Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

10 years ago or whatever the Pflugerville HS girls team played Brittney Griner's Nimitz team at the FEC. The entire lower bowl was full and there were hundreds, possibly 1,000+ more up top. Shaka has overseen literally dozens of Texas men's home games with fewer people in attendance, including plenty of conference games, obviously including last night. 

Edited by Goo Punch

That's 2 or 3 times now I've seen writers preface their Shaka opinion with "I hate to see a guy lose his job" .. "I hate to make a guy have to move his family" ..... Give me a fucking break. He could retire comfortably right now with all the money we've given him and will have to give him. I'd drag my family to Alaska for the next decade if you gave me that kind of money. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

That's 2 or 3 times now I've seen writers preface their Shaka opinion with "I hate to see a guy lose his job" .. "I hate to make a guy have to move his family" ..... Give me a fucking break. He could retire comfortably right now with all the money we've given him and will have to give him. I'd drag my family to Alaska for the next decade if you gave me that kind of money. 

exactly. who fucking cares.  he sucks at his job for what he was, is, and will be paid. BYE!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

yeah, they say all of that while releasing their breaking fucking news article that Shaka Smart sucks and needs to go. fucking hilarious how all of the pay sites and "high brow" blogs are just now coming out with this shit about Shaka needing to be fired, after years of them all bending over backwards to make excuses for him under the self deluded guise of objectivity. fuck all of those idiots. man, thanks for releasing this "content" guys, up until now none of us knew what to think about the guy. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Do you think Shaka Smart will be fired after the season? Does he deserve to be fired?

Some back in 2018

No and Yes he does because we are just delaying the inevitable since we don't see this guy becoming any good.

Surly Now

Yes and Yes

@Camelback80

anigif_enhanced-23123-1431377958-27.gif?

Edited by DanTheHorn

i thought that i'd be totally numb by now, but it still bugs the shit out of me how Shaka's demeanor hasn't changed one iota during his tenure here. i'd like to see him comporting himself like a guy who knows he's a dead man walking but who wants to prove that he can still coach. more sober/stoic on the sideline throughout the games, mixed in with some visible disappointment whenever your guys fuck up. get tougher and more demanding out there. start auditioning for your next job now. just keep it very business-like, you know?

NOPE. Dude is throwing dance parties for last second victories at home against McNeese State. on the sidelines he's giddy and ecstatic and celebrating like he just won a tourney game as we finally pull away from a terrible TCU team in the final couple of minutes. he's all smiles and bright eyes after it's over as if he's totally unaware that playing in front of 1,500 people should be completely embarrassing. he comports himself like a guy who just signed a new five year deal. he is fucking clueless, and it's aggravating to see how little his own abysmal performance upsets him. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i thought that i'd be totally numb by now, but it still bugs the shit out of me how Shaka's demeanor hasn't changed one iota during his tenure here. i'd like to see him comporting himself like a guy who knows he's a dead man walking but who wants to prove that he can still coach. more sober/stoic on the sideline throughout the games, mixed in with some visible disappointment whenever your guys fuck up. get tougher and more demanding out there. start auditioning for your next job now. just keep it very business-like, you know?

NOPE. Dude is throwing dance parties for last second victories at home against McNeese State. on the sidelines he's giddy and ecstatic and celebrating like he just won a tourney game as we finally pull away from a terrible TCU team in the final couple of minutes. he's all smiles and bright eyes after it's over as if he's totally unaware that playing in front of 1,500 people should be completely embarrassing. he comports himself like a guy who just signed a new five year deal. he is fucking clueless, and it's aggravating to see how little his own abysmal performance upsets him. 

Obviously I don’t live it like you guys do, but it still chaps my ass that we lost to Vcu. but the thing that really pisses me off about him is how he always approaches the refs or the court with his hands in his pockets and his elbows sticking out as far as possible. What the fuck even is that?? 

16 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

So...

...he’s like “Lennie” from Of Mice and Men.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

10 years ago or whatever the Pflugerville HS girls team played Brittney Griner's Nimitz team at the FEC. 

Heh.  My niece played in that game for PHS.  She was terrified going in . . . and afterwards, she confirmed her terror was well-placed.

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-basketball-Shaka-Smart-coaching-hot-seats-NCAA-Tournament--144012171/

Will Texas fire Shaka Smart after the season?

By:  TAYLOR ESTES 19 hours ago

Each week, the Horns247 staff tackles the Question of the Week, where we dive into some of the hottest topics surrounding the University of Texas and beyond.  With Texas basketball continuing to struggle down the stretch in Big 12 play, all eyes are on the future of head coach Shaka Smart. Questions about Smart’s job security have been on-going for the last few years, but have only increased this season as it looks like the Longhorns could miss the NCAA Tournament for the second-straight season.

With that said, the Question of the Week is …

Do you think Shaka Smart will be fired after the season? Does he deserve to be fired?

How has that not been the question of the week every single week?

but seriously if you do not count people who are part of the game production, It looks like there might be 400 or 500 fans at the game, based on the pictures.  Don't count the band, and anybody who is working. 

That is obviously a money loser for every game that would happen.   If you project that kind of crowd over the next year, CDC might realize that the athletic program is better off to fire him at the end of this season vs. waiting until the end of next season.  

It is all about the money, some of us claim, and the money almost certainly says fire him this year, as opposed to next year. 

so let’s say 6500 tickets are always bought. Maybe people aren’t there but football ticket holders buy basketball too (Ku requires this). And let’s say the average face price is $40. If you miss 10k people a game that’s 400k. Say those 10k people spend $10 on food/bev then you’re at 500k a game. Usually about 14-15 home games a season so that’s $7.5M right there. Plus the 6k of people who aren’t spending $10 on a game because the season tickets aren’t showing and that’s another $900k over the season. You’re not far off from the buyout and if you don’t have to pay a second buyout for the next coach then this thing is paid off real quick. 

the question will be if CDC is doing enough legwork to get private donations for the money. If he can even get $3M then this should be a done deal provided the donors and money people sign off on Matta or Beilein. 

6 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Obviously I don’t live it like you guys do, but it still chaps my ass that we lost to Vcu. but the thing that really pisses me off about him is how he always approaches the refs or the court with his hands in his pockets and his elbows sticking out as far as possible. What the fuck even is that?? 

Sweaty arm pits? Trying to make himself look bigger/more intimidating? Just spit ballin here

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Heh.  My niece played in that game for PHS.  She was terrified going in . . . and afterwards, she confirmed her terror was well-placed.

my mom just kept shaking her head the entire night while emphatically stating, "that's a dude." lol. Griner was doing two-hand tomahawk dunks during warmups and then staring down the PHS students, lmao. i'll never forget that game. 

9 hours ago, PantsTent said:

I'd put it at about 1500-2000 actual people once it was about 10min into the game.  Definitely the lowest for a conference game I've seen this year or years past.

(yes, I was there)

giphy.gif

These are weltlich era numbers.  We are approaching the basement, at least with attendance.  

The combination of whiffing on recruits and not coaching kids up is startling. Did Shaka get these kids because no other coach thought they were actually good? Does he not player develop? Is it both? What in the fuck is going on?

these are thoughts that go through my head from the outside looking in. Which probably means every other person in cbb is wondering the same thing. Which kinda makes Shaka a laughingstock. You don’t want a laughingstock coach. That’s Kevin stallings type shit. 

Exactly! And when his piss hits the sides of the urinal, it sounds effeminate.

58 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

The combination of whiffing on recruits and not coaching kids up is startling. Did Shaka get these kids because no other coach thought they were actually good? Does he not player develop? Is it both? What in the fuck is going on?

these are thoughts that go through my head from the outside looking in. Which probably means every other person in cbb is wondering the same thing. Which kinda makes Shaka a laughingstock. You don’t want a laughingstock coach. That’s Kevin stallings type shit. 

He didn’t whiff on very many recruits and most of the guys he’s landed we’re nationally recruited guys with good offers. 

Shaka’s issues weren’t ability to recruit or even so much evaluations. He had a couple bad misses, like taking Young over Carson Edwards, but Guys like Sims and Hayes were really good evals. Same for AJ. He was playing amazing before cancer hit. Even Tevin Mack was good before he got kicked off the team. 

Shaka’s issues are inability to coach/develop and inability to determine what skill sets he needs to fit his system. He’s never been able to find a stretch 4 in a system that absolutely needs one to be effective. He also just generally couldn’t find shooters in a “system” where he lets guys take way too many bad 3s with no repercussions. 

I think this team is pretty talented, but it’s obscured by horrible coaching. Febres has been absolutely terrible, but asking him to guard bigs in a 4 guard lineup and letting him jack up terrible 3s with no punishment Is setting him up to fail. A coach who deploys him in a favorable defensive matchup and reins in his shot selection could have a very useful player on their hands. Same goes for the point guards in shaka’s system. They’re asked to produce in an offense that gets no open looks and gives them no direction. Ramey flashed a lot his freshman year and now he’s regressed with a full year of Shaka’s coaching. 

If attrition doesn’t decimate our roster, I think we could have a really good team next year under a good coach, which is part of why I’m high in Beilein. Even if he isn’t here long, he could win a lot of games starting year 1 and set the program on a really good trajectory.

We need a known quantity for HC. This isn’t the time to gamble on a young, high variance hire. 

• Like 4

I can see positives in about every player on the current roster... a problem has been the free reign / lack of repercussions environment that allows for really bad decision making and bad habit development to flourish and doesn't punish or call-out recurring lack of effort and focus on the more difficult / less sexy stuff like boxing out, taking a charge, interior passing, and movement without the ball.

We have no 5-tool players on this team.  Running the iso / 5-out set and allowing everyone to shoot beyond the NBA 3-point line at will is asinine.  

Whoever inherits this roster, even if a good chunk of it bails out with the coach, will have some positive things to work with.   We could use a calm and confident ball handler with better vision and another player on the roster besides Sims who can gather a rebound in a crowd (Kai may be that guy with another 15 lbs of muscle). 

In my opinion, it would be ideal if 2 or 3 of our stationary swing men departed with Shaka so that the new coach could bring in more than one player next year.  Give me about 3 of the Liddell, Williams, Cunningham, AJ, Febres group and allow the remainder to go with Shaka to the east or west coast.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 9:40 AM, torre said:

siap

Eyes on Brown: The father of Vandegrift basketball star Greg Brown III told me Tuesday little has changed in the recruitment of his 6′8″ son. But he reiterated the family line that he is only considering Texas if it retains Shaka Smart. Asked for an update, he said that the possibility of Smart’s firing “definitely will send Greg elsewhere.” 

https://www.statesman.com/sports/20200218/bohls-big-12-itrsquos-your-turn-to-step-up

Goodbye GIF

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

My favorite part of this is the Plucker's ad blasting at about 120 decibels.

Now, we’re getting somewhere.  Ad revenue will plummet, because what company will want to spin their wheels offering stuff, if they know there will be possibly 2000 fans in attendance.  

The financial equation becomes worse every day for bringing him back.  

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

He didn’t whiff on very many recruits and most of the guys he’s landed we’re nationally recruited guys with good offers. 

Shaka’s issues weren’t ability to recruit or even so much evaluations. He had a couple bad misses, like taking Young over Carson Edwards, but Guys like Sims and Hayes were really good evals. Same for AJ. He was playing amazing before cancer hit. Even Tevin Mack was good before he got kicked off the team. 

Shaka’s issues are inability to coach/develop and inability to determine what skill sets he needs to fit his system. He’s never been able to find a stretch 4 in a system that absolutely needs one to be effective. He also just generally couldn’t find shooters in a “system” where he lets guys take way too many bad 3s with no repercussions. 

I think this team is pretty talented, but it’s obscured by horrible coaching. Febres has been absolutely terrible, but asking him to guard bigs in a 4 guard lineup and letting him jack up terrible 3s with no punishment Is setting him up to fail. A coach who deploys him in a favorable defensive matchup and reins in his shot selection could have a very useful player on their hands. Same goes for the point guards in shaka’s system. They’re asked to produce in an offense that gets no open looks and gives them no direction. Ramey flashed a lot his freshman year and now he’s regressed with a full year of Shaka’s coaching. 

If attrition doesn’t decimate our roster, I think we could have a really good team next year under a good coach, which is part of why I’m high in Beilein. Even if he isn’t here long, he could win a lot of games starting year 1 and set the program on a really good trajectory.

We need a known quantity for HC. This isn’t the time to gamble on a young, high variance hire. 

This is the part I just don't get. Post-havoc, Shaka has simply defined no functional approach to winning basketball. 

WTF. How is that even possible? What does he tell himself in the recesses of his own mind when he watches this team play?

Does he really not know how to do this? Some coaches aren't ultimately successful for a variety of reasons, but it's generally not because they fail open at one of the very first tasks any coach at this level simply must be capable of. It's like we hired a plumber who refuses to disconnect pipes.   

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

reminder that before the season, so, five months ago, BitterWhiteGuy *literally* said that Shaka was doing as well as we could have expected from *any* coach we possibly could have hired back in 2015. but hey, kudos on finally seeing what's right in front of you. 

tasty jelly.

19 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

This is the part I just don't get. Post-havoc, Shaka has simply defined no functional approach to winning basketball. 

This is the best distillation of an explanation as to why Shaka failed.

I've gathered that Shaka junked Havoc because he thought it would limit his ceiling in terms of recruiting. Which I have no problem with in theory. But to call his new "plan" or "vision" half-baked is a massive understatement. Five years in, he doesn't even have anything in the oven. 

I suspect he took the Texas job and turned down places like UCLA because he was at least somewhat aware of his limitations and inexperience, and thought he'd have time to find his way and figure shit out on the job. I think that mindset blew up in his face. It might get you by in the CAA or A10, but in a big boy conference like the Big12, a coach should probably show up with some kind of fleshed out plan or vision on day one. 

• Like 3

so let’s say 6500 tickets are always bought. Maybe people aren’t there but football ticket holders buy basketball too (Ku requires this). And let’s say the average face price is $40. If you miss 10k people a game that’s 400k. Say those 10k people spend $10 on food/bev then you’re at 500k a game. Usually about 14-15 home games a season so that’s $7.5M right there. Plus the 6k of people who aren’t spending $10 on a game because the season tickets aren’t showing and that’s another $900k over the season. You’re not far off from the buyout and if you don’t have to pay a second buyout for the next coach then this thing is paid off real quick. 

the question will be if CDC is doing enough legwork to get private donations for the money. If he can even get $3M then this should be a done deal provided the donors and money people sign off on Matta or Beilein. 

It’s cute that you think a coaching change will result in a packed house throughout a Longhorn basketball season.

Your approach is right, but cut your attendance delta in half.

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

This is the best distillation of an explanation as to why Shaka failed.

I've gathered that Shaka junked Havoc because he thought it would limit his ceiling in terms of recruiting. Which I have no problem with in theory. But to call his new "plan" or "vision" half-baked is a massive understatement. Five years in, he doesn't even have anything in the oven. 

I suspect he took the Texas job and turned down places like UCLA because he was at least somewhat aware of his limitations and inexperience, and thought he'd have time to find his way and figure shit out on the job. I think that mindset blew up in his face. It might get you by in the CAA or A10, but in a big boy conference like the Big12, a coach should probably show up with some kind of fleshed out plan or vision on day one. 

hindsight is that it would have been much easier to do that in the pac10 at UCLA. yeah he probably thought, I just need to make the tournament and win a game at Texas and they will keep me for life.  easy peasy. I guess no coach predicts he will be a colossal failure.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure "Havoc" is the least intensive scheme from a preparation standpoint.  Recruit good athletes, condition the hell out of them, and coach them to run the other team's ass off.  Even moderate basketball skills will get you to moderate success.

I think he believes too highly in his skills as a coach.  The fact that I have almost never heard him mention any schematic approach to the game would tend to support such a conclusion -- it's all about "buy-in" and "connectivity" and "will power".  Platitudes are important, but I'm pretty fucking sure Bobby Knight could get this team farther with zero platitudes.

• Like 2

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic