Austin dreams

texasdago

Guest Lobo

I have to admit, I did not see it coming from wd40.  Anyway, Austin is a nice place to live and god bless Boomerz.  I still remember hitting that place up for the Xavier/TX Elite 8 matchup (I  think it was 2006).  Robbie the bartender, who for some reason always had inexplicably wet swimming trunks on, tells us a great story about the guy who left to go "cash his paycheck."  

17 minutes ago, texasdago said:

So, help me out here... how in the world is Dry Creek still open?

I'm guessing it's in such an odd location and has grandfathered parking, so it's hard for another food/drink establishment to take over that space.  But I'm just spitballing. 

• 1 month later...

Its hot as crap but I can take solace that the dryness here makes a big difference in the mornings and evenings.  Checked 30 minutes ago and the weather app said Austin felt 10 degrees cooler than Houston.  Houston at 9 AM was a killer... here its still tolerable in the shade.

4 hours ago, texasdago said:

Its hot as crap but I can take solace that the dryness here makes a big difference in the mornings and evenings.  Checked 30 minutes ago and the weather app said Austin felt 10 degrees cooler than Houston.  Houston at 9 AM was a killer... here its still tolerable in the shade.

Yeah, I complain about the “humidity” in Austin (live here), then I am reminded of real humidity when I go to Houston (grew up there)

• Like 1

So, even yesterday which hit 106, it was very comfortable in the morning.  Houston's "feels like" temperature at the same time in the morning was 11 degrees higher.  Have to admit it, y'all were right about that humidity difference... mornings and evenings is when you truly notice it.  Not to mention I can go to somewhere like the Llano, Pedernales or a lake to cool off whereas in Houston I had my choice of Buffalo, Braes, Chocolate, Sims, etc. for a refreshing swim with the alligator gars.  Now, if only they would reopen the f'ing Greenbelt. 

Question...

Looking for ideas on the best swimming spots in Pace Bend Park. From what I saw, the western side of the park may be closed so what are some good swimming spots on the east or northern side? I'm interested in places where the water is nice and clear and not with a muddier shoreline. While cliff diving sounds fun, I understand you have to climb back up which might not be as easy for the kids. Still, I'm open to suggestions as I wouldn't mind a cliff or two. Also, I understand water shoes are pretty much a must now in Lake Travis.

• 1 month later...

well, I have to say... August may have been a bit of a beating weather-wise (Although heat doesn't bother me too much), since then I'm going to say Austin weather > Houston weather all day long.  Even during the summer, Austin always felt better.  Besides, I can go jump in some water here whereas in Houston I never wanted to make friends with an alligator gar in a bayou.  

well, I have to say... August may have been a bit of a beating weather-wise (Although heat doesn't bother me too much), since then I'm going to say Austin weather > Houston weather all day long.  Even during the summer, Austin always felt better.  Besides, I can go jump in some water here whereas in Houston I never wanted to make friends with an alligator gar in a bayou.  

You know you could always jump into a pool instead of a bayou, right?

I live in town (houston), minutes from downtown and the heights. When I was out on 290, i hated it. I should have bought in town 20 years ago 

I lived in the Heights and Oak Forest for several years and I spend a shitload of time in the loop doing photography. I know this city like the back of my hand and what it has to offer. I stand by my dislike.

The best way I can articulate living in Houston : It's place where you come for work. At first you learn to tolerate it. Later you come to mildly enjoy it. It's improved dramatically since hosting the Super Bowl in 2004. I can't understand retiring here, but plenty of people do it. 

I know people want more house, better schools, and a big pool,  but living in the Houston suburbs is a tough beat. 

Look, there's actually a lot I love about Houston and quite a bit I miss about Houston but for quality of life, I think the move to Austin was a really good one for us.  We were in a good spot in Houston... great schools, easy to get places where we wanted to hang out, not a burb like Pearland, Katy, etc. but I knew this would be better for us.  Reminds me of a friend who moved here a couple of years ago from Houston.  He loves Houston but, like me, wonders about the city's future.  He always comments that when he takes the 71 exit past Columbus from I-10, its like everything gets better.  I agree with him.  

Edited by texasdago

The first few years that I moved from Austin, I lined to be back. We left in 2007 and after returning several times since, I can state with 100% confidence that I will never live in Austin again. It’s not the same town we left and, imo, none of the changes are positive. I live in The Woodlands and enjoy it. I also enjoy going into Houston and spending some time. I have no desire to retire here, but it serves all of my purposes until then.

As a native Austinite that moved away 20 years ago and had the opportunity to move back last year and chose instead to move to Houston, I don't regret the decision one bit. I'm in Austin almost every week for work or to visit family and it's a complete beating. Even more of a beating are the people who have moved there recently and proclaim it to be some sort of utopia. It's not. It lost its soul years ago and it's just like any other big city in TX with even worse traffic and overpriced real estate.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I don't understand the Austin has wonderful weather sentiment. It's hot as f*** in Austin. If you don't think so, attend a day game at DKR. 

DFW has the best weather in Texas in my opinion. "Dry heat", some semblance of winter, and DFW always gets the cold fronts first. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don't get this Austin has such wonderful weather stuff. It's hot as f*** in Austin. If you don't think, attend a day game at DKR. 

DFW has the best weather in Texas in my opinion. "Dry heat", some semblance of winter, and DFW always gets the cold fronts first. 

I don't see anyone saying Austin has such wonderful weather.  I do see Texasdago saying he prefers Austin weather to Houston weather. 

Weather is a matter of personal opinion.  Dallas gets too cold for me.  Heck, even Austin gets too cold for me. Someday I'll be living on a tropical island, then I won't ever have to worry about sub 60 degrees.

In my love/hate relationship with Houston, I am currently at 87.33% hate. Large swaths of wasteland. But I can’t move because my wife likes her job.
Get a new wife. I solve problems.

I'll always be a native Houstonian, but our move to the hill country 4 years ago was the best thing I've ever done. My job is still in Houston for another 4051 days if the place doesn't go tits up.

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don't understand the Austin has wonderful weather sentiment. It's hot as f*** in Austin. If you don't think so, attend a day game at DKR. 

So, I can't compare Austin to Dallas (although I know Dallas sucks and tornadoes) but there is no doubt that mornings and evenings in Austin are much more comfortable than Houston.  100% fact thanks to lower dewpoints.  As for DKR, I've sat through 11 AM and 2 PM kickoffs at DKR.  It sucks tremendously but, I'm telling you, the humidity in Houston makes it worse.  Often a 10 degree difference in "feels like" temperature.  Yesterday Hobby hit a record at 97 degrees and I think we hit 90 here.  

Oh... and I will always rep Houston, the Astros, the Rockets, the Oilers (screw the Texans) and the pine trees.  I miss the pine trees.

Edited by texasdago

Get a new wife. I solve problems.

I'll always be a native Houstonian, but our move to the hill country 4 years ago was the best thing I've ever done. My job is still in Houston for another 4051 days if the place doesn't go tits up.

Get me a job at your company (really, I need one) and I will move to the hill country. Please.

Until my younger brother and I had kids (not together, we are Texans not Okies), him and I were the only native houstonians in the family (mom is from San Antonio, pops from Costa Rica/Brazil, and older brother born in Austin). I don’t totally hate Houston (look at my current hate percentage), but really the only things that keep me here besides my wife’s career is family and an airport with direct flights to Brazil. Two of my favorite BBQ joints are here, so that’s cool.

I will say this, Tex-Mex in Austin is way, way inferior than Houston.

Let's all just be honest.  Most of our state, at least in terms of where people actually live, is a fucking swamp-ass haven.  Austin may be a little drier heat at one point, and Dallas a little drier at some other point, and San Antonio this, and Houston has a nice season that.  It's all a fucking swamp-ass generator.  Just find somewhere you can make a better life for your kids, get some climated-cooled seats for your car, and just ride it out.  

Plus most of the people bragging about Austin don't actually live in Austin, they live in Cedar Park or Leander.  Most people bragging about Houston don't really live in Houston proper.  Same with Dallas.  We're all just debating different degrees of swamp-ass.  That's how the Bavarian Illuminati win damnit, don't you see?!?  We're all just tripping over one another to debate who has the sweatiest ballsack 6 months outta the year.  But we dress it up with bullshit like, "Well...in my exclusive neighborhood...it's fine...and I wouldn't wish living in any other part of Texas on anyone else." 

I live in South Austin, my balls are sweaty, and I love Texas.  How's that fuckfaces?  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Let's all just be honest.  Most of our state, at least in terms of where people actually live, is a fucking swamp-ass haven.  Austin may be a little drier heat at one point, and Dallas a little drier at some other point, and San Antonio this, and Houston has a nice season that.  It's all a fucking swamp-ass generator.  Just find somewhere you can make a better life for your kids, get some climated-cooled seats for your car, and just ride it out.  

Plus most of the people bragging about Austin don't actually live in Austin, they live in Cedar Park or Leander.  Most people bragging about Houston don't really live in Houston proper.  Same with Dallas.  We're all just debating different degrees of swamp-ass.  That's how the Bavarian Illuminati win damnit, don't you see?!?  We're all just tripping over one another to debate who has the sweatiest ballsack 6 months outta the year.  But we dress it up with bullshit like, "Well...in my exclusive neighborhood...it's fine...and I wouldn't wish living in any other part of Texas on anyone else." 

I live in South Austin, my balls are sweaty, and I love Texas.  How's that fuckfaces?  

Man, I had to drive out to Leander and Round Rock for soccer tournaments last week.  F that noise.  How do people live out there?  I'm 13 minutes to Zilker - happy where we are. 

Edited by texasdago

6 minutes ago, texasdago said:

So, I can't compare Austin to Dallas (although I know Dallas sucks and tornadoes) but there is no doubt that mornings and evenings in Austin are much more comfortable than Houston.  100% fact thanks to lower dewpoints.  As for DKR, I've sat through 11 AM and 2 PM kickoffs at DKR.  It sucks tremendously but, I'm telling you, the humidity in Houston makes it worse.  Often a 10 degree difference in "feels like" temperature.  Yesterday Hobby hit a record at 97 degrees and I think we hit 90 here.  

Oh... and I will always rep Houston, the Astros, the Rockets, the Oilers (screw the Texans) and the pine trees.  I miss the pine trees.

So Austin is a sauna and Houston is a steam room. Got it. My point is Austin isn't nestled in the Davis Mountains. It gets extremely hot there and doesn't have seasons. The weather is nothing special or unique to the Hill Country. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So Austin is a sauna and Houston is a steam room. Got it. My point is Austin isn't nestled in the Davis Mountains. It gets extremely hot there and doesn't have seasons. The weather is nothing special or unique to the Hill Country. 

Spend a few decades in Houston... I'm telling you its more comfortable here.  But even in Houston I worked in the yard when it was in the upper 90s.  I spend most of my time outside (its a weird side effect from Harvey... long story) and I can manage this.  Granted, our house has lots of shade.  I spent all summer in Austin with my office on the back porch... shade + fan + southerly breeze and I'm set... until about 3 but even then its manageable. 

I dunno, Spring is kinda nice here.  But I wish we had an Autumn, my favorite season by far growing up in the Midwest.  It actually seems based on last week and next week, that we may actually have one this year.  But I'm sure i just jinxed it.  

The only two saving graces of the heat here are two tidbits my grandfather told me once upon a time when they retired to Florida and I nearly passed out just visiting them as a skinny youth.  

One item was when I was much younger and had to deal with the snow at my mom's house..."Lobo, down here...you don't have to shovel Sunshine."  

and when I got older and admired the ladies, he'd point out women in sundresses who cared about smooth skin and nice tans and he and my dad would say,   

"they can't get that pretty wearing sweatpants up north!" 

You can tell me how awesome Houston and Dallas are for your business, your house, your schools, your country club, your heritage, your weather, your way of life, your legacy, your name cache, etc., etc., etc.  You win, I don't care.  We all make our way where we can, when we can.  But my town...Austin, Texas.  We have...per capita...the best ass for 1000 miles in any direction.  It's not just UT, it's a younger urban demographic.  It's a culture of working on the ass to make it as delightful as possible.  It's a more outdoor/tan-friendly attitude.  All the way up to the yoga-pant models at my grocery stores each week.......the ass shines here every day.  

Austin Ass.  This is the Way.  Y'all can have the rest of your petty bullshit.  

Edited by Lobo

I've only been to that one on a few occasions over the years...and much respect.  But I'm partial to my HEB and my Whole Foods.  And because of the line out front each day, the ass parade in front of my Trader Joe's has just been off the fucking charts.  It's like there's a rule, that at least 2-3 nice asses have to be out front at any given point just in case some shit goes down and we need beautiful butts to see us through.  

But yes, Houston has better dining scene.  Which is to be expected considering how much larger and more diverse it is than Austin. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Dallas has the best weather of any big city in Texas, but it's pretty marginal. Austin is hotter and more humid. Houston is just straight miserable paved over swamp land with no breeze and no seasons.

You get the most 65-85 degree, breezy, sunny days in Dallas of any city. But it's still hot as fuck in the summer and has the shittiest "cold" days in the winter. 

Hmmm, I think El Paso has a dog in this best Texas weather fight. I mean, sure, it’s hot but unlike the rest of us arguing over 70% vs 65% humidity, it is literally dry. Winters get chilly as well as at night in the spring and fall. Plus people from El Paso are less pretentious than those from Dallas. And no Rex Kramer.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Hmmm, I think El Paso has a dog in this best Texas weather fight. I mean, sure, it’s hot but unlike the rest of us arguing over 70% vs 65% humidity, it is literally dry. Winters get chilly as well as at night in the spring and fall. Plus people from El Paso are less pretentious than those from Dallas. And no Rex Kramer.

Sure. I'd struggle to think of anyone I know that has lived or lives in El Paso, but you're probably right.

2 hours ago, royiv said:

As a native Austinite that moved away 20 years ago and had the opportunity to move back last year and chose instead to move to Houston, I don't regret the decision one bit. I'm in Austin almost every week for work or to visit family and it's a complete beating. Even more of a beating are the people who have moved there recently and proclaim it to be some sort of utopia. It's not. It lost its soul years ago and it's just like any other big city in TX with even worse traffic and overpriced real estate.

Yup to every word of this.

Left about 4 months ago and haven't had one regret.

17 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

People in Los Angeles are less pretentious than those from Dallas.

Ha!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1