Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

So how many consecutive losses in 2020 to start B12 Conference will cause CDC to fire Shaka in-season??

Would love to see Shaka fired with 2nd half of 2020 B12 Conference games still left to play.  Maybe Feb 1st or Feb 3rd will be Shaka's final game coaching Texas...

On board.  Winning here shouldn’t be hard.  SS did well at VCU dealing chip on ur shoulder athletes. We don’t get many of those here.   

Go read Derka’s posts on his VCU tenure. It wasn’t that great and the Texas admin should have been able to see that.

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Go read Derka’s posts on his VCU tenure. It wasn’t that great and the Texas admin should have been able to see that.

Derka is biased though; I was at the SA VCU trip to the FF they looked well coached.  As to the rest of his tenure, I got nothing..

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

it was kind of shocking to see (after the fact) that Capel, Grant, and Wade all did better at VCU than Shaka Smart did, save the lone FF run. by the time i had done one hour's worth of research on his time at VCU i was shocked at how underwhelming he was on paper. huge swing-and-a-miss on the part of our athletic department. everyone dropped the ball on this one. i can't imagine how little vetting and research they actually did on him. it's crazy. 

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

it was kind of shocking to see (after the fact) that Capel, Grant, and Wade all did better at VCU than Shaka Smart did, save the lone FF run. by the time i had done one hour's worth of research on his time at VCU i was shocked at how underwhelming he was on paper. huge swing-and-a-miss on the part of our athletic department. everyone dropped the ball on this one. i can't imagine how little vetting and research they actually did on him. it's crazy. 

Advancing a PC culture ahead of clear thinking is what UT does. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 3

7 minutes ago, SDG said:

Derka is biased though; I was at the SA VCU trip to the FF they looked well coached.  As to the rest of his tenure, I got nothing..

nah, he seriously wasn't anything special aside from that one postseason run. and remember, his team was decried as the unanimous worst team to ever be allowed into the tourney. the espn guys (especially Bilas) we're beside themselves when VCU got an at-large bid considering they had double digit losses, finished 4th in their conference, didn't win their conference tourney, and finished the season something like 3-5. and that was his ONE crowning achievement; having a pretty fucking bad regular season with a final four caliber team. his CV said he was nowhere near what he was made out to be when we hired him, but we obviously didn't pay too much attention turn to that. 

Edited by Goo Punch

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

nah, he seriously wasn't anything special aside from that one postseason run. and remember, his team was decried as the unanimous worst team to ever be allowed into the tourney. the espn guys (especially Bilas) we're beside themselves when VCU got an at-large bid considering they had double digit losses, finished 4th in their conference, didn't win their conference tourney, and finished the season something like 3-5. and that was his ONE crowning achievement; having a pretty fucking bad regular season with a final four caliber team. his CV said he was nowhere near what he was made out to be when we hired him, but we obviously didn't pay too much attention turn to that. 

I Agree with you 100% Shaka needs to go, but my bias point stands.  

28 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Advancing a PC culture ahead of clear thinking is what UT does. 

This is the type of bullshit that I get tired of. Why do one of you fuckboys always have an incessant need to take it here? Regardless of what hindsight investigation drums out 5 years later the prevailing view at the time was that he was a hot commodity who everyone with an open job was going after. What tha fuck does that have to do with PC culture. This trash ass, revisionist view to that every black person only gets his job because of some sort of make good is complete and utter bullshit. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 9

25 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This is the type of bullshit that I get tired of. Why do one of you fuckboys always have an incessant need to take it here? Regardless of what hindsight investigation drums out 5 years later the prevailing view at the time was that he was a hot commodity who everyone with an open job was going after. What tha fuck does that have to do with PC culture. This trash ass, revisionist view to that every black person only gets his job because of some sort of make good is complete and utter bullshit. 

Precisely.  Shaka's hiring at Texas had nothing to do with race or color.  He was hired because he was once a great basketball coach with the potential to become an elite basketball coach.  Also, he's black.  But what happened was he cashed a few large checks from the University of Texas and decided that going from great to below average was easier than trying to become elite.  He remained black and became one of the worst coaches in the Big XII, maybe the worst regardless of color.  While still being black, he has decided that continuing a joint venture of cashing checks and getting worse is the best course of action for him and his program at this time.  Also, he continues to be black.  And he sucks.  Totally exclusive of one another.  You know what else is exclusive?  Shaka and winning.  

12 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This is the type of bullshit that I get tired of. Why do one of you fuckboys always have an incessant need to take it here? Regardless of what hindsight investigation drums out 5 years later the prevailing view at the time was that he was a hot commodity that everyone with an open job was going after. What tha fuck does that have to do with PC culture. This trash ass, revisionist view to that every black person only got his job because of some sort of make good is complete and utter bullshit. 

He was a hot commodity to people who weren't paying attention.  the guy never even won his conference. sure he was likely a top 10 prospect at the time but nothing(other than one lucky run) said he was a big time P5 level coach. Shit we should have hired Grant away from Bama if we wanted the best VCU coach.  I was meh(wanted Marshall) on it. 

Time to move on.  he sucks.

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Precisely.  Shaka's hiring at Texas had nothing to do with race or color.  He was hired because he was once a great basketball coach with the potential to become an elite basketball coach.  Also, he's black.  But what happened was he cashed a few large checks from the University of Texas and decided that going from great to below average was easier than trying to become elite.  He remained black and became one of the worst coaches in the Big XII, maybe the worst regardless of color.  While still being black, he has decided that continuing a joint venture of cashing checks and getting worse is the best course of action for him and his program at this time.  Also, he continues to be black.  And he sucks.  Totally exclusive of one another.  You know what else is exclusive?  Shaka and winning.  

he was once a great basketball coach?

there was one?  

His record after 5 seasons at Texas will be below .500 at this pace.  

So basically, pick your fate gentlemen---the CBI or CIT?  

Seriously, pick.  Because I honestly can't remember.  Which is the one for P5 teams that didn't make the NIT and which is the one that takes smaller conference teams that got upset in their own league tourney?  At 17-15, I'm thinking we get that kinda bid.

Edited by Lobo

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

He was a hot commodity to people who weren't paying attention.  the guy never even won his conference. sure he was likely a top 10 prospect at the time but nothing(other than one lucky run) said he was a big time P5 level coach. Shit we should have hired Grant away from Bama if we wanted the best VCU coach.  I was meh(wanted Marshall) on it. 

There are a few coaches every year who fit this exact bill following the tourney. The aforementioned Marshall hasn't done shit in a few years now. 

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

In the past you've made the same sort of implications as the poster I responded to above. I haven't forgotten. 

8 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

In the past you've made the same sort of implications as the poster I responded to above. I haven't forgotten. 

yep, because we had an agenda.  I don't really care that we had one but we did and I don't really care what you haven't forgotten or not.  he was certainly in the mix as a viable candidate and he was as qualified as likely many others but his history didn't scream we need to fire Barnes so we can get Shaka Smart.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, SDG said:

The team was well coached, but not by Shaka. He had great assistants none of which came with him to Texas. 

It was a pitifully lazy and under-researched hire by UT. Hopefully having a real AD will fix that next time around, which better be in about 2 months.

Edited by Burt Macklin

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yep, because we had an agenda.  I don't really care that we had one but we did and I don't really care what you haven't forgotten or not.  he was certainly in the mix as a viable candidate and he was as qualified as likely many others but his history didn't scream we need to fire Barnes so we can get Shaka Smart.

What was the agenda? And LOL at Barnes getting fired specifically to hire Shaka. This is the first time I've heard anyone make this claim. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Golly! We brought Shaka back and it’s the same shit yet again! Who could have seen this coming. Well, at least we shaved off $3 million from what we’ll be paying him when he’s canned in three months. Maybe we should make that a banner and hang it in the new arena.

10 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

My statement has nothing to do with Shaka and everything to do with the WHITE guys pulling the strings at UT.  They have an agenda, it's easy to see, especially if the BMD's don't care and don't threaten to pull funding.  This team is soft because priorities are not on winning.  They assumed that the bball program had been built and established under Barnes.  They assumed SS would continue the winning while adding harmony to the locker room by soft pedaling the motivational part of coaching.  I'm sure the classroom and community aspects of UT basketball are great but the seats are empty and that's a problem.

https://texassports.com/news/2016/8/25/university-of-texas-board-of-regents-approve-contract-extension-for-mens-basketball-coach-shaka-smart.aspx

Edited by 2300 Nueces

56 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

My statement has nothing to do with Shaka and everything to do with the WHITE guys pulling the strings at UT.  They have an agenda, it's easy to see, especially if the BMD's don't care and don't threaten to pull funding.  This team is soft because priorities are not on winning.  They assumed that the bball program had been built and established under Barnes.  They assumed SS would continue the winning while adding harmony to the locker room by soft pedaling the motivational part of coaching.  I'm sure the classroom and community aspects of UT basketball are great but the seats are empty and that's a problem.

https://texassports.com/news/2016/8/25/university-of-texas-board-of-regents-approve-contract-extension-for-mens-basketball-coach-shaka-smart.aspx

Face.

palm.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Kenpom VCU ratings:

2005: 122

2006: 104

2007: 52

2008: 68

2009: 54

2010: 56

2011: 53

2012: 46

2013: 18

2014: 25

2015: 30

It looks like Grant did much more to improve VCU than Shaka, although Shaka took VCU to a level they had yet to achieve under Grant.  Had Shaka gotten bounced early in the 2011 tourney, I doubt he gets the Texas job, which is indicative of a poor process.

Edited by Fozzz

43 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Kenpom VCU ratings:

2005: 122

2006: 104

2007: 52

2008: 68

2009: 54

2010: 56

2011: 53

2012: 46

2013: 18

2014: 25

2015: 30

It looks like Grant did much more to improve VCU than Shaka, although Shaka took VCU to a level they had yet to achieve under Grant.  Had Shaka gotten bounced early in the 2011 tourney, I doubt he gets the Texas job, which is indicative of a poor process.

2013- Shaka has his best team ever, yet he can't win the Atlantic 10 Conference, doesn't win the A 10 tourney, and then loses in the second round of the tourney by 25 points to Michigan (#14 vs #4 in kenpom when they played).

2014- has a team that's arguably better than the previous one (ranked #10 in kenpom going into the A10 tourney title game), a team ranked 6th in the country defensively (AdjD of 89.4), and yet he again can't win the Atlantic 10 conference, can't win the conference tourney, and then loses in the first round of the tourney to SFA (15 vs 70 in Kenpom at the time of the game). Wow. Also, this is a decent time to mention that he went 0/3 winning the A10 and 0/3 winning he fucking Colonial Athletic Association. Grant, Capel, and Wade all won the league by their second season, which is even worse when you realize that Shaka himself was at VCU as long as the three of them were *combined*.

Jesus. Turns out this guy is actually one of the all time college coaching choke artists. he had one tourney run where his team shot the ball too well for even him to fuck it up, and that's it. the entire rest of his career is nothing but underperforming teams who fold late in the season. he makes Barnes look like John Wooden. I've said it before, and because it continues to be so unbelievably true i'll say it again: the more you look into Shaka Smart's career, the less impressive he becomes. Every single bit of new information reveals more spectacular failings on his part. fuck i am so pissed this guy is our fucking coach. 

Edited by Goo Punch

9 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Fran said it best during the broadcast. They  have  a country club mentality which is exactly what you'd expect from a team coached by a guy who offers nothing but platitudes and feel good quotes in place of actual constructive criticism delivered in a non pussy tone. 

Exactly.  FWIW coaching in High School and up can be a brutal undertaking.  I apologize if you took what I said as a negative against Shaka or anyone else.  My frustration lies with the administration as fair treatment of Shaka would have been to show him the door last year regardless of his DNA.

• Fuck You 1

This is sobering (or maybe just another fact about Shaka that will make us all want to drink even more) - nine of our 13 players this season were top 75 recruits.  One player on Baylor’s roster was a top 75 recruit.  We just lost to them by 15 points in a game where they played poorly.  We scored 44 points.  Baylor is 8-2 against our fearless leader during his illustrious career in Austin.

The sickening part is listening to Baylor basketball fans discussing taking up a collection to get Shaka a lifetime contract...he has lots of huge fans in Waco.

Baylor played worse than poorly. With 5 minutes left in the game they had only scored 13 points in the 2nd half, yet they were up by double digits. Like how is that even possible. Any other team playing halfway decently would've beaten Baylor by double digits. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic