Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

On 1/4/2020 at 9:12 PM, LTtxfan said:

So how many consecutive losses in 2020 to start B12 Conference will cause CDC to fire Shaka in-season??

Would love to see Shaka fired with 2nd half of 2020 B12 Conference games still left to play.  

^^^Maybe Feb 3rd is Shaka's final game! 

Poor SkakaLaka... Better Win Saturday vs K-State or probably no wins till maybe February??

Look at this upcoming schedule 😬 

Sat, Jan 4
@Baylor6 Baylor
L59-44 10-3 (0-1)      
Wed, Jan 8 L72-62 10-4 (0-2)      
Sat, Jan 11 7:00 PM
espn-longhorn@2x.png

Wed, Jan 15 7:00 PM ESPN+  
Sat, Jan 18
vsKansas3 Kansas
1:00 PM    
Mon, Jan 20 6:00 PM
espn-U@2x.png

Sat, Jan 25
vsLSULSU
1:00 PM    
Wed, Jan 29
@TCUTCU
7:00 PM ESPN+  
Sat, Feb 1 1:00 PM
espn-longhorn@2x.png

Mon, Feb 3
@Kansas3 Kansas
8:00 PM
espn-red@2x.png

Sat, Feb 8
vsTexas Tech22 Texas Tech
3:00 PM
espn-2@2x.png

Edited by LTtxfan

I watched the last five minutes or so. Saw Ramey chuck up a couple of 25 footers while the game was still in doubt. I’m not really sure if we’d see a noticeable difference if we made Matt Coleman the player/coach from here on out.

It’s astonishing we’re still watching this in year five, and I can only conclude that CDC doesn’t give a shit at all about the results.

• Like 2

Just a thought---could Shaka actually be trying to get fired?

I mean, think about it. Right now he has to sit there watching every one of our shitty games. That's got to suck. It would be a lot better to just have all the money without having to endure watching his team play.  

TJ Ford and the 2002-03 team are why I fell in love with Texas my freshman year, not Texas football. I always had that soft spot for Texas basketball. Now? I don't give a fuck. I didn't watch last night. I won't watch them again this season. Like everyone else I'm so sick and tired of how bad the team is. There's no reason to let him coach the rest of the season. Don't care about the buyout. Don't care about it blowing up the program. Don't care if the players revolt. They all suck anyway.

I don't even care who they bring in next. I don't need some splash hire. I just want someone who can coach basketball. I don't care if they bring in top recruits because lord knows they haven't done shit with a top recruit since DJ Augustin so why does it matter? Find an actual basketball coach who runs an actual offense and understands game management. Get rid of the clown show they have now.

1 hour ago, 76Jayhawk said:

So whats his buyout at? Not that you guys need to care or anything, but out of curiosity what is it at?

I cannot imagine the Texas AD allowing this shit to go much longer.

It's not a buyout per se, it's paying off the remainder of a fully-guaranteed contract. He's owed about $10.5m at the end of this season, so say about $12.2m right now.

19/20 3,300,000
20/21 3,400,000
21/22 3,500,000
22/23 3,600,000
Edited by Bitterwhiteguy

12 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

It's not a buyout per se, it's paying off the remainder of a fully-guaranteed contract. He's owed about $10.5m at the end of this season, so say about $12.2m right now.

19/20 3,300,000
20/21 3,400,000
21/22 3,500,000
22/23 3,600,000

Was Shaka a threat to leave after the 2016 season?  What motivated Perrin to make that extension?  Shaka's 2016 team wasn't really an improvement over Barnes' final teams with the exception of the 2013 team.  

Edited by Fozzz

15 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

19/20 3,300,000
20/21 3,400,000
21/22 3,500,000
22/23 3,600,000

So it's all completely sunk cost. The difference between firing him now and at the end of the season is not $1.7M, it's the additional salary from hiring a new assistant coach (or promoting a staffer to assistant) and promoting Yaklich to interim, whatever that amount is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tired Horn said:

Just a thought---could Shaka actually be trying to get fired?

I mean, think about it. Right now he has to sit there watching every one of our shitty games. That's got to suck. It would be a lot better to just have all the money without having to endure watching his team play.  

you would think he was trying to get fired based on his team's performances, but his exuberant celebration after our thrilling win against mighty McNeese State says that this clown is ac tally trying his hardest.

4 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

What motivated Perrin to make that extension? 

In my opinion, it was hope.

Here's what he and Fenves actually said publicly.

"Shaka has done a terrific job in all facets of building our basketball program," said Men's Athletics Director Mike Perrin. "On the court, despite facing a lot of challenges and adversity in his first year, we showed steady progress and produced a lot of exciting moments. His outstanding recruiting, talented class of newcomers and overall development of our team in the classroom and the community has been exemplary. I'm excited about what Shaka's accomplished and look forward to seeing him lead our program in the years to come."

“We want to send a message,” university president Gregory L. Fenves said. “He is a great coach, an educator, a leader. He’s made such fantastic progress in his first season here. He’s getting national attention. We just want to show him that he’s really important to the University of Texas.”

Shaka's greatest skill as a basketball coach may be self-promotion.  He has made a lot of money while not delivering a whole lot.  I believe he's had one top twenty team (18th in 2013) under KenPom's rating system in his entire career as a head coach.  

firing Barnes wasn't the worst division ever. not having a candidate who we really loved and had properly vetted waiting in the wings was a huge mistake. also, not actually vetting Shaka Smart (because there's no way we actually looked into his record or performance/interviewed him properly based on what we know now) was a pretty colossal fuck up. and then we extended him after one mediocre year where we went 0-2 in the postseason as the favored seed both times. all of those decisions were worse than the decision to fire Rick Barnes, who was facing a real uphill battle to turn his own program back around. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

In my opinion, it was hope.

Here's what he and Fenves actually said publicly.

"Shaka has done a terrific job in all facets of building our basketball program," said Men's Athletics Director Mike Perrin. "On the court, despite facing a lot of challenges and adversity in his first year, we showed steady progress and produced a lot of exciting moments. His outstanding recruiting, talented class of newcomers and overall development of our team in the classroom and the community has been exemplary. I'm excited about what Shaka's accomplished and look forward to seeing him lead our program in the years to come."

“We want to send a message,” university president Gregory L. Fenves said. “He is a great coach, an educator, a leader. He’s made such fantastic progress in his first season here. He’s getting national attention. We just want to show him that he’s really important to the University of Texas.”

I think they were also trying to compensate for having an interim AD by handing out the extension to show as a sign of stability and progress. 

Steve Patterson fucked us, but a school with the athletic revenue of Texas having an interim AD for that long was also mind-bogglingly stupid. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

firing Barnes wasn't the worst division ever. not having a candidate who we really loved and had properly vetted waiting in the wings was a huge mistake. also, not actually vetting Shaka Smart (because there's no way we actually looked into his record or performance/interviewed him properly based on what we know now) was a pretty colossal fuck up. and then we extended him after one mediocre year where we went 0-2 in the postseason as the favored seed both times. all of those decisions were worse than the decision to fire Rick Barnes, who was facing a real uphill battle to turn his own program back around. 

Correct. Letting Barnes go was not wrong, nor was it a stupid decision. Not even close.

Hiring Smart was a horrific decision. That doesn't change the fact that both Barnes and Texas needed a reset.

48 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Was Shaka a threat to leave after the 2016 season?  What motivated Perrin to make that extension?  Shaka's 2016 team wasn't really an improvement over Barnes' final teams with the exception of the 2013 team.  

It's almost as if having a lawyer playing adult fantasy camp AD instead of someone with experience running a nine-figure operation has adverse consequences. 

I don't dislike Perrin and it's not really his fault Texas took forever to find his replacement, but there are repercussions that last beyond his tenure.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

It's almost as if having a lawyer playing adult fantasy camp AD instead of someone with experience running a nine-figure operation has adverse consequences. 

I don't dislike Perrin and it's not really his fault Texas took forever to find his replacement, but there are repercussions that last beyond his tenure.

Good post.

And, of course, look at CDC and Herman's ill-advised extension.  Even professional and qualified ADs make dumbass mistakes.  I have to think there was some external force behind both those extensions.  Just as a lawyer, Perrin should have known that that was dumb.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic