Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

2 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Well, hello, all. Glad to see some many posters have migrated to the new site. It's going to be fun. 

This may have already been stated, but should Shaka's VCU story be more about his miraculous Final Four run or more that his team only came in as an 11th seed?   

That team never should have even been in the tourney. And his VCU story for me is about recruiting several NBA players to the CAA and A-10 and never winning the league in 6 seasons, making him the oddity for VCU coaches. None of the VCU coaches surrounding his tenure recruited as much talent as he did, yet none of them failed to win a conference title either. He’s a fraud.

Guest Camel

Earbucket is not me. Notice how he says he's "unhappy with Shaka." I am not unhappy with Shaka. I believe he's a good basketball coach for the University of Texas. I believe he just needs time to build his program. Fuckin Rome was not built in a day.

1 hour ago, Guest Camel said:

Earbucket is not me. Notice how he says he's "unhappy with Shaka." I am not unhappy with Shaka. I believe he's a good basketball coach for the University of Texas. I believe he just needs time to build his program. Fuckin Rome was not built in a day.

So then why have the likes of TCU and Tennessee, programs worth far fewer resources and far inferior recruits, been able to turn their programs around so quickly? 

Guest Camel
13 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

So then why have the likes of TCU and Tennessee, programs worth far fewer resources and far inferior recruits, been able to turn their programs around so quickly? 

Because sometimes fortune smiles on you and sometimes it doesn't.

James Banks was a top 50 recruit according to Scout last year, while Grant Williams didn't crack the top 100. But Grant Williams was 1st team all-SEC for Tennessee this year, and James Banks barely got minutes. I guess you can make the argument that Barnes has coached his guy up better than we have, but that's probably not the case. It's probably just that Williams was a much better player all along and the recruiting assessment was flawed.

That's just one example, but the point is you can be a good coach and take a while to build a good team, you can also be a bad coach and luck into a good team quickly. Because there is luck of the draw involved.

Guest Camel
13 hours ago, immortal13 said:

We are going in the wrong direction. How can anyone be happy about that?

Last year we finished 70th in the nation. This year we finished 36th (according to kenpom.com). How is that going backwards?

13 minutes ago, Guest Camel said:

Because sometimes fortune smiles on you and sometimes it doesn't.

James Banks was a top 50 recruit according to Scout last year, while Grant Williams didn't crack the top 100. But Grant Williams was 1st team all-SEC for Tennessee this year, and James Banks barely got minutes. I guess you can make the argument that Barnes has coached his guy up better than we have, but that's probably not the case. It's probably just that Williams was a much better player all along and the recruiting assessment was flawed.

That's just one example, but the point is you can be a good coach and take a while to build a good team, you can also be a bad coach and luck into a good team quickly. Because there is luck of the draw involved.

Scout =/= actual scouting

14 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

For both teams it's actually fairly simple.  Both coaches walked into a situation where they had a very strong junior class year 1.  Those classes bought into the coaches philosophy and had some success.  Both coaches also brought in some very nice complementary pieces that meshed well with the current team.  This helped both schools to have even more success in year 2, still driven almost entirely by the now senior class.  This next season will be a bigger example of how good both coaches actually are than either of the past 2 seasons.

8 minutes ago, txhorns said:

For both teams it's actually fairly simple.  Both coaches walked into a situation where they had a very strong junior class year 1.  Those classes bought into the coaches philosophy and had some success.  Both coaches also brought in some very nice complementary pieces that meshed well with the current team.  This helped both schools to have even more success in year 2, still driven almost entirely by the now senior class.  This next season will be a bigger example of how good both coaches actually are than either of the past 2 seasons.

Come on man. Barnes and Dixon walked into better situations? Give me a break. Not by a million miles. There isn’t a coach in the country who would rather walk into Dixon or Barnes’ situation over Shaka’s. Both programs were embarrassing until they hired good, experienced coaches. That’s the difference.

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Come on man. Barnes and Dixon walked into better situations? Give me a break. Not by a million miles. There isn’t a coach in the country who would rather walk into Dixon or Barnes’ situation over Shaka’s. Both programs were embarrassing until they hired good, experienced coaches. That’s the difference.

Damnit for some reason I thought you said Tech not Tennessee.  My bad on that.  Also i never compared either situation to what Shaka walked into at Texas.

42 minutes ago, Guest Camel said:

Last year we finished 70th in the nation. This year we finished 36th (according to kenpom.com). How is that going backwards?

I'm not basing my opinion on some computer metric. We got bounced in the first round with a NBA lottery pick on our team. And frankly, the outlook for next year looks worse. We are not moving in a positive direction

How are we going backwards? Is that a serious question? Rick Barnes was here for nearly two decades and he never had a three year stretch this bad. Take away Shaka’s first year when his entire team was Barnes’ players and Rick *really* never had a two year stretch this bad. In Shaka’s two seasons with his own guys we are 30-37 (12-24)....that’s right, 12-24 in the conference the last two seasons, and that was with plenty of All-Conference/NBA talent on the rosters. And next year’s team clearly looks to be inferior to the one we just had. How anyone can be so self deluded to assert otherwise is mind blowing.

Edited by Goo Punch

2 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Barnes would not have done any better in 2016-2017 than Shaka did.  In fact he might have done worse.

lol wut. Barnes has never had a single season in his three decade head coaching career that was even remotely close to being that shitty. How can you say these things and believe them? 

Well for starters our roster would have been even worse under Barnes.  He would not have gotten Jones to Texas and there is a very good chance Allen goes elsewhere.  We lost 80% of all production after Shaka's first year.  That is poor roster management by Barnes.  This is not on Shaka as he didn't get his first class to Texas until the Jones/Allen class.  Derka/Goo Punch, you keep saying that Shaka should have completely overhauled his roster in 1 year.  Please list for me the coaches who have done this in their 1st 2 years on the job and had a successful season.

• Fuck You 1

Okay, so after making what’s probably the most insane assertion in the short history of this new site, you back it up with, “Derka, you keep on saying (insert something I’ve literally never said)”. We’re done here. You and your delusions carry on living in fantasy land.

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Okay, so after making what’s probably the most insane assertion in the short history of this new site, you back it up with, “Derka, you keep on saying (insert something I’ve literally never said)”. We’re done here. You and your delusions carry on living in fantasy land.

So you couldn't come up with anyone?

• Fuck You 1

Guest earbucket

This thread should be renamed Smart v. Barnes.

Barnes was a fantastic coach at Texas from year 1998-2009.  But something happened (I think it was when he quit cussing) and he began to recruit like we were on double secret probation.  He began to have misgivings.  Didn't want to

2010-11 - 9 scholarship players.  Don't count the walkons who got scholarships.

2011-12 - 9 scholarship players.

2012-13 - 11 scholarship players.

2013-14 - 10 scholarship players.

2014-15 - 11 scholarship players and Croaker left after game 5.

So based on above,  txhorns argument carries more weight than Derka's argument of insufferable pity.

8 hours ago, txhorns said:

Well for starters our roster would have been even worse under Barnes.  He would not have gotten Jones to Texas and there is a very good chance Allen goes elsewhere.  We lost 80% of all production after Shaka's first year.  That is poor roster management by Barnes.  This is not on Shaka as he didn't get his first class to Texas until the Jones/Allen class.  Derka/Goo Punch, you keep saying that Shaka should have completely overhauled his roster in 1 year.  Please list for me the coaches who have done this in their 1st 2 years on the job and had a successful season.

1 hour ago, Guest earbucket said:

This thread should be renamed Smart v. Barnes.

Barnes was a fantastic coach at Texas from year 1998-2009.  But something happened (I think it was when he quit cussing) and he began to recruit like we were on double secret probation.  He began to have misgivings.  Didn't want to

2010-11 - 9 scholarship players.  Don't count the walkons who got scholarships.

2011-12 - 9 scholarship players.

2012-13 - 11 scholarship players.

2013-14 - 10 scholarship players.

2014-15 - 11 scholarship players and Croaker left after game 5.

So based on above,  txhorns argument carries more weight than Derka's argument of insufferable pity.

I can’t believe I’m having this conversation but HELLO! Rick Barnes inherited a similar situation at Tennessee and he still did better than Shaka with *way* leas talent. All of his top players from his first team were seniors and dead weight, and the roster turnover was drastic. He went and signed a whole shit load of recruits and transfers, and now he has a top 10 team that just won the SEC and was awarded a 3 seed. So that, plus the facts that Rick never had a year that bad in his entire careeer *and* is a clearly superior coach lends me to believe that txhorn’s argument is a completely stupid and pointless one! “Could Rick Barnes have won more than 11 games with a roster that included Jarrett Allen, Andrew Jones, Tevin Mack, and Kerwin Roach, et al.” Uh, yeah, I very firmly believe he could have based on literally 100% of the statistical, anecdotal, and empirical evidence available. Jesus Christ...

what a stupid fucking argument.

oh yeah! Let’s also not forget that Roach and Davis were coming off All Conference years when Texas won 11 games under Shaka Smart. Brilliant job done, you should definitely keep coming up with arguments which say that *anyone* could have had a worse year as HC of that team. Definitely a smart and worthwhile endeavor.

Edited by Goo Punch

21 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Roach and Davis were not coming off of all conference years.  They were named to the Big 12 All Newcomer list.  There is a big difference.

Standard Derka nonsense. Roach and Davis didn't even make the 1st, 2nd or 3rd team All-Big 12 teams. 

Edit: They weren't even an honorable mention. 

This is so hilariously Derka to paint Roach and Davis as "all conference players" to try and make a point. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Jesus Christ you drama queens. Both players made the All Newcomer team, which is one of the All-Conference teams. You are so petty and combative  when it comes to me that you will grasp at any straw possible just to argue over it. You knew exactly what I meant when I said that. 

Edited by Goo Punch

13 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Rick Barnes was here for nearly two decades and he never had a three year stretch this bad. 

Barnes final 3 years at Texas. 94th in Kenpom, 41st in Kenpom, 24th in Kenpom (53 average). 12-32 against top 50 teams (.27 percent winning percentage). 

Shaka in his first 3 years at Texas. 36th in Kenpom, 70th in Kenpom, 39th in Kenpom (48.3 average). 16-28 against top 50 teams (.36 percent winning percentage). 

Barnes picked up more wins during those 3 year stretches simply because of an easier strength of schedule. Shaka with an average of 11 SOS during those 3 years and Barnes with an average of 53 SOS during those 3 years (per ESPN RPI). 

The funniest thing about these numbers is you continually say "Barnes left Shaka a loaded team". When in actually the main group of players that Shaka inherited in year 1 were worse under Barnes' final 3 years than the metrics indicate in Shakas first 3 years. You can't have it both ways. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

But hey, let’s get back to the point. The point with that was simply that Roach and Davis werecoming off of freshmen campaigns in which they made the All Conferencenewcomer team. Ergo they were talented players who had already had success in the Big XII.

so we had-

G- Kerwin Roach, coming off a season in which he made the All Newcomer team, andwiched between that and a year in which he made the honorable mention team

G- Eric Davis Jr- Coming off a year in which he also made the All Newcomer team, along with shooting 38% from 3 and 80% from the line

G- Andrew Jones- a HS All American, great athlete, good shooter, with an all-around game

F- Tevin Mack- A versatile forward who soke basketball scholars referred to as a poor man’s Reggie Freeman. A tall, rangey forward who can really score

C- Jarrett Allen- another HS All American, the #1 HS center in the country, and a one-and-done player who would average 16.3 pts, 9.8 rebounds, and 1.7 blocks per game during conference. 

Bench:

Shaq Cleare, Kendal Yancy, Jacob Young, Mariek Isom, and James Banks

And your argument, one that Shaka defenders have been making for a very long time, is that no coach out there really could have done any better than 11 total wins and a 4-14 conference record. Give me a break. Literally dozens of not hundreds of coaches absolutely would have done better than Shaka Smart. How you believe otherwise is beyond comprehension.

Edited by Goo Punch

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Barnes final 3 years at Texas. 94th in Kenpom, 41st in Kenpom, 24th in Kenpom (53 average). 12-32 against top 50 teams (.27 percent winning percentage). 

Shaka in his first 3 years at Texas. 36th in Kenpom, 70th in Kenpom, 39th in Kenpom (48.3 average). 16-28 against top 50 teams (.36 percent winning percentage). 

Barnes picked up more wins during those 3 year stretches simply because of an easier strength of schedule. Shaka with an average of 11 SOS during those 3 years and Barnes with an average of 53 SOS during those 3 years (per ESPN RPI). 

The funniest thing about these numbers is you continually say "Barnes left Shaka a loaded team" when in actuality the main part of that group was worse under Barnes than the first 3 years with Shaka. 

I continuously say “Barnes left Shaka with a loaded team”. Once again I’m being told that I continuously say something that I’ve literally never said. It’s not even believable that I would call that team “loaded”. I remember what I said- I said it was a team that was loaded with experienced talent, which it was. A team stocked with a bunch of upperclassmen who were good college players. That’s not the same thing as referring to a team as “loaded”. Duke next year will be loaded. 2015-16 Texas was not loaded and I didn’t describe them as such.

Edited by Goo Punch

18 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I continuously say “Barnes left Shaka with a loaded team”. Once again I’m being told that I continuously say something that I’ve literally never said. Not even once. But Okie dokie, just keep making shit up out of thin air.

What a liar. How many times on shaggy did you go crazy over Lammert, Ibeh, Ridley, and Isaiah Taylor?

We literally had a 10 page discussion on this where several people tried to tell you there wasn't that much NBA talent on the '15-16 team and that you were drastically overvaluing the roster that Shaka inherited. 

You were hyping the hell out of the '15-16 team that Shaka inherited. When in reality the main group of guys on that team were worse in Barnes final 3 years than in Shaka's first 3 years at Texas. But good try. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Maybe you really do believe the things you type. Maybe you really do believe that we had a 10 page discssuion where people explained to me that most of that roster wasn’t NBA talent. Maybe you really do believe that me listing the factual stats and accomplishments of those players constitutes “drastically overvaluing” that roster.  You’ve always seemed to believe this kind of literally unbelievable thing- so maybe that’s just it. You actually believe all of that. 

But again, why am I perplexed? You also literally believe that Shaka has done a good job, and that coaches don’t really matter all that much anyway. Why should I be surprised in anything you believe.

Edited by Goo Punch

Let me pull out some receipts. Correction you didn't say it was a "loaded team" you said it was a "top 25 roster". So yeah, you were absolutely hyping that roster/team. Again, good try. 

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/176557-Fire-Shaka-Smart/page3

"There's no denying last year's team had talent. Just not nearly as much as you think because you are a Rick Barnes fanboy. You keep hyping a roster that averaged 14 losses a year, won 1 tournament game and had ZERO players drafted. You can scream at the top of your lungs about it being a deep, talented, and top 25 roster. It doesn't mean you are right. The results pretty much show that roster peaked at about 11 to 14 losses a year with an outside shot of winning a tournament game. For being a "top 25 roster" it's amazing how they never finished in the top 25 in 4 years."

Edited by texasstrong12

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/176557-Fire-Shaka-Smart/page5

"Many people, especially TexasStrong, are confusing potential with talent. Jarrett Allen has more potential than Connor Lammert, that's undeniable; but seeing that Connor can shoot threes, put the ball on the floor, is an outstanding high post passer, and a great offensive rebounder with real rebounding acumen (anticipation, positioning, timing, strength, etc), it's also undeniable that 2015-16 Connor Lammert has more talent than 2016-17 Jarrett Allen. Last year's team had tons of college talent. Learn it, love it, live it, accept it. Shaka didn't do enough with the talent he had. It's time to face reality."

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/176557-Fire-Shaka-Smart/page3

"His team was 11 players deep with experience, athleticism, and good collegiate talent everywhere. He had a top 25 roster and he didn't exactly shine with it." 

More receipts. Yeah, Derka you weren't "drastically overvaluing" that team at all. Connor Lammert has more talent than Jarrett Allen. 9_9

Edited by texasstrong12

In context I said that Connor Lammert could dribble, pass, and shoot better than Allen which he absolutely could. I said that he had more basketball talent than Allen which he did. That doesn’t mean he’s a better player- it means exactly what it says. One guy can dunk and rebound while the other can dunk, rebound, put the ball on the floor, shoot from the perimeter, and is a good passer from the high post.  Which one has more basketball talent? And Jesus, the number of petty, tangential arguments you start is a beating. You’re like a jilted girlfriend. You get off in arguing with anything I say. It’s so weird.

Also, that 2016 team absolutely should have been a top 25 team. 1st team All-conference and future NBA PG, Conference DPOY at center, Honorable Mention All Conference SG, two freshmen who made the All-Newcomer team, and that doesn’t even mention the first half of the year when we were had a healthy Cam Ridley (averaging a double double plus 3.5 blocks)shooting, size, athleticism... You are absolutely delusional if you don’t that THAT adds up to a top 25 team. The guy who jizzed himself every time he talks about how good the conference is says that a team chock full of expoerince and All Conference players could never have been ranked team with a better coach. Yeah.

Edited by Goo Punch

32 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I said that he had more basketball talent than Allen which he did. 

Also, that 2016 team absolutely should have been a top 25 team. 

1-Only in Derka's imaginary world does somebody like Connor Lammert have more "basketball talent" than Allen. 

2-You keep saying the '16 team was a "top 25 team and roster". Here's some facts for you. 

A) In 4 years most of that group finished 39th, 24th, 41st, and 94th in Kenpom

B) in 4 years most of that group finished 27th, 42nd, 37th, and 116th in RPI. 

C) They won 1 tournament game against a program that hasn't won a tournament game since '09. 

D) They did not finish ranked in the  '15-16, '14-15, '13-14, or '12-13 final AP Top 25. They only received votes in 2 of those years. 

E) They never finished ranked in the top 25 of the final coaches poll. 

F) The '15 roster which had a healthy Ridley, a lottery pick in Turner, and Holmes finished unranked and lost in the first round of the tournament. The '15 roster was better than the '16 roster and they  weren't even a top 35 to 40 team. 

All the data suggest the '16 team was not a "top 25 roster". Outside of your love for Rick Barnes players like Lammert you have nothing to prove your point. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Somehow every basketball thread on this site turns into you arguing with me over some semantical detail, followed by you searching through my old posts so that you argue about those with me as well. Your grudge against me is unhealthy, and this site needs the ignore feature.

Jesus Christ, I actually just read your last post. You, the guy who won’t stfu about how giving players time to develop and grow is paramount and how it’s going to change everything around here, just used rankings and numbers from that team’s underclassmen years to “prove” that their most seasoned, developed team didn’t have the pieces to be ranked. That’s rich, and its classic you.

i gotta say, you are the closest thing I’ve seen to Rocko. You constantly run and look up stats or numbers and then run back here and use them in a way that doesn’t prove what you think it does. And you somehow don’t see it. Members of the 2016 team actually winning awards and accolades means nothing to you, but citing a whole buttload of irrelevant stats from previous seasons is a solid argument in your mind. You even present all proud of yourself like Rocko would. It’s seriously fascinating.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Jesus Christ, I actually just read your last post. You, the guy who won’t stfu about how giving players time to develop and grow is paramount and how it’s going to change everything around here, just used rankings and numbers from that team’s underclassmen years to “prove” that their most seasoned, developed team didn’t have the pieces to be ranked. That’s rich, and its classic you.

They weren't a top 25 team even in Barnes final year. 

Ya know when most of those guys were JRs. Also, when they had Turner and Holmes. Also when Ridley was actually healthy. 

The roster you keep hyping as a "top 25 roster" was never a top 25 roster. It wasn't when Shaka coached them, it wasn't when Barnes coached them. It wasn't when they were young or old. 

Edited by texasstrong12

29 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Members of the 2016 team actually winning awards and accolades means nothing to you

Hilarious. You care about all conference awards voted on by coaches yet you ignore the top 25 rankings like the coaches poll that actually tell you we weren't a top 25 team. 

Are you trying to make my argument for me? 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Somehow every basketball thread on this site turns into you arguing with me over some semantical detail, followed by you searching through my old posts so that you argue about those with me as well. Your grudge against me is unhealthy, and this site needs the ignore feature.

Yeah this is annoying...isn't it?

Guest Camel
5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

But hey, let’s get back to the point. The point with that was simply that Roach and Davis werecoming off of freshmen campaigns in which they made the All Conferencenewcomer team. Ergo they were talented players who had already had success in the Big XII.

Lol at making the Conference "All-Newcomer" team as some kind of achievement. Let's take a quick look at who's eligible for this award each year:

-Start with 10 teams, rosters about 8 deep, that's roughly 80 total ball players in the conference.

-Subtract all upperclassmen and sophomores who were on a Big12 team the year prior. This takes us down from 80 to about 25.

-Subtract all remaining seniors, any one-and-dones, and any other player who is going pro because they only give this award to players expected to return. This takes us down to about 10 players and also drops all the most talented ones off the list.

So congratulations Kerwin Roach and Eric Davis Jr for making the "All-Newcomer" team in their freshman years, an accolade where they beat out a couple of other non-one-and-done freshmen on Baylor or Tech or something. Way to go.

34 minutes ago, Guest Camel said:

-Subtract all remaining seniors, any one-and-dones, and any other player who is going pro because they only give this award to players expected to return. This takes us down to about 10 players and also drops all the most talented ones off the list.

This one isn't true. Both Bamba and Trae Young made the All-Newcomer team this past season.

All-Newcomer teams also include transfers playing their first season in the Big 12, I think. So it's more meaningful than some people are making it out to be, but it's certainly not the same as making a normal All-Conference team.

Edited by Machinator

6 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Jesus Christ you drama queens. Both players made the All Newcomer team, which is one of the All-Conference teams. You are so petty and combative  when it comes to me that you will grasp at any straw possible just to argue over it. You knew exactly what I meant when I said that. 

What you did 3 posts before the one above is totally disingenuous and you know it. 

Edited by Guest

Guest Camel
18 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This one isn't true. Both Bamba and Trae Young made the All-Newcomer team this past season.

Oh, my bad. Still, show me the next 2 finishers in the voting after Davis and Roach for the 2016 Newcomer team, and I'll show you a couple of guys who weren't hard to beat out. The main reason why those guys got that award that year is because they were getting significant playing time. That allowed them to pile up additive stats like points per game etc.. There probably weren't many freshman plus transfers playing significant minutes that year because every other coach besides Barnes had better roster continuity.

2 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

He doesn’t know it. 

I say that as someone who thinks Shaka was garbage and Barnes was a lot better than he gets credit for here. 

Derka doesn’t need to be disingenuous or really even argue for Barnes right now. All he needs to do is sit back and watch Shaka fail, which is what he’s doing. 

Guest Camel
4 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

All he needs to do is sit back and watch Shaka fail, which is what he’s doing. 

The hell he is. Look what he brought in last year--Bamba, Coleman, Sims, not to mention Osetkowski. The year before that, Jones and Jarrett Allen. Now Bamba and Allen were NCAA busts in a way, not because they were bad players here, but just because they were freshmen and then gone. The Jones loss was unexpected and not something you can fault the coach for. Still, this is good recruiting which is job #1 in building a great program. We still got Coleman, Sims, Oset, and possibly Roach in the tank for next year plus ANOTHER at least GOOD recruiting class which only remains to be seen how good. He is doing fine.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic