Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

13 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Do you think Shaka would do worse at ISU, K-State, TCU and Oklahoma than their respective coaches?

Lol Shaka has done worse than Oklahoma almost every season and he’s at the better school. Bruce Weber has had KSU markedly better than us in 3 out of Shaka’s 6 seasons and tied for 1st in the Big 12. Shaka’s never even sniffed that, and he did that at Kansas fucking State.

So You’ve shown  that Shaka is better than the two worst coaches in the Big 12, which means absolutely nothing. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Do you think Shaka would do worse at ISU, K-State, TCU and Oklahoma than their respective coaches?

I think Prohm is the worst coach in the Big 12, so yes to that.

Weber is a superior tactical coach but his recruiting/roster management is suspect (even accounting for inferior resources and recruiting base). Despite that, he's taken Kansas State to the tourney 5/8 times (excluding the incomplete 2020 season), has won a share of a Big 12 regular season title, and has an (admittedly fluky) Elite Eight run.

Dixon might be worse than Shaka. That said, he inherited a program that played in a high school gym and was in the shitter, and has gone 5-5 against Texas thus far in his tenure.

Kruger is easily the better coach and has done better at a program with less upside than Texas.

To reframe the discussion:

We should strive to hire a guy who is the best head coach in the Big 12.

We should be very happy if he's the second-best coach.

If he's third- or fourth-best, with our resources, we can achieve success commensurate with the majority of fan expectations.

Shaka is at best the seventh-best head coach in this conference.

• Hook 'Em 2

Having said all that, here's some perspective. The Big 12 has: two Hall of Fame coaches, one of the best young coaches in the country, a slimy git who has nevertheless become a great coach, and a guy who's taken four different programs to a Sweet Sixteen and two to a Final Four. This is a legitimately great conference for basketball coaches.

4 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

He posts like a political campaign chairman incessantly trying to bludgeon everyone with a singular message. 

i'm just responding to what one Shaka Stan incessantly says. he throws a bunch of crap out there with nothing to back it up other than personal sentiment, and i respond to it. that's what this forum is here for. did i go too far? yeah, probably. i was drunk, angry, and tired of his crap. but don't act like i just brought up my own posts out of nowhere. 

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

What was his shaggy handle?  

NEWherebutA&M. pretty sure at one point he also signed up here under that handle and then made like one post, all for plausible deniability. so weird how many posters saw this new site as a chance to escape their posting past.

Edited by shadow_operative

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lol Shaka has done worse than Oklahoma almost every season and he’s at the better school.

I guess. OU is historically a better program than Texas (since like, 1980 at least). Not sure if it's easier to win there or not but I'd think it's pretty close to a wash.

Edited by ztejas

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I guess. OU is historically a better program than Texas (since like, 1980 at least). Not sure if it's easier to win there or not but I'd think it's pretty close to a wash.

Texas has been >>>> OU since TJ. That said, we continue to move further and further away from TJ, KD, and the success we had in tha aughts. OU still hasn't ever caught or surpassed us since then. they're a football powerhouse who no major HS hoops recruit dreams of playing for; an afterthought. we're a football has-been who is still seen as a destination school for top hoops recruits all over the country. there's no question which program is bigger/has more cache.

as for HE/NE's idea that i "ruin this board" by responding to his incessant championing of Shaka Smart with stats and facts, well, i don't know what to tell you. you keep coming here every single day insisting that everyone else here but you is wrong about Shaka, and eventually i'm going to take the time to respond. if that's your definition of "ruining the board" then find a new board. 

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Texas has been >>>> since TJ. That said, we continue to move further and further away from TJ, KD, and the success we had in tha aughts. OU still hasn't ever caught or surpassed us since then. they're a football powerhouse who no major HS hoops recruit dreams of playing for; an afterthought. we're a football has-been who is still seen as a destination school for top hoops recruits all over the country. there's no question which program is bigger/has more cache.

Texas definitely gets better players. Maybe that 2016 Final Four is coloring their program a bit better than it actually is for me. And I guess I forgot they got absolutely abused by Nova that year so they weren't really a contender. 

It should be easier to win at Texas - it just hasn't been since Shaka got here. 

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Texas has been >>>> OU since TJ. That said, we continue to move further and further away from TJ, KD, and the success we had in tha aughts. OU still hasn't ever caught or surpassed us since then. they're a football powerhouse who no major HS hoops recruit dreams of playing for; an afterthought. we're a football has-been who is still seen as a destination school for top hoops recruits all over the country. there's no question which program is bigger/has more cache.

They've been a #1 seed at least twice in recent memory (Hield and Griffin teams). I'm not sure how you arrive at Texas has been >>>> OU since TJ. Especially because they were a #1 seed during the TJ years as well. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

They've been a #1 seed at least twice in recent memory (Hield and Griffin teams). I'm not sure how you arrive at Texas has been >>>> OU since TJ.

They've only had 3 guys drafted since Blake and one of those guys was the 54th pick and never did anything. Granted, both Blake and Trae are better than any Texas player since KD.

i mean what do you think determines which program is "bigger". UCONN is a hoops blue blood with more skins on the wall in the last 20-25 years than all programs save one or two. is UCONN considered a top 3 hoops destination program? nope. because getting a couple #1 seeds, or in this case winning four national titles, isn't what determines how "big" your program is. KU, Kentucky, Sparty, UNC, Duke, Gonzaga, and more schools are still "bigger" programs than UCONN.

NEWherebutA&M. pretty sure at one point he also signed up here under that handle and then made like one post, all for plausible deniability. so weird how many posters saw this new site as a chance to escape their posting past.

Wrong. And also rich that you criticize people for using a new handle.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i mean what do you think determines which program is "bigger". UCONN is a hoops blue blood with more skins on the wall in the last 20-25 years than all programs save one or two. is UCONN considered a top 3 hoops destination program? nope. because getting a couple #1 seeds, or in this case winning four national titles, isn't what determines how "big" your program is. KU, Kentucky, Sparty, UNC, Duke, Gonzaga, and more schools are still "bigger" programs than UCONN.

Burt used the term better school. Not bigger program. OU has absolutely been better at basketball than Texas the past 10ish years. Before the aughts they were better as well. 

Granted, his point was tied to what a coach should be expected to do, and I'd agree that it should be easier to win at Texas because the caliber of players we have gotten has been in a different tier than OU for at least 15 years now. 

FWIW - Derka, I tried to PM you my old handle, but you can't receive messages. Oh well.  Main reason for new handle is that too many people in my real life knew it, which was problematic at times.

I still don't understand how I'm a Shaka Stan - and find it so on brand that you would try to label me as such.  I state repeatedly that he isn't good enough for Texas and should be fired. I state that he is mediocre to bad at everything but recruiting.  I state that he is in the bottom half of coaches in the Big-12.  

If one person says a coach is "terrible" and another says, "no, they are merely bad", that isn't much of a disagreement.  Yet, you act like I'm calling him John Wooden.  

And when you respond so vigorously, it forces people to take an equally polar view or to submit. Neither are good options or conducive for a good dialog. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/21/2021 at 12:18 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

Given that I don't believe any of the Urban Meyer types are available (we are not getting Billy Donovan, we're not getting Jay Wright, we're not going to money whip anyone, etc etc), my first choice would be Greg McDermott at Creighton. 

well, that.... that's clearly not going to happen now that McDemott is LITERALLY worse than Hitler

• Haha 1

On 2/27/2021 at 1:23 PM, UDontKnow said:

Hopefully boosters get involved in the hiring process so that CDC doesn't fuck it up like he almost did football.

Where does this come from?  I have seen about zero evidence that anyone knows shit about fuck when it comes to the Sarkisian hire.

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Where does this come from?  I have seen about zero evidence that anyone knows shit about fuck when it comes to the Sarkisian hire.

People like blaming CDC when things go poorly and not giving him credit when things go well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

People like blaming CDC when things go poorly and not giving him credit when things go well. 

This is true.

CDC fucked up the Sark hiring

CDC gave Shaka an extension (he did not)

CDC doesn't have the balls to do the hard choices (he fired Herman) 

Blah blah blah. 

Relevant to this thread:

CDC hired Trent Johnson (very bad!)

CDC hired Jamie Dixon (good! But also a layup given the timing and alumni connection)

CDC oversaw TCU's overhaul from high school-caliber facilities to a Big 12-good complex (good!)

something that i realized during all of the Courtney Ramey talk from the OU thread: aside from Isaiah Taylor (who was obviously not a Shaka recruit), we haven't had a single go-to player/floor leader under Shaka. the guy who always has the ball in his hands with the game on the line, the guy who you totally believe in to make a play. all of those top 10 recruiting classes, and our best players for five straight years have either been one-and-done, 18 year-old big men with no perimeter game at all, or guards who merely became older, slightly better versions of their consisterly erratic selves, eg Roach, Coleman, and Ramey. 

that is such piss poor player development, and such a damning sign that Shaka is out of his league here. for Texas to go five straight years without ever having a real leader/go-to player- the guy you know will have the ball in his hands with the game on the line, and a guy who everyone trusts and expects to make a play- is inexcusable, and really not forgivable. among Shaka's many flaws as a HC, his inability to develop talent/leaders is a huge one. but that's what you get when never ever ever coach the bad habits and stupid shots out of your players- none of them ever emerges as a go-to guy. instead you're always nervous and holding your breath late in a close game, because you know that no matter who has the ball, you cannot count on him to make a smart or clutch play. it's totally up in the air, every time. you're never going tj win anything like that. never. 

Anybody that thinks Shaka is getting fired this year is out of their mind. Our ath dept is running in the red (probably significantly so) and Shaka made the tourney and swept KU. CDC had to fire Herman because football revenue is the engine for the entire dept. Basketball revenue matters fuck all. No big money boosters care that much to pick up the Shaka tab. If we weren't mired in a covid economy, maybe we shitcan him with a first round loss, but zero chance it happens now. All he had to do was make the tourney. He did.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Anybody that thinks Shaka is getting fired this year is out of their mind. Our ath dept is running in the red (probably significantly so) and Shaka made the tourney and swept KU. CDC had to fire Herman because football revenue is the engine for the entire dept. Basketball revenue matters fuck all. No big money boosters care that much to pick up the Shaka tab. If we weren't mired in a covid economy, maybe we shitcan him with a first round loss, but zero chance it happens now. All he had to do was make the tourney. He did.  

i don't think anyone has ever thought that Shaka would be fired after this year. after next year though, he needs to be gone.

• Hook 'Em 1

I will wait to see what happens in the off-season before I get too excited either way. Any of the current seniors could come back for another year if they choose. Sims or Hamm would help a lot. Febres would be a likely candidate.

Also it is likely that they will pass another transfer exemption where transfer players can play right away without losing any eligibility. I’m sure there will be some decent players in the portal.

Seniors Ramey and Jones plus juniors Cunningham, Williams and Hepa are a pretty veteran core to build around. It seems like most of our bad years have been when we have really young guards.

But I don’t see much way we are as good as this year though unless something crazy happens like Coleman and Sims both coming back.

14 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I will wait to see what happens in the off-season before I get too excited either way. Any of the current seniors could come back for another year if they choose. Sims or Hamm would help a lot. Febres would be a likely candidate.

Also it is likely that they will pass another transfer exemption where transfer players can play right away without losing any eligibility. I’m sure there will be some decent players in the portal.

Seniors Ramey and Jones plus juniors Cunningham, Williams and Hepa are a pretty veteran core to build around. It seems like most of our bad years have been when we have really young guards.

But I don’t see much way we are as good as this year though unless something crazy happens like Coleman and Sims both coming back.

Sims, Hamm, Febres, and Coleman all participated in senior night festivities with their families on hand. I don't see any of them returning. 

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

projected 2022 roster at this point:

Starters:

Courtney Ramey

Andrew Jones

Tamar Bates

Donovan Williams

Brock Cunningham

Bench:

Kamaka Hepa

Emarion Ellis

David Joplin

Blake Nevins 

with Shaka Smart coaching that team, that has "really really bad season" written all over it. 

looking at this ^ makes me wonder why we let Baker and Liddell just leave, knowing how thin we're going to be next year. 

7 hours ago, Red Five said:

Wonder if Shaka might want to strike while the iron is hot and take a job where he won't be fired after his next subpar season. Thinking a Georgetown/DePaul type gig. 

I suggested this idea earlier, also as a bargaining point in negotiations with cdc.   If we go to weekend number 2 someone is going to want this man, and they will have a five year deal in hand.  This could be both sides saving grace.  Save a lot of angst on both sides, let him go to someone stupid, just like we were stupid six years ago.  I feel it happening. 

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

projected 2022 roster at this point:

Starters:

Courtney Ramey

Andrew Jones

Tamar Bates

Donovan Williams

Brock Cunningham

Bench:

Kamaka Hepa

Emarion Ellis

David Joplin

Blake Nevins 

with Shaka Smart coaching that team, that has "really really bad season" written all over it. 

we're young!...wait, we're old!...wait we're experienced!    that does not look good at all.

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic