Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

42 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

Ready for the season to start.  Do they get a free year of eligibility too?

Yes; Shaka talked about it during his 11/10 presser.  My understanding is this is basically a free year and next year the senior scholarships don’t impact limits however schools are not required to carry them.

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i've been thinking Royce would be one to take advantage of the extra year.

You're right. I'm adding Jase to the list due to the prolonged rehab he's having in coming back from his microfracture surgery. He still isn't cleared to practice fully as of Monday. 

• 2 months later...

someone should hire Jeff Foxworthy to roast Shaka Smart.

"If you just lost a game in double overtime where your team shot 5-35 from three point range...you might be Shaka Smart."

"If you spend more time hanging out in the dorms with your teenage players than you do winning basketball games...you might be Shaka Smart."

"If you keep falling upwards and maintaining total job security despite being outclassed and outperformed by all of your coaching peers...you might be Shaka Smart."

i think it was bottlecap in the game thread that posted the most egregious stat i've ever seen for a basketball game.....

we missed EIGHTY SEVEN (87) POINTS worth of 3's.

that's right.

we missed TWENTY NINE (29) 3-point shots.

it's not the misses..

it's the zero-coaching allowing that many shots to be taken on the road on a day when you are clearly stone cold.

still waiting for someone to prove that is not an ncaa record for missed 3's.

• Hook 'Em 1

Shaka’s middle name must be Ain't. 
My kingdom for someone who can actually coach in game. 

Take a TO and tell them to drive to the line, post up, double screen curl for a 16-18 foot shot? Anything but jacking 3s. 
Naw, just keep shooting. Eventually ONE will go in, AMIRITE? 
George Mikan is rolling over in his grave. 

4 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

So is Surly ready to fire him again?

Yeah... what? I thought he should have been canned after year 3. I will admit that this year I have thought "maybe he finally put it together and he'll end up sticking around and have a nice career at Texas" but I'm still waiting for him to do something in the tournament. Anything, really. Nothing but a Final Four appearance would change my stance. Maybe if Texas had killed it down the stretch this season and then had a rough exit after making the sweet sixteen I could have bought in but after the Tech loss and this loss and the fact that they weren't much better against WVU but just got lucky (I tried to tell y'all this) it would be hard to not want him fired even if Texas makes an elite eight run. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Texas failed to make a single FG in either of the OT periods. Now that's special. 

Shaka can't run an offense in crunchtime that's worth a damn...

Three veteran guards on the court, and all the TEXAS offense could muster late was to shit their diapers...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I listened to the whole game on the radio and holy fuck... I can't even imagine how that last inbounds play went when we had 4 seconds OH WAIT FUCK YES I KNOW EXACTLY HOW IT LOOKED BECAUSE WE CAN'T INBOUND A BALL TO SAVE OUR FUCKING LIVES. 

We have regressed this season. We regressed every season under Shaka. We MIGHT win 2 games in the tourney but that's the max. And that's pathetic. 

9 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I listened to the whole game on the radio and holy fuck... I can't even imagine how that last inbounds play went when we had 4 seconds OH WAIT FUCK YES I KNOW EXACTLY HOW IT LOOKED BECAUSE WE CAN'T INBOUND A BALL TO SAVE OUR FUCKING LIVES. 

We have regressed this season. We regressed every season under Shaka. We MIGHT win 2 games in the tourney but that's the max. And that's pathetic. 

I was on the golf course and flipped the game on on the ESPN app with about 7 mins to go and watched between shots. After they inbounded the ball to Cunningham to end OT1 I said fuck this and went back to playing golf. Proved to be the correct decision.

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

I was on the golf course and flipped the game on on the ESPN app with about 7 mins to go and watched between shots. After they inbounded the ball to Cunningham to end OT1 I said fuck this and went back to playing golf. Proved to be the correct decision.

I was watching at home and did the same thing. Turned it off and went for a bike ride with my wife.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

He’s perfect for an assistant coach or player development role.  Would be a home run hire for any team in those roles.  Can recruit and is a good mentor to players.  Just cannot coach offensive basketball to save his life.  

He just isn’t high D1 material. Anyone who can’t see that is pretty much willfully blind. 

On 2/6/2021 at 10:57 PM, ztejas said:

Yeah... what? I thought he should have been canned after year 3. I will admit that this year I have thought "maybe he finally put it together and he'll end up sticking around and have a nice career at Texas" but I'm still waiting for him to do something in the tournament. Anything, really. Nothing but a Final Four appearance would change my stance. Maybe if Texas had killed it down the stretch this season and then had a rough exit after making the sweet sixteen I could have bought in but after the Tech loss and this loss and the fact that they weren't much better against WVU but just got lucky (I tried to tell y'all this) it would be hard to not want him fired even if Texas makes an elite eight run. 

Yeah the tech game had all the writing on the wall. Shoulda won that game by 15 but Beard just coached circles around Shaka. It was pretty amazing actually. Beard did this crazy thing called attacking our weaknesses and taking away our strengths. You know, coaching. Sigh 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/11/2021 at 9:28 AM, shadow_operative said:

Take of the tape after 5.5 years of Shaka:

•Top 10 nationally ranked recruiting classes: 3

•First round draft picks: 3, with 2 more coming soon

Tourney appearances: 2

•Tourney wins: 0

•Conference record: 46-53 (.465)

i think that about sums it up. 

to me the most damning stat for him is that in five years thus far, his best finish in the conference is last year's tie for third, but I guess there are those who would say "NO SEE LOOK AT THE DIRECTION THE PROGRAM'S HEADED" in his defense. of course this year, we're fifth in the conference with Tech breathing down our neck, sooooo....

I do find it funny that this year, we are seeing the worst Kansas team in memory, and we went to Lawrence and drilled them and.... we're still looking up at them in the Big 12 standings. 

Let's wait and see how this season finishes before making any conclusions on it, but even if he rights the ship and we somehow finish in the top 3 of the conference for the whopping 2nd time in his tenure and we manage the Sweet 16, it was obvious three years ago Smart wasn't going to reach the appropriate level of success for this program.

Smart's continued tenure here is why I am so down on CDC (I don't think he had much to do with the Herman saga). We should not accept third place as the ceiling for our men's basketball program. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Smart's continued tenure here is why I am so down on CDC (I don't think he had much to do with the Herman saga). We should not accept third place as the ceiling for our men's basketball program. 

He had MORE to do with the Herman saga. He presided over us giving Herman an extension and let him hire a new staff in year 4 which significantly raised the eventual buyout. He didn't hire Smart or extend him. He probably should have canned Smart after the 2018/2019 season (no AD at Texas is going to fire the bball coach after half a season on campus without serious due cause), but it wouldn't entirely be CDC's call and it is much harder to drum up BMD support for basketball than football at Texas. Especially when the football team is still sucking. Covid made it even stickier. And this is all occurring in tandem with getting a new arena built which has been long overdue.

CDC's legacy here is going to ride on the Sark hiring. Basketball is and always will be an afterthought. I get that that's frustrating but it's just the reality of the situation. If Shaka dicks around and can't even win a tournament game again and THEN he isn't fired I'll start to wonder about CDC's gumption - but I don't expect that to happen - certainly not after giving Herman the boot for much more success than what Shaka has done. 

Basically, fuck Shaka - he sucks, it isn't CDC's fault that he sucks, it isn't CDC's fault that institutionally Texas doesn't really care about basketball, CDC has probably tried to roll the dice one too many times with him, like he did with Herman (but got away with it because Texas has basically endless resources when it comes to football) but ultimately CDC inherited a shit-sandwich ADepartment and I'd like to see how HIS football and basketball hires turn out before blaming him for the ineptitude of his predecessors.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

He had MORE to do with the Herman saga. He presided over us giving Herman an extension and let him hire a new staff in year 4 which significantly raised the eventual buyout. He didn't hire Smart or extend him. He probably should have canned Smart after the 2018/2019 season

I don't think he did. I think it's well-established at this point that Del Conte was on the outside looking in during the Herman firing and Sarkisian hiring. It's then logical to assume he wasn't allowed to unilaterally extend Herman's contract, although it's also possible that his exclusion from the Herman/Meyer/Sarkisian situation was a response to how he handled the extension. Was it even his idea? I don't really know. I don't want to get into the new staff remark as that's going to take us way off in the weeds and the particulars of Herman aren't the point. 

My point was that how Del Conte has handled men's basketball is, to me personally, in evaluating his performance, a bigger black mark than anything he did with regard to the football program. I'm not arguing basketball is more important than football, or anything about how much it should matter to anyone else, and I already know all of the contextual mitigations people like to give Del Conte in explaining why he retained a coach who needed a long and improbable win streak at the end of his fifth year just to manage a personal-best tied-for-third finish.

I'm saying I have a much bigger problem letting an obviously terrible basketball coach hang on through six years (which most likely means seven) than I do letting an obviously mediocre football coach stay for a fourth year. 

I can explain why, further, but maybe just clarifying that is sufficient. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic