Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I don't think he'll be fired but if you were going to do it would it be best to do it during the tournament or after from a media perspective?

They'll try to find him a landing spot first. FCB said to look out for Marquette.

• Hook 'Em 2

Who is they? Texas isn’t going to tell a university they need to take Shaka. Him getting a job is on him and his agent—not UT.

Exactly. Maybe when CDC doesn’t return their phone calls to talk about an extension, Shaka and Jimmy will start looking around. Fingers crossed.

Like others have said, Shaka has to know his market value has peaked given next years roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Who is they? Texas isn’t going to tell a university they need to take Shaka. Him getting a job is on him and his agent—not UT.

Right - CDC will likely tell his agent there's no extension in the works.  That says everything Sexton needs to hear to start calling up schools with openings and telling his client he's likely not going to the coach at Texas in the fall of 2021. 

2 hours ago, bullzak said:

Been watching Porter Moser up close for years and he is a basketball GOD. Man that team just executes half court offense to perfection. Plus people love him up here and by all accounts a good dude. 

I just watched them dismantle a true national championship contender without breaking a sweat and it wasnt lucky. 

Never gonna happen unfortunately as he is definitely a Midwest guy. 

Yeah, I was watching that game yesterday and was wondering why I hadn't really seen his name crop up on a potential short list -- or even at the top of it -- as his teams are just ready to play every single night.

2 hours ago, bullzak said:

Been watching Porter Moser up close for years and he is a basketball GOD. Man that team just executes half court offense to perfection. Plus people love him up here and by all accounts a good dude. 

I just watched them dismantle a true national championship contender without breaking a sweat and it wasnt lucky. 

Never gonna happen unfortunately as he is definitely a Midwest guy. 

I am interested to see how he does without the support of Sister Jean, Patron Saint of Basketball at Loyola.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

There has even been talk of all the former Texas players currently in the NBA or formerly in the NBA purchasing a house together in Austin to be around the program as much as possible if Ivey was the head coach one day.

Putting tails on all these people and their wives/girlfriends is a big FlightAware assignment but we can do it. 

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Royal couldn't do any worse

Reveal hidden contents

It’s not out of the question that the players would provide part of the financial piece if the job opens and Ivey is next.

You don't think a complete unknown with zero college coaching experience could potentially do worse?

3 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

You don't think a complete unknown with zero college coaching experience could potentially do worse?

Shaka has made that pretty difficult. 

The only similar case I've paid much attention to over the years was Clyde Drexler at UH and that was pretty terrible, but Drexler was never seen as a coach type in his playing career, hadn't coached at any level, and seemed to have taken the job out of boredom and the fact that he lived in town and it was his alma mater. This would be nothing like that. 

4 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Zero tournament wins in 6 years for about 20mm in salary. 

No I dont think he will do worse at Texas with a new arena coming, NBA rep, and the support of big time former players. 

Everybody thought Shaka was a sure thing and it has been a disaster. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

They'll try to find him a landing spot first. FCB said to look out for Marquette.

I cant remember was there talk of finding landing spot for herman, strong (or Aston)?

Isn't the soft landing spot the guaranteed payout?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

I cant remember was there talk of finding landing spot for herman, strong (or Aston)?

Isn't the soft landing spot the guaranteed payout?

Aston, no. CDC just didn’t renew her contract when it was up. Same with Connie Clark. 

Aston either had a bad agent or was just ready to be done if she let herself go into the 2019-20 season with no agreement with CDC.  Dead woman walking. 

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

I'm not defending Shaka, or doubting his ability to lose to anyone, but we were a 3 seed for a reason. Anything can happen in the tournament.

Senior experienced backcourt and NBA prospect / freak athletes in front court.  Only thing missing was a coach to point them in the right direction.

I think you would have been hard pressed to find a coach of one of the other 63 teams who wouldn't have traded rosters straight up at the beginning of the season.

Shaka can recruit.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Right - CDC will likely tell his agent there's no extension in the works.  That says everything Sexton needs to hear to start calling up schools with openings and telling his client he's likely not going to the coach at Texas in the fall of 2021. 

If Shaka doesn't find a soft landing, gonna take some Donor buyout money or I won't be surprised to see Shaka return to TEXAS with two years still remaining on his current contract.

If Shaka has the roster room, he better bring in a couple transfers that can play immediately...

43 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I cant remember was there talk of finding landing spot for herman, strong (or Aston)?     Isn't the soft landing spot the guaranteed payout?

Last year, there was some soft landing talk for Shaka to Wake Forest... TEXAS would have paid a reduced buyout amount to cancel existing contract (rumored $1-3mill) 

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Seems the fact there's no extension in the works is a given and Sexton has to know that.  Only two options- Ari Gold gtfo gif or come back for another year on original contract.  CDC would be crucified if he did an extension.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Not a cat said:

Seems the fact there's no extension in the works is a given and Sexton has to know that.  Only two options- Ari Gold gtfo gif or come back for another year on original contract.  CDC would be crucified if he did an extension.

The only way an extension makes sense is if CDC reworked the guaranteed money to be more friendly to Texas; for example, hand him 2 extra years but sliced the guaranteed money in half so they could part ways next year and owe him $0 instead of $3m. I don't know why Shaka would agree to that - particularly with Sexton as his agent - but it would answer the "I need this for recruiting purposes" piece without being a bad deal for Texas. With 2 years left on the deal, Shaka is now at the point where he's starting to recruit players who would show up after his current deal expires, so something needs to happen one way or the other.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

The only way an extension makes sense is if CDC reworked the guaranteed money to be more friendly to Texas; for example, hand him 2 extra years but sliced the guaranteed money in half so they could part ways next year and owe him $0 instead of $3m. I don't know why Shaka would agree to that - particularly with Sexton as his agent - but it would answer the "I need this for recruiting purposes" piece without being a bad deal for Texas. With 2 years left on the deal, Shaka is now at the point where he's starting to recruit players who would show up after his current deal expires, so something needs to happen one way or the other.

Or add two years, with the $7mill+ gty money the same but paid out over 4 years instead of two years. 

Shaka still has same guaranteed money with 4year contract ($15mill total) and bets on himself if he really wants to stay at TEXAS.

Year 3 could have an escalation clause and/or bonuses if Shaka meets certain performance results...

Edited by LTtxfan
Damn Autocorrect

i cannot stop noticing how seemingly every other team in the tourney moves the ball around, trying to set up a good shot- an open slasher to the basket, a mismatch in the post, a wide open catch-and-shoot three. such a stark contrast to these unbelievably low IQ possessions which are a staple of every Shaka Smart offense we've ever had. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

All that matters are march wins.  Shaka has zero.  Can't do worse than zero right?

Well, we could fail to make the tournament which Shaka has done twice.  But he hasn't been worth his contract by any measures.  

4 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

There were plenty of mistakes made, but I don't think Texas would have been helped by sending out the guy with the highest turnover rate on the team for more minutes against a team that loves taking charges.

playing Greg Brown wouldn't have helped us beat Abilene Christian? imagine yourself from 9 months ago hearing that sentence, and then realize what that says about Shaka. christ. 

but more specifically:

A)yes we would have been helped by having an actual rebounder out there, and b)Brown draws so many charges/turns the ball over because Shaka is empirically incapable of coaching bad habits out of his players. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i cannot stop noticing how seemingly every other team in the tourney moves the ball around, trying to set up a good shot- an open slasher to the basket, a mismatch in the post, a wide open catch-and-shoot three. such a stark contrast to these unbelievably low IQ possessions which are a staple of every Shaka Smart offense we've ever had. 

It’s pretty amazing. Our offensive philosophy is somehow worse than when my friends and I are playing pick up when we’re stoned and hungover

52 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Not just tourney teams. Take a look at any and every successful high school team in the state and they all move the ball around without as much ball stopping as our Shaka led fiasco does. From middle school to the NBA, the game of basketball has moved towards a player and ball movement game. Watching a guy dance with the ball and pound it into the court for 20 seconds at a time is becoming more and more of an anachronistic occurrence akin to seeing judges with white wigs on when you enter a courtroom. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Just like football (and seemingly every other sport), the game has evolved in favor of offense. Coaches like Bennett (I know we aren't getting him) and Beard field efficient offenses, but my preference is for a coach who's elite in offense and developing guards with competent defense over the reverse. Those teams are also more exciting to watch, even when they're not winning big.

• Hook 'Em 5

58 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Well, we could fail to make the tournament which Shaka has done twice.  But he hasn't been worth his contract by any measures.  

I see you neglect to mention that one of those years he missed the tourney was the one where he won the NIT and held the title for two years. That is almost equal to making the round of 32. Credit it where it's due. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

really?

they aren't going to make a few phone calls to try and get him a job to keep them from having to pay the full buyout?

really?!

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Just like football (and seemingly every other sport), the game has evolved in favor of offense. Coaches like Bennett (I know we aren't getting him) and Beard field efficient offenses, but my preference is for a coach who's elite in offense and developing guards with competent defense over the reverse. Those teams are also more exciting to watch, even when they're not winning big.

I think Leonard Hamilton at FSU has a fantastic formula that is very sustainable and is really appealing to recruits that want to make it to the NBA. Big, long athletic wings that can switch everything on defense and that have developable skills on offense. I am definitely on the offense 1st train of thought though, besides playing shit teams it felt like we had 5 minute stretches in literally every game going without a field goal/point. 

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Is there another Wright that you're talking about?

image.png.7edd8813a06bd4b3f21818b184309b10.png

Yes, the Jay Wright who turns down offers to interview for NBA jobs because he's at his dream job, that Jay Wright is going to come to Texas?

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Teryor said:

Yes, the Jay Wright who turns down offers to interview for NBA jobs because he's at his dream job, that Jay Wright is going to come to Texas?

Not saying the guy is coming here, just confused about the notion that the coach who has won two of the last four NCAA basketball championships is below our standard. He might be the best active coach in the sport. It'd be an absolute home run of a hire.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1