leader in basketball tournaments, camps and showcases. Hatt assisted NERR founding editor Adam Finkelstein in prospect evaluation, event coverage and features and supplied relevant content for Finkelstein’s web site and national scouting service."

"Prior to joining Smart’s staff at VCU, Hatt served as head boys’ basketball coach, assistant dean of students, academic advisor and dorm parent for one year (2013-14) at Vermont Academy in Saxtons River, Vt.. He also spent one season (2012-13) as the assistant boys’ basketball coach at Vermont Academy."

imagine our head football coach hiring a coordinator with a resume like that ^^^^ 

fuck Shaka Smart 

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic