Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

Shaka would never have agreed to come to Texas if he was going to be under that kind of scrutiny. Whoever you spoke to gave you his own personal opinion, not facts. I wouldn't be surprised if your guy was in his late 30's or older, and not all that connected with the inner workings of Shaka and his program. I obviously know plenty of former Barnes guys, and with all due respect most of them don't know shit about what's going on, or what needs to be done. They're just former athletes with (often uneducated) opinions of their own.

Nobody on this board wouldn’t know the name of this guy and he’s still involved in the sport in a way that would position him to know a metric fuck ton more than you would ever hope to. But hey, you keep doing you and ruining any attempt to have a productive conversation about the program on this board. It’s your world and we’re just living in it, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Well, you're the one making this all about me, so i can't make any sense of your post. i wasn't the only one who responded the way i did either. but no freak out when someone besides me doubts the validity of your second hand comments. where was your sanctimonious freakout when dbeasy said essentially the same thing as me? if you live in my world it's because you're making it that way.

Edited by Goo Punch

Also, you either just outed Jai Lucas or you're lying.

edit: went back and looked at your exact wording. you avoided saying he was still connected at UT. So you ran into Chris Ogden in May? And he knows all about what's going on between Shaka and his AD's? That's interesting.

Edited by Goo Punch

And yeah, I still don't believe that Shaka is being pressured to recruit and sign guys he doesn't want. it doesn't make sense from any angle. Mike Perrin wasn't calling shots, that's not CDC's style, and Shaka has in fact been recruiting his type of guys during his time at Texas. Allen and Bamba were the only top 10 guys, and Allen played HS ball in Austin and was wanted by everyone here. It just doesn't add up.

Edited by Goo Punch

That you can’t make sense of my post is neither surprising nor my problem. I detest everything about how you handle yourself on this forum and you basically ruin any thread you decide to participate in. I owe you exactly jack shit and am not about to burn someone (not named Chris Ogden) that shared his perspective on the program just to placate you. Keep on believing what you want to believe, because there is nothing anyone on this board can do to convince you otherwise.

• Fuck You 1

1.I said that your buddy's take doesn't make sense

2.I said that our former coach's former players don't know what's going on between our current coach and current AD

3.Its my world and you're living in it. 

okay. your choice. i'm not the one holding this conversation hostage.

Edited by Goo Punch

Gee I dunno Derka, maybe making the tournament out of the nation's toughest conference last year, with a young team, after losing his best player for the season, makes people more interested in him than the guy who left 4 years ago.

5 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

This thread will only become more comical as the 2018-2019 season unfolds. We will be a top 4 team in the Big 12 with enough talent on our bench to handle most teams in the country's starting five.

We are gonna suck

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

This thread will only become more comical as the 2018-2019 season unfolds. We will be a top 4 team in the Big 12

OK...

10 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

with enough talent on our bench to handle most teams in the country's starting five.

Wut

Edit: quoting Cameltoe, not immortal

Edited by Machinator

Well, you're the one making this all about me, so i can't make any sense of your post. i wasn't the only one who responded the way i did either. but no freak out when someone besides me doubts the validity of your second hand comments. where was your sanctimonious freakout when dbeasy said essentially the same thing as me? if you live in my world it's because you're making it that way.

Whoa don’t bring me into your bs. My post simply wondered whether the player had gotten his information from the coach himself rather than elsewhere. Your post was derogatory towards the poster’s player contact. Big difference. And no, I’m now not going to engage you for two hours on it.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

multi quote is essentially impossible on mobile. doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Much like some of your  bizarre posts. You continue to talk about what Barnes did. He's gone and he ain't coming back.  

Shaka is/was out of his league when he got there, but he's smart, and will adapt.  He had 2 really strong x's and o's assistants at VCU, and when he lost them things started to go south a bit, revealing his lack of basketball knowledge. 

16 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Much like some of your  bizarre posts. You continue to talk about what Barnes did. He's gone and he ain't coming back.  

Shaka is/was out of his league when he got there, but he's smart, and will adapt.  He had 2 really strong x's and o's assistants at VCU, and when he lost them things started to go south a bit, revealing his lack of basketball knowledge. 

He has one really good assistant in Darrin Horn here. We'll see if Neill Berry is an upgrade from Morrell.

Just now, Machinator said:

He has one really good assistant in Darrin Horn here. We'll see if Neill Berry is an upgrade from Morrell.

He needs good assistants that can really get the guys on the floor in the right spots, doing those fine skill set things that create wins.  Shakas skills have been motivation, connection with players and a certain skill to see talent that he could make better thru those two skill sets.  

I really wanna see him blow doors on the competition and succeed at UT, except Dec. 5TH of course.  Hopefully we're gonna be in the stands for that game.

I see this thread hasn't changed one bit.  I think the vast mahority of posters on this site fall into the category of wanting to wait and see what shaka can do this year.  We pretty much all agree that Shaka has underperformed up to this point but most people realize that the injuries and youth of his teams have had a major impact.  This year he has a balanced team, upperclassmen, and will be in his 4th year here.  Barring some major injuries he has to succeed this year or he needs to be gone.  There are no longer any excuses.

Shaka is no different from Mack, or Augie, or any number of CEO coaches- he's not an x's and o's guy, he oversees the program and relies on top flight assistants to grow talent and produce on game days. He brought a bunch of subpar coaches with him to this league, and aside from Horn his hires have been underwhelming/non factors. People talk about injuries and close games and youth, but all of that glosses over the reality that we've been poorly coached; our teams don't look good; they are often outright inept. It's not his record that is his biggest indictment, even though his record is *bad*; it's how poorly coached and developed his players and teams have been. The results would be allowable if we were clearly building on a strong foundation and heading somewhere- but that has never been the case here. The on-court product has been abysmal, no matter how close some games may have been, or how much injuries may have impacted our record.

Edited by Goo Punch

• 2 months later...

hopefully i'll be able to use this thread to complain about the coach...since that's exactly what it's here for and all...without everyone losing their minds.

the texasmbb instagram has been periodically sharing videos featuring shaka talking about each individual player and how much they've grown since last year. i've shared one of them here, and only one, because they are a beating. you know how Mack's "aww shucks, everybody is so great, we love all the players from both teams" act wore thin after we stopped winning? well seeing as we haven't even started winning under shaka it's been wearing thin on me for awhile now. 9/10 things this guy says is 100% hollow coach speak, constantly talking about everyone's character, what kind of people they are, what kind of leader they can be, that he's a high character young man, etc. almost nothing he's said in may of these videos has anything to do with basketball.

add on to this the fact that i'm obviously a rick barnes fan, and it's especially grating. can you imagine shaka calling multiple players out for being "the worst defender he's ever seen"? i really miss having a coach who actually answered questions with real, honest, substantive answers. one of my favorite pastimes is going to a UT game and then high tailing it to the car to hear Rick's postgame thoughts due to his candor; now every time i see the head coach talking it's just a constant stream of BS about how great everyone is as a person. i got enough to that from mack brown for nearly 20 years, and i've decided that i've had enough of that for one lifetime.

Edited by Goo Punch

i understand why he does it, but it's not what i prefer from my coach. mack had a different style than muschamp for example, and while mack was undoubtedly a better head coach, i still prefer a straightforward, candid coach, at least *some* of the time.

Edited by Goo Punch

Not trying to be contrarian but, what exactly do you expect him to say on Instagram during the off-season?  "Yeah, so and so is still a lazy motherfucker.  He won't play much"?  I mean, I get what you're saying about the post game interviews, but I'm not so sure I want my coach saying too much on the negative side via social media during the off-season.

9 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Not trying to be contrarian but, what exactly do you expect him to say on Instagram during the off-season?  "Yeah, so and so is still a lazy motherfucker.  He won't play much"?  I mean, I get what you're saying about the post game interviews, but I'm not so sure I want my coach saying too much on the negative side via social media during the off-season.

i want to know what to expect from our basketball players, aside from being able to count on them as being high character guys who've worked hard all summer. i want to know how our returning guys have grown and what they've worked on/added to their game, and i want to know what to expect from Eli Long as well as the freshmen. Anything basketball related really. 

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

i understand why he does it, but it's not what i prefer from my coach. mack had a different style than muschamp for example, and while mack was undoubtedly a better head coach, i still prefer a straightforward, candid coach, at least *some* of the time.

no, your posting show you don't understand and quite honestly, it doesn't matter what you prefer.

• Like 3

Honestly Derka, (fuck the guy who stole your name) it just sounds like you are so far gone with Shaka that any little thing that doesn't jive with what you want is going to piss you off.  Shaka is not going to say anything negative about his players publicly in the summer, nor will 99% of coaches.  That's an easy way to lose the locker room before practices even start.

where is this idea that i want him to trash his players coming from?? that's two of you now who are replying as if im imploring shaka to shit on his players, and that comes completely ours of left field. i could not have been more clear that i'm looking for him to simply make substantive replies about our guys' actual basketball games, instead of repeating over and over and over that they're all high character guys who've worked hard all summer. i gave one example of rick being extremely candid which included some tough love, but the overall point was *clearly* that i want him to just honestly talk about our team as basketball players, as opposed to being a broken record about what great young men they all are. these responses to me are crazy.

Edited by Goo Punch

I just went back and re-read my posts, and y'alls replies are just dumbfounding. i made it perfectly clear that i just want him to be candid and straightforward, and you took from that i need him to bash his players? i'm gonna need you to quote exactly where you think i asked for that.  also, don't ever tell me that you way you guys interpret my post isn't 100% because i'm the one saying it. that's totally crazy to read my posts and come away thinking that i'm asking him to shit on his players, when i very very clearly am simply asking him to stop repeating himself about their character and their work ethic, and to just tell us about them as basketball players. i know that jericho sims isn't going to mug some old lady, and that kerwin roach and dylan o won't be arrested for gang rape- but can they shoot? do they have any new roles or responsibilities? how has their game improved over the summer? what did they work on? why can't this dude ever just honestly talk about his team without blathering on about character and off-the-court íntegrity and shit?

Edited by Goo Punch

if only the multi quote function on this website wasn't completely retarded.

rich- holy irony batman. you run into this thread specifically to upset yourself over the fact that i'm in here using this thread for its express written purpose, and you want to talk about letting things that are out of your control upset you? you have less self awareness than rocko.

herpa- you literally only post on the basketball board to whine about or talk shit to me. you also named  yourself after me and are frighteningly obsessed over cme. now that's stupidity. 

vic- i legitimately pity you. i recently stumbled upon that thread of yours in nastys where you obsessively repost literally everything that some poor, mentally ill mexican rapper puts on facebook, just to make yourself feel better about being a skinny white guy in his mid 30's whose entire sense of self worth comes from trashing other people. the amount of time you spend on this hobby is so, so sad. i seriously feel sorry for your pathetic state of life. i pity you.

i fully expect an appearance from ehrine now to compete the cycle.

Edited by Goo Punch

Yeah, no matter what he says now or later, he's still an awful coach. His players won't "buy-in" and even if they did, Shaka's system isn't built to succeed. I realize that Goo (Derka) would rather he have real criticism (not shitting but areas of concern and ways to fix them) of the players but it doesn't matter. We are going to be a worse team this year and because we've waited so long to recognize our coaching situation and correct it, Texas Basketball won't be relevant for at least another 4 years. Sucks

i'm not even asking for criticism- i'm literally just asking for substance. when you drop a dozen videos of the head coach which are ostensibly to fill in the fans in how the players have grown over the offseason, it becomes a beating when every single video is, "(insert name) had a great summer. he's a high character guy who spent a lot of time working in the weight room. i'm looking forward to seeing this young man grow as even more time goes on." it's just a bunch of nothing. everything he says is completely worthless. he can't give a straightforward answer to a question, or just make a straightforward statement about his guys as basketball players. its all meaningless, cliched crap. just tell us about the basketball players- what are they good at, what have they worked on, what should we expect from them this season. i've watched shaka dedicate an individual ig gideon to every player on the team and the only thing i know to expect is that our guys will be high character guys who will work hard and be upstanding young men. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

I've learned it's good to avoid off-season updates on any Texas players or even prospects, regardless of their sport. It's going to be sugar and spice, whether the player is any good or not. I'm all for supporting kids who behave themselves and put full effort into representing the school to the best of their ability, but after awhile you see that results on the court or field don't always follow. So it helps to take players for what they are, not what we fantasize them to be. And we won't know any of that until they actually start playing for real. 

• Like 2

Oh, and I like how you mentioned Rick's post-game interviews and though they were honest and insightful. Those were some of the saddest, most inane, repetitious, mechanical speeches I've ever heard in my life. When we finally get a break from the fucking car commercials and shit brought to you by voice of the Longhorns guy, Rick would answer every question with "again, " and then some retarded bullshit. I can't believe I wasted so much of my time listening to that bullshit.

Edited by Cameltoe
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I would like from to see from Shaka better player development (both basketball IQ and skills), better adjustments to the talents of the roster, and better game to game adjustments with opposing personnel.  Recruiting is good considering (realistically) the program overall.  

22 hours ago, txhorns said:

Honestly Derka, (fuck the guy who stole your name) it just sounds like you are so far gone with Shaka that any little thing that doesn't jive with what you want is going to piss you off.  Shaka is not going to say anything negative about his players publicly in the summer, nor will 99% of coaches.  That's an easy way to lose the locker room before practices even start.

Pretty sure that was "TheFlagship" that did it and I need to start negging that piece of shit every time I see him post. Just a bullshit move.

17 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

I've learned it's good to avoid off-season updates on any Texas players or even prospects, regardless of their sport. It's going to be sugar and spice, whether the player is any good or not. I'm all for supporting kids who behave themselves and put full effort into representing the school to the best of their ability, but after awhile you see that results on the court or field don't always follow. So it helps to take players for what they are, not what we fantasize them to be. And we won't know any of that until they actually start playing for real. 

This is the correct behavior. We continue to play Charlie Brown to Hermeh's/Shaka's Lucy and the payoff is never there. In any event, addressing the actual point isn't the point with Derka when he goes manic. He's looking for an outlet for his pent up angst with Texas after the start of this shithole football season, so why not come unhinged about Smart. Whatever works, I suppose. I don't understand why so many posters have to lose their shit in the other direction when Derka goes full Derka though.

• Like 1

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic