Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

18 hours ago, HookEm said:

It will be interesting to see what our team looks like next year. I think we will still be pretty good with lots of upper classmen.

The year after that is my prediction for our last year with Shaka.

Shaka won't coach a game at Moody Center as the HC of TEXAS.... if Shaka comes back next year it's his final year at TEXAS.

If Shaka is wise, he'll move to another job after this season.  Next year's Horns team (2021-2022) won't be nearly as good as this year's team.  

Edited by LTtxfan

46 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He’s not leaving after this season. Y’all are delusional. Coaches get fired from Texas, they don’t leave voluntarily and take other jobs. 

You're probably right. But if there is a job out there opening up that he would like, he'd be wise to take it because he won't be the coach here in 13 months. 

something that i keep thinking, but haven't brought up because of its unlikelihood- there's no guarantee that Andrew Jones returns. i mean he most likely does, as he's unlikely to be drafted next season, but it wouldn't be the most shocking thing in the world for me if things played out a certain way and AJ left. 

first, remember that he was the best player on the team up until around the time that the team started to nosedive. he's 6'4" and talented, even if he's not playing great right now. second, AJ turns 24 this year and has already been at Texas for five years. even if he doesn't get drafted, the G League or an overseas gig might sound a lot better to AJ than laboring through a 20-loss season at Texas as a 24 year old grown man. if we lose AJ after this year as well? 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886h7bmrwg9j8t114jh1l

Edited by shadow_operative

On 3/6/2021 at 7:02 PM, shadow_operative said:

something that i keep thinking, but haven't brought up because of its unlikelihood- there's no guarantee that Andrew Jones returns. i mean he most likely does, as he's unlikely to be drafted next season, but it wouldn't be the most shocking thing in the world for me if things played out a certain way and AJ left. 

So who is projected to return next season for the HORNS ???

On 3/7/2021 at 8:23 PM, LTtxfan said:

So who is projected to return next season for the HORNS ???

Rather than declare who is returning, I'll give my take on the % chance they will since technically anyone can return this year.

Starters:

• Courtney Ramey - 95% - Gets to be the man and make his case to be an NBA PG
  • Donovan Williams - 95% - Will be a key piece next year. I expect big improvement a year removed from knee injury
  • Andrew Jones - 70% - May decide it is time to head to Europe / NBA DL 
  • Brock Cunningham - 99% - I don't see him going anywhere else.  Needs a big offseason.
  • Kamaka Hepa - 80% - He should get a big up-tick in minutes next year and will be an important piece

Bench:

• Jase Febres - 60% - There was talk he would redshirt this year after his knee injury. I think that means he will be back.
  • Tamar Bates - 100% - Should get 25+ minutes. Even more if Jones and Febres aren't back
  • Emarion Ellis - 100% - Could be a 2-3 year project before we get significant contribution
  • David Joplin - 100% - Could get 20+ minutes off the bench depending on our forward depth
  • Keeyan Itejere - 100% - Hopefully he another diamond in the rough like Jaxson Hayes or Kai Jones. 

Gone:

• Royce Hamm - 35% - He could get a lot of minutes next year, but it sounds like there is some bad blood
  • Jericho Sims - 20% - He would be MUCH more featured next year with Greg Brown and Kai Jones gone.  But unlikely.
  • Greg Brown - 1% - Only chance is with a fluke injury or something. He gone.
  • Kai Jones - 1% - He is projected anywhere from 10-22 in the draft and he is a soph.  He gone. 
  • Matt Coleman - 1% - He has given the program enough. Time to make some money
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, HookEm said:
  • Brock Cunningham - 99% - I don't see him going anywhere else.  Needs a big offseason

I'm not sure I can make it an entire season watching this guy get starters minutes. Did he just record the worst offensive season in Texas history for a guy playing 15 mpg? Shooting a smooth .222 /.256 /.556 this season. I can only muster so much enthusiasm for his scrappy play on D when he hustles down to the other end and bricks so many shots. 

Edited by Blotto

Fair, but it isn’t like he is taking 20 shots a game. He is taking 2. Big deal. Miss both of them, who cares.

Is it possible to find his plus / minus anywhere? It seems like he has a good impact on the game. He tends to keep the ball moving.

14 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Is it possible to find his plus / minus anywhere? It seems like he has a good impact on the game. He tends to keep the ball moving.

closest i could find is a stat called BPM (https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/bpm2.html).

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/texas/2021.html#all_advanced

On 3/6/2021 at 11:11 AM, dcar00 said:

we're young!...wait, we're old!...wait we're experienced!    that does not look good at all.

It'll be a strange (expectedly very rough, but hopefully not so) season with a roster full of swingmen types... youth will be tossed about as an excuse.. no true ball handler and no presence in the paint.  We will shoot a ton of threes, get outrebounded regularly, and shy away even more from any paint related offense (unless Simms returned for some reason).  Without a couple guys who can block a shot and fight for defensive rebounds, even the one most consistent plus for this team (defense) is prone for a drop.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think I'm more optimistic than most about next year.  For me, the best predictor of NCAA success is upper-class experience at the guard positions.  If Febres comes back, we could be starting 3 senior guards plus junior Donovan Williams in essentially a 4-guard lineup.  All of them should get marginally better over the next year, especially Williams who has had a really down year. 

They all have good size at the college level.  At 6'3 and 6'4, Ramey and Jones will be bigger than most guards we face.  Then at 6'5 and 6'6, Febres and Williams wouldn't be that undersized at the 3/4.  We would really need a 5 who can defend, get elite boards, and run the floor.  I don't think that is Hepa or Brock.  Maybe one of the freshmen.

I'm much more worried about the next year when all these guys graduate.  It could get ugly.  Shaka needs to be recruiting his ass off for 2022 if he wants to stick around.

1 minute ago, HookEm said:

I think I'm more optimistic than most about next year.  For me, the best predictor of NCAA success is upper-class experience at the guard positions.  If Febres comes back, we could be starting 3 senior guards plus junior Donovan Williams in essentially a 4-guard lineup.  All of them should get marginally better over the next year, especially Williams who has had a really down year. 

They all have good size at the college level.  At 6'3 and 6'4, Ramey and Jones will be bigger than most guards we face.  Then at 6'5 and 6'6, Febres and Williams wouldn't be that undersized at the 3/4.  We would really need a 5 who can defend, get elite boards, and run the floor.  I don't think that is Hepa or Brock.  Maybe one of the freshmen.

I'm much more worried about the next year when all these guys graduate.  It could get ugly.  Shaka needs to be recruiting his ass off for 2022 if he wants to stick around.

A deep tourney run combined with a recruiting pitch of "There's gonna be tons of playing time when Coleman, Ramey, Febres, AJ graduate" could realistically result in landing a couple freshman guards that can ball.

4 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

A deep tourney run combined with a recruiting pitch of "There's gonna be tons of playing time when Coleman, Ramey, Febres, AJ graduate" could realistically result in landing a couple freshman guards that can ball.

On the flip side - If we have a quick tourney exit, Shaka will find himself in Tom Herman territory. An imminent roster problem on the horizon combined with heavy job insecurity, will just compound the issue and lead to an inability to recruit. Then he's truly fucked.

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I don't spend a lot of time following basketball recruiting, but supposedly Tamar Bates is that guy.

Keyonte George at iSchool (fake school in Lewisville) would be a huge get.

https://247sports.com/player/keyonte-george-46059226/

Edited by Hornlover
removed shitty aggregator link

29 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

The portal!  

3 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Keyonte George at iSchool (fake school in Lewisville) would be a huge get.

https://247sports.com/player/keyonte-george-46059226/

Out of that great in-state class of '22 point guards the 2 most likely to land at UT are Austin Nunez and Bryce Griggs and there’s a real chance we'll get both. Keynote George seems like more of a Gleague candidate and the other great 5 star PG, Cason Wallace is a Baylor or perhaps an Arizona candidate if the rumors about Drew are true. 

4 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Out of that great in-state class of '22 point guards the 2 most likely to land at UT are Austin Nunez and Bryce Griggs and there’s a real chance we'll get both. Keynote George seems like more of a Gleague candidate and the other great 5 star PG, Cason Wallace is a Baylor or perhaps an Arizona candidate if the rumors about Drew are true. 

Missed the Drew rumor.  Possible to Arizona?

22 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he would be dumb to ever leave Waco. 

So true.

But Arizona may come calling.  And I bet Indiana too if they can Archie Miller.  Though Cuban supports him still. 

Some, uh, interesting intel from Chip Brown (grain of salt and all that):

Spoiler

Texas basketball coach Shaka Smart has two years remaining on a guaranteed contract after this season that will pay him $3.5 million for the 2021-22 season and $3.6 million for the 2022-23 season.

A source close to Smart told Horns247 the six-year Texas coach with a record of 107-85 (.557) will be expecting a contract extension after this season, and if that doesn’t happen, Smart will listen to offers for other jobs.

FCB.

But I also have said I'm supportive of an extension (in name only for recruiting purposes) that does not increase the buyout even 1 penny, if he goes Sweet 16 or beyond this year. If we dip out before the 2nd weekend, he can listen to other offers.  Like throw another year or two on it, don't guarantee the money for those extra years without performance benchmarks and no increase in the buyout. 

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

Texas basketball coach Shaka Smart has two years remaining on a guaranteed contract after this season that will pay him $3.5 million for the 2021-22 season and $3.6 million for the 2022-23 season.

A source close to Smart told Horns247 the six-year Texas coach with a record of 107-85 (.557) will be expecting a contract extension after this season, and if that doesn’t happen, Smart will listen to offers for other jobs.

oh please oh please be true. please tell me that Shaka Smart's camp actually believes that he deserves an extension and will begin to look elsewhere should he not get one. 

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

Ha! And you guys were skeptical of me forecasting this very thing.  However, I presented the situation in a way that Shakas agent would expect an extension only if Shaka made it to the second weekend.  This FCB sentence doesn’t even mention a strong tourney run.  He might actually expect an extension even if he only wins one NCAA game!

This is coming together very nicely.  To me, the key is making it to weekend #2, so the agent can have the entire week to publicize Shakas greatness to potential suitors.  And when we win game #3, the line of suitors will form from the left.  And every one of those dudes is going to see a young, vibrant exciting coach.  Every one of those dudes will offer at least a 5 year deal.  The heat will be on CDC.  We will finally get to see what he is made of.  

It IS happening. 

Unless Shaka wins the title this year (or I suppose gets to the final 4) if CDC gives him a real extension (not just some propaganda bullshit extension that is really meaningless) then I will personally drive down to campus, walk into his office and pee on his rug. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

You say that now, but memories are short.  What if we’re in the elite eight game and we copy what we did in Penders best year, come within one basket of tying the game in the final minutes?  

And ive forgotten, did that Arky team that held on for dear life against us win the whole thing or not? 

Pretend our e eight loss is to the team that wins it all.  Talk about uncomfortable.  Balls of steel required to say no extension at that time. Could happen.  

On 3/11/2021 at 1:32 PM, shadow_operative said:

oh please oh please be true. please tell me that Shaka Smart's camp actually believes that he deserves an extension and will begin to look elsewhere should he not get one. 

he knows next year is going to be a disaster.  He knows he doesn't deserve the extension but he also knows(CDC as well) that going into his last year with no extension will be bad for recruiting.  this is his one shot to have any sort of pressure on CDC.

CDC can't be blind that next year is going to suck shit through a straw.

17 hours ago, Underdog said:

Please,  Strollin' Nolan.  

That reminds me of the incident.   Correct me if wrong, but when he left the bench, if refs had given him a technical, we would have shot free throws and gained possession.  We would have easily won the game.  Instead, Arky came back and sent the game into overtime, and some pig players ran into the locker room to bring him back to the bench.  

Did the refs have a good reason to not T him up?

I wonder if there is an anti-strollin rule now?

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic