Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

51 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- ACU was the shiftiest team I saw in the entire tournament watching the first three days?  
and we managed to lose to them. 
I still- 48 hours later, as the original driver of the Shaka ain’t it bandwagon, can’t believe we lost to that fucking group of scrubs. 

Agreed. About half their team was surprisingly agile. 

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

CDC cannot keep this dude on campus. Sark could win a fucking national title next year and I'd still consider CDC a failure if he lets this guy coach another year here.

Lol no. 

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If Sark won the national title next year we could discontinue every other men's sport and nobody would give a fuck.

This is correct. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Altman, Musselman and Moser all are better coaches.  Beilein would be great, and I agree he makes the most sense since he’s clearly available.   It doesn’t even have to be limited to the big names or guys making a run this year, though.  Guys like Tad Boyle and others at his level are better coaches.  

I really don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say Shaka was only the 9th best coach in the 10 team Big 12 during his time here (Prohm really screwed the pooch at ISU, although you could argue Shaka was the worst since Prohm at least won tournament games at the beginning).   You could pick a coaching name at random from any of the good basketball conferences and the odds are it would be a significant upgrade.  

Those are obvious names, Mark Schmidt out of Saint Bonny has impressed me, those guys are almost always in the tourney and play way above their talent level, and there's something with Boston College not hiring him despite him being a local guy that should have gotten that job. Maybe he's holding out for something better? I also really like Paul Mills out of Oral Roberts. He's coaxed a couple high level players out of a school that literally has no business having any talent there whatsoever and has a fun modern offense. I don't think we go far enough down the list for them to factor but they should get looks.

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Let's be clear, UCLA would have won by 30 if Cronin hadn't put his foot on the brakes with 5 minutes left. 

wasn't Cronin one of the guys we were looking at when we went with Shakablah Experience.

19 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Lot of baseball fans here that would be mildly pissed. If that was the deal offered at the beginning of the year 99.9% of people would likely take it. 

Mildly? I’d be fucking furious 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Interesting offseason thread idea.

I say this on Lynne sue I’ve watched the greatest football national title ever with VY. I’m fine with a new experience now. Not because I inherently like college hoops more than college football. 

23 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i'd take the football team going .500 for a decade for a basketball title under our next coach. 

That's like a reverse Faustian bargain, but more akin to a fraternity ritual where your choices are drinking a jar Dikembe Mutomobo's ball sweat or being forced to be Scott Disick's personal assistant in perpetuity.

Edited by SizzleChest

46 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i'd take the football team going .500 for a decade for a basketball title under our next coach. 

34 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Me too. I think we are the only ones who would take this deal in our fan base. 

Yeah y'all can fuck right off with that shit. You think the 2010s was bad - Texas still went 14 games over .500 for the decade. 

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

No.  And it’s absurd that we feel like we have to choose.  We are allowed to be good at all of the sports at the same time.  See Mack, Rick, Augie for a brief period.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

wasn't Cronin one of the guys we were looking at when we went with Shakablah Experience.

Man some of these names are getting out of hand. Don't let the fact that a guy happens to be better than our shitty coach fool you into believing that he's in fact a good coach. 

Yeah, that is just the weirdest fucking thing I've ever seen with regard to college basketball.  Coach Smart could fuck up a cup of coffee, but apparently his former assistants are trying to outdo that?  I dunno.  That's just bizarre.  How the fuck is that even possible, honestly?  

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Me too. I think we are the only ones who would take this deal in our fan base. 

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, that is just the weirdest fucking thing I've ever seen with regard to college basketball.  Coach Smart could fuck up a cup of coffee, but apparently his former assistants are trying to outdo that?  I dunno.  That's just bizarre.  How the fuck is that even possible, honestly?  

Sometimes it’s better to learn from some idiot’s mistakes instead of a savant’s success.
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Bruins should not have been an 11 seed...

More like a 7 seed

They'd lost 6 of 10 coming into the tournament.

The Bruins are not a very good team.

Apparently they're about 21 points better than we are, though.

And yeah, I know the transitive property doesn't work that exactly in sports.  And I don't care.  The Bruins are a completely mediocre team and they just embarrassed the team that embarrassed us.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s amazing. 

Not really. Good coaches immediately recognize what a train wreck the program is under Shaka and get out of there as fast as possible. They just came for the money. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

They'd lost 6 of 10 coming into the tournament.

The Bruins are not a very good team.

Apparently they're about 21 points better than we are, though.

And yeah, I know the transitive property doesn't work that exactly in sports.  And I don't care.  The Bruins are a completely mediocre team and they just embarrassed the team that embarrassed us.

Transitive property doesn’t work bc UCLA would beat us by 15 points at least 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Not really. Good coaches immediately recognize what a train wreck the program is under Shaka and get out of there as fast as possible. They just came for the money. 

Yeah. But they have to get hired. Somewhere else. As a head coach. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah. But they have to get hired. Somewhere else. As a head coach. 

Texas pays enough to get a good coach to come. Shaka doesn’t run a program well enough to keep them very long. 

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

If you've ever had a terrible boss you end up spending a lot of time thinking about how you could do his job better. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

Carriers very little weight IMO due to their bias. Not saying Ivey couldn’t be a good coach, but they are biased due to his affiliation with UT and friendships. 

They've known that Shaka is ass my dude for 4 years.  So, I guess that's bias too.

15 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

They'd lost 6 of 10 coming into the tournament.    The Bruins are not a very good team.

UCLA's 3 wins in 2021 NCAA Tourney might say differently.  Also of the 6 losses mentioned, 2 losses were to USC, and 3 of the losses were to Ducks, Beavers, and Buffalos -- and all 4 of those teams made it into the field of 64 of the Tournament.

Sweet 16

• Bruins
  • Beavers
  • Ducks
  • USC*  (maybe)

*USC currently beating KU 40-21 at half

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s amazing. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

52 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Sometimes it’s better to learn from some idiot’s mistakes instead of a savant’s success.

49 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Coach K at the bottom of the list, Shaka at the top. Interesting.

27 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

But K has an NBA coach, too .. Quin Snyder.

That list is from 2008 on. Krzyzkewski's had a shitload of guys become head coaches, just not for "the first time" if you limit it to happening since 2008. Tommy Amaker's still coaching, Mike Brey, Jeff Capel, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Coaches in the Shaka Smart Coaching tree:

• Jamion Christian (Assistant at VCU - 1 season) - HC at Mt. St. Mary's, Siena, GW - lifetime losing record
  • Luke Yaklich - (UT assistant - 1 season) - HC at Illinois Chicago - 9-13 this year 
  • Mike Jones -  (VCU assistant - 2 seasons) - HC at Radford for 10 seasons; 1 NCAA berth; 53% win pct
  • Mike Morrell - (VCU/UT - 7 seasons) - HC at UNC Asheville for 3 seasons; 35% win pct
  • Mike Rhoades - (Assistant at VCU from 2009-2014) - HC at Rice 3 seasons (48%), coach at VCU since 2017 (4 yrs, 65%, 1 NCAA berth)
  • Will Wade - (Assistant at VCU 2009-2013) - HC at Chattanooga 2 years, VCU 2 years (succeeded Smart), 4 years at LSU; 67% total win pct, 4 tourney visits in 8 possible years

Aside from Wade, the above list is not that impressive.  Each of the guys who got head coaching jobs at VCU did well while they were there.  Wade stands out, though, but he's been the subject of several recruiting-related investigations.  He was suspended for ~1 month after the FBI wiretap exposed him "offering" a recruit.  He still has a job though.  Why?  LSU.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

UCLA's 3 wins in 2021 NCAA Tourney might say differently.  Also of the 6 losses mentioned, 2 losses were to USC, and 3 of the losses were to Ducks, Beavers, and Buffalos -- and all 4 of those teams made it into the field of 64 of the Tournament.

Sweet 16

• Bruins
  • Beavers
  • Ducks
  • USC*  (maybe)

*USC currently beating KU 40-21 at half

Fine, let's give UCLA credit for beating BYU since the Mormons were just inside the Top 25 and say that UCLA is now 1-5 in their last 6 games against good teams.

If your counter to the premise that UCLA is not very good is to point to the fact that they're in the Sweet 16, well, they only had to beat one pretty good team and two shitty ones, and Oral Roberts is also in the Sweet 16.  And if you want to argue that the only reason UCLA lost a bunch of games recently is because they played a bunch of good teams, well, you're making my point.  Teams that aren't very good lose a lot to teams that are.

I'm just saying that it's embarrassing that a team as mediocre as UCLA was able to completely manhandle the team that upset us and get themselves a gift appearance in the Sweet 16.  It's a traveshamockery and Shaka ought to retire from coaching in shame.  That's all.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

UCLA is fine. @Sbbruinwill be the first to tell you that this isn't a particularly great team by their (admittedly high) standards.

Yeah, we don’t have a single senior on the team except for Chris Smith who was lost for the season.  No legit NBA talent.  Lost a 5 star to the G-league.  Cronin recruiting at a high level.  The program is in good hands and on the right trajectory.  But no, this isn’t a very talented team.  But a very good team.  They play together and with a ton of effort.

yeah, and as was pointed out, lost to SC (buzzer beater), Oregon, CU and Oregon St (in OT) down the stretch.  Those teams have proven themselves to be pretty good.