Knives Out. Ensemble of pretty much all the great actors/actresses

Parliament

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Finally got around to watching. Entertaining movie with a lot of great performances, dragged on a bit long. Craig's accent was jarring, it probably didn't help that I recently re-watched the Bond movies but it took a bit of time to get used to. But I'm always a sucker for Craig chewing scenery regardless (see Road to Perdition).

Of the bit parts I liked Michael Shannon the best. The scene where he confronts Marta in the hallway and bangs his cane every time he speaks is genuinely menacing.

After watching it a couple weeks ago on one of the platforms, and aware of its success, I presumed immediately that future Daniel Craig as Foghorn Leghorn features would be in the works. I think it can be replicated. Fun whodunnit formula + smattering of known actors + scenery chewing Craig = easy box office success.

I enjoyed it, would watch concept again. And 52 year old Craig gets another serialized character, without all the bumps and bruises. 

(How about dropping him into a mystery in England, and neither he nor the other players can understand their respective accents? Would be a decent inside joke.)

On 7/3/2020 at 10:43 PM, satyanash said:

Finally got around to watching. Entertaining movie with a lot of great performances, dragged on a bit long. Craig's accent was jarring, it probably didn't help that I recently re-watched the Bond movies but it took a bit of time to get used to. But I'm always a sucker for Craig chewing scenery regardless (see Road to Perdition).

Of the bit parts I liked Michael Shannon the best. The scene where he confronts Marta in the hallway and bangs his cane every time he speaks is genuinely menacing.

If you haven't seen it yet, check out Layer Cake. Sorry about the trailer quality, but it's all I could find.

Edited by MagicSoccerSpray
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 5:58 PM, UpperWestside said:

Daniel Craig was very good. He really pulled off the southern gentleman accent. I grew up listening to people who talked like him. I enjoyed him speaking like that much more than I did any of the actual southern gentlemen. 

craig’s accent was entertaining but a joke.  he really pulled off a hollywood southern accent, but maybe that’s what you meant. 

• 8 months later...
On 1/1/2020 at 6:14 PM, Asithappens said:

El Salvadoran/Brazilian/Uruguayan/Paraguyan

I got a chuckle out of how they did that.  After establishing the joke of not knowing/caring where the Spanish speaking girl is from, they end it with Brazil.  Excellently crafted joke to get the bonus laugh from more than just repetition.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 10:21 PM, TKthunder2 said:

My sources tell me that it will star David Hasselhoff, Sigourney Weaver, Christian Bale, Ian McKellen, Skylar from Breaking Bad, the weird kid from Stranger Things, Ray Liotta, Key or Peele, and an actress that’s pure smoke that I’ve never hear of.

Called it.

On 4/3/2021 at 10:09 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Am I the only one that thinks they WAY overpaid for this?

Seems like a tent pole kind of idea.  If they do this for a ton of movies, it would get out of hand. Do it for a few and have people signing up for the service because it is exclusively offered there, even though the rest of the content is much cheaper for Netflix to acquire. 

They have 200MM subscribers.  Probably amounts to $10B monthly revenues.  Every month you can keep that going is worth whatever effort it took. 

1 hour ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

They have 200MM subscribers.  Probably amounts to $10B monthly revenues.  Every month you can keep that going is worth whatever effort it took. 

Spend one month of revenue on new content each year (around 150 movies & TV series seasons) and profit.  

On 4/5/2021 at 2:49 PM, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Seems like a tent pole kind of idea.  If they do this for a ton of movies, it would get out of hand. Do it for a few and have people signing up for the service because it is exclusively offered there, even though the rest of the content is much cheaper for Netflix to acquire. 

who the fuck pays $50/month for netflix?

• Hook 'Em 1

When they announce they spent $400 million, we have no idea if that is cash up-front or incentive based on how many views it receives. Not to mention that production costs have to come out it too. Also did Netflix buy the original film as part of this?

Netflix is crazy in that they release new, original content every day. And I don't mean a new original episode is released every day but rather entire projects released every day.  HBO might release a new series every month or so... For Netflix they hit that by 10am.

• 9 months later...

Update.  It'll be out before the end of the year in theaters (for award eligibility) and Netflix.  Jessica Henwick, Kathryn Hahn, Ethan Hawke, Dave Bautista, and Janelle Monae so far, plus Daniel Craig. Production started in June, wrapped in September.

https://variety.com/2022/awards/awards/knives-out-2-release-date-fall-1235159727/

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 1:49 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Update.  It'll be out before the end of the year in theaters (for award eligibility) and Netflix.  Jessica Henwick, Kathryn Hahn, Ethan Hawke, Dave Bautista, and Janelle Monae so far, plus Daniel Craig. Production started in June, wrapped in September.

https://variety.com/2022/awards/awards/knives-out-2-release-date-fall-1235159727/

So, no Ana de Armas nekkid???