Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

22 hours ago, WJC88 said:

Serious question: do you watch the games?

No, I just come on here and post my ass off after looking at box scores in the Statesman. Yes, of course I watch the games. I watched just about every excruciating moment this year. I was a season-ticket holder from 2001 to 2010 but these days I watch on TV.

Maybe the difference between you and me is I don't expect to see the Houston Rockets play when I tune in to an NCAA game. Did we suck at offense most of the year? Yep. Did we do a shitty job of boxing out most of the year? Yep. Did we allow to many layups and defensive breakdowns most of the year? Yep. But pretty much every college team this year outside of maybe Villanova struggled mightily in aspects of the game.

We were still good enough to beat Elite 8 team Texas Tech, beat Sweet Sixteen team WVU, beat tournament teams Butler, Alabama, and TCU. We were still good enough to take the Elite 8 team Duke to OT, take Sweet Sixteen teams Gonzaga and Nevada to OT. Most all this without our best player Andrew Jones, and the WVU win without also our 2nd best player Mo Bamba.

So yeah, I watch the games. Just unlike you, I know what I am looking at when I watch an NCAA game.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

I knew better than to click this thread, but I did it any way. So fucking predictable. Every UT basketball thread turns into an unreadable flame fest between Derka and people that give him the attention he so badly wants by debating his asinine takes. It’s such a fucking beating and it sucks that there isn’t a place to discuss the team without the same person turning every thread into a fucking dumpster fire.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 4/11/2018 at 7:55 PM, Guest Camel said:

The hell he is. Look what he brought in last year--Bamba, Coleman, Sims, not to mention Osetkowski. The year before that, Jones and Jarrett Allen. Now Bamba and Allen were NCAA busts in a way, not because they were bad players here, but just because they were freshmen and then gone. The Jones loss was unexpected and not something you can fault the coach for. Still, this is good recruiting which is job #1 in building a great program. We still got Coleman, Sims, Oset, and possibly Roach in the tank for next year plus ANOTHER at least GOOD recruiting class which only remains to be seen how good. He is doing fine.

He's failing, miserably

2 hours ago, RichUT said:

I knew better than to click this thread, but I did it any way. So fucking predictable. Every UT basketball thread turns into an unreadable flame fest between Derka and people that give him the attention he so badly wants by debating his asinine takes. It’s such a fucking beating and it sucks that there isn’t a place to discuss the team without the same person turning every thread into a fucking dumpster fire.

You’re an idiot. You also don’t even post here, and you just clicked on this thread knowing exactly what you would find and you let it upset you anyway. Wow. Feel free to put on your big boy pants and give your own awesome takes should you ever get the guts to do so.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

53 minutes ago, immortal13 said:
Why aren't you using Derka?

Because TheFlagship ran over here and registered that name and then pretended to be me for a while. Pretty lame. It’s the exact kind of attention that I don’t need to ask for because I’m going to get it. And RichUT can stop being such a woman with this habitual routine where he runs in here, whines about me ruining everything, and then leaves for six months. I post here every single day on a multitude of threads with zero problems. Same story on shaggy. 80% of my tens of thousands of posts come on the hoops board, and yet I really only fight with two posters: camel and TS12. Nothing close to what RichUT describes. And for someone who doesn’t post here and clearly doesn’t know what he’s talking about, it’s even more puzzling that my presence here bothers him so.

edit: also going to point out that Rich’s only contribution to the thread was starting a fight with me. So.

Edited by Goo Punch

• 2 months later...

So like I was saying about Shaka and his offense...

Some idiot on another site was just slamming Barnes for being inept offensively, all the while praising shaka (one of our own posters maybe?), and that prompted me to look up some of our old AdjO stats under Rick Barnes:

2002- 15th nationally

2003- 3rd

2004- 16th

2005- 24th, with an * after losing Aldridge and Tucker

2006- 6th

2007- 6th

2008- 3rd

I don't know how this misconception about his offenses has lasted for so long, but these numbers do not lie. And it isn't like Shaka has been working with trash. For better or worse shaka has had the following players on his Texas teams which have all been inept offensively: Isaiah Taylor, Javan Felix, Cam Ridley, Kerwin Roach, Eric Davis, Jordan Barnett, Tevin Mack, Jarrett Allen, Andrew Jones, Mo Bamba, Matt Coleman. All of those guys have been here during his tenure and yet our offense has objectively been one of the handful of worst offenses in major college basketball. There is simply no excusing this, and if does not change significantly this year then I don't see how anyone who actually loves Texas basketball can support this guy. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 2

12 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I don't know what Adjusted Offense is, I only know what I saw... Very shitty offense for most of those years when we didn't have a great point guard.

AdjO – Adjusted offensive efficiency – An estimate of the offensive efficiency (points scored per 100 possessions) a team would have against the average D-I defense.

the whole "we were only good when we had an elite pg thing is so overblown. we were better when we had elite pg's, but so is every other team out there. we still had some pretty good offenses even when guys like Royal and Doj were starting at PG. we were simply elite when we had the likes of TJ and DJ.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 2

One thing that Barnes used to do on offense that I haven’t seen Smart do as much is slow down the offense at the end of games, running more clock and relying more on 1:1 penetration. I hated that.

I always felt like he put the games into more toss up scenarios than if they would have just played and used fast breaks and tempo to out-talent teams down the stretch.

it's funny how you girls all circle jerk each other about how bad Rick Barnes was while you simultaneously stick up for a guy who's shaping up to be one of the worst coaches in program history with an MO for running terrible offense and squandering NBA talent. you realize how stupid this makes you look. wait, if course you don't.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

it's funny how you girls all circle jerk each other about how bad Rick Barnes was while you simultaneously stick up for a guy who's shaping up to be one of the worst coaches in program history with an MO for running terrible offense and squandering NBA talent. you realize how stupid this makes you look. wait, if course you don't.

You need to get it in your head that not everyone who is critical of Barnes is wholeheartedly, blindly supporting Shaka. In fact, there is really only one poster like that on this board, and he is the outlier.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You need to get it in your head that not everyone who is critical of Barnes is wholeheartedly, blindly supporting Shaka. In fact, there is really only one poster like that on this board, and he is the outlier.

there is so much more support for shaka here than that. just look at how upset people get any time he's criticized. it is fact that we have WAY more openly anti-Barnes posters here than anti-Shaka posters, which is ass backwards. Shaka has done absolutely nothing to have earned any sort of benefit of the doubt or hope for the future, yet it's still frowned upon to criticize him. you can try and downplay his support here all you want, but it's here, and it's always been here. you seem to want me to identify every single shaka supporter out of the dozens of posters here. as long as the majority still supports him and frowns upon criticizing him then i'll sleep okay at night bunching y'all in together.

Edited by Goo Punch

Just now, Goo Punch said:

there is so much more support for shaka here than that.

Than what? I bet if you asked each and every one of the active users on this board, the vast majority of people would say that Shaka has done some good things but needs to make major improvements if he wants to stick around past the next season or so.

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Than what? I bet if you asked each and every one of the active users on this board, the vast majority of people would say that Shaka has done some good things but needs to make major improvements if he wants to stick around past the next season or so.

then i would encourage those people to start posting here. this isn't even up for debate, and this very thread is the proof. we can't even have one single thread dedicated to criticizing him without 4 or 5 different people freaking out every time it's posted in. do you deny this? this board is incredibly pro-shaka, whether everyone is out here tattooing his name on their ass cheek or not. the next time this thread gets bumped without 3 or 4 people running in here to whine about it will be the first. i hate the dynamic here. we encourage pumping up guys like Hepa and Sims into something greater than what they actually because that's that sunshine we can't get enough of around here. meanwhile we admonish criticism of the head coach. this board has a sunshine pumping, pollyanna presence that has no merit. the dynamic here is like a bizarro world. all sunshine all the time, with nowhere to gripe about the undeniable shittiness of our program.

i want the team to do well; i want the players to be good; i want texas to win, starting yesterday; but i also want a place where i can butch about our sorry ass head coach and the sorry ass state of the program without the goof troop running in here to cry about it.

Edited by Goo Punch

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

then i would encourage those people to start posting here. this isn't even up for debate, and this very thread is the proof. we can't even have one single thread dedicated to criticizing him without 3 or 5 different people freaking out every time it's posted in. do you deny this? this board is incredibly pro-shaka, whether everyone is out here tattooing his name on their ass cheek or not. the next time this thread gets bumped without 3 or 4 people running in here to whine about it will be the first.  

1) It's the offseason, and this board was started a couple of weeks after our season concluded. There's nothing new to say that hasn't already been said thrice over during the last season on the old site.

2) it's been made very clear that most people are tired of hearing about Rick Barnes. Meet us halfway and stick to the criticisms of Shaka without the Barnes comps at every turn and your posts will be better received.

That's about all I have to say on the matter right now.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

1) It's the offseason, and this board was started a couple of weeks after our season concluded. There's nothing new to say that hasn't already been said thrice over during the last season on the old site.

2) it's been made very clear that most people are tired of hearing about Rick Barnes. Meet us halfway and stick to the criticisms of Shaka without the Barnes comps at every turn and your posts will be better received.

That's about all I have to say on the matter right now.

i would simply point out that i bring up barnes one time for every 5+ times that someone else does. THAT is something that gets way overblown. i'm not bringing his name up left and right, and if i was it would be extremely noticeable. but the fact is that we fired rick barnes and then hired shaka as his replacement, so his name is going to come up every now and then in comparison. if i'm bringing him up left and right then call me on it, but if not, then take that into consideration. 

Edited by Goo Punch

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Whatever you do, do not supprt your current coach.  Always talk about how much better it was when the coach who was fired was in charge. 

For the record, I loved Barnes but it was time for him to go. Shaka only has my support because I believe any coach deserves 4-5 years as long as they are recruiting well and are not an embarrassment to the University.

It is possible to acknowledge that Shaka has been a disappointment without thinking he should be fired. It is possible to appreciate Barnes and still think he should have been fired.

Regardless Shaka isn't going anywhere, so why waste time hand wringing?

i would simply point out that i bring up barnes one time for every 5+ times that someone else does. THAT is something that gets way overblown. i'm not bringing his name up left and right, and if i was it would be extremely noticeable. but the fact is that we fired rick barnes and then hired shaka as his replacement, so his name is going to come up every now and then in comparison. if i'm bringing him up left and right then call me on it, but if not, then take that into consideration. 
You bumped this thread out of nowhere to talk about Barnes. You're so fucking delusional you literally can't see your own behavior.
  • Like 1

There is no room for balanced or rational positions if you’re talking UT hoops with Derka. You’re only allowed to think that Shaka sucks or, if not, you must think he’s the 2nd coming of John Wooden.

FWIW, I talked to a former Barnes player about Shaka not that long ago. He seemed to think Shaka was in trouble and he blamed Shaka not being strong enough politically as the reason. Essentially he said that Shaka has been getting a lot of pressure to recruit guys with high rankings by the powers that be vs. recruiting guys that fit his Havoc system. He made it sound like Shaka has to deal with a lot of oversight and that Shaka needed to step up and take a stronger position on bringing in the kids that he wants to run his vision.

It was an interesting conversation and painted a picture that perhaps our AD office was meddling to the detriment of the team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RichUT said:

There is no room for balanced or rational positions if you’re talking UT hoops with Derka. You’re only allowed to think that Shaka sucks or, if not, you must think he’s the 2nd coming of John Wooden.

FWIW, I talked to a former Barnes player about Shaka not that long ago. He seemed to think Shaka was in trouble and he blamed Shaka not being strong enough politically as the reason. Essentially he said that Shaka has been getting a lot of pressure to recruit guys with high rankings by the powers that be vs. recruiting guys that fit his Havoc system. He made it sound like Shaka has to deal with a lot of oversight and that Shaka needed to step up and take a stronger position on bringing in the kids that he wants to run his vision.

It was an interesting conversation and painted a picture that perhaps our AD office was meddling to the detriment of the team.

Was this before or after CDC took over?

Convo was in early May. Likely it was more of an issue with the previous administration.

I find this extremely difficult to believe. The previous AD was a placeholder guy who did not, and would not, insert that type of influence into the b-ball program. He knew his place as AD. Could it be that Shaka is floating that myth as justification for him not doing well? That seems way more likely.

By AD, I meant athletics department. I should have clarified. My guess is that Perrin was delegating a lot and it was someone else meddling. I see that as a very possible (if not likely) scenario. Not that it excuses anything, as Shaka needs to learn that he’s ultimately accountable for the on court product. This is where his youth works against him, as a more experienced coach would be comfortable pushing back.

8 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Basically nobody here is an enthusiastic Shaka supporter/defender except Camel and greggym.  Everyone else either wanted him already fired or is just giving tepid, token support like, “Well, he is going to be here another year anyway, so I’ll give him a chance to turn it around.”  

It’s the opposite of a sunshine pumper board.  Even when we win games, most posters spend the game thread shitting on Shaka, myself included (I should probably work on that, but on the other hand, it’s usually a beating to watch our games).

Also, many more people would post on this board if there wasn’t a decent chance of every thread being derailed by a certain maniac.  The pre-Derka Hornfans basketball board had way more traffic than the post-Derka boards have had - even when our teams have been good.  It’s not a coincidence.  So, if you truly want more people to actively post on this board, then do the exact opposite of this.

i was on hornfans since 2002 actively posting on that hoops board under a different name, so swing and a miss there. and blaming my mere presence for keeping posters away? even you don't believe that. you blow my presence out of proportion just like i do shaka's support around here. i start a modicum of the shit you say i do. 

you know as well as i do that the tone around here is *nothing* like the tone around shaggy from 2010-forward, which is perplexing. anything that *didn't* bash the coach back then was strictly verboten; now we suck and have an inferior coach and it's damn near the opposite. maybe it was hyperbole to call it a sunshine pumping board, but there's still way, WAY more suppprt for Shaka right now than we had for Barnes during his last few years, despite Barnes being a much better and more successful coach who'd actually won something at texas. that said, do not blame me for people deciding not to post here; it's a lame cop out. we have shitty fans to begin with and now on top we have a shitty program. none of that as anything to do with one maniac poster.

Edited by Goo Punch

8 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Basically nobody here is an enthusiastic Shaka supporter/defender except Camel and greggym.  Everyone else either wanted him already fired or is just giving tepid, token support like, “Well, he is going to be here another year anyway, so I’ll give him a chance to turn it around.”  

It’s the opposite of a sunshine pumper board.  Even when we win games, most posters spend the game thread shitting on Shaka, myself included (I should probably work on that, but on the other hand, it’s usually a beating to watch our games).

Also, many more people would post on this board if there wasn’t a decent chance of every thread being derailed by a certain maniac.  The pre-Derka Hornfans basketball board had way more traffic than the post-Derka boards have had - even when our teams have been good.  It’s not a coincidence.  So, if you truly want more people to actively post on this board, then do the exact opposite of this.

matt, you are correct and I support Coach Smart for obvious reasons. I have also supported all of our coaches and have wished them well when they left. Its possible that I knew Coach Barnes better than anyone here but even good coaches get into a rut and need to move on and get reenergized. It happens all the time.

As far as Coach Smart is concerned, I have said from Day 1 that a coach unless he is a total disaster which isn't the case here, he should be able to coach his first recruiting class through their senior year. Like most coaches, he has had some hits and misses but this will be his first year where there will actually be senior leadership and he will have an experienced point guard who now understands what college hoops is all about and what it takes to win. We will still be young but with senior leadership and the young guys that got thrown into the fire, this team could be really good.  

28 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

matt, you are correct and I support Coach Smart for obvious reasons. I have also supported all of our coaches and have wished them well when they left. Its possible that I knew Coach Barnes better than anyone here but even good coaches get into a rut and need to move on and get reenergized. It happens all the time.

As far as Coach Smart is concerned, I have said from Day 1 that a coach unless he is a total disaster which isn't the case here, he should be able to coach his first recruiting class through their senior year. Like most coaches, he has had some hits and misses but this will be his first year where there will actually be senior leadership and he will have an experienced point guard who now understands what college hoops is all about and what it takes to win. We will still be young but with senior leadership and the young guys that got thrown into the fire, this team could be really good.  

His first year we had senior leadership and an experienced PG who was 1st team all-conference.

5 hours ago, RichUT said:

Sounds like the guy you talked to doesn't know a whole lot. Otur previous AD wasn't an AD at all, and what you're describing is the opposite of CDC's MO. Shaka has been recruiting "his guys" since he got here- tall, long athletes who aren't polished players yet. He's signed two national top 10-15 guys since he's been here. 

4 hours ago, RichUT said:

By AD, I meant athletics department. I should have clarified. My guess is that Perrin was delegating a lot and it was someone else meddling. I see that as a very possible (if not likely) scenario. Not that it excuses anything, as Shaka needs to learn that he’s ultimately accountable for the on court product. This is where his youth works against him, as a more experienced coach would be comfortable pushing back.

Shaka would never have agreed to come to Texas if he was going to be under that kind of scrutiny. Whoever you spoke to gave you his own personal opinion, not facts. I wouldn't be surprised if your guy was in his late 30's or older, and not all that connected with the inner workings of Shaka and his program. I obviously know plenty of former Barnes guys, and with all due respect most of them don't know shit about what's going on, or what needs to be done. They're just former athletes with (often uneducated) opinions of their own.

Edited by Goo Punch

11 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

His first year we had senior leadership and an experienced PG who was 1st team all-conference.

Because you have little understanding of the game, you don't have the ability to understand that sometimes there are problems when a new coach takes over when the kids that he is coaching aren't kids he recruited. When you have been in a program for 3 or 4 years and now there is a coach that does things differently, it can cause friction and problems. Not always but it could be a problem. 

What you don't understand is that a program isn't for one year. You want to build a long term successful program which is what Coach Smart is attempting to do. I and others have pointed out that some of the best coaches in the country had rough beginnings but if you had your way, Coach K, Coach Izzo, Coach Wooden and numerous others wouldn't have made it past their first couple of years. 

You may want to start paying attention to what some posters here say instead of trying to prove how smart you are because its not working.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic