Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

Even after all of this sucking, I could still be won back as a fan of Shaka.  If we win out, there is no way they keep us out of the tourney.  That is probably the case even if we go 2-1 in the next 3.  Has any team in the Big 12 been denied a tourney bid with a winning conference record?

And if this team makes the tourney all bets are off regarding how far they could go. There is a lot of talent on the roster.

All that said, we probably go 1-2 miss again.

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

He's definitely not coming back, man.

15 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Shaka may end up saving his job, I fear. Still time to blow the season, which I fully expect, but he no longer looks like a dead man walking like a few weeks ago. 

I’m starting to freak out a bit. 

This whole 3 Game Winning Streak, close to .500 in conference play, a road win, a win over a ranked team, nearly 20 wins on the season...

W...

T...

F...?!?!?!?!

• Like 2

He will be safe. Finishing as a middle of the pack team in the conference with a shot at the tournament will be enough for CDC, who is looking for ANY excuse to keep him. Only way he gets fired now or in future seasons is if they have a completely rock bottom year where they finish last or close to last.

• Fuck You 2

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I’m starting to freak out a bit. 

This whole 3 Game Winning Streak, close to .500 in conference play, a road win, a win over a ranked team, nearly 20 wins on the season...

W...

T...

F...?!?!?!?!

Three game winning streaks are the new standard of excellence around here

We probably finish 8-10.  No way we beat Tech on the road, OU on the road is a 20-80 proposition.   May win a game in the conference tournament. No dance.  So what does CDC do?   I can see him playing the “young team” and “injuries” cards.  I can also see him making a move.  We do have good young talent on this team.  Who’s going to keep it on campus and maximize it?

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

Even after all of this sucking, I could still be won back as a fan of Shaka.  If we win out, there is no way they keep us out of the tourney.  That is probably the case even if we go 2-1 in the next 3.  Has any team in the Big 12 been denied a tourney bid with a winning conference record?

And if this team makes the tourney all bets are off regarding how far they could go. There is a lot of talent on the roster.

this team got run by 29 to ISU.  they could easily go 0-3 if Ramey and/or AJ is not hitting.

Edited by dcar00

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

We probably finish 8-10.  No way we beat Tech on the road, OU on the road is a 20-80 proposition.   May win a game in the conference tournament. No dance.  So what does CDC do?   I can see him playing the “young team” and “injuries” cards.  I can also see him making a move.  We do have good young talent on this team.  Who’s going to keep it on campus and maximize it?

No Dance. see ya for sure.  I personally think he is done, even if he squeaks in as a 12, if CDC is the AD I think he is. A Sweet sixteen would probably save him though.  the chances of that are about 1% so I'm not worried.

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

Image result for pass the weed gif

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Shaka getting the technical seemed to fire up the team tonight.

the T on Shaka was bullshit.  I'm no fan at all but the guy is getting Charlie Strong'd.  Scott Drew has fucking aneyurisms  on the sidelines and never gets T's.  the only thing I hate worse than Shaka are the shitty refs and the bullshit they pull on us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jhawk said:

Shaka going to mess around and get an extension 

Oh wow... the thought of that never crossed my mind.  I think what happened during this three game win streak is that Shaka finally decided he does give a damn about his future.  He finally decided to give it his best effort instead of dogging it.  I think we will see how committed he is during the remaining games.  We can easily lose 3 in a row, lose conf. tourney game, and go to the NIT.

no more talk of CBI from me, and barring a 5 game losing streak, he’s coming back, IMO.  Cdc can now go back to what he is comfortable doing, tweeting and not removing coaches.  

I suppose if wvu  loses out this victory is a little tainted, but what are the chances of that?

• Like 1

Regardless if this team manages to slip into the dance, it's been a season of very poor play and poorer coaching.  Our season this year was padded with the directional and religious affiliated schools and that shitty WVU team was the only ranked team we've beat all year.  The offensive play, line-ups, ball security, rebounding, and shot selection has been consistently horrific.

We are seeing know, what should've / could've been the level of product on the court at the start of conference games.

This little upswing with a depleted roster has been a nice change, but I think it reflects the coaches being forced into lineups and a back against the wall mentality that should've present before the big-12 conference games started.

It's been a year of substandard coaching that you'd expect for the price of a mid-level high school coaches salary.   I suspect Shaka will continue as coach next year if he makes the NCAA tournament and doesn't get humiliated in the first game.  I'm not thrilled about, but that would be probably what the ceiling was for this team at the beginning of the season.

If he makes the NIT again, we need to take the $ hit and hand him his walking papers.

I'm a fan of the team regardless of who is wearing the colors or coaching, and I'd like to see the team win out, make the dance, and surprise the naysayers. I'd like to hope this streak of 3 wins has been a "come to Jesus" awakening for Shaka to be focused on what wins games and less focused on not hurting anybody's feelings.  That said, I remain skeptical.

• Like 4

I think if we miss the tournament then Shaka is gone.  Make the tournament and lose in the 1st round then he could stay or be gone.  In that scenario it probably depends on who CDC realistically thinks he can hire.  Win a game or two in the tournament and Shaka is back.

It's a huge indictment on Shaka that he can't design a competent offense with a full complement of D-1 players, I have to think CDC is smart enough to know the product we saw on the court for 7/8ths of the season is unacceptable. Due to injury, we have devolved into a Ramey and AJ1 mixtape tour and it is miles better than anything Shaka can scheme up. We'll see if they can stay hot. Same story as last year, shitty bball all season until your ass is literally half way out the door and then something clicks. The survival instinct is strong with this guy...

Edited by CheesePie

2 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

It's a huge indictment on Shaka that he can't design a competent offense with a full complement of D-1 players, I have to think CDC is smart enough to know the product we saw on the court for 7/8ths of the season is unacceptable. Due to injury, we have devolved into a Ramey and AJ1 mixtape tour and it is miles better than anything Shaka can scheme up. We'll see if they can stay hot. Same story as last year, shitty bball all season until your ass is literally half way out the door and then something clicks. The survival instinct is strong with this guy...

So he's a cockroach, basically. 

Seriously, we're banking on one or two guys having games at or near their career highs, every game.  Last night it was AJ and Ramey, who set his all time high against KSU the game before, and against TCU it was AJ and Baker.

Shaka isn't doing anything but rolling the ball out on the floor and telling the guys to shoot.  For 3 games, it's worked.  It's not gonna happen every game, and with this thin bench, any foul trouble is gonna kill us.

• Like 1

I view it this way.  It's all about CDC.  He is doing what the previous AD did, listen to the BMDs.  Allegedly the reason Shaka was given an extension was the BMDS wanted it, or one BMD wanted it.   I think CDC is gonna lay low unless some BMDs come to him and demand change.  I don't think CDC cares about the money lost from low basketball attendance, because there is so much $ from LHN.  

The game that interests me is the last game this season against OSU.  Imagine a tight game and we revert back to folding in the last minute, giving us 3 losses in a row.  There will still be some doubt in Shaka's future at that point. 

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol... people actually believe we will make the tourney?

and people actually believe shaka is gonna get another year? Lmao jfc

If he wins two of the next three, we will be 9-9 in conference and will be 19-12.  We may get a bid.

While he needs to go, if he makes it to the tourney, he could (unfortunately) keep his job.

Shaka is not capable of running a program that wins consistently, as has been noted by others. His teams can put together a run here and there when cornered  but more often than not they will fold and quit much like the coach. A smart guy like CDC should clearly see this tendency and make a change unless there is bigger plan in place due to the ongoing facilities upgrades. Perhaps CDC wants to give him a chance to hire an assistant to improve the offense, much like what he did with Herman and his stuff.

I feel like if we crawl in to the tourney or even come very close to it, Shaka gets another year. Hire a new assistant to sell hope to the fans while mitigating the buyout hit. If there isn't progress next year, CDC axes him and brings in a new coach along with the unveiling of the new arena. 

10 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

If he wins two of the next three, we will be 9-9 in conference and will be 19-12.  We may get a bid.

While he needs to go, if he makes it to the tourney, he could (unfortunately) keep his job.

Yep.

Win 2/3, finish 19-12 (9-9)

Win one in the Big 12 tournament

20-12 - in

1 hour ago, ShowMeALoss said:

His teams can put together a run here and there when cornered  but more often than not they will fold and quit much like the coach.

This is why I have this notion in my head that by the time he's fifty, Shaka might actually be a good enough coach for a program like Texas. I can see him getting his shit together as a program leader by then.

Of course, that's almost a decade from now. No fucking way should he be here two months ago, let alone next season.

On 2/11/2020 at 10:40 AM, SA-KC_Horn said:

These next three games will tell us what kind of heart and desire this team has because WV is waiting to whip out asses again. Shaka needs to get his head out of his ass and quit coaching like a pussy.

I'm glad Shaka took my advice two weeks ago.

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol... people actually believe we will make the tourney?

and people actually believe shaka is gonna get another year? Lmao jfc

3 hours ago, smwhorn said:

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yep.

Win 2/3, finish 19-12 (9-9)

Win one in the Big 12 tournament

20-12 - in

If we end 9-9, that will be good for "Tied for 4th" in the Big 12 (ten team conference), that has the #1 & #2 teams in the country.

We* would have gone 9-5 in our conference against teams not ranked in the Top 2 in all of college basketball. I think that we would squeeze in. Especially because "we got hot late".

Just think if this team had had a good coach. We could possibly be in the Top 25.

*"We", because of course I'm a vital part of the team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Shaka is not capable of running a program that wins consistently, as has been noted by others. His teams can put together a run here and there when cornered  but more often than not they will fold and quit much like the coach. A smart guy like CDC should clearly see this tendency and make a change unless there is bigger plan in place due to the ongoing facilities upgrades. Perhaps CDC wants to give him a chance to hire an assistant to improve the offense, much like what he did with Herman and his stuff.

I feel like if we crawl in to the tourney or even come very close to it, Shaka gets another year. Hire a new assistant to sell hope to the fans while mitigating the buyout hit. If there isn't progress next year, CDC axes him and brings in a new coach along with the unveiling of the new arena. 

We fired Barnes for so much less than the abortion this loser is putting us through season after season. We wanted Barnes head for losing in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament. This asshole cant even make the fucking tournament. He needs to be fired and anyone who says differently or defends him with a straight face can fuck right off. 

• Like 7

We fired Barnes for so much less than the abortion this loser is putting us through season after season. We wanted Barnes head for losing in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament. This asshole cant even make the fucking tournament. He needs to be fired and anyone who says differently or defends him with a straight face can fuck right off. 

Texas did not fire Barnes because of wins and losses.
  • Like 1

But we’re definitely in the NIT, that is for sure.  The key for Shaka is to postpone the end of the season, as long as he can.  If we host 2. NIT games at 2000 fans each, that will lower the season average attendance down to maybe a record low.  Keep in mind the record low attendance figure is about 4000, from one of weltlichs years.  

I think Shaka comes back unless he loses out.  Cdc wants no part of this, IMO.  

4 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

We're not even close to in, in any of the reputable bracketologies out there. Like, not in the last eight teams out. I think this is much ado about nothing unless this team sweeps the regular season and wins a few in the B12 tournament. Which it won't, which will make all of this too little, too late.

I think that the winner of TX/OU is in and the loser hosts at least the 1st round in the NIT.

I don’t think most of the actual winning games or not matters to the degree that a fan might think.  Go back and look.  Before LHN basketball was viewed as a revenue sport, the #2 revenue sport behind football.  It even released some coaches with years left on their contract, specifically weltlich.  Why? Because UT believed we needed the revenue? I think so.  Now, we have this awful team because of a horrible coach with a marginally winning record because nobody cared enough to make the coach schedule some decent teams.  So we have this awful product on the court, nobody goes to the games, but AD doesn’t care about attendance because?

I think we don’t need the money, because LHN has replaced basketball as the number 2 revenue source.  There is no way to make our AD care about the sport unless there is enough embarrassment to make a BMD come to CDC with the big bucks to pay Shaka salary for the next 2 or 3 years.  

Why not take some of the gazillion $ that we get from LHN and pay this “coach” to go sit at home?  This is what I don’t understand.

How do you fix this?  Wait until LHN expires to expect excellence?  

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic