Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

27 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Got bored and looked up some Marquette message boards last night.  More of that fanbase is a fan of Shaka than I expected.  The latest was they were going hard after Moser, but if they like Shaka then...

giphy.gif

Moser getting back to the S16 earned him a much bigger gig than Marquette. They should be happy to have Shaka fall into their lap

47 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Got bored and looked up some Marquette message boards last night.  More of that fanbase is a fan of Shaka than I expected.  The latest was they were going hard after Moser, but if they like Shaka then...

giphy.gif

We should go to their boards and encourage the move.

"Shaka is PERFECT for you! You would be so lucky to have him!"

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, The Dog said:

They would be!  He'd get them in the tournament most of the time, he'd graduate players, no off the court scandals, no NCAA violations.

Come on Marquette, he's great.  Bring the man home! 

Anyone concerned about getting 

13 hours ago, Deej said:

And you get a raise, and you get a raise, and you get a raise...

Happy So Excited GIF

And that's a bad thing how?

We should call every top-tier coach and make a serious offer.  In the best case, we get a top-tier coach.  In the worst case, we get rejected and the coach gets a salary increase.  Forcing our opponents to pay more for the same level of service hurts their competitiveness, because they can't spend that money on more productive things to compete against us. 

Look, this is basketball.  We are underdogs, and we should behave like it.  Get out there in the market and fucking scrap.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Ultimate Failure said:

We should call every top-tier coach and make a serious offer.  In the best case, we get a top-tier coach.  In the worst case, we get rejected and the coach gets a salary increase.  Forcing our opponents to pay more for the same level of service hurts their competitiveness, because they can't spend that money on more productive things to compete against us. 

Look, this is basketball.  We are underdogs, and we should behave like it.  Get out there in the market and fucking scrap.

You can get out in the market without ending up looking like dumbasses when you don't get your man, or the next 3 or 4 down the list. I'm not sure when it became a thing to make every aspect of a coaching search as public as possible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Deej said:

You can get out in the market without ending up looking like dumbasses when you don't get your man, or the next 3 or 4 down the list. I'm not sure when it became a thing to make every aspect of a coaching search as public as possible. 

How does making an offer and being rejected "make you look like a dumbass"?

27 minutes ago, Pancho said:

giphy.gif

Moser getting back to the S16 earned him a much bigger gig than Marquette. They should be happy to have Shaka fall into their lap

35 minutes ago, Ultimate Failure said:

Fantastic post-username alignment

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ultimate Failure said:

How does making an offer and being rejected "make you look like a dumbass"?

Nobody needs to see and know when you are getting down to your 4th and 5th choice. You know damned good and well that shit will get used against us in recruiting, media will claim we're a cesspool, etc., and then everyone around here acts like their pets' heads are falling off even more. Just fucking get the shit done behind the scenes like a competent athletic department. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Deej said:

Nobody needs to see and know when you are getting down to your 4th and 5th choice. You know damned good and well that shit will get used against us in recruiting, media will claim we're a cesspool, etc., and then everyone around here acts like their pets' heads are falling off even more. Just fucking get the shit done behind the scenes like a competent athletic department. 

It's like no one remembers the Mack replacement search or the Augie replacement search.   

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Already a dozen viable options should be ready to go. You actually increase that the available candidates the sooner you announce the decision.

False. You get your list, and decide who you want to interview. Then you call all of their agents and say "If the Texas job opened up tomorrow, would Beard/Altman/Musselman/Moser/Few/etc. be interested?"

No agent or coach would be dumb enough to say "Give me a ring AFTER you fire Shaka, and then we'll talk." 

200.gif

13 hours ago, markstanco said:
14 hours ago, maninblack said:
I don't know about the availability of guys like Beard, Musselman, Altman, etc. but if Royal Ivey will say yes you announce him ASAP.

Their availability is zero right now. Ivey would obviously say yes today. Which is a dumb hire. He needs to sit on the bench at a college for a few years.

How's that working out for Juwan Howard? Oh, he's got Michigan as #1 seed and into the Sweet 16?

• Hook 'Em 3

Yeah, the person who said they wouldn't express interest in the job until Shaka is fired...

That's not how CDC is operating.  He's going to go through agents and back channels to gauge interest - vacancy or not.  It's actually going to determine if he has a viable replacement before he makes the move. 

It's not going to be a basketball search in the public eye.  There will be message board bullshit about potential candidates and FCB spewing nonsense and bullshit, but very likely CDC does all this in his office, announces either Shaka is moving on to a new school or has been relived of his duties, and then *BAM* - new coach PC 2-3 days later. 

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Hepa, Liddell, Baker, Hamm, and Williams should all have been getting PT this year to prepare for next year, when every one of them to a man would be counted on for a much bigger role than they'd previously had. instead Shaka mysteriously left all of them out of his llama for this year, and now all of them (save Hepa) have jumped off the sinking ship. 

outstanding fucking work Shaka. Sleeper Cell Shaka Smart. killing the program from the inside.

It seems plausible, particularly since he seems to be good at diving into the floor. 

Current players and former Horns in NBA signal that he sucks, his NCAA record says he sucks, millions into the Texas Coaching Event Horizon. 

17 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Some other names to consider. Some probably are terrible ideas, and most probably wouldn't leave their current positions:

Billy Donovan - not leaving the NBA
Greg McDermott - he sucks ass, just ask ISU fans
Thad Matta - unsure on health issues
Mark Turgeon - not interested in someone Maryland wants to fire
Jay Wright - 2 NCs at Villanova, he ain't leaving
Brad Stevens - not leaving the NBA
Larry Krystkowiak - the guy who was just fired and hasn't made the tournament since 2016?
Ed Cooley - the guy who hasn't made the tournament since 2018? 3 first round losses, a First Four loss and 1 NCAA win?
Mark Few - lmao

Jesus Christ.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Some other names to consider. Some probably are terrible ideas, and most probably wouldn't leave their current positions:

Billy Donovan
Greg McDermott
Thad Matta
Mark Turgeon
Jay Wright
Brad Stevens
Larry Krystkowiak
Ed Cooley
Mark Few

This is excellent satire.

• Hook 'Em 2

Nope. Reverse psychology.

“No way Shaka even considers Marquette. You don’t go from Texas in Austin, Texas to Marquette in fucking Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He’s an awesome coach on the brink of a breakthrough. He’s helping us get a new arena. NBA ballers falling from trees. We’re not worried.”
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

How many pages do we need to see mark few on it? He’s not even a option and it’s dumb as duck to ever include him. If you’re gonna put few down why don’t you add coach k and Roy Williams?

What, you wouldn't leave the area of the country you grew up in and the school you have been at for 31 years to go to Texas?!?!? 🤣

Born in Oregon, went to Linfield College (in Oregon) and University of Oregon, then coached HS ball in Oregon before moving to Spokane.  He's been there since 1989. 

59 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It's like no one remembers the Mack replacement search or the Augie replacement search.   

More accurately it's like lots of people are able not to care about things that don't matter. I mean, hell, half his reason for saying it matters is that he doesn't want to hear whining from maudlin internet posters. Does that sound like something that actually matters to you? 

Caring more about appearances than results is a big part of the problem. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Marquette is the type of program Moser would want--no football so basketball is king.  Easier conference too.  There's been chatter that there's mutual interest.  He's from that area so if he did get a "bigger" job, it wouldn't surprise me if it's Marquette or DePaul.  I don't see him walking into the mess that is Indiana. The name for that job that I've seen a lot lately is Calbert Cheaney. 

22 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Marquette is the type of program Moser would want--no football so basketball is king.  Easier conference too.  There's been chatter that there's mutual interest.  He's from that area so if he did get a "bigger" job, it wouldn't surprise me if it's Marquette or DePaul. 

DePaul is a shitty job. They just arent committed to sports. Built a new arena nobody can get to. 

I can see Marquette for Moser if he wants to build a small conference dynasty. He could do it. 

Marquette buddy of mine says Smart wont happen as he evidently pissed off the AD and BMD by bailing on a handshake agreement to go there when the UT job opened up. That will be 9.95 etc. 

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This week's Everyone Gets a Trophy with Scipio Tex and Kevin Dunn is pretty scathing. "Shaka can't be an analyst, because he doesn't know anything about basketball". 

Kevin said his contacts from Shaka's earlier teams said no one respected him.

Updated odds that players stay.  Man this looks shitty.  I'm assuming we are going to hit the transfer portal hard.  Otherwise, this looks like the worst team in the Big-12 (and maybe the last 25 years of Texas basketball). 

Starters:

• Courtney Ramey - 95% - I can't imagine he would leave given that he will get unlimited shots next year
  • Tamar Bates - 100% - Welcome to the starting lineup
  • Brock Cunningham - 99% - I'm guessing we start him at the 3 and go "big"
  • Kamaka Hepa - 80% - He should get a big up-tick in minutes next year and will be an important piece
  • David Joplin - 100% - Could get 20+ minutes off the bench depending on our forward depth

Bench:

• Emarion Ellis - 100% - Could be a 2-3 year project before we get significant contribution
  • Keeyan Itejere - 100% - Hopefully he another diamond in the rough like Jaxson Hayes or Kai Jones. 

Probably Gone:

• Andrew Jones - 50% - My guess is he goes to the NBA-DL or Europe. Nothing to gain by another year 
  • Jase Febres - 40% - Bumping down to 40% due to senior night indications
  • Greg Brown - 15% - Stock has taken a bit of a hit. Will get tons of usage next year if he stays.
  • Matt Coleman - 10% - There is a chance he returns to help Shaka save his job.
  • Jericho Sims - 10% - Think he will go try to make money somewhere
  • Kai Jones - 1% - He is projected anywhere from 10-22 in the draft and he is a soph.  He gone.

Gone:

• Donovan Williams - 0% - 95% - Ouch. This is a terrible loss, even though he wasn't great this year.
  • Royce Hamm - 0% - 35% - As expected. I can't fault anyone for leaving once they have earned their degree.  
  • Will Baker - 0% - I suspect he will turn into an all-conference type player some day.
  • Greg Liddell - 0% - We are also going to ultimately miss him when he contributes for someone else

I suppose there is still a 1 / 1000 chance that Andrew Jones, Matt Coleman and Jericho Sims all come back to try to save Shaka's job.  VERY unlikely though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Updated odds that players stay.  Man this looks shitty.  I'm assuming we are going to hit the transfer portal hard.  Otherwise, this looks like the worst team in the Big-12 (and maybe the last 25 years of Texas basketball). 

Starters:

• Courtney Ramey - 95% - I can't imagine he would leave given that he will get unlimited shots next year
  • Kamaka Hepa - 80% - He should get a big up-tick in minutes next year and will be an important piece
  • David Joplin - 100% - Could get 20+ minutes off the bench depending on our forward depth

Bench:

• Emarion Ellis - 100% - Could be a 2-3 year project before we get significant contribution
  • Keeyan Itejere - 100% - Hopefully he another diamond in the rough like Jaxson Hayes or Kai Jones. 

Probably Gone:

• Andrew Jones - 50% - My guess is he goes to the NBA-DL or Europe. Nothing to gain by another year 
  • Greg Brown - 15% - Stock has taken a bit of a hit. Will get tons of usage next year if he stays.
  • Kai Jones - 1% - He is projected anywhere from 10-22 in the draft and he is a soph.  He gone.

Gone:

• Donovan Williams - 0% - 95% - Ouch. This is a terrible loss, even though he wasn't great this year.
  • Royce Hamm - 0% - 35% - As expected. I can't fault anyone for leaving once they have earned their degree.  
  • Will Baker - 0% - I suspect he will turn into an all-conference type player some day.
  • Greg Liddell - 0% - We are also going to ultimately miss him when he contributes for someone else

I suppose there is still a 1 / 1000 chance that Andrew Jones, Matt Coleman and Jericho Sims all come back to try to save Shaka's job.  VERY unlikely though.

I mean, why would they be more successful next year than they were this year? If I were all them I'd come back b/c I have to  imagine it's way more awesome to be a college basketball player at Texas than it is to be making $100k a year playing minor league baseball in out of the way places when nobody gives a shit about you, but I'm sure they all think that they can overcome the odds and make it to the NBA.  

23 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Starters:

Bench:

Probably Gone:

Gone:

Who? 

41 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This week's Everyone Gets a Trophy with Scipio Tex and Kevin Dunn is pretty scathing. "Shaka can't be an analyst, because he doesn't know anything about basketball". 

Yep. That was good stuff. On the flip side, anyone listen to the latest "Pretend We're Football" podcast? Tim Preston, also of Inside Texas, said this is word for word: 

"I think Shaka can win here." (25:06)

Followed immediately by:

"I think we need better guards." (25:10)

That was his second most offensive take: blaming Kerwin Roach, Matt Coleman, Andrew Jones, and Courtney Ramey for not being "close to good enough," whilst assigning zero blame to our former guard and head coach in charge of coaching the guards. The best he could muster in the form of not blaming the players was tepidly opining that maybe it's some vague issue with "progress." (Starts around 39:30). 

Tim's performance was the Texas loss to Abilene Christian of podcast performances. Fascinating listen if you want to hear from the last Shaka apologist left on Earth.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Marquette is the type of program Moser would want--no football so basketball is king.  Easier conference too.  There's been chatter that there's mutual interest.  He's from that area so if he did get a "bigger" job, it wouldn't surprise me if it's Marquette or DePaul.  I don't see him walking into the mess that is Indiana. The name for that job that I've seen a lot lately is Calbert Cheaney. 

Think a Final 4 again this year would get him a shot at Duke or UNC and maybe even Kansas when/if the open up within a couple years? They have Football but basketball is king there. 

UNC likes to keep it in the family so I'd be surprised they would go outside of it, not sure who's in/on the UNC coaching tree they could nab.  I'm hoping for Hubert Davis myself. Duke may very well do the same unless Stevens decides to get back into college coaching, he'd be perfect there imo.  Personally, I'd like to see guys like Moser follow the Few footprint and stay where they're at and build something even bigger.