Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

Framework is coming from CDC: "I love how we finished so strongly at the end of the regular season and have no doubt that would have carried over into the Big 12 Tourney and then with an invitation to the NCAA Tournament."

Christmas card to COVID-19 from Smart.

7 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

I’m sure aggy would be saying that Tech chickened out and ran away from playing.

The whole SEC was afraid of aggy running the tournament table behind Buzz "Basically Coach K" Williams so they cancelled it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

then there was that part where our fifth year head coach admitted that his players were "in shock" at being behind after OSU's early run, and that he could see early on that they didn't have it in then to fight back. 

He should be fired for saying that! Failure as a coach. If I didn’t know better, Shaka wants to get fired. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

F**k Shaka Smart. How the hell does this guy keep getting bailed out.

It’ll be something about not getting a fair shake, injuries, poised to make a run but didn’t get to, steady leadership in a scary world or something dumb af 

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’ll be something about not getting a fair shake, injuries, poised to make a run but didn’t get to, steady leadership in a scary world or something dumb af 

I doubt any justification or an announcement of this type will even be made. 

he's gotta go. global pandemic has nothing to do with the decision. he's been one of the worst coaches in major college basketball for the last four years. if he's still our HC next year then i hope that *literally* nobody attends a single game until he's fired. 

Grand Canyon (13-17) finished ranked 265 in Kenpom. Guess who I saw 11 spots behind GCU at #276? Why it was mighty McNeese State! You might remember that our boys and their head coach enjoyed a festive post-game dance party after we beat McNeese State by one point at home earlier this season. The same McNeese State that would later go through this stretch:

600f7b6b02fd88cb3e59391b98878ff4.jpg

Yeah. We literally had a dance party after beating escaping that team by one point at home. And Shaka wonders why he finds his players "in shock" and visibly unable to recover from an early deficit against a bad team. Total fucking joke. He's an embarrassing hire, and the sooner he's gone, the sooner our program is headed in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markstanco said:
14 hours ago, CheesePie said:
Shaka owes COVID-19 a big thank you

ESPNU literally talked about shaka and his job and the virus today. But also discussed seniors getting another year. Which is SMART because of, maybe, there may be something called freshman that may want to come in.

congratulations Shaka.  Took an act of God, but you are back for a sixth year.  At least your agent won't be beating down cdc's door looking for an extension.  

On 3/11/2020 at 3:24 PM, Dnaguy said:

What’s the sense here.... if a cancellation of the ncaa tourney going to happen, does that save Shaka?

On 3/11/2020 at 3:54 PM, Teryor said:

I'm glad it's not cancelled so we can just address how incredibly stupid this comment is

Welp.

9 hours ago, Pancho said:

There's hope if other places are still firing coaches now...

But Grand Canyon University is a Christian school. They can show no mercy as they crusade through the athletic department.

UT is a state school and we have to show some ethics.

9 hours ago, markstanco said:
21 hours ago, CheesePie said:
Shaka owes COVID-19 a big thank you

ESPNU literally talked about shaka and his job and the virus today. But also discussed seniors getting another year. Which is SMART because of, maybe, there may be something called freshman that may want to come in.

They could just not count the super seniors against the limit and distribute some extra money to the schools to fully guarantee an extra year’s scholly for those who opt to come back (probably not as many in MBB, but WBB, baseball, softball, etc). Most freshman could opt to RS instead 

Edited by Js1

7 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Is this official? Or just speculation?

Speculation.  Nothing has been confirmed - its not even been 24 hours since the tournament was cancelled.

But would it surprise anyone that with the stock market going to shit, 2+ weeks of no revenue from home games and no postseason $$$ for spring sports, CDC might now be very weary of committing millions to firing Shaka and paying out assistants?  

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Speculation.  Nothing has been confirmed - its not even been 24 hours since the tournament was cancelled.

But would it surprise anyone that with the stock market going to shit, 2+ weeks of no revenue from home games and no postseason $$$ for spring sports, CDC might now be very weary of committing millions to firing Shaka and paying out assistants?  

I think the risk of playing to a big empty new stadium is bigger and more financially significant 

but, the key words are "big empty new stadium".  The new gym won't be ready until the beginning of the '21-22 season or later.  Shaka probably gets a pass because the new arena will need a new coach to enhance attendance.  Also, big?  Nope, 10,000 seats a is pretty big reduction from the current 16500 capacity.  I think this was the recognition of the powers that be that basketball is not gonna ever be really big at Texas.  

Doesn't matter.  If the big money donors took a 30% hit in the stock market, nobody is coming to cdc with an offer to help pay Shaka's salary.  Now back to the other thought.  Shaka has earned a reputation as a certain kind of coach.  Will he be content to keep his reputation, or will he do anything to try to get better?  

If he wants to keep making the big bucks somewhere else, he will need to do something in 20-21 to change the perception of him.  I don't think he will.   Depending upon the teams he can schedule, I can see 15-18 wins again.  

1 hour ago, orangecat92 said:

but, the key words are "big empty new stadium".  The new gym won't be ready until the beginning of the '21-22 season or later.  Shaka probably gets a pass because the new arena will need a new coach to enhance attendance.  Also, big?  Nope, 10,000 seats a is pretty big reduction from the current 16500 capacity.  I think this was the recognition of the powers that be that basketball is not gonna ever be really big at Texas.  

Doesn't matter.  If the big money donors took a 30% hit in the stock market, nobody is coming to cdc with an offer to help pay Shaka's salary.  Now back to the other thought.  Shaka has earned a reputation as a certain kind of coach.  Will he be content to keep his reputation, or will he do anything to try to get better?  

If he wants to keep making the big bucks somewhere else, he will need to do something in 20-21 to change the perception of him.  I don't think he will.   Depending upon the teams he can schedule, I can see 15-18 wins again.  

It's basically the exact same team next year... 1 scholarship available and no graduating seniors.  I suspect a VERY soft non-conference schedule will be in the works again next year to pad the record. ... still hoping that a team like Boston College, Clemson, or Wake Forest decide they want Shaka so that transition out as gracefully as possible for all sides... and maybe take a couple of his players who are more prone to flight than fight with him.

x/posting from a different thread:

there's a ton of people in the fire shaka thread speculating that his job has been saved by this pandemic, and i think that all of you are wrong. i don't think the corona virus plays any part in the decision, nor do i think that any result against Tech would have played a part in the decision.

It's so strange to me that 95% of people here think that CDC is "waiting to see how this season shakes out" before making a decision. This is one of the biggest decisions of his entire career at Texas, it involves a lot of money, and the decision has surely already been made by now. Our AD isn't going to wait to get the ball rolling on that process just so that he can see whether or not we defend our NIT crown. If CDC is fit to be the Texas AD then he's been making moves behind the scenes for months now. No result at the ass end of Shaka's fifth year here is going to change anything. 

• Like 2

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic