Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

48 minutes ago, JWinTX said:

Why not look at Tim Jankovich at SMU?

huh? he's nowhere near the discussion. his career resume says that he's probably not even good enough for SMU (he's 45-38 in the AAC and that includes a 17-1 season). he's also 62 years old. why would Texas want him?

Edited by shadow_operative

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not really true

Shrug. If you say so. Every Illinois fan (alumni, boosters, etc) I've ever met is way more invested in basketball than football-- the 2005 Final Four was a much bigger deal to them than the 2008 Rose Bowl for example (or that Sugar Bowl they somehow ended up in a few years before that), although I guess that's not apples/apples. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Shrug. If you say so. Every Illinois fan (alumni, boosters, etc) I've ever met is way more invested in basketball than football-- the 2005 Final Four was a much bigger deal to them than the 2008 Rose Bowl for example, although I guess that's not apples/apples. 

I've spent a ton of time in C-U, with lifelong family there along with close friends and immediate family who went to school there.  I'd probably put it like this:  they would love to have a national championship caliber football team, moreso than basketball, but the reality of the situation is that it's just never gonna happen.  As a practical matter, they emotionally invest more in basketball, because at least then they're in the conversation for conference championships and beyond. 

8 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Why not Travis Mays at SMU? 

25 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

While I agree with the overall gist of what you're saying and the ridiculous names he's throwing out, Travis Mays is currently a head coach, albeit in the women's game. 

Well there might be some nostalgia for Travis Mays,  dude has had ISSUES at SMU.  Pressuring injured players to play, leading to being medically disqualified months after and losing scholarships, creating  an abusive culture.  

He's not Gregg Marshall, but I'd take a hard pass on Mays, period. 

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've spent a ton of time in C-U, with lifelong family there along with close friends and immediate family who went to school there.  I'd probably put it like this:  they would love to have a national championship caliber football team, moreso than basketball, but the reality of the situation is that it's just never gonna happen.  As a practical matter, they emotionally invest more in basketball, because at least then they're in the conversation for conference championships and beyond. 

yeah, that seems about right

11 hours ago, JWinTX said:

Why not look at Tim Jankovich at SMU?

Jank is only coaching here because (apparently) the finances weren't in the pipeline to can him and bring someone else on after last season. None of the higher ups at SMU think that Jank is a long term guy or have even wanted him around for as long as he's been here already. 

He's probably a better coach than Shaka (which is proving to be a pretty low fucking bar) but he isn't a good recruiter and at Texas that wouldn't fly. The SMU job is a little too big for him. Let alone the job at Texas.

And LOL at Travis Mays. Our women's team is fucking awful. Have at him.

Edited by ztejas

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Based upon my sample size of two (law school roommate that was an alum and good friend from there) that sounds dead on. 

question: has Shaka Smart developed even one single player during his time at Texas? because i can't name one. i mean, i look at the guys who've played the most under him, guys like Kerwin Roach, Jericho Sims, Courtney Ramey, Matt Coleman, etc, and aside from getting a little bigger and perhaps marginally better as they age, there's been no real growth, no steady development, no honing them into efficient players who stick to what they're good at while stripping away their bad habits and mistakes. something to show that the coach actually influenced said changes, something that says that we can't simply chalk up any and all improvement to the mere fact that these guys play basketball for a living. i haven't seen that from any of our players over these last six years, and that is a huge fucking bummer being that our previous coach was pretty awesome at developing talent, a key factor in our amazing decade of the aughts. To wit:

•Royal Ivey was able to change his game multiple times as a Longhorn, despite "not being good enough for Texas" to begin with. The year after TJ left, Ivey led Texas to a 25-8 (12-4) record, a second place finish in the Big XII, and a trip to the Sweet 16, all while playing out of position. The only other future NBAer on that team was a freshman PJ Tucker. 

•Speaking of Tucker, he went from a no-name 2* recruit to the Big XII POY in three years under Barnes. He never shot threes, because he wasn't any good at them (what a concept!), however his FT% went from .650, to .716, to .747 over three years. From a limited role player to a well rounded All American in three seasons. That is what coaching does for you.

•Dexter Pittman. Wow. You talk about developing somebody. Barnes knew he had his work cut out for him with the 400+ lb Pittman, but he and Coach Wright took on the challenge and made it happen. Pittman went from being instantly winded upon entering the game as a freshman, to going for 23 points, 15 rebounds, and 2 blocks as a senior in a huge win over UNC at Jerryworld. What a transformation.

Now that's just three examples of player development under Barnes- one from the early 2000's, one from the mid 2000's, and one from the late 2000's. We all know that I could list plenty more from Barnes' time here. Hell, this whole time that Shaka has been at Texas idly watching his players stagnate, Barnes has been developing guys who nobody wanted into All Conference and All American players by the boatload over at Tennessee. We got spoiled having a coach who was constantly developing talent, and now we are seeing what it's like to have a coach who is incapable of doing so. Whoever replaces Shaka *must* have the ability to develop talent. 

In fact, i'll throw out a realistic name right now who has a great track record for developing talent, and it's a guy whose name i brought up years ago: Eric Musselman. he earned his stripes and made his name by developing players in the CBA and getting them to the league. He's a far superior coach to Shaka, and he's a very likable, outgoing guy. I wanted him then and I still want him now. He would be an extremely refreshing change of pace from this milquetoast fraud we currently have running our program, and we would actually see our players grow and improve over time. How nice that would be. 

Same story different year

Shaka is the aggy roller coaster personified. Every year we build up a decent win total and upset some good team. Then big 12 play begins, coaching starts to matter and so does team chemistry... and per par, we fall apart and lose every game. This year we will actually make the tournament, if I was a betting man, I would put money we get upset. 

• Rage+1 1

Yea today’s game feels like the entire coaching tenure under Shaka. Reminds me of Herman, every fucking game it’s close and a nail biter and full of wtf plays, shots and turnovers and crazy swing in momentum. Then the apologists confuse all of it with “man this team fights and won’t give up”. No, blowing leads or coming back every game for years is a pattern of how bad of a coach. A team that fights also blows teams out it should blow out.

22 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Except for baylor, doesn't this current TEXAS team have the best roster and most experience??

This should be the 2nd place team in B12 right??

That is the impression I had, that with 2 NBA draft picks on the team, and lots of experience coming back.  Looks like we will be 10 and 7 since beginning of calendar year.  I guess you chalk up the OU loss to covid.   Any others?

heres what we've done since the huge Kansas win at Allen Fieldhouse:

90A1C7DD-05BE-45CB-90B8-4D37014986DB.jpeg

not only did we just barely scrape by a terrible ISU team, but also remember that Andrew Jones hit a last second three to beat WVU, narrowly escaping defeat. then we're 4-6 since that time, including a three point win against an NAIA level K State team, and that oh so important comeback win against the worst KU team in two decades.

this is what Shaka does in year six at Texas, with a team that has a Final Four caliber roster. CDC allowing this man to continue coaching here would be no different from Shaka watching his team take 20 terrible threes every game and just sitting there and watching it like there's nothing he can do about it, or worse, like he's actually fine with it.

Edited by shadow_operative

Craig Way just said "zero FG's" in the final 4 minutes for TEXAS.
Failure to execute late in games -- that's a Shaka coached team
DAMN IT !!!
We also had zero FGs in the first 9 minutes of the second half.

Coleman hit a 3 at the buzzer to end the first half and then for the next nine minutes out of the gate we didn't make a single FG until Brock drained a three right at the 11:00 mark.

I am fed up with Shaka and have been for years. I thought this might be the year where talent and experience outshine bad coaching, silly me.

Our best roster under Shaka is still getting swept by Tech in a down year for them. Coaching is the difference.

Unfortunately, I don’t see us firing Shaka yet. I feel like we roll into next year with Shaka at the helm and a roster much worse than this year. We’ll cut ties in 2022 after another underwhelming season to drum up some hype with a new coach before opening Moody center.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

We also had zero FGs in the first 9 minutes of the second half.

Coleman hit a 3 at the buzzer to end the first half and then for the next nine minutes out of the gate we didn't make a single FG until Brock drained a three right at the 11:00 mark.

We went 13 minutes out of 20 without a made basket? Good lord. 

heres what we've done since the huge Kansas win at Allen Fieldhouse:

90A1C7DD-05BE-45CB-90B8-4D37014986DB.jpeg.248f68ac73cb1c31ce3a977ca19efa02.jpeg
not only did we just barely scrape by a terrible ISU team, but also remember that Andrew Jones hit a last second three to beat WVU, narrowly escaping defeat. then we're 4-6 since that time, including a three point win against an NAIA level K State team, and that oh so important comeback win against the worst KU team in two decades.
this is what Shaka does in year six at Texas, with a team that has a Final Four caliber roster. CDC allowing this man to continue coaching here would be no different from Shaka watching his team take 20 terrible threes every game and just sitting there and watching it like there's nothing he can do about it, or worse, like he's actually fine with it.

Final four caliber roster your ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fuck You 2

12 minutes ago, SunUvAbitchMarcos said:

Final four caliber roster your ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i called it a final four caliber roster in my OP of the season thread, because that's what it is. LonghornMatt called it a FF caliber roster maybe three or four days ago; because that's what it is. three veteran guards, two lottery picks for the upcoming draft, and more length and athleticism than 99% of teams in the country. give this roster to Roy Williams, Mark Few, or even Chris Beard, and yeah- there's no doubt they could make the FF. This team started the year ranked #9 by kenpom for reason. 

I am fed up with Shaka and have been for years. I thought this might be the year where talent and experience outshine bad coaching, silly me.

Our best roster under Shaka is still getting swept by Tech in a down year for them. Coaching is the difference.

Unfortunately, I don’t see us firing Shaka yet. I feel like we roll into next year with Shaka at the helm and a roster much worse than this year. We’ll cut ties in 2022 after another underwhelming season to drum up some hype with a new coach before opening Moody center.

Amen

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic