Austin dreams

texasdago

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Legit threat of flooding in Houston over the next few days. Just checking in to see if Dago has a paper bag to breathe into and a ton of Xanax. 

Just teasing, dude. 

Please feel free to notify us the next time you personally deal with a disaster and have to comfort your kids about the trauma they've suffered so we can come here and make fun of you.

Just teasing, dude.

• 7 months later...
On 9/16/2019 at 10:33 AM, SydneyCarton said:

A good buddy of mine lives in Shady Hollow, and he's a realtor in the area. His place is freaking awesome, he has a massive yard, backs up to a huge park, neighborhood is pretty with lots of trees, deer aren't uncommon. It's a great place to live, they love it. If there's no traffic, 15 minutes into Austin. 

On 9/16/2019 at 10:46 AM, 4th&Five said:

seth meyers lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Maybe not quite 15 minutes, but not much more than that ... and then only because of the slow speed limits up Brodie. SH45 SW opening up has relieved a lot of the traffic on Brodie. Obviously it takes longer during rush hour, but that's not what Sydney was talking about. Right now, Google shows 19 minutes from the middle of Shady Hollow (Brodie & Green Emerald) to 6th & Congress.

I don't live in that 'hood, but I live 5-7 minutes away from where he's talking about. Right now, google maps shows 15 minutes from my driveway to 6th & Congress. People never believe that, but I do it all the time. In fact, between 6am & 6:15 on work days, I get from my driveway to 6th & I-35 in 11 minutes, & all the way to 51st & Old Manor in 15 to 18, whether I cut across on Ben White, Chavez, or Enfield. /csb

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Come to Austin... we can find something to bitch about.  Even Ldogg can visit.

Heck yeah, you'll bitch about Austin.  'Cause that's what we do around here. 

Here's a starter pack-- old Austin (you know, "Good Austin")-- is dead.  When and where did it die?  ;)

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

Oh yeah, I'm sure I'll find something to whine about.  But old everything is always dying.  Treebeards in downtown Houston is about to be history.  I shed a tear when the Aquarium on West Dallas bit the dust and the Comedy Worskhop turned into a dry cleaner.  Old "this" comes and goes.  It sucks.  But sometimes the new stuff is cool, too.  Old Austin would get me shot in east Austin.  It wouldn't get me a good meal.  Back in college, I had no idea what was on Mopac south of 71.  It didn't exist to me.  Now I'm going to live there.  It's all good.  We'll make the best of it, think of the old Austin we loved and make new memories in today's Austin.  And we'll blame California for everything.    

• Haha 1

I was far from an Old Austin foodie. Juan in a Million was going out on a limb for me. I only went after a girl from Tarrytown dragged me there for a brunch. I was a poor college student and didn't want to be hungry anymore. It was just that simple.

Plenty of decent meals at : Abels, Guero's, Players, EZ's, Shoal Creek Saloon, the gyro place by Castilian, The Tavern on Lamar, that Tex Mex place with the sunken courtyard on Red River, Dirty Martin's,  the wing place by Towers, the bbq joint/ice house across the street from Towers, and Denny's. I never liked Trudy's. I begged others to consider other places, but the lure of cheap Mexican Martinis usually won out. 

I upped my game a few times for important dates. Hula Hut was a solid first date spot in good weather. I impressed an Italian girl by taking her to Asti on 43rd. Manuel's on Congress and Mai Thai were solid date spots downtown. Mai Thai was BYOB. I'd usually haul a handle of Yellow Tail and a young lady down there. Austin Land & Cattle was always my vote for dinner before formals. 

Was Old Austin more about good food or good times? I'd argue the latter. 

I grew up here, lived in 78704 for the better part of 15 years. I love Austin, other than traffic I’m not that torn up about how it’s changed. It’s a great place to live and I imagine new comers and those returning will love it. For me I’m shocked to say I could take it or leave it these days with the exception of Texas baseball and Lake Travis, those are my must haves.

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I was far from an Old Austin foodie. Juan in a Million was going out on a limb for me. I only went after a girl from Tarrytown dragged me there for a brunch. I was a poor college student and didn't want to be hungry anymore. It was just that simple.

Plenty of decent meals at : Abels, Guero's, Players, EZ's, Shoal Creek Saloon, the gyro place by Castilian, The Tavern on Lamar, that Tex Mex place with the sunken courtyard on Red River, Dirty Martin's,  the wing place by Towers, the bbq joint/ice house across the street from Towers, and Denny's. I never liked Trudy's. I begged others to consider other places, but the lure of cheap Mexican Martinis usually won out. 

I upped my game a few times for important dates. Hula Hut was a solid first date spot in good weather. I impressed an Italian girl by taking her to Asti on 43rd. Manuel's on Congress and Mai Thai were solid date spots downtown. Mai Thai was BYOB. I'd usually haul a handle of Yellow Tail and a young lady down there. Austin Land & Cattle was always my vote for dinner before formals. 

Was Old Austin more about good food or good times? I'd argue the latter. 

Good times for sure... Austin was not a great food "destination" when we were there but, then again Player's, Texadelphia, Dirty's were not locations you went for "cuisine".  It was the experience.  Abel's... perfect example.  I didn't even know they had food but I do still have my pewter mug since I drank there so much.

No matter what changes about Austin, all is right when I walk/run around the Hike and Bike trail, or spend an afternoon in Zilker, or paddle board Town Lake. Those 3 thing are unique to Austin. Restaurants come and go, bars come and go, people come and go. The trail, the park, and the lake will always be there. For me, that's what makes Austin. That and my boat on Lake Travis when I want to spend a day on that beautiful lake.

I don't get people who live in the area and do not enjoy the unique opportunities outside. That is the reason I live in Austin.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Good times for sure... Austin was not a great food "destination" when we were there but, then again Player's, Texadelphia, Dirty's were not locations you went for "cuisine".  It was the experience.  Abel's... perfect example.  I didn't even know they had food but I do still have my pewter mug since I drank there so much.

Can anyone speak to Abel's West Campus current viability? I went before the lockdown in early March at noon Saturday and the place was completely empty and looked run down. 

I went to every Abel's Tuesday Night after I turned 21. $1 longnecks were the best. You could have a very good time with $10-15 in your pocket. 

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

No matter what changes about Austin, all is right when I walk/run around the Hike and Bike trail, or spend an afternoon in Zilker, or paddle board Town Lake. Those 3 thing are unique to Austin. Restaurants come and go, bars come and go, people come and go. The trail, the park, and the lake will always be there. For me, that's what makes Austin. That and my boat on Lake Travis when I want to spend a day on that beautiful lake.

I don't get people who live in the area and do not enjoy the unique opportunities outside. That is the reason I live in Austin.

...and there is why we are coming back to Austin.  Yeah, I wish some of the "old places" were still around.  Some of the new places are great, too, though.  Funny... I know there's a love/hate relationship with Guero's.  I like going there, sitting on the front patio and drinking margaritas while devouring tons of free pickled jalapenos with chips and salsa.  Guero's opened the year after I graduated.  I guess its part of the new old Austin or the old new Austin or whatever.  Place like that will come and go... the creeks, trails, lakes, hills... that's going to be there, even if some dumbass tries to tell me about "Ladybird Lake" 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Can anyone speak to Abel's West Campus current viability? I went before the lockdown in early March at noon Saturday and the place was completely empty and looked run down. 

I went to every Abel's Tuesday Night after I turned 21. $1 longnecks were the best. You could have a very good time with $10-15 in your pocket. 

It’s viability is completely dependent on classes being held on campus this fall. It’s looking like that will happen so Abels will have no problems. Students have not been around Austin since the end of February.

I miss Louie’s Lounge - on the west side of Trinity between E.6th & E.5th. It was a dive beer joint 55 years ago, probably closed by the early 1970s. Used to play a lot of drunken shuffleboard in there on Fridays & Saturdays.

Once in awhile we would go slumming at the Hyde Park Pool Hall across Guadalupe from the State Hospital. I once took a hot blonde date (At her request) in a black strapless cocktail dress in there to shoot a few games one evening, and the conversation noise died down immediately like it did when the Deltas went on their road trip. Good times.

and all the immigrants who don't know any better.

dago, please be sure to re-sod with St Augustine as soon as you move in.  maybe Lobo will have an aneurysm and fucking die.  addition by subtraction, as they say.

• Like 2

Guest Lobo

thank you for wishing my death with two young children.  Very manly of you.  It's a grass that has to really be tended to in order to proliferate properly and with respect to neighbors' boundaries.  As I'm getting word of a relative showing severe Covid-19 symptoms and it being my birthday, for you to throw that out into the universe as wish.....I can only say that I am truly touched by your comments.  I suggest you call your father and tell him what a man you've been today.  We are in awe of you today.  I wish you all the luck in the world young man.  From one father of daughters to another, your wife is a complete whore that many of us remember from college.  i wish you good vibes kind sir.  

Edited by Lobo