Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

Year two was a shit stain any which way you slice it. Year 3 wasn't horrible, but given the hype involving yet another star studded recruitment class consisting of 4/5 star players it amounted to a dud in my opinion. Shaka beat a shitty ISU team in the conference tourney which isn't anything to thump your chest about and choked away what was a certain win in the NCAA tourney. He hasn't  won a single game in the NCAA tourney in 3 seasons coaching here and given all the recent defections I don't see why that'll change next season.

I highly recommend everyone adopt the delusional unwarranted mindset that I am applying to the b-ball team for next year - Texas will be great and make the sweet sixteen. That way you don’t have to face reality for a whole off-season. Works well for all sports, in fact. 

Irrespective of anyone's feelings about someone else, it is a fucking bitchass move to come over here and steal another dude's handle. If that is what The Flagship did to Derka, he should be fucking banned/negged/whatever the fuck. I hate that kind of spineless shit and it's entirely indicative of a whole subsegment of fuckheads inside the Shaggy/Surly culture. 

What do you expect from a welcher Ranger fan
  • Like 1

I think that when evaluating a coach that's had 3 years to show what kind of program he's capable of building you have to look at the evolution of the players (that stay) within the scheme. Not a single guy truly thrived this year. Spurts here and there from Young and Roach. Also AJ before he went out. These kids, try as they might, were far too often, headless chickens. The amount of games that I watched an unprepared team take the floor and be outplayed and outcoached at nearly every facit of the game was unacceptable. And next year  could potentially ruin recruitment for a few years..... But on the bright side, I just saved 15% on my car insurance

I'd say start bringing in big guads. Since the small guards we've been recruiting cant shoot for shit. I think Texas regardless who the coach is, needs to start signing those types of players instead of the brick layers.

Or bring in some shooters that can burn the nets.....cuz lately the Big12 knows we cant shoot our way back into a game.

6 hours ago, RandomIdoit said:

I can't believe Shaka took his team to a final 4 and then he puts out these kind of teams here with better players.

Yeah but to be fair that Final 4 team had 11 regular season losses and and finished 4th in the Colonial Athletic Association. Fourth. In the CAA. They were the most controversial at-large bid probably ever. And I’m pretty sure he had three NBA players on that team. That one tourney run has stretched further than Shaka ever deserved. 

6 hours ago, Godzillatron said:

Probably been discussed here already, but why, after 3 years, does Smart not have the personnel recruited to play the "havoc" style that made him so successful and got him the job? 

Shaka said from the beginning that he wasn’t going to run Havoc here, despite the early “Havoc is coming to Texas” exclamations. He said in 2015 that the Big XII was a different league and that he would be playing differently. He tried to play inside-out through Ridley and then Allen- but I don’t even know what he calls the offense we ran last year. He’s the coaching equivalent of a mobile QB who wants to prove to everybody that he can be a pocket passer. It’s pretty stupid, both on his part and especially on the part of the people who hired him. 

17 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Yeah but to be fair that Final 4 team had 11 regular season losses and and finished 4th in the Colonial Athletic Association. Fourth. In the CAA. They were the most controversial at-large bid probably ever. And I’m pretty sure he had three NBA players on that team. That one tourney run has stretched further than Shaka ever deserved. 

i count 1: troy daniels.

hope u cant be right--------if he works out it will be a miracle !!ITS A MIRACLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   He is not the man   ------He proved it by bringing in  that one year not a wonder ___________________________________________________We all felt good about it but  we see how that feel good worked out 

Guest Guest
4 hours ago, joe dillon said:

hope u cant be right--------if he works out it will be a miracle !!ITS A MIRACLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   He is not the man   ------He proved it by bringing in  that one year not a wonder ___________________________________________________We all felt good about it but  we see how that feel good worked out 

Are you fucking retarded?

4 hours ago, joe dillon said:

Snax?

On 4/2/2018 at 3:54 PM, joe dillon said:

What does this even mean?

Some people clearly need reminding. Shaka Smart is the guy who:

•Brought a bunch of no-experience, subpar assistant coaches and then kept recycling them for one another as if that would change things

•Inexplicably clears out all of his players during crucial trips to the FT line

•Refused to use his bench during non-con to the point of literally conceding the victory against Duke in embarrassing fashion

•Employs a team full of athletes, non-shooters and combo guards, then runs an offense designed for guys to create their own shot/shoot a bunch of threes

•Got this job based on his exploits running Havoc, has refused to even try Havoc despite poor results 

•Has coached more talent than any other coach in this league during his time here yet has gone 50-50 (23-31) in his three years

•Purposely employed Dylan Osetkowski as his #1 in USG, FGA (.400), and 3PA (.288)

•Last won a tourney game 6 seasons ago

He fucking sucks, and anyone who not only defends him but swears up and down that he is doing a good job is a lunatic.

Edited by Goo Punch

Guest earbucket

He's also the guy who...

• Took a team that had quit on its previous coach to the tournament even when its best player broke his foot during the middle of the season. 
  • Convinced the point guard who was dead set on leaving after a shit stain of a season to come back and play.
  • Recruited Allen and Jones. Jones was set on going elsewhere.  Allen improved greatly during the season.
  • Took a gamble on a talented but troubled small forward. It didn't work out.
  • Signed grad transfer Isom who ended up barely playing due to injury.
  • Recruited Coleman and Bamba.
  • Took team to tournament.  Dealt with Jones season ending condition, Roach's broken hand, Bamba's hurt toe and Davis' presumed ineligibility.
  • Recruited Hepa, Liddell, Hayes and Cunningham. 
  • Recruiting Ramey and grad transfers Cremo, Amin and maybe others.

Am I happy with Smart? No.  Would I prefer someone else? Yes.  But he doesn't deserve to be fired yet.

Questions:  Who is responsible for poor shooting?  The players or the coaches?  Davis, Roach and Yancey shot from 3 in Smart's first year, 38%, 33% and 41%.  I would say all of these were catch and shoot situations due to Taylor.  Taylor shot 31% from 3.  Without Taylor--Davis, Roach and Yancey shot 26%, 28% and 30% in the 2016-17 season.  This year, Davis and Roach shot 35% and 36% with Coleman playing pg.   I'd say it's the responsibility of the player as well as the coach.

Are the coaches to blame when time after time, Davis follows his own guy after a switch and leaves a shooter open?  Yes, but if the player keeps doing it then something is seriously wrong.

Stopped reading after the first line. Those guys loved Barnes and never quit on him. Totally uninformed take, and one that I’ve heard from camelback over and over. Gee, I wonder who just typed up that post. Just register already.

Edited by Goo Punch

Guest earbucket

From USA Today...

Texas brought back almost everybody from last year's team that reached the second round of the NCAAs. It also signed coveted Dallas-area prospect Myles Turner. But the season started poorly, with the dismissal of guard Martez Walker, and sputtered during league play, with the Longhorns fortunate to make the NCAAs with a late regular-season push.

From ESPN...

Barnes was thought to be on the hot seat heading into the 2013-14 season, but a 24-11 record and NCAA tournament appearance won him an extension. With several key players returning and the addition of five-star center Myles Turner, Texas was picked by some to win the Big 12 this season and was ranked No. 10 in the preseason Associated Press poll.

However, the Longhorns backed their way into the NCAA tournament before getting bounced in the round of 64. They finished 20-14 overall and 8-10 in the Big 12 -- tied for sixth in the league standings.

From DMN...

Despite returning all five of its starters from the previous season, and adding Turner, the Longhorns capped off a disappointing season with a first round loss to Butler in the NCAA Tournament. The loss marks the seventh consecutive season in which Barnes has failed to lead Texas past the first weekend of the Tourney.

From Barnes...

“It’s been a long winter,” he said, the circles around his eyes evident as he watched the Butler players and coaches follow him into the interview room, after the Bulldogs had beaten 11th-seeded Texas, 56-48. “It’s a good group of kids, but we haven’t shot it well all year and we haven’t made plays at the end of games. You don’t win that way.”

Choose to believe what you believe.

You think that newspaper clippings about that team’s struggles proves that they quit? Camel stop. By that logic Shaka’s second team at Texas All quit on him too. Disappointing season = the players quit on the coach. No. Not only was it self evident that those guys never quit on Barnes (Holland, Yancy, Turner etc quitting? Seriously?), I know enough of them and have spoken to enough of them to know that nobody quit on Rick Barnes. It’s an insulting insinuation towards those players and their character. Now quit being a bitch and actually sign up under whatever version of cameltoe you’re going with these days. Quit being such a coward.

Guest earbucket

You are right, I've seen the light.  Those players didn't quit on Barnes, Barnes just did a shitty job with them.

1 hour ago, Guest earbucket said:

You are right, I've seen the light.  Those players didn't quit on Barnes, Barnes just did a shitty job with them.

Allow me to express my incredulity at your facetious tone. Barnes shitting the bed is exactly what happened. He did have a couple of players seemingly quit on him over his career, but that last crew didn’t feature any of them.

Edited by Goo Punch

21 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Taylor was fed up and set to leave but came back to play for Shaka. Oddly enough, Shaka wasn’t prepared for Taylor to leave the next season. The mismanaged rosters across the Big 3 sports are infuriating 

Taylor wanting to leave had nothing to do with being fed up. He tested the waters like everyone else does and came back when it was clear that was the thing to do. That move was par for the course with Isaiah Taylor. We’re talking about the guy who moved from the Bay Area to Houston because he believed in himself. He wanted to go pro as soon as possible because he believed in himself. Rick Barnes was the guy who gave him an opportunity to showcase his skills at a high major school in the first place. The idea that he tested the waters because of some ill will towards Barnes is baseless.

Edited by Goo Punch

23 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

He came back to Texas because we changed coaches. 

This is false, and nonsensical to begin with. He came back to Texas because he was nowhere near ready to go pro. 

Edited by Goo Punch

11 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Jesus guy, that article doesn’t say a single thing about Taylor not liking Barnes. It doesn’t even mention Barnes. It says that Taylor thought about leaving after his sophomore year but that Shaka convinced him to stay, again, with zero mention of Barnes. 

Just stop already with this dumb shit. How many different articles have you googled and cited? 5? And none of them said a word that backed up your story. I’m not arguing with you any more. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Derka,how long does it take to put the clown makeup on everyday?

What do you think this means? It was text written extremely softy....if you’re too stupid to understand just say so. He knew he couldn’t turn pro but tried anyway? That’s your stance? Do you remember Barnes benching him against Baylor only to call on him at the end to win? He played 15 fucking minutes. 

The 6-2, 180-pound point guard from Hayward, Calif., nearly turned pro the year before, after his sophomore season. But the arrival of coach Shaka Smart convinced him to stay one more season with the Longhorns.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

On 4/7/2018 at 9:24 AM, Guest earbucket said:

He's also the guy who...

• Took a team that had quit on its previous coach to the tournament even when its best player broke his foot during the middle of the season. 
  • Convinced the point guard who was dead set on leaving after a shit stain of a season to come back and play.
  • Recruited Allen and Jones. Jones was set on going elsewhere.  Allen improved greatly during the season.
  • Took a gamble on a talented but troubled small forward. It didn't work out.
  • Signed grad transfer Isom who ended up barely playing due to injury.
  • Recruited Coleman and Bamba.
  • Took team to tournament.  Dealt with Jones season ending condition, Roach's broken hand, Bamba's hurt toe and Davis' presumed ineligibility.
  • Recruited Hepa, Liddell, Hayes and Cunningham. 
  • Recruiting Ramey and grad transfers Cremo, Amin and maybe others.

Am I happy with Smart? No.  Would I prefer someone else? Yes.  But he doesn't deserve to be fired yet.

Questions:  Who is responsible for poor shooting?  The players or the coaches?  Davis, Roach and Yancey shot from 3 in Smart's first year, 38%, 33% and 41%.  I would say all of these were catch and shoot situations due to Taylor.  Taylor shot 31% from 3.  Without Taylor--Davis, Roach and Yancey shot 26%, 28% and 30% in the 2016-17 season.  This year, Davis and Roach shot 35% and 36% with Coleman playing pg.   I'd say it's the responsibility of the player as well as the coach.

Are the coaches to blame when time after time, Davis follows his own guy after a switch and leaves a shooter open?  Yes, but if the player keeps doing it then something is seriously wrong.

Arguing your individual bullet points aside, I count 2 bullet points that actually talk about (or imply) a good W/L. 2 out of 9 "positives" actually mean something.

I don't care who he recruits successfully or not. I care about wins. And three years into the experiment and the best our most (arguably) optimistic board member can come up with is 2 bullet points speaking to W/L success.

Well, hello, all. Glad to see some many posters have migrated to the new site. It's going to be fun. 

This may have already been stated, but should Shaka's VCU story be more about his miraculous Final Four run or more that his team only came in as an 11th seed?   

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic