Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

2 hours ago, maninblack said:

You can be happy about the championship without losing a grip on reality

as I said before this is great but also feels a lot like "stars aligning" Mackovic beating Nebraska in 1996. 

a elite 8 run would be nice but I'd  have way more confidence in a guy whose teams go S16,R32,E8, R32, R32 than nothing, nothing, nothing, F4,  R32, R64

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, maninblack said:

You can be happy about the championship without losing a grip on reality

as I said before this is great but also feels a lot like "stars aligning" Mackovic beating Nebraska in 1996. 

a elite 8 run would be nice but I'd  have way more confidence in a guy whose teams go S16,R32,E8, R32, R32 than nothing, nothing, nothing, F4,  R32, R64

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

We beat Okie State.

Yay?

Well we beat one of the hottest teams in the country who over the past couple of weeks have beaten 7 ranked teams. 

They have wins over the following since the end of January: 

• Projected 3 seed Arkansas
  • Projected 3 seed Texas
  • Projected 5 seed Tech
  • Projected 8 seed OU twice
  • Projected 4 seed WV twice
  • Projected 1 seed Baylor

(All based on Lunardi's bracket)

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

He's signed five full classes (ignoring the transition class with some recruits he inherited from Barnes).

Yeah. I was probably unclear. What I mean is guys graduating are the 2nd class he signed at Texas, right? So this is basically year 2 of him having seniors he worked with for 4 full years, correct?

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Well we beat one of the hottest teams in the country who over the past couple of weeks have beaten 7 ranked teams. 

They have wins over the following since the end of January:

• Projected 3 seed Texas who missed 90 points worth of threes and didn't score a basket for 12 minutes because must play wild and undisciplined shakastreetball

fify

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, maninblack said:

You missed months of basketball

Actually watched all the games bro

So Baylor got the automatic bid to the ncaa tournament as big 12 conference champions? Weird I must have missed that.

I’m actually sad for all of you who have such a hard on to hate on Shaka that you actively shit on our CONFERENCE CHAMPION team 

I would have been fine with him being fired 2 years ago. You can probably find posts from me advocating it. But I’m not gonna be a little wimp and hate on our team or our accomplishments this season. They’re a great team with the potential to make some noise here. Shaka deserves credit for that.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

So Baylor got the automatic bid to the ncaa tournament as big 12 conference champions? Weird I must have missed that.

I’m actually sad for all of you who have such a hard on to hate on Shaka that you actively shit on our CONFERENCE CHAMPION team 

I would have been fine with him being fired 2 years ago. You can probably find posts from me advocating it. But I’m not gonna be a little wimp and hate on our team or our accomplishments this season. They’re a great team with the potential to make some noise here. Shaka deserves credit for that.

We didn't win the conference championship this year. We won the conference's post-season tournament. Those are not the same thing; that is a fact. You are badly informed about college basketball if you aren't aware of that.

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, SwanderedTalent said:

We didn't win the conference championship this year. We won the conference's post-season tournament. Those are not the same thing; that is a fact. You are badly informed about college basketball if you aren't aware of that.

this.  its great that we finally won the 3 game(2 game) tournament but it has nothing on a conf championship.

only in the one bid leagues does the conf tournament override the season conf championship.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

So the winner of the regular season gets the automatic NCAA bid as a conference champion?

This is not a hard concept here. Who does the NCAA recognize as the conference champions?

You think whoever won the America East or whatever regular season but lost the conference tournament is all “bUt We’rE tHe CoNfEreNCe ChAmPiOnS?!?!?!?!?” Give me a break.

30 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Actually, you're the one who seems to be misinformed. It may be dumb, but Texas won the Big 12 Men's Basketball Championship this year. The conference recognizes the tournament winners as conference champions. 

It's true that winning the regular season championship is more impressive, more reflective of being the best team, and a better predictor of NCAA tournament success. But you're just wrong when you claim Texas didn't win the conference championship. Perhaps you missed all the graphics released by the Big 12 Conference declaring Texas as Big 12 champions. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

I don’t think Shaka is the answer, but I certainly ain’t complaining right now. Hell of an accomplishment. Only thing that would’ve made it better is having a true 3-0 vs Kansas. For the first time in a long time, I’m actually excited about MM. I’ll still have a bracket with Texas winning it all like I do every year, but this time I’m fairly confident it will be more accurate than the one where we go out in the first game. Good win, Shaka. Good win, team. Hook em!

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Cool. Again you can be happy about a tournament championship without losing a grip on reality.

remember a couple of years ago when the talk of the league was all about how Kansas "finally didn't win the league for once"? or how big a deal it was that KU had won something like 13 straight Big XII titles? how about the fact that literally everyone has referred to yesterday's win as "Texas' first conference tourney win" and not "Texas' first ever Big XII title"? does that mean anything to anyone? 

also, a pretty simple follow-up question:

before the season you get to choose: Texas wins the outright Big XII regular season title, or Texas wins the conference tourney. which do you choose? 

• Hook 'Em 1

remember a couple of years ago when the talk of the league was all about how Kansas "finally didn't win the league for once"? or how big a deal it was that KU had won something like 13 straight Big XII titles? how about the fact that literally everyone has referred to yesterday's win as "Texas' first conference tourney win" and not "Texas' first ever Big XII title"? does that mean anything to anyone? 
also, a pretty simple follow-up question:
before the season you get to choose: Texas wins the outright Big XII regular season title, or Texas wins the conference tourney. which do you choose? 

It don't make a shit
  • Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

also, a pretty simple follow-up question:   before the season you get to choose: Texas wins the outright Big XII regular season title, or Texas wins the conference tourney. which do you choose? 

Hell I'm just glad that TEXAS Basketball finally won a B12 Championship Tournament... 🤘

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Hell I'm just glad that TEXAS Basketball finally won a B12 Championship Tournament... 🤘

Agreed. The only thing that worries me is that the team seemed a little too excited about it tbh. 

11 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

This class is Shakas 2nd recruiting class at Texas, right? 

Great team with a ton of fight, conference champions, almost dominant all year except for the Rona induced hiccup midway through the season, shot at a deep ncaa tournament run.

Yeah fire that MFer already! Great idea boys!

JFC 🤦🏼‍♂️

this isn't football.  he has won ZERO NCAA tournament games in 5 years.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Can we at least have the self-respect to wait until something good happens in the real tournament before firing off the “Mission Accomplished!  Lock this thread!” posts?  You low-standards-having motherfuckers.  

We've been in a drought forever, we finally see a cup of water and after crawling over to it, you Mutombo the fuck out of it.  We start the crawl over to the ocean now I guess.  But damn I wanted that cup of water.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Can we at least have the self-respect to wait until something good happens in the real tournament before firing off the “Mission Accomplished!  Lock this thread!” posts?  You low-standards-having motherfuckers.  

dude BIG 12 CHAMPS!  we beat Tech and OkState!

9 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

We've been in a drought forever, we finally see a cup of water and after crawling over to it, you Mutombo the fuck out of it.  We start the crawl over to the ocean now I guess.  But damn I wanted that cup of water.  

salt water is just going to dehydrate you and shut down your vital organs.

23 hours ago, Blotto said:

Agreed. The only thing that worries me is that the team seemed a little too excited about it tbh. 

They beat a team that they were 0-2 against and then a team that in their last meeting they lost to in double OT to finally fill a pretty glaring empty spot in the ol' trophy case.

I have doubts about this team but I haven't doubted their focus or motivation all year. (Except maybe one guy)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Yeah he really shit the bed in last years tournament 🙄

nope but he shit the bed in the previous 4 years.  2 of which he didn't even make the tournament and 1 of those being the worst record in 35 years at Texas.  Rick Barnes had more NCAA tournament wins in his last 2 years that Shaka has in 5.

hopefully he figures it out.  I've been waiting

Edited by dcar00

14 hours ago, Js1 said:

The conference awards both.

And considering we haven't won either since 2008 (co-champs), I'm not going to quibble over one or the other.  It's nice to have hardware. 

Yes. Given our recent history, we're not really in a position to be turning up our nose at any genuine glimmer of success.

Now if we can just get a decent performance in the big tournament. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 12:25 AM, dcar00 said:

this isn't football.  he has won ZERO NCAA tournament games in 5 years.  

there's this weird thing going on right now where people are coming out of the woodwork to either overly praise Shaka for this year (eg claim that he's "turned the program around" or "finally come good"), or what's more, to demand that anyone who's ever criticized him to eat crow. again, it's just so weird.

anyone who knew anything about Texas Hoops knew that this roster was special; we were always supposed to be good this year. there was zero denying the roster that Shaka had assembled, only questions about what he would do with said fantastic roster. on January 12th it looked like Shaka would maximize this roster, which meant Final Four expectations and hopes of a Big XII title. by February 7th it looked like Shaka was going to waste all of his talent by tanking the season and finishing 7th in the league. in the end we wound up as the conference tourney champ and a 3 seed in the Dance. the season was definitely saved with that late run, but does that erase the past/change expectations going forward? i don't think so. i'm just hoping that this team plays to its potential and makes a deep tourney run, because if we don't do it now then who the hell knows when we will. 

• Hook 'Em 3

48 minutes ago, dogbreath said:

When Shaka moves on I’ll take Tad Boyle. 

no thank you. in 10 years at CU his best ever conference finish is T-3rd, and he (now) has a total of 2 tourney wins in five appearances. plus he'll be 60 soon. i definitely want someone younger, or if not, then someone more established. i'm still pissed that we didn't go after Musselman. 

Rick Pitino if we are serious about trying to win a national title. 
we aren’t a basketball school so we wouldn’t do that- but I don’t know if he’s any worse than the hoops equivalent of Urban Meyer who we offered our firstborn to try to get. 
age isn’t a big deal- we don’t ha e to hire someone that’s going to be here 20 years. There’s no harm in hiring someone that will give us 5 solid years and then be ready to move on. 
I think there is a solid argument to be made that the shelf life for a job at UT is best at 5-8 years. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

remember when Fred Hoiberg was like the dream candidate? man has that guy fallen off a cliff. dude was a god at ISU. looks like he never should have left. hell, he should probably be their next HC.

Can we money whip Musselman? God damn Arkansas was fun to watch last night. He was doing what we hired Shaka to do. His offense was just beautiful to watch last night 

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic