Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

I'm not arguing for this guy, he sounds like a shitty hire. Since he was hired from within he probably came cheap. Finding the coin to hire a sexy name for assistant basketball coach probably isn't high on CDC's priorities. Especially if CDC knows that Shaka isnt the answer. 20-21 has the potential to be a throwaway season for a lot of teams. 

On 9/8/2020 at 2:18 PM, shadow_operative said:

Rick has been killing it in recruiting, and unfortunately for all of us, while the same he's been largely true of Shaka during his time here, it looks like Shaka's inability time sign any impact players for 2021 (hoping/assuming bww eventually get Collins) will have Texas in really, really bad shape one year from now. a total rebuild for a program that hasn't even built anything in the first place. ugh i hate that we hired this fraud and then extended the man for having one good regular season with Rick Barnes' players. 

Rick's problem was never recruiting talent at the end of his tenure, it was always the inability to keep players from transferring. 

Julien Lewis, Sheldon McClellan, Sterling Gibbs, Jaylen Bond, Ioannis Papapetrou.

I don't think Shaka was the answer, but I sure as shit was tired of the toxic environment that was present at the end of Barnes time here.

Outside of Derka, would anyone here welcome Barnes back after going 105-64 at Tennessee?

35 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Rick's problem was never recruiting talent at the end of his tenure, it was that he stopped winning and become an even bigger asshole as his teams got worse.

FIFY

He could get away with being a total fucking asshole when he was winning, not so much when he stopped winning.

47 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Rick's problem was never recruiting talent at the end of his tenure, it was always the inability to keep players from transferring. 

Julien Lewis, Sheldon McClellan, Sterling Gibbs, Jaylen Bond, Ioannis Papapetrou.

I don't think Shaka was the answer, but I sure as shit was tired of the toxic environment that was present at the end of Barnes time here.

Outside of Derka, would anyone here welcome Barnes back after going 105-64 at Tennessee?

Yes

I get that watching those old Texas teams is an awesome display of preparation, defense, talent and development.

The problem is that if you watch VCU from Shaka’a tenure there and especially the deep tourney runs, they looked great too. He just completely changed his identity once he got here. I will never understand it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, MoJames said:

i've never argued that the environment hadn't become toxic or that Barnes didn't need to go. it's just silly though for anyone to act like they don't remember what all was said about Barnes as both a person and particularly as a coach during his final years here; to act as if there's no crow to be eaten. it's just silly. that's all. 

2 hours ago, destroya said:

FIFY

He could get away with being a total fucking asshole when he was winning, not so much when he stopped winning.

of course those two things went hand in hand; you recruit mentally weak players who can't handle being yelled at and you're going to stop winning. not absolving him of any blame- they're his players, and it's his program- just saying that Texas didn't stop winning because Barnes forgot how to coach. 

looking back at it, if Barnes hadn't coached Myles Turner as if he was going to be a four year player then Rick probably never would have been fired. if I had to narrow it down to one thing anyway, then that would probably be it. Turner's team (and his personal play) should have been so much better, but by that point Barnes was too far gone in his anger/dissatisfaction to change, hence the need for a change of scenery. 

looking back at it, if Barnes hadn't coached Myles Turner as if he was going to be a four year player then Rick probably never would have been fired. if I had to narrow it down to one thing anyway, then that would probably be it. Turner's team (and his personal play) should have been so much better, but by that point Barnes was too far gone in his anger/dissatisfaction to change, hence the need for a change of scenery. 

Do you and others really not understand why Barnes was fired? This post makes it seem like you don’t know what really happened. You do know, right?

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Do you and others really not understand why Barnes was fired? This post makes it seem like you don’t know what really happened. You do know, right?

Steve Patterson told him to fire his assistants and he refused to do so. if you're talking about him being fired for something else then no i don't know what you're talking about. 

15 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

of course those two things went hand in hand; you recruit mentally weak players who can't handle being yelled at and you're going to stop winning. not absolving him of any blame- they're his players, and it's his program- just saying that Texas didn't stop winning because Barnes forgot how to coach. 

What I am saying is he became a bigger asshole when he stopped winning. When the losing started he said he needed to ‘coach the players harder’ what that looked like was him being an even bigger asshole. 

Steve Patterson told him to fire his assistants and he refused to do so. if you're talking about him being fired for something else then no i don't know what you're talking about. 

I’ll use the term allegedly because there is no definitive information out there publicly, but he was fired because allegedly he was an out of control alcoholic. He was a phenomenal coach for years on the verge of a national al championship but his drinking got out of control and led to his dismissal. All of this is allegedly. If you google
YouTube, in his interviews he references not living his life right. That’s why he failed in his last years here, not because he was a bad coach. He’s a phenomenal coach who struggled with his own demons, allegedly.

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’ll use the term allegedly because there is no definitive information out there publicly, but he was fired because allegedly he was an out of control alcoholic. He was a phenomenal coach for years on the verge of a national al championship but his drinking got out of control and led to his dismissal. All of this is allegedly. If you google
YouTube, in his interviews he references not living his life right. That’s why he failed in his last years here, not because he was a bad coach. He’s a phenomenal coach who struggled with his own demons, allegedly.

i always assumed that the "not living his life right" stuff was in reference to stepping out on his wife. i also thought i'd heard that he'd quit drinking once he became born-again or whatever, but i don't know for sure. 

Edited by shadow_operative

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you can if you want to, but that would likely include not clicking on/participating in this thread. no hate, just saying. if you don't want to follow what's going on with Barnes and Tennessee then this is the wrong thread to come to.

Maybe somebody should start a Rick Barnes thread.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Maybe somebody should start a Rick Barnes thread.

Yeah... I'm all for the discussion on this thread to be focused towards "Fire Shaka Smart".

All that other stuff on the current tennessee men's basketball coach can be handled on that other thread... 😁

i don't know if it's diet, sleep habits, practice/workout regimens, lack of oversight, or just plain bad luck, but god damn Shaka's players get hurt at an alarmingly high rate.

27e3a77a5d8c89fd33672f6e57f0685b.jpg

it feels like we've had more injuries and surgeries in five years under Shaka than we did the previous 20 years combined. jesus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, we'd just hear the word "Fundamentally" even more often, and in even stranger contexts. 

Gotta be weird for CDC, thinking about jettisoning these two guys as you look at your office at the two new 9-figure toys you're building for them.  "Uh...would you like to come back for the ribbon-cutting?"  

On 10/11/2020 at 3:58 PM, Lobo said:

Gotta be weird for CDC, thinking about jettisoning these two guys as you look at your office at the two new 9-figure toys you're building for them.  "Uh...would you like to come back for the ribbon-cutting?"  

he ought to be worried about his own ass

we can win all the softball national championships he wants to, but if football and to a much lesser degree men's basketball can't stop being embarrassingly inept, it will end up on his desk at some point 

• 4 weeks later...

with GM out at WSU there are rumors they are going after Mhad Tata.......can Texas pull off the Texas Tech where they hire a guy away from another program before he coaches a game there?

or could Texas pull him away from WSU after he is there for a year if he has a good year?

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Only because he failed to properly develop him over the last four years.

Statistically, he's basically the exact same player he was as a freshman. Slightly higher scoring average, slightly lower assist average. Basically hasn't developed at all.

image.thumb.png.d22659d98b5aa293b454e42a83bfe480.png

The most damning part of his development is consistency. Take a look at his career game log and note the variance in pts and assists from game to game. Some nights he scores, some nights he dishes, some nights he does neither. Its been that way since he stepped on campus 3 years ago. The last 10 games of last year, he averaged under 2 assists per game, and he's a PG? 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/matt-coleman-3/gamelog/

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic