Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

When multiple so-called "Experts" have TEXAS as one of their FINAL FOUR PICKS, and yah can't make any adjustments against a 14th seed ACU after HORNS having a 9 point lead, it's time to go...

FIRE SHAKA

FIRE SHAKA 

FIRE SHAKA

With a TEXAS team full of Seniors, the shit that just happened to the HORNS on National TV Saturday against little ol ACU, is inexcusable...

Even one of SHAKA's $9.95er excuse making buddies saying time to go...

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

Some jobs that Shaka might walk for, off the top of my head:

Marquette

Indiana (would they take him?)

Minnesota

He should probably start with mopping floors before washing the lettuce. If he doesn’t burn the place down we can move him to fries next year. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Given Shaka resume it should be a no brainer he’s fired. His fuck ups greatly outweigh his backing into the championship game and beating okie lite. 

Does his resume say “extremely woke” on it? If so, surely he can’t be fired.

• Haha 4

On 3/14/2021 at 11:43 AM, Blotto said:

When Barnes really had it rolling I didn't particularly give a fuck about our conf. tourney record, and that hasn't changed. Winning the regular season is a far greater accomplishment and not something we have a lot of experience with. I'm happy that we won, and that Shaka and the team get a little notoriety, but winning two games just isnt that impressive to me. Hopefully this gives the team some momentum and confidence for Indy, but if we shit the bed in the first two rounds next week, nobody will give a fuck about what we did this weekend. Nor should they. 

So true... SHAKA shit the bed again !!!

Let’s not forget the dip shits who flooded into this thread and the other basketball thread after the Big 12 tourney to proclaim everyone wrong for wanting Shaka fired. That opinion was even worse than those defending Strong at the end.

Shaka never once clearly demonstrated he could field a good team, and most of us knew the embarrassing early exit would happen this year. Just look at the last five years. It was easy to predict. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/14/2021 at 12:18 PM, Hanrahan said:

We’re back baby!

Yeah, we're back in the sewer once again...

SHAKA probably just did us a huge favor by losing in the 1st Round of the 2021 NCAA Tourney.  After six years as Head Coach and five chances to get to the Tourney and win some games, his TEXAS accomplishments: 3 trips and 0-3 results.

It's long since been past time to dump this charlatan. Yet here we are. Still, I have a feeling they're going to make a move. Once that happens, who should the target coach be? To me that list starts with Beard, but maybe there are better options.

I was stupid enough to think that after six seasons and the B12 tourney, Shaka finally turned the corner but it’s clear now there never was a corner for him to turn because he’s just not a good head coach and should be fired asap.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

And your claim that Carlos Correa would be the first ever $500MM man.  You got roasted for that one pretty good.

Might have immediately backed down to 400 million. 
still in play when he has a 14 war season and wins the World Series mvp

I wouldn’t have been confident if CDC didn’t fire Herman but Shaka has clearly underperformed all 6 years and that’s all we needed to see. I think CDC gets it done. The BMDs usually don’t give much of a fuck about basketball but this was embarrassing on the national stage vs. an in-state squad that was recently D-II. He’s toast, nice guy or not. Shaka knows it too.

Feel awful for the players who haven’t been developed properly.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Literally all Shaka had to do was win last night but he is hell bent on doing everything he can to get fired. I really hope cdc and the blue hairs are as pissed as this board is. We are about to find out if cdc came here to “win championships” across all men’s sports.

CDC gonna say: big 12 tournament victory and finishing top 10 in ap poll.  good enough for me.  *writes check*

He’s had more than enough time to show whether he’s a good coach   Losing record in conference.  No tournament wins.  Overall 56% winning percentage.  All with above average talent.  By any objective measure he not good enough.  Very easy decision if the money is there.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

CDC gonna say: big 12 tournament victory and finishing top 10 in ap poll.  good enough for me.  *writes check*

This is my expectation 

Edited by Nope

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He’s had more than enough time to show whether he’s a good coach   Losing record in conference.  No tournament wins.  Overall 56% winning percentage.  All with above average talent.  By any objective measure he not good enough.  Very easy decision if the money is there.  

The money doesn’t even have to be there. It’s 3.5 million a year for 2 years. We could pay that out of operating expenses. We will lose more money than that in apathy

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Needs to be done swiftly. We will 100% receive bad press from it but people will understand more if the firing is in close relation to a historically embarrassing loss. It needs to look like a no brainer on our part, because it is. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, VaLonghorn99 said:

A team loss is on the coach

If ACU could come together to beat us, why couldn't we. A team is greater than the sum of its parts. If UT had synergy it could do great things. But that's intangible and not easy to achieve.

Let’s put a pin in it and circle back...fuck I couldn’t even finish it. Fuck you. 

Reminder of the national recruiting rankings Shaka has had to work with:

How many coaches have performed this poorly with 5 straight Top 20 classes, when many of those players were here for 3-4 years?  He's done absolutely nothing to develop any players, despite having multiple years to work with them.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

He needed to be fired 3 years ago since he is really a horrible coach.  The fact that we kept him here for 6 years is an absolute travesty.  What will anger me the most is if we fire him, we will get to hear from all the “talking heads” on ESPN and the other media outlets about how horrible Texas is for getting rid of him even though every single one of them would be calling for his head on a platter if he coached at a school they supported.  You know every national radio and TV show will be crying that Texas fans expect too much and this is why they can’t win.  They will blame the fans.  It’s a interesting narrative that always comes out for some reason.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Needs to be done swiftly. We will 100% receive bad press from it but people will understand more if the firing is in close relation to a historically embarrassing loss. It needs to look like a no brainer on our part, because it is. 

I don't think bad press would follow. If you search fire shaka, it goes back multiple years with people saying the same thing and showing how things will progress if we don't. All those predictions have pretty much transpired (other than the other Big 12 teams laying down in this year's conference tournament to give the only positive to keeping him). Firing is overdue. Firing has been earned. There is zero question of "if", just a when.

Can not let the other team dictate your flow, especially when that team is Abilene Christian. There are far more unremarkable moments in his 6 years here than there are remarkable moments. 6 seasons,  0-3 in the tournament. Give him his 7 million and let's go shopping. 

1 hour ago, Horn80 said:

I was stupid enough to think that after six seasons and the B12 tourney, Shaka finally turned the corner but it’s clear now there never was a corner for him to turn because he’s just not a good head coach and should be fired asap.

Same crap which got us  excited with football under Herman and to some extent Charlie until the next game.   Signature wins here and there.....”Texas....We’re Back....”.   and then spectacular let downs.   Go fricken figure. What occurred last night was the worst of the letdowns in any sport going I don’t know how far back. Had we lost to ACU or any barely D1 team in football, that coach when have been fired immediately, I think.  

6 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

He needed to be fired 3 years ago since he is really a horrible coach.  The fact that we kept him here for 6 years is an absolute travesty.  What will anger me the most is if we fire him, we will get to hear from all the “talking heads” on ESPN and the other media outlets about how horrible Texas is for getting rid of him even though every single one of them would be calling for his head on a platter if he coached at a school they supported.  You know every national radio and TV show will be crying that Texas fans expect too much and this is why they can’t win.  They will blame the fans.  It’s a interesting narrative that always comes out for some reason.

Don't let them get to you, they are the same idiots that said we were racists for firing Charlie Strong. Completely ignoring that if race had been a thing, we wouldn't have hired him.

Despite being disappointed at the loss and yes it's time to get a new coach, Smart is still a better head coach in his sport than Strong is in his. 

59 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

I wouldn’t have been confident if CDC didn’t fire Herman but Shaka has clearly underperformed all 6 years and that’s all we needed to see. I think CDC gets it done. The BMDs usually don’t give much of a fuck about basketball but this was embarrassing on the national stage vs. an in-state squad that was recently D-II. He’s toast, nice guy or not. Shaka knows it too.

Feel awful for the players who haven’t been developed properly.

Our NBA guys alone could pass the hat around and pay the buyout with ease 

• Like 1

Bright side of the loss - just like Herman losing down the stretch, the failure of Smart in the tournament eliminates the uncomfortable decision to dump him. If he had advanced to the sweet sixteen, the media and others would be talking about how he was cut right when he turned it around. It would have been bad press and could have had recruiting implications. Now, they can cut him with minimal backlash. 

• Hook 'Em 2