Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

Pitino is 68.  He’s already said he’s at his last stop.  At Iona, he doesn’t have to travel far to recruit and Iona will let him do whatever he wants.  That wouldn’t happen at Texas.  

Sampson is 65.  He’s already said UH is his last stop.  When you’re his age and has it rolling, you’re not coming to Texas to rebuild.  UH is a perfect job for someone like Sampson because he can recruit just Houston and UH is easy to get recruits into.  He’s not coming here.

Matta has had health issues and just today has been linked to the INdiana job.  Matta is old. 

This board needs to get out of the past coaches and start thinking of good/great coaches who can build a career here. That isn’t Pitino or Sampson. 

Also, you cannot tell a hire “hey we will hire you to start but you need to hire someone like Royal to eventually pass the program along to him.”  Can you do that to a hire after they’ve been here for a while?  Sure.  But during the interview?  What fucking coach would agree to that. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, El Squared said:

The EoT experience  is all the proof that anyone needs to know that some in  the National media and other schools  will attack Texas using the race angle,  for canning Shaka. Thin and weak or even non-existent linkages are the order of the day. That coupled with  clickbait and stir the shit agendas make it a lock.

Doubt it - Consensus opinion is that  losing to Abilene Christian is a fireable offense 

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

How old is he? Wasn’t he just in the nba recently? I loved him at Michigan but yea that was awhile ago. Fuck I’m old.

Old (like 68). 
yes- he was in the NBA until last all star game when he quit after the team had a mutiny against him. 
he was even better at WVU, in my opinion all things considered, than at Michigan. 

5 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

He’s not leaving there, even if we money whip him.

From what the media has said, I’m starting to believe this too.  There’s been some chatter that Marquette might go after him, and Indiana would be stupid to at least not interview him. 

• Like 1

What the heck people?  Point made by my post.   I just noted the dynamics we face in light of the “The Eyes” decision and a lot of unresolved feelings around the issue especially from the same group who doesn’t agree with that decision which happen to be some of the louder voice out there who drives messages.    This is how it will go...”   UT Athletics fires its first African American basketball  Coach,  just weeks after deciding they will keep a song that SOME associate with racism.”   Can you fools not see this?      And the reactions I get is the bird and quit being so white with another meme with some sort of cute message.  

• Fuck You 5

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Old (like 68). 
yes- he was in the NBA until last all star game when he quit after the team had a mutiny against him. 
he was even better at WVU, in my opinion all things considered, than at Michigan. 

What was the mutiny about?

I hope we're not too arrogant and fool ourselves into thinking we have to have a 'name' coach. Everyone loves Beard, but would he have made our list if he was still at UALR? 

This isn't football so we don't necessarily need a coaching god. A good young coach, who will give us a good then great 10-15 year run is perfect. If you can find one. The decision makers need to do all of their homework, not just the subjects they like.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Pitino is 68.  He’s already said he’s at his last stop.  At Iona, he doesn’t have to travel far to recruit and Iona will let him do whatever he wants.  That wouldn’t happen at Texas.  

Sampson is 65.  He’s already said UH is his last stop.  When you’re his age and has it rolling, you’re not coming to Texas to rebuild.  UH is a perfect job for someone like Sampson because he can recruit just Houston and UH is easy to get recruits into.  He’s 

Matt’s had health issues and just today has been linked to the INdiana job.  Matta is old. 

This board needs to get out of the past coaches and start thinking of good/great coaches who can build a career here. That isn’t Pitino or Sampson. 

Also, you cannot tell a hire “hey we will hire you to start but you need to hire someone like Royal to eventually pass the program along to him.”  Can you do that to a hire after they’ve been here for a while?  Sure.  But during the interview?  What fucking coach would agree to that. 

One that’s comfortable with a 3-5 year

timeline? Every interview I’ve ever done with someone as a producer or in management I talk about what success looks like and what failure and termination look like, but I’m a borderline weirdo so maybe that’s not a good go by. 
The desire to hire an old is the zag away from hiring the hot up and comer in Shaka and Charlie and Heman. Have some grace for those of us who don’t want to roll the dice and want someone that you know will at least guarantee good. 
I hear you on Pitino but that ego maniac would be out the door in a second if he thought he could win another title and cash big checks. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I suspect we aren’t hiring Pitino or Sampson, but it’s my list. In not hiring Pitino, we are willfully saying “I don’t care enough to win at least one championship”. Sampson’s bad rap makes zero sense and never has. 

The line of succession thing will never work. I don’t understand this obsession with Ivey. 

True, HCIWs are high risk, low reward.  

Ivey is very well thought of and will be an NBA head coach soon.  Apprenticing for years under Billy Donovan and now Steve Nash is pretty fucking strong.  Too many unanswered questions, however.  So, I think most people get that.

But, if you miss on him now, you may never get him.

12 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

The crazy thing about that last is that Beard is so high.  Not that he's not a great coach, but the only reason he is paid so much is because of Tech's fear that we will come for him.

tceh learned their lesson with the pirate.   if someone makes you relevant, you say "yes".

8 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Matta is 53, but he's an old 53. 

Yes he is but no buyout, I read on the ringer from the one of his old players (the club trillionaire guy) that he’d still like to coach, and I think you could get him on a cheap deal to see if it’d work out. 
that’s my reason for having him on my list. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

13 minutes ago, El Squared said:

The EoT experience  is all the proof that anyone needs to know that some in  the national  media and other schools  will attack Texas using the race angle,  for canning Shaka. Thin and weak or even non-existent linkages are the order of the day. That coupled with  clickbait and stir the shit agendas make it a lock.

esteemed and right honorable african-american members of this here forum claim it ain't so.

Well until Shaka is officially fired his possible replacements are going to get buried in this thread. Still I went ahead and did a lazy search of names this morning. So for those that know more than I which of the names included in the spoiler are a real possibility. I only included names with at least 2 sweet sixteen appearances in the last 5 years.

Spoiler

https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/09/27/ncaa-basketball-ranking-20-best-head-coaches-past-5-seasons/6/

Coach Accomplishments the past 5 seasons

Greg Gard - Wisconsin
Big Ten Regular Season Champion: 1 (2020)
NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen: 2 (2016 and 2017)
NCAA Tournament Appearances: 3 (2016, 2017, 2019)

Leonard Hamilton - Florida State
ACC Regular Season Champion: 1 (2020)
NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen: 2 (2018 and 2019)
NCAA Tournament Appearances: 3 (2017, 2018, 2019)

Chris Beard - Texas Tech
NCAA Tournament Final Four: 1 (2019)
Big 12 Regular Season Champion: 1 (2019)
Sun Belt Regular Season Champion: 1 (2016)
Sun Belt Tournament Champion: 1 (2016)
NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen: 2 (2018, 2019)
NCAA Tournament Appearances: 3 (2016, 2018, 2019)

Matt Painter - Purdue
Big Ten Regular Season Champion: 2 (2017 and 2019)
Big Ten Tournament Champion: 1 (2009)
NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen: 3 (2017, 2018, 2019)
NCAA Tournament Appearances: 4 (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)

Tony Bennet - Virginia
NCAA National Championships: 1 (2019)
NCAA Tournament Final Four: 1 (2019)
ACC Regular Season Champion: 2 (2018 and 2019)
ACC Tournament Champion: 1 (2018)
NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen: 2 (2016 and 2019)
NCAA Tournament Appearances: 4 (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)

Dana Altman - Oregon
NCAA Tournament Final Four: 1 (2017)
Pac-12 Regular Season Champion: 3 (2016, 2017, 2020)
Pac-12 Tournament Champion: 2 (2016 and 2019)
NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen: 3 (2016, 2017, 2019)
NCAA Tournament Appearances: 4 (2016, 2017, 2019)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Why was Mike D'Antoni mentioned upthread? Is there any indication that he'd be interested in college ball? I'd love that hire but it doesn't seem realistic.

He wansn’t mentioned as a hire rather someone coached under him. 

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Why was Mike D'Antoni mentioned upthread? Is there any indication that he'd be interested in college ball? I'd love that hire but it doesn't seem realistic.

Not sure if I would want him to coach my school. But I would love to see what Mad Mike could do in college.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

esteemed and right honorable african-american members of this here forum claim it ain't so.

Honestly?  I think that matters. I don’t really give a shit if someone in the national media wants to peddle race on this, but I care a lot if our AA stakeholders in our programs success feel strongly. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Honestly?  I think that matters. I don’t really give a shit if someone in the national media wants to peddle race on this, but I care a lot if our AA stakeholders in our programs success feel strongly. 

Your virtue has been properly signaled.  

• Fuck You 3

18 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

What the heck people?  Point made by my post.   I just noted the dynamics we face in light of the “The Eyes” decision and a lot of unresolved feelings around the issue especially from the same group who doesn’t agree with that decision which happen to be some of the louder voice out there who drives messages.    This is how it will go...”   UT Athletics fires its first African American basketball  Coach,  just weeks after deciding they will keep a song that SOME associate with racism.”   Can you fools not see this?      And the reactions I get is the bird and quit being so white with another meme with some sort of cute message.  

This is such a dumb post and you should feel bad for making it.

Shaka has been here 6 years and hasn’t won a single tournament game and just lost to Abilene Christian. He deserves to be fired, everyone knows it, and if the media makes a stink about everyone who is normal will blow it off except guys like you who will then become outraged that some random dude in the media made a stink about it. 

It doesn’t matter. Shaka sucks as a coach. Given that, we should fire his ass. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

How is Ivey regarded as a coach? I gotta admit that I thought Juwon Howard was going to be a colossal failure at Michigan but obviously that isn’t the case. If you could get Ivey for relatively cheap I’d be all for taking a chance on him.

Highly regarded amongst our NBA Horns, apparently.  Lots of people really like him and think he’s the real deal.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, PilotsError said:

Your virtue has been properly signaled.  

Yes. Because I am totally a virtue signaling lefty and that’s what my post was about.  Ha. 
it’s the difference between saying it’s inevitable that someone somewhere will have a bitch about whatever we do, and saying that we need to take the thoughts and opinions of our entire constituency into account. 
Remember I’m the one who started this thread in year fucking 2 that he wasn’t the guy, so...

I’m also not saying that It should be anyone of colors decision to make, or that they should have a veto, I’m saying that they are stakeholders that matter. 

Just now, jw4381 said:

Would he come here?

My guess is he wants to coach in the NBA but he loves texas so you’d have to think he’d consider it. It’s likely the only NCAA job he’d consider and then, only if we get to him before he gets his feet wet in the league. 

• Hook 'Em 1

we need to hire a coach with legit college coaching/recruiting experience. most NBA guys *hate* recruiting and want no part of the whole "managing the feelings and social lives of teenagers" thing. that why i do not want to hire Royal Ivey as long as there's even a remote possibility that we could land Musselman, Bennet, Beilein, Underwood, etc. 

Edited by shadow_operative

Just now, Pancho said:

Highly regarded amongst our NBA Horns, apparently.  Lots of people really like him and think he’s the real deal.

Everyone but his pops, amirite? I imagine that, when Ivey Sr. learned Donovan wanted to hire Royal as an assistant, he went to Donovan and asked, "You want my boy to help you coach?"

In all seriousness, always been a huge Royal fan, and his rapid rise through the professional coaching ranks suggests he's got a great future, but I'd be hesitant to hire him as a head coach at the college level since he has zero experience at that level. As far as I know, he's never recruited, never made an in-home visit, never even scouted high school or junior high games, etc.

All that said, there is zero chance he'd be worse than Shaka. Worst case, he can't match Shaka's recruiting, but his players damn sure would play with more technique and discipline than what we've observed the past six years.

If Royal Ivey is a true Billy Donovan disciple I would love to see him be Shaka’s replacement. Donovan was patient and built usually disciplined and organized teams at Florida. He transformed the “ not a basketball school”, UF, into champions twice IIRC. Not sure about what Nash gives Ivey in the equation but Ivey would be worth a shot. 

Edited by El Squared

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My guess is he wants to coach in the NBA but he loves texas so you’d have to think he’d consider it. It’s likely the only NCAA job he’d consider and then, only if we get to him before he gets his feet wet in the league. 

Some guys just don’t want to deal with shit like recruiting and players grades and parents and shit, so they’re always going to be NBA guys. Brad Stevens was apparently that way even though he was a hell of a college coach. No idea about Royal, but you’ve got to think if he’s interested in college coaching at all this job was be toward the top of his list...

2 minutes ago, El Squared said:

If Royal Ivey is a true Billy Donovan disciple I would love to see him be Shaka’s replacement. Donovan was patient and built usually disciplined and organized teams at Florida. He transformed the “ not a basketball school”, UF, into champions twice IIRC. Not sure about what Nash gives Ivey in the equation but Ivey would be worth a shot. 

Donovan won back-to-back titles at Florida.

AFAIK, Nash had no prior coaching experience of any kind before accepting the Nets top job. I imagine MIke D'Antoni is the power behind the throne, with up-and-comers like Ivey, Udoka, Splitter and Vaughn running specifics.