Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

20 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This is the correct behavior. We continue to play Charlie Brown to Hermeh's/Shaka's Lucy and the payoff is never there. 

I've pretty much been an idiot about our coaching hires since I graduated. They've all been great, super, I can't wait hires. I was happy about Mack Brown, happy about Charlie Strong, happy about Rick Barnes, happy about Shecky Smart, excited about Tom Pollo Hermano. At this point, my attitude towards anyone we hire's going to be "welcome to Texas, win some fucking ballgames without building rape stands in the locker room or outsourcing recruiting to FedEx and we can be friends".

Our relationship with these thin-skinned midwits needs to be a Peggy Olsen/Don Draper deal.

Coach: "You never say thank you!"

Fans: "THAT'S WHAT THE MONEY IS FOR!"

5 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

for me it's when a white dude in his 60s implies he knows more about basketball than "a fan" because he played college ball four decades ago

First, its not implying, its fact. Second, this particular fan thinks that he knows more than anyone and his posts are correct and everyone that disagrees with him is wrong. 

5 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I've pretty much been an idiot about our coaching hires since I graduated. They've all been great, super, I can't wait hires. I was happy about Mack Brown, happy about Charlie Strong, happy about Rick Barnes, happy about Shecky Smart, excited about Tom Pollo Hermano. At this point, my attitude towards anyone we hire's going to be "welcome to Texas, win some fucking ballgames without building rape stands in the locker room or outsourcing recruiting to FedEx and we can be friends".

Our relationship with these thin-skinned midwits needs to be a Peggy Olsen/Don Draper deal.

Coach: "You never say thank you!"

Fans: "THAT'S WHAT THE MONEY IS FOR!"

49 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

trying to break the recently set irony/lack of self awareness record?

The irony fairly drips out of my MacBook.  You tilt at windmills constantly, and don't know when to leave the field of battle.  

You never seem to realize you can be right (which you are often), and still look like a spittle spewing, keyboard banger.

• Like 2

Nothing says Texas like wanting to fire the coach before the season begins. The arguments put forth for wanting to fire SS are as tired as listening to a Partridge Family record.  The counterargument is not any more appealing.  Come up with some new insights if you are going to tackle this topic, or better yet save it for when they play a fucking game.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The irony fairly drips out of my MacBook.  You tilt at windmills constantly, and don't know when to leave the field of battle.  

You never seem to realize you can be right (which you are often), and still look like a spittle spewing, keyboard banger.

Lulz. Goo Punch is right about his basketball opinions about as much as a broken clock, which makes the fanaticism and incredulity he posts with all the more insufferable. Just last year during a hard-fought and basically encouraging season, he referred to our head coach as a "sociopath" who throws his players under the bus in postgame interviews. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, dogbreath said:

Nothing says Texas like wanting to fire the coach before the season begins. The arguments put forth for wanting to fire SS are as tired as listening to a Partridge Family record.  The counterargument is not any more appealing.  Come up with some new insights if you are going to tackle this topic, or better yet save it for when they play a fucking game.

wat? perennially underachieving and fielding inept teams despite consistently recruiting better than 99% if the country isn't a legit reason to want to a new coach? being 8 games under .500 in a league where you have more talent than 8/10 teams year in and year out isn't legit? give me a break.

richut- you continue to be a pathetic child. get over it, and move on with your life.

Edited by Goo Punch

and shaka did throw our guys under the bus. his completely inept coaching was to blame for our never ending under achievements, and yet during the time when our players were supposed to be talking to the media, shaka instead came down to the podium in their place, revealing that they were all upstairs being punished for our recent poor performances. he went on to explain that we'd had a week of punitive practice sessions, and that until our guys decided to look themselves in the mirror and try harder that's how it was going to be.

you know what happened when we actually played that next game? we won the tip, and watched as matt coleman took a contested, off-the-dribble three point attempt about 5 seconds into the game, which he predictably bricked. that's criminal. our terrible shot selection (designed by shaka) was 100% more to blame for our troubles than this idea that our players weren't playing hard enough, and yet the coach makes a huge spectacle about how our players are being punished, only to come out in the very next game employing the same terrible tactics which were the actual root of our problems. he threw his players under the bus and then did nothing to hold himself accountable. you can't both honestly love texas basketball and support crap like that. 

Edited by Goo Punch

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Thanks but ... haven't lived in Amarillo for decades now.

I've never lived there but there is a great non profit called Cal Farley's Boys and Girls Ranch. Given them money when possible since the early 70s. They do a great job with at risk kids. As a matter of fact, there was a big kid from there that played football for Baylor a few years ago. Its tough to root for Baylor but I did for that young man.

Haha @ Boys Ranch. I'm sure it's a net positive, but they were notorious back in the day for some, uh, less-than-savory sportsmanship. Buddy of mine who was on a state championship wrestling team hated duals with Boys Ranch cuz "check his oil!" was their favorite move.

From what you've shared, if you lived in the Panhandle or competed against Panhandle teams, there's a chance you and my other dad battled for rebounds back in the day. He always said Jerry Sisemore was far and away the best player he ever faced.

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

not sure how this came up in a shaka smart thread on a university of texas message board, but cal farley's is not a "great" non profit:

http://www.lubbockonline.com/news/2017-12-20/cal-farley-s-boys-ranch-acknowledges-apologizes-decades-physical-sexual-abuse

I recognize that you're trying to be an asshole and you have succeeded. I am aware of the problems they had years ago. That doesn't mean they haven't done good work. 

a post from the game thread:

Arkansas hits a three to take the lead, next possession we get zero passes, a wild drive, and an air ball. 

^^^^^ making this type of post for the fourth year running now. his teams are super undisciplined and make mental mistakes with alarming regularity. very few coaches who've been in this league at any point during the last 3+ years would be 51-50 at Texas with the kind of talent we've had. Shaka has been a spectacular failure with his top 5 recruiting and .500 results. 

Edited by Goo Punch

3 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Hopefully CDC will do something at the end of this season. Need some excitement going into a new arena. Shaka just sucks.

Can we be real? I think we all knew as soon as last season ended that this year was going to be a lost year. Sacrificed so we could say we gave Shaka the requisite four years.

At least that's what I remember feeling.

• Like 1

Here's what always been crazy to me- Shaka has been worse than Tom Penders, and without any of the offense or tourney wins. Take away his first team (Rick Barnes' junior and senior players), and he's been *way* worse than Penders. That he's maintained solid support from fans blows me away.

So I had a conversion awhile back with a source very close to the program. Here is what this person had to say about the state of affairs of the b-ball program.

Not only is Shaka not a very good coach today, he knows it. He was reluctant to take the Texas job because he knew he wasn’t ready but didn’t feel like he could turn down such an incredible opportunity. He’s trying to learn on the fly to get his teams where they ought to be.

The recruiting has obviously been great so he’s working hard to improve his coaching skills to take better advantage of the talent he is assembling.

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So I had a conversion awhile back with a source very close to the program. Here is what this person had to say about the state of affairs of the b-ball program.

Not only is Shaka not a very good coach today, he knows it. He was reluctant to take the Texas job because he knew he wasn’t ready but didn’t feel like he could turn down such an incredible opportunity. He’s trying to learn on the fly to get his teams where they ought to be.

The recruiting has obviously been great so he’s working hard to improve his coaching skills to take better advantage of the talent he is assembling.

When he was in Richmond, he was the motivator.  He had 2 assistant coaches who were his X's and O's guys.  

One was Will wade, he's now the head coach at LSU. Dick head of a guy, but a very good X's and O's guy.  He left in 2012, and then came back when Shaka left.

The second guy was Mike Rhoades, he ended up at Rice. He's now the head coach at VCU.  Another good X's and O's guy, but a players kind of coach.

When Shaka lost them his run was over. He only had HAVOC to rely on, and the A-10 coaches figured that out by his second season there.

It sucks because the guy is a hell of a motivator. Hopefully he learns. 

17 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I thought you said you had some inside info. 

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

When he was in Richmond, he was the motivator.  He had 2 assistant coaches who were his X's and O's guys.  

One was Will wade, he's now the head coach at LSU. Dick head of a guy, but a very good X's and O's guy.  He left in 2012, and then came back when Shaka left.

The second guy was Mike Rhoades, he ended up at Rice. He's now the head coach at VCU.  Another good X's and O's guy, but a players kind of coach.

When Shaka lost them his run was over. He only had HAVOC to rely on, and the A-10 coaches figured that out by his second season there.

It sucks because the guy is a hell of a motivator. Hopefully he learns. 

Big 12 basketball is not the place to learn.  love the recruiting but you have to have both or at least be an average coach.  This Shaka is not.

hope we cut bait asap.

37 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Sounds like you heard a load of bullshit, my man.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Here's what always been crazy to me- Shaka has been worse than Tom Penders, and without any of the offense or tourney wins. Take away his first team (Rick Barnes' junior and senior players), and he's been *way* worse than Penders. That he's maintained solid support from fans blows me away.

I don't think he has any real support.  He's the basketball coach at Texas.  we are just waiting out the 4-5 years until we can fire him.  of course, this is assuming CDC wants to have a real winning top 20 basketball coach.

15 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I don't think he has any real support.  He's the basketball coach at Texas.  we are just waiting out the 4-5 years until we can fire him.  of course, this is assuming CDC wants to have a real winning top 20 basketball coach.

Is there anything about CDC that would make you think otherwise?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is there anything about CDC that would make you think otherwise?

It's been said several times by people somewhat connected to the program that Shaka will get at least 5 years here unless we pull a 2016-17 (and even then, that might not be enough).

So unless we have a couple big donors on here, talking about replacement candidates is useless right now.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic