Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

25 minutes ago, txhorns said:

There's a lot of stupidity on this thread regarding CDC.  None of this falls on his shoulders, yet.  The guy has actually opened the pocket books for assistant coaches the last couple of years.  CDC did not hire or extend Shaka.  He also will not fire Shaka without the money to do so.  Shaka only gets fired this year if a BMD or two are willing to pony up the money for the rest of the contract plus the new coaches buyout.  If no one is willing to do that then Shaka will be back next year.  CDC also has a track record of hiring pretty damn good coaches.  Just look at his hires at Texas already.

I was with you until you said it’s not on him if shaka stays after this year. It’s CDC’s job to raise the money and create buy in from donors to get a new coach. I personally give him a pass for not pulling the trigger last year, but there’s no excuse this year if he keeps Shaka. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Do you have any basis for this or are you just throwing this out there?

I don’t think ticket sales and the related revenue really factor in too much either way, but new arena or not, I don’t see any way we sell out if Shaka is the coach. He’ll, I’m not even sure we’d sell out with a new HC in place for the new arena. 

sure the first few big OOC games will sell out but after that back to the usual.  I can't fathom Shaka being the coach at this time.   my guess is CDC will try to have a couple of big OOC games in the first 3 games.  first game will be a nobody so we can guarantee a win in our new arena.

3 minutes ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

These next three games will tell us what kind of heart and desire this team has because WV is waiting to whip out asses again. Shaka needs to get his head out of his ass and quit coaching like a pussy.

good luck with that.

6 minutes ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

These next three games will tell us what kind of heart and desire this team has because WV is waiting to whip out asses again. Shaka needs to get his head out of his ass and quit coaching like a pussy.

This has been going on for five years. You don’t actually think there’s any chance of it changing now, do you?

Edited by Burt Macklin

5 minutes ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

Shaka needs to get his head out of his ass and quit coaching like a pussy.

I don't really know if he's capable of that. I look at it like Mack Brown. Mack Brown is a "come on guys, I believe in you!!!!!" type. That worked great for North Carolina against Clemson this year. It didn't work at all at Texas from 2010 on, because too many of the players were like "of course you believe in me, I was a four-star badass in high school, I'm awesome" and tuned him out. 

I don't think Smart knows how to coach any other way. He can't get results doing what he's doing, but he doesn't know what else to do, so... I guess enjoy winning about 52% of our games from now until he's fired?

CDC didn't/doesn't care about winning this year. If he did he would have fired Shaka last year or after the pasting by WVU to see if we could change the dynamic.

we will see if he cares about winning next year.

the hiring of the defensive assistant was asinine but I suppose it was his way of saying he wasn't happy.  the problem is, was, and always will be that Smart is a shitty coach who got lucky once. thousands of those kind of coaches out there.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I was with you until you said it’s not on him if shaka stays after this year. It’s CDC’s job to raise the money and create buy in from donors to get a new coach. I personally give him a pass for not pulling the trigger last year, but there’s no excuse this year if he keeps Shaka. 

This is part of the job of a good AD- to correct problems like this rather than shrugging his shoulders and saying “shucks, nothing I can do about it”. Everyone sucks his dick because he responds to folks on twitter. Fact of the matter is that football, basketball and baseball sucked before he got here and they still suck now. The problem is that it’s hard to drum up support and get alumni excited to spend money when the major sports suck. He’s got to do something to right the ship- might as well start with basketball.

53 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I can’t get over Fran F saying last night that we can’t fire Shaka because the kids go to class. 

i wish I got paid $3 million a year to make sure that 12-15 kids attend their classes.

Except this might be enough for Shaka to stay around.  If CDC isn't feeling any heat from the BMDs for basketball.  Players (that haven't transferred) go to class and graduate.   They aren't in the news/mugshot threads.  NCAA ain't sniffing around the program.  FBI doesn't have Shaka or anyone in the program on a wiretap soliciting money or blowing Adidas. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Except this might be enough for Shaka to stay around.  If CDC isn't feeling any heat from the BMDs for basketball.  Players (that haven't transferred) go to class and graduate.   They aren't in the news/mugshot threads.  NCAA ain't sniffing around the program.  FBI doesn't have Shaka or anyone in the program on a wiretap soliciting money or blowing Adidas. 

All that is well and good. But ultimately, a coach is judged on wins and losses. At some point, that has to catch up with Shaka.

I can’t bring myself to root for football or baseball to lose, but basketball... i’ve never done it before but I think I’m gonna give it a try. Texas basketball is dead to me right now I don’t even watch anymore. Who knows maybe they’ll punish me for rooting against them by winning out. 

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That all accurately describes about 340 of the 350 NCAA division 1 basketball teams.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

All that is well and good. But ultimately, a coach is judged on wins and losses. At some point, that has to catch up with Shaka.

He's not saying Shaka is coach for life. He's saying Shaka is likely to be our coach well past the point "wins and losses" should nominally determine if he's fired or not. 

I feel like we need to remind ourselves, he's on his fifth team now. His second team's the one that lost 22 games. That's the mulligan. That means that when you watch a torpid, depressing Texas basketball game now, it's the third consecutive season that we haven't really managed to bounce back from the worst season since the Weltlich era.

That is why I'm so blackpilled about the subject-- we're already well past the point that a competent coach would have turned things around. But they just let him keep on coachin'. Cause he's an unbelievable guy. And the kids go to class. 

8 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Sims, Williams and Baker are the only ones I’d care about staying. The rest can transfer for all I care.  They suck. 

I live the notion that we won’t can Shaka. He’s gone. It’s a foregone conclusion. 

You're crazy if you think Kai Jones or 2 years removed from leukemia treatments AJ1 aren't plus players next year. Even a version of Coleman who isn't the sole source of offense and not overly relied upon is great contributor on a tourney team. 

Let's see, what Big 12 teams are projected to be in the Tournament based on ESPN's Bracketology:

• #1 Baylor
  • #1 Kansas
  • #3 West Virginia
  • #7 Texas Tech
  • #9 Oklahoma

...and what teams from Texas do they project making it...

• #1 Baylor
  • #7 Texas Tech
  • #7 Houston
  • #13 North Texas
  • #13 SFA
  • 16 Prairie View A&M

Sigh.   The frustrating part is it's like this every year. 

I long ago boarded the "Fire Shaka Express", but it's been stuck in the station.  Maybe this year it'll leave the station and start picking up speed.

Edited by 0xdeadbeef

I guess I am a bit baffled by the CDC thoughts on the last few pages.  I get the $10 million dollar question, and I know it isn't my money, but the long term damage this is doing to our athletic program should be CDC's main concern.  

I went to my first Texas basketball games starting in 1994 and I have never seen the level of apathy higher than it is now.  I have seen that place packed on several occasions, and it can be a pretty awesome environment when it is.  I know that Texas is no basketball school, but we are the school of Kevin Durant.  I tuned in last night just to see the turn out.  We had maybe 5,000 people in the FEC last night to watch the #1 Baylor Bears play Texas.  That is absolutely pathetic.  

Basketball won't survive a full decade of a shit product like the football team can.  The time to cut this fraud of a coach was last year.  The fact that we may let this clown come back next year speaks volumes about how far we have fallen as an athletic program.  Basketball is the second highest grossing product and the second best opportunity to represent the university on the national stage.  Winning the NIT is not, and never should be our standard.

I sure as hell hope that our AD holds our basketball program in higher regard than it appears.  I have completely lost any interest in watching this pathetic product, and I used to watch every minute of every game.  If CDC lets Shaka coach another year he will lose a lot of my confidence as well.

58 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

That is why I'm so blackpilled about the subject-- we're already well past the point that a competent coach would have turned things around. But they just let him keep on coachin'. Cause he's an unbelievable guy. And the kids go to class. 

That's because of the stupid extension they gave him.

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What on earth has Will Baker shown you to make you think "yeah, I hope that guy sticks around"?

If we needed someone to go 1-25 on threes, I am available and have not used up any of my eligibility. 

53 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I’ve not paid much attention to this season, but I just looked at our stats.  Will Baker, in all seriousness, may be having the worst season in the history of college basketball. Holy fucking shit.

16.7% from the field 

4% on threes

11% from the FT line (WTF?)

He only has 2 blocked shots for the entire season as a 7 foot All American recruit.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that.  

that is...less than ideal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I’ve not paid much attention to this season, but I just looked at our stats.  Will Baker, in all seriousness, may be having the worst season in the history of college basketball. Holy fucking shit.

16.7% from the field 

4% on threes

11% from the FT line (WTF?)

He only has 2 blocked shots for the entire season as a 7 foot All American recruit.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that.  

First time I ever saw him play was at 10 or 11 yr old with my son in a Rec league.  The stats were about the same then!

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Haven’t seen enough Kai Jones. No, I don’t think AJ or MC will ever be plus players unless in roles significantly smaller than what they are now. They are simply not good college basketball players. 

This notion that we won't be way worse off without Coleman next year is a strange and terrible take. He's a solid player being coached by a fucking dreadful offensive coordinator (his name rhymes with Caca Fart).

What mystery player are you taking over a senior Matt Coleman next year? You want us to tank for draft picks or something? 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Well he’s been completely misused, so there’s that.  At this point he should just be a foul giver trying to push guys off the block.  On offense his only job should be to crash the boards. 

You know, the first year after Hakeem Olajuwon came over from Nigeria he could not make a 2-ft jump shot to save his life.  Guy Lewis had him stand in front of the basket and told him if anyone brought the ball to the basket to block the shot, and if they missed to rebound the ball.  If he got the ball under the basket to dunk it or pass it to his teammates.  Look where that got him.

Guy Lewis was a fucking genius...

2 hours ago, Horn80 said:

Cough, cough......that fucking lost to N C State 

Ball watching on a last second shot happens. (I wish that it didn't 37 years ago, but it did and it still does.)

This video won't be up forever, but it will be for tonight.

Edited by Napoleon

56 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I don’t think we’d be worse off and I guess for an NIT team that goes .500, he’s a plus player. He’s not a good player though, and wouldn’t sniff the floor during most Barnes years. He’s a very, very spotty, weak guard. That the offense flows through him and our coach allows him to dribble so much is a travesty, a sham and a mockery. 

Calling him a solid player is a strange and terrible take. 

This is dumb. Coleman would flourish under better leadership. Underrated defender and has dramatically improved his shot from range.

Agree that he dribbles too much and doesn't always exercise the best judgment, but my sense is those things would've been coached out of him by now if he'd had a better teacher.

• Like 3

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic