Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

14 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Not saying the guy is coming here, just confused about the notion that the coach who has won two of the last four NCAA basketball championships is below our standard. He might be the best active coach in the sport. It'd be an absolute home run of a hire.

It's not that he's below the Texas standard, it's that he's thoroughly not interested in leaving Nova and there's nothing Texas can offer that Nova can't match or beat. Maybe in 2015 it was possible (I doubt it, he was happy there back then too) but it's even less likely now.

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Just like football (and seemingly every other sport), the game has evolved in favor of offense. Coaches like Bennett (I know we aren't getting him) and Beard field efficient offenses, but my preference is for a coach who's elite in offense and developing guards with competent defense over the reverse. Those teams are also more exciting to watch, even when they're not winning big.

Same here and I can't echo it enough. An offensively minded coach has always been my preference. Defense is highly overrated and in the game of basketball it doesn't take a genius of a coach to be competent on that end of the court. Shit, with the amount of athletes this state produces defense will never be an issue. The true game changers are the guys who can elevate the IQ of their team and get them sharing the ball and moving with high level execution. 

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Same here and I can't echo it enough. An offensively minded coach has always been my preference. Defense is highly overrated and in the game of basketball it doesn't take a genius of a coach to be competent on that end of the court. Shit, with the amount of athletes this state produces defense will never be an issue. The true game changers are the guys who can elevate the IQ of their team and get them sharing the ball and moving with high level execution. 

Bring back the Runnin 'Horns! That's right, i said it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

And another and perhaps most important reason an offensively minded coach is important is we're a fanbase that really doesn't know the game for the most part. It's not our first love. Therefore to consistently place fans in seats, the product out there has to be enjoyable. Obviously on the court success is needed but god damn give me the shiny object of something that's actually fun to watch and support. 

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Admittedly I'm not super familiar with any off his off-court stuff. But the guy can coach.

It has nothing to do with off the court stuff either. 

It’s Jay Wright is at a university where he won 2 NCs and is in his home state.  He’s not realistic.  He’s not going anywhere.  If he was retired and was looking to get back into coaching (like UM) then that’s a different story.  Wright was probably a possibility before his NCs.  

I hope you aren’t drinking on the job Brad.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, bullzak said:

Give me some offense. Real offense, not this AAU street ball bullshit that breaks down in the tourney. Going to be really hard to win anything with 52-50 type scores anymore. 

What ever happened to the inside out game with a big man in the post who can take high percentage shots or dish out for open threes if double-teamed?

Edited by Jimbaround

14 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It has nothing to do with off the court stuff either. 

It’s Jay Wright is at a university where he won 2 NCs and is in his home state.  He’s not realistic.  He’s not going anywhere.  If he was retired and was looking to get back into coaching (like UM) then that’s a different story.  Wright was probably a possibility before his NCs.  

I hope you aren’t drinking on the job Brad.

Your post said "Wright shouldn't be on anyone's list".

Wright should be on everyone's list. Not my fault you made your point poorly.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Jimbaround said:

What ever happened to the inside out game with a big man in the post who can take high percentage shots or dish out for open threes if double-teamed?

Take a look at the teams that make Sweet Sixteen and you will usually see a ton of that. 

2 minutes ago, bullzak said:

Take a look at the teams that make Sweet Sixteen and you will usually see a ton of that. 

What? The only team that consistently plays like that in the Sweet Sixteen so far is Loyola with their mini-Jokic. Basically every other team that's made it so far, the guards are the focal points of their teams.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Your post said "Wright shouldn't be on anyone's list".

Wright should be on everyone's list. Not my fault you made your point poorly.

No my point was fine.  Wright shouldn’t be on anyone’s list because he’s not a realistic get. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Not sure I've ever rooted for destruction of a non-OU or aggy basketball team as hard as I'm rooting for ACU destruction. They annoy me and I don't want any excuses to keep Shaka around another year. I don't want to find out if CDC will try to use ACU beating UCLA or coming close as an excuse. Just destroy them please UCLA.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Not sure I've ever rooted for destruction of a non-OU or aggy basketball team as hard as I'm rooting for ACU destruction. They annoy me and I don't want any excuses to keep Shaka around another year. I don't want to find out if CDC will try to use ACU beating UCLA or coming close as an excuse. Just destroy them please UCLA.

No problem.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Just like football (and seemingly every other sport), the game has evolved in favor of offense. Coaches like Bennett (I know we aren't getting him) and Beard field efficient offenses, but my preference is for a coach who's elite in offense and developing guards with competent defense over the reverse. Those teams are also more exciting to watch, even when they're not winning big.

so Rick Pitino it is...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Admittedly I'm not super familiar with any off his off-court stuff. But the guy can coach.

Are you being obtuse for a reason? You don't contact Jay Wright because he's never coming to Texas, and why turn the process into a shit show like they did in baseball.

It's also unlike the previous 3 hires CDC has made at Texas, outside of the very public pursuit of Meyer which was him doing what the BMD's told him to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Fucking make the fucking hire as early as possible so we can get the transfers (grad and otherwise) in route as early as possible.  

Yep. This is a huge portal year. New coach needs to come in and be able to go get 4-5 guys out of the portal, because the current roster is likely going to be a mess for 2 years due to 1 man one and done 2020 class.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

So who are the best fits for your preference?? 

(Seems like coaches of Loyola Chicago, Oregon, and Arky are a fit right??)  

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Altman, Musselman and Moser all are better coaches.   It doesn’t even have to be limited to the big names or guys making a run this year, though.  Guys like Tad Boyle and others at his level are better coaches.  

I really don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say Shaka was only the 9th best coach in the 10 team Big 12 (Prohm really screwed the pooch at ISU).   You could pick a coaching name at random from any of the good basketball conferences and the odds are it would be a significant upgrade.  

As an on-court coach, Shaka is at 9th, and might even be 10th. Recruiting matters, though, which probably elevates him above Dixon (I want to add Weber, but he still managed to win the conference at KSU despite his recruiting indifference).

18 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yep. This is a huge portal year. New coach needs to come in and be able to go get 4-5 guys out of the portal, because the current roster is likely going to be a mess for 2 years due to 1 man one and done 2020 class.

Great point about increased portal numbers...

"What is the NCAA transfer portal? An explanation following Cincinnati, Xavier transfers"

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/university-of-cincinnati/2021/03/17/ncaa-transfer-portal-explanation-following-uc-xavier-transfers/4729926001/

"This week marked the beginning of what is expected to be the most transfer-heavy offseason for college basketball in recent memory, as upward of 1,500 players are expected to enter their names into the portal." 

Edit:  Link to Portal

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Season/2021-Basketball/TransferPortal/ 

Edited by LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

My only reservation with Beilein is if he actually wants to coach.

There was a reason he bolted UM when he did, and it had nothing to do with job security. Its ESPN, so take it with a grain of salt, but ....

Beilein has run model programs in college, free of scandal and impropriety. In recent years, he has become increasingly frustrated with the nature of college basketball recruiting and the retention of top players. The impending loss of Michigan freshman Ignas Brazdeikis, senior Charles Matthews and sophomore Jordan Poole to the NBA draft dented what might have been a national championship contender.

Dude is 68. He had enough issues with the college game that he left late in his career. Now we're supposed to believe he wants to dive right back into the college game. I think the guy is done, and even if he decides he can endure recruiting etc.... its not a gamble worth making, imo. 

I mean- ACU was the shiftiest team I saw in the entire tournament watching the first three days?  
and we managed to lose to them. 
I still- 48 hours later, as the original driver of the Shaka ain’t it bandwagon, can’t believe we lost to that fucking group of scrubs. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

ACU getting blown out by an 11 seed makes it really tough for Shaka to argue he lost to a great team

A mere gander at Saturday's boxscore already made it impossible to argue that. We lost to a garbage team playing at their D level. . 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Way to deliver the goods, Kirk. That's the kind of deep, insightful reporting that has made you a legend in your own mind for the past 40 years.

The situation that may take a while to sort out is how many trips back to the buffet Kurt is going to make tonight. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

CDC cannot keep this dude on campus. Sark could win a fucking national title next year and I'd still consider CDC a failure if he lets this guy coach another year here.

If Sark won the national title next year we could discontinue every other men's sport and nobody would give a fuck.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If Sark won the national title next year we could discontinue every other men's sport and nobody would give a fuck.

Lot of baseball fans here that would be mildly pissed. If that was the deal offered at the beginning of the year 99.9% of people would likely take it. 

• Hook 'Em 1