Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

16 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

New arena opens fall of 22? I thought this fall.

We have one more year in the drum.

Itd be hard to cut ties with Shaka this year. Covid year, snow storms, money, etc. It makes more sense to let him fall flat on his face next year and axe him then. Then we can break in a new coach and stadium together 

On 2/24/2021 at 7:17 PM, Machinator said:

I don't see how a regular season win makes or breaks him. It's going to come down to the tournament.

I agree with this-- unless it went Challenger and we finished the COVID-truncated version of 8-20, the regular season wasn't going to get him fired. If we lose out and finish 14-12, that obviously should be enough but I'm not optimistic. 

But I don't think the tournament can break him, either. I think it can only make him. We won't be a high enough seed that a first-round loss can be considered (by itself) a disaster. He can certainly reboot the "Shaka Smart is a tournament genius!" narrative if we make a deep run, though. If we get hot (we have the talent) and make the Elite Eight, we'll get a lot of "see this is why we hired him!" garbage until about 12-15 games into next season when it becomes obvious he's going to be let go. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, dilloncp98 said:

I am fed up with Shaka and have been for years. I thought this might be the year where talent and experience outshine bad coaching, silly me.

Our best roster under Shaka is still getting swept by Tech in a down year for them. Coaching is the difference.

Unfortunately, I don’t see us firing Shaka yet. I feel like we roll into next year with Shaka at the helm and a roster much worse than this year. We’ll cut ties in 2022 after another underwhelming season to drum up some hype with a new coach before opening Moody center.

Agreed, he’s staying through next season. I still think this is a Sweet 16 year, March is about matchups and Texas will be a handful for anyone not named Baylor or Gonzaga.

21 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Agreed, he’s staying through next season. I still think this is a Sweet 16 year, March is about matchups and Texas will be a handful for anyone not named Baylor or Gonzaga.

That cuts both ways. I can easily see him losing a 4/13 or 5/12 matchup.

Assuming Chris Beard is a no, I'd love to see us give Royal Ivey a look for the job. Pairing him with a veteran former head coach like Michigan has done with Howard and Martelli is intriguing after watching what has happened in Ann Arbor this season. No idea if he's ready, but I definitely think it should be explored when the time comes.

Point is, there is more than talent involved and we’ve seen “ all this talent...all these resources” for years in the big 3 programs. It’s all coaching? Talent overrated/underdeveloped? Not the “right”talent?
Just oversimplification to say add wonder boy Coach XXX=natty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, SunUvAbitchMarcos said:

Giving up your spot?

The roster starts a lottery/ first round pick, 3 talented upperclassmen guards, and another big who will play professionally somewhere. And brings another first round / lottery pick off the bench. You are a fucking moron.

• Hook 'Em 2

If kenpom has us at 25, how do we get higher than a 6 seed?

I think we finish 5 and 5 last 10.  The remaining question for me is what place do we land in the conference?  Sixth or lower and Shakas agent will have a tough time getting that all important extension.  Let’s say team comes together, gets lucky with matchups and goes to sweet sixteen.  There Shaka gets exposed, but we lose by less than 10.  This scenario has us finishing 6  in conference.  

Now, you’re cdc in negotiations with Shaka agent.  Agent wants 2 year extension, makes his case, seems serious, has lots of facts, a solid presentation.  

Pretend baseball coach is having a tough season. It’s May or June. 

What do u do?  Do u have the balls to say no thanks, no extension.  No extension next year unless team finishes 3rd or better in conference, or something like that?  

Remember, cdc did not come across as a genius the way the Sark hiring went down.  The last thing cdc wants in 2021 is another coaching search in the big 3 sports.  

I think there is greater than 30% chance cdc caves, and agrees to a one year extension.  So yet again Shaka is saved by something that has absolutely nothing to do with his coaching ability.  The uncertainty of the new football coach and the fragility of the baseball situation impact Shaka to a degree possibly unheard of before.  

3 hours ago, SunUvAbitchMarcos said:

Point is, there is more than talent involved and we’ve seen “ all this talent...all these resources” for years in the big 3 programs. It’s all coaching? Talent overrated/underdeveloped? Not the “right”talent?
Just oversimplification to say add wonder boy Coach XXX=natty

i don't know what compelled you to suddenly start posting in this forum, but you should stop.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Any team who can be within 7 points with five minutes left will be a handful for Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, SunUvAbitchMarcos said:

Time will tell. If this roster is uber talented, they should be able to overcome poor coaching

riiiight. buncha kids who've been playing AAU ball their entire lives should have the seasoning, discipline, and skill to recognize and then overcome incompetent coaching. man do you know a lot about college basketball! 

3 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

If kenpom has us at 25, how do we get higher than a 6 seed?

I think we finish 5 and 5 last 10.  The remaining question for me is what place do we land in the conference?  Sixth or lower and Shakas agent will have a tough time getting that all important extension.  Let’s say team comes together, gets lucky with matchups and goes to sweet sixteen.  There Shaka gets exposed, but we lose by less than 10.  This scenario has us finishing 6  in conference.  

Now, you’re cdc in negotiations with Shaka agent.  Agent wants 2 year extension, makes his case, seems serious, has lots of facts, a solid presentation.  

Pretend baseball coach is having a tough season. It’s May or June. 

What do u do?  Do u have the balls to say no thanks, no extension.  No extension next year unless team finishes 3rd or better in conference, or something like that?  

Remember, cdc did not come across as a genius the way the Sark hiring went down.  The last thing cdc wants in 2021 is another coaching search in the big 3 sports.  

I think there is greater than 30% chance cdc caves, and agrees to a one year extension.  So yet again Shaka is saved by something that has absolutely nothing to do with his coaching ability.  The uncertainty of the new football coach and the fragility of the baseball situation impact Shaka to a degree possibly unheard of before.  

If CDC signs Shaka to an extension I will hunt you down and kill you for speaking this into existence. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I just can’t believe Shaka will be here another year. Especially if he doesn’t make it past the first or second round of the NCAA tournament. If CDC can fire Herman after the Alamo win because he didn’t think the program was headed in the right direction, he will for sure think the same thing after this year. Shaka will need to go deep in the tournament, in my uneducated opinion. Like Elite 8, maybe 16. I don’t think they’ll have Baylor Scott Drew patience. Of course, I know nothing about what I’m talking about. 

Edited by Brandywine

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

Shaka has 2 years on his deal remaining. CDC extending him after this season or even listening to an extension pitch would be mind-numbingly stupid. 

Look at my scenario.  This only happens if we make it to the 2nd weekend.  People have short memories.  Nobody’s gonna remember mismanaged games etc.  The agent will most likely compare contracts, and show how many years Shakas sweet 16 peers have left on their contracts, and talk about how recruiting is tougher when players don’t know for sure coach will last 4  years, etc. 

cdc will listen.  To me this compares favorably to the Georgia football win.  Cdc will learn from past mistake or not. 

17 hours ago, Brandywine said:

I just can’t believe Shaka will be here another year. Especially if he doesn’t make it past the first or second round of the NCAA tournament. If CDC can fire Herman after the Alamo win because he didn’t think the program was headed in the right direction, he will for sure think the same thing after this year. Shaka will need to go deep in the tournament, in my uneducated opinion. Like Elite 8, maybe 16. I don’t think they’ll have Baylor Scott Drew patience. Of course, I know nothing about what I’m talking about. 

CDC did not make that decision.  

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

and talk about how recruiting is tougher when players don’t know for sure coach will last 4  years, etc. 

This matters way less in basketball. Like, almost not at all. And I think you're overestimating how much the Texas AD actually prioritizes basketball. Shaka and his agent aren't scaring the higher ups into adding more years to a terrible contract because recruits might get scared. As if recruiting has been or ever will be our issue. 

35 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

This only happens if we make it to the 2nd weekend.  People have short memories.

Short enough to forget about 5 years of dogshit because we made the sweet sixteen? I know it isn't apples to apples but Herman just got fired for putting basically a top 16 product on the field. 

38 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

To me this compares favorably to the Georgia football win.

Except Shaka has already been extended. We're talking about after year 6 - not after year 3. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This matters way less in basketball. Like, almost not at all. And I think you're overestimating how much the Texas AD actually prioritizes basketball. Shaka and his agent aren't scaring the higher ups into adding more years to a terrible contract because recruits might get scared. As if recruiting has been or ever will be our issue. 

Short enough to forget about 5 years of dogshit because we made the sweet sixteen? I know it isn't apples to apples but Herman just got fired for putting basically a top 16 product on the field. 

Except Shaka has already been extended. We're talking about after year 6 - not after year 3. 

If you want to extend him (providing you aren't firing him which is obviously my choice) then fine- no problem- toss him another 2 year extension.  The buy out better not increase one fucking dollar though. As long as the buyout isn't going up an extension is just window dressing meaning almost next to nothing.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Machinator said:

Shaka has two years left on his contract. His agent won't have much leverage to push for an extension, especially if they don't make it at least to the second weekend of tournament.

Shaka might be back for 1 more year. After next year Shaka's gone.

Gotta have a new coach when TEXAS starts playing in Moody

we have more talent and experience than every team in the conference save Baylor, and yet we're middle of the pack in just about everything:

95670528-D361-468C-B1F9-8027CF7DF86A.jpeg

BUT WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THAT COMING?!?!?!

edit: our AdjD on January 6th was 87.9. to see it at 101.3 on March 1st for conference games is ridiculous. 

Edited by shadow_operative

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Shaka might be back for 1 more year. After next year Shaka's gone.

Gotta have a new coach when TEXAS starts playing in Moody

We gotta invite him back to hang that 2019 NIT CHAMPS banner though. Texas is still the reigning #69 after all!

• Haha 1

I agree with the poster who said a deep run in the tournament would be like the Georgia win. There is just too much below standard performance in the prior years and this year sort of turned into meh after a promising start. The fight between our guards during a game was the final nail for me. Still want us to make a deep run though, of course. Hook'em.

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic