Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Y'all are like a bunch of battered wives.

You severely underestimate the draw of Austin, the recruiting opportunities, our facilities, and the utter lack of pressure on the UT men's basketball coach.  This job isn't saddled with the toxicity that plagues the football program -- just the opposite.  I guarantee there are 100 D1 head coaches who are better than Shaka Smart and who look at 20+ years of stellar recruiting and think "THAT'S all they could accomplish?  One Final Four?  Hell, sign me up!"

There is no easier program in the country to sell to good coaches.

One of these days we'll get one.

I hope.

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

forgot to add that they were ranked #92 in kenpom to end the year.

i'm dead serious when i say that shit like this (the 2011 VCU team being allowed into the tourney) is some of the most compelling evidence to me of some sort of higher power existing. like, looking at all of those stats/their record, how do you get that team into the tourney, and then parlay that one run into this crazy ascension to the top of your field, without selling your soul to the devil or something? what, other than some sort of divine intervention, can explain how that team got into the tourney, then made the final four, leading to Shaka being one of the richest coaches in CBB with one of the top 5-10 jobs in the biz, despite being a terrible coach? it's unbelievable.

FUCK SHAKA FAUSTUS!!!!

(Or maybe he's the Antichrist)

• Hook 'Em 1

My fearless forecast, once Shaka knows for sure there is no extension coming, and just for fun CDC tells Shaka the only way to ensure an extension after next year is to have winning season and finish 4th or better in the conference......Shaka will take a long look at next years team and have to decide, is it better to leave now or wait a year?  

I remember dickie v....stock up, stock down.  Stock up, leave now while u have a current conf. Tourney champ. On your resume.

stock down, waiting until after a miserable 9-21 season next year.  

If Shakas that great guy a bunch of people say he is, he will be smart enough to figure out that his chances of having a winning season and finishing 4th or better next year are about 7 in 100.  He’s not dumb.  He and the agent might try like crazy to work something out, but I don’t think he’s gonna bet on himself.

hopefully it’s a matter of time.  

1 hour ago, orangecat92 said:

My fearless forecast, once Shaka knows for sure there is no extension coming, and just for fun CDC tells Shaka the only way to ensure an extension after next year is to have winning season and finish 4th or better in the conference.....

WTF??? If he still has a job next year that shouldn't be enough to even keep his damn job.

2 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

My fearless forecast, once Shaka knows for sure there is no extension coming, and just for fun CDC tells Shaka the only way to ensure an extension after next year is to have winning season and finish 4th or better in the conference......Shaka will take a long look at next years team and have to decide, is it better to leave now or wait a year?  

I remember dickie v....stock up, stock down.  Stock up, leave now while u have a current conf. Tourney champ. On your resume.

stock down, waiting until after a miserable 9-21 season next year.  

If Shakas that great guy a bunch of people say he is, he will be smart enough to figure out that his chances of having a winning season and finishing 4th or better next year are about 7 in 100.  He’s not dumb.  He and the agent might try like crazy to work something out, but I don’t think he’s gonna bet on himself.

hopefully it’s a matter of time.  

Has Shaka had the balls to even mention an extension all season?  

12 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Popovich?  Now your just being ridiculous.  I’m thinking we see if Nick Saban wants to coach basketball.  Can’t be worse than Shaka and we know he will cheat to get the best players.  

Why settle for less than the best? John Wooden’s not doing anything. 

• Rage+1 1

Royal Ivey would follow the Michigan Juwan Howard model. I don't see any realistic homerun hires. Seems like we will have to go the assistant coach route or NBA route. Good thing is that there are some damn good assistants out there. Jon Scheyer probably heads the list. 

https://goduke.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/jon-scheyer/3970

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

He's not going to do that on the record, obviously. Behind the scenes the buzz is that he (his agent) was going to push for an extension after the season concluded.

9 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Royal Ivey would follow the Michigan Juwan Howard model. I don't see any realistic homerun hires. Seems like we will have to go the assistant coach route or NBA route. Good thing is that there are some damn good assistants out there. Jon Scheyer probably heads the list. 

https://goduke.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/jon-scheyer/3970

Not a bad hire if you want to grab an assistant under an elite coach with a national title under his belt.  Coach K is 74, so really depends if Scheyer sees Coach K coaching for much longer and wants to wait it out. 

Plus K's coaching tree is so big with head coaches, there's better options than an assistant when Duke is ready: Amaker, Capel, Collins, Dawkins, Hurley.  Obviously Snyder isn't going to go from the NBA to college and Woj got fired. 

Edited by Js1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Not a bad hire if you want to grab an assistant under an elite coach with a national title under his belt.  Coach K is 74, so really depends if Scheyer sees Coach K coaching for much longer and wants to wait it out. 

Plus K's coaching tree is so big with head coaches, there's better options than an assistant when Duke is ready: Amaker, Capel, Collins, Dawkins, Hurley.  Obviously Snyder isn't going to go from the NBA to college and Woj got fired. 

Speaking of Hurley that wouldn't be a bad deal imo. really I just think we need a coach that has a tried and true offensive system that prioritizes the 3 ball, teams like Creighton, Nova, Syracuse, Gonzaga ect make a living in the tournament based solely off that offensive system. Have you watched Loyala- Chicago play? The screens and cuts is not only good viewing basketball but it also makes you really hard to defend, who out there runs a tried and true offensive system? Its about time that texas gets some shooters

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

As much as I'm skeptical  Shaka will be shown the door soon (hopefully in the next few days), this Tweet very much is that of a coaching obituary.  Or it could be sarcastic jab?  ..... Seeing that he calls the negatives as "inroads."    Especially since Barnes was on the upside  (I think)  of those which Shaka is negative.

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

It’s earlier in this thread I think.  There is a tweet from a reporter who has info. From a source that said Shaka expects an extension after the year ends.  

Cross-posting; IT on potential candidates

Spoiler

HOOPS

The future of Shaka Smart at Texas remains in limbo after another Round of 64 exit over the weekend. As of this a.m. we have heard nothing concrete regarding his future at Texas.

Should Texas make a move, IT has heard three names that are currently head coaches in college basketball that could be targeted: Chris Beard, Dana Altman, and Eric Musselman.

A former Texas assistant coach still coaching at the NCAA level said Texas should “without a doubt” look at Loyola University Chicago head coach Porter Moser. This coaching contact believes he would be a really good fit, along with being a terrific coach in general.

This same source shared concern with Musselman’s ability to connect with people the way he would need to at Texas, but loves him as an offensive coach and head coach in general.

The big push from former Texas players will be for Royal Ivey. Ivey is considered an up and coming coach in NBA circles. He is also considered the leader of the Texas basketball program among the former players. Guys that will push for Ivey to be the next head coach at Texas should the position open will include T.J. Ford, Kevin Durant, Tristan Thompson and every other former Longhorn playing in the NBA. That’s how much Ivey is liked and respected among the former Texas players. Ivey would have every former Texas player back fully invested in the program, which can be a powerful force in recruiting. There has even been talk of all the former Texas players currently in the NBA or formerly in the NBA purchasing a house together in Austin to be around the program as much as possible if Ivey was the head coach one day. It’s not out of the question that the players would provide part of the financial piece if the job opens and Ivey is next.

While this group of players wants Ivey to be the coach, all they want from Texas is for him to receive an interview if the job comes open. They understand ultimately it will be Chris Del Conte who is held responsible for the decision.

A former Texas assistant coach who coached Ivey and was a part of the program for over a decade says Ivey would be “great” with the players and has the “BBIQ” required to succeed. Understanding the staff needed to be put together is the question that would have to be answered. Ivey would need a mix of coaching experience and strong recruiting ties.

We’ll keep you posted, but you have to admit, Coach Royal has a nice ring to it.

• Hook 'Em 3

I would personally be fine with hiring Ivey. There's no Urban Meyer out there (Beilein comes closest but is old and has a negative reputation among NBA players), and I'm skeptical we could pry any of the other names (Musselman, Wright) loose. That means gambling on a hot midmajor coach and we just tried that. So if we're going to roll the dice anyway, let's see what an alumnus of the program can do.

• Hook 'Em 7

Hey, if TJ, PJ, DJ, KD, LMA and the rest of the gang are willing to pony up the cash for Shaka's buyout, then a Royal with cheese it is, even though it goes against all the criteria I mentioned earlier.

Royal couldn't do any worse, and if they're willing to front the cost of getting Shaka out of here, it's a net win.

Hide contents

It’s not out of the question that the players would provide part of the financial piece if the job opens and Ivey is next.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I would personally be fine with hiring Ivey. There's no Urban Meyer out there (Beilein comes closest but is old and has a negative reputation among NBA players), and I'm skeptical we could pry any of the other names (Musselman, Wright) loose. That means gambling on a hot midmajor coach and we just tried that. So if we're going to roll the dice anyway, let's see what an alumnus of the program can do.

Wright shouldn’t be on anyone’s list. This isn’t 2015. 

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Wright shouldn’t be on anyone’s list. This isn’t 2015. 

I'm not advocating for him to be hired, approached, or considered. I mentioned him because he's a name, the same way Nick Saban is a "name" in college football, in order to provide an example of a coach that I don't think we could get even if we decided we wanted to try (but who people will advocate for), in further order to explain why I like Royal Ivey as a candidate.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You laugh, but if we squeaked by ACU and defeated a very beatable UCLA or BYU he probably gets that extension.

spacer.png

Also no team is "very beatable" by any Shaka-coached team. IMO.

And not like I had my paycheck on the money line but no way was I not picking ACU in my bracket (the rest of which is a fucking disaster of course)

Edited by GringoSalado

Been watching Porter Moser up close for years and he is a basketball GOD. Man that team just executes half court offense to perfection. Plus people love him up here and by all accounts a good dude. 

I just watched them dismantle a true national championship contender without breaking a sweat and it wasnt lucky. 

Never gonna happen unfortunately as he is definitely a Midwest guy. 

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Exactly where I am, but I will add that I like that his experience is in the NBA with offensive minded coaches. I think that would sell well to recruits. Plus Royal is one of my favorite Longhorn basketball players.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1