NYC Early August-Wife and Kids

cabowabo

There are probably numerous threads on this, but the search engine on this site sucks dick, so I’ll post again. Looks like I’m headed up to NYC for 7 nights in early August. I’ve never been to New York, so don’t know shit about traveling there.  I’ve got enough miles to fly us up there for free, but I’m sure I’ll get assraped financially otherwise. Going with the wife, 14 yo son and 10 year old daughter (no pics).  

Any suggestions on things to do would be appreciated. Yankees are playing the Red Sox, so probably will do that. Also will do the 9/11 Museum and Memorial, Statue of Liberty, and I guess some other museums. Any Broadway shows I should hit or other can’t miss items?

Would also appreciate any hotel suggestions. I don’t want to pay and arm and a leg, but I’m not gonna stay in a shithole either. Not even sure what area to stay in....maybe Times Square or Manhattan?

TLDR: Going to NYC with wife and kids for 7 nights in early August. Never been to NYC and don’t know shit about NYC. Need suggestions on things to do and where to stay. 

Make sure to get your SOL tickets now, if they’re still available. The Met Museum needs to be on your list with Hayden Planetarium. Do Top of the Rock which is better since you’re halfway in Manhattan and get both views + Empire State Building. Also check out the area around Rockefeller Center. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and go down to DUMBO. Go to Governor’s Island. Wicked is a good show that your kids may like. Get some pizza from John’s on Bleecher or Lombardi’s which is the oldest pizza place in NYC. Go to the High Line and Chelsea Market. Spend a couple days in Central Park. Do one half one day and the other half the next.

If you aren’t a bitch about using the subway, I’d highly recommend the Radisson Martinique at 34th and Herald Square. That’s midtown Manhattan. Sits on a great subway station with most of the major routes all going through it. We did this 2 years ago with our then 9 and 7 year old and it was so easy to get both uptown and downtown with the lines there. I’ve never stayed in Times Square because of the price. I’ve stayed just above that at the Park Central Hotel which is close to Central Park and off 2 subway lines. It’s close enough to walk to Times Square but not as over to top. Again, use the subway. It’s not that difficult. Just takes a little planning and some bravery. Cheaper than cabbing or taking an Uber everywhere. It’s going to be hot in NY then. Make sure to work in some ice cream stops and breaks. 

Edited by mdmost

Highline

difara’s pizza

artichoke pizza

walk over the Brooklyn bridge to the original grimaldis

sandwich at Parisi bakery in little italy

play catch/frisbee and have a picnic in Central Park (or Prospect Park)

natural history museum 

walk around times square

broadway play or two

yankees/Red Sox and go to citi field for a mets game as well if the timing works out

The original shake shack in Madison square park

Pommes frites in the east village

chinatown in queens

koreatown in Herald’s square

Statue of Liberty tour

Will post some additional thoughts later, but the Radisson recommended above by Herald Square is a great choice.  Convenient to pretty much every line and prolly $75-$100 less per night than staying in Times Square, plus you’re not staying in fucking Times Square.....

Thanks for the info. The Radisson is booked for the dates I’m going. Right now, I have reservations at the Skyline Hotel in Hells Kitchen, but I can cancel it if I find something better. They had a 20% promo with a 7 night stay that comes out to $200 per night. After the $400 taxes (fuck you NYC), it’s $1800. Has decent reviews on the interwebs. Anyone have any feedback on this place?

As far as activities, so far I have the 911 Memorial Tour and Musuem and the Statue of Liberty/Ellis island tour booked. I have tickets to the Yankees/Red Sox Sunday Night game on Aug. 4. Also planning a Mets game the next day. It’s a single ticket doubleheader against the Marlins. Probably only hit the second/night game. 

Tips from our recent family trip to NYC.  My kids are about the same age.

We saw School of Rock, good show for kids/ family.  If you or your family is not overly "in to Broadway" this would be a good option.

Get a city pass before you go.  You can do a little research and pick the one that allows you to see what is on your list and save a little.  Top of the rock has better views then Empire.  We did both.  Do top of rock late at night.  There are three levels and we were able to go to the very top with out paying extra.  Again, awesome experience at night.

Going to the Statue of liberty will kill 2/3 of a day, not really worth it in my opinion, YMMV.  

Central park is worth the time.

My kids loved Dylan's Candy Bar, FAO Piano from Big, NBC studio tour, checking our trump tower, and Times square at night (hit up after a Broadway show)

Natural History Museum is good, not great.  The Met is awesome.  We did not do the Aircraft carrier museum (forgot name) and regret it not doing it.  Its a little out of the way.

Game at Yankee Stadium is a must do

We stayed at The Quin, one block south of Central Park near the Plaza and Trump hotels.  Great location, and a large room for NYC standards.  Would recommend if not using points for hotel.

Food is going to cost you a fortune.  I still get pissed thinking about what I spent.  Prepare for $125-$175 lunches with no alcohol.  Dinner can hit $200 fast.  

Joe's Shanghai for really good Chinese and is affordable.

Found The Smith on our last morning.  Great food, open Breakfast lunch and Dinner.  

Balthazar is fantastic and worth every penny.

Was not impressed with ABC Kitchen- 

Start booking reservations ASAP for lunch and dinner.

Download and set up Curb app.  Lets you pay for cab through app.  Cabs are generally easier then UBER/Lyft unless you are heading across town.

Take the ferry from Manhatten over to Staten Island takes you right past the Statue of LIberty and gives you plenty of photo ops an kids will enjoy the boat ride. 

Go walk around Wall Street, etc. 

We had passes on the open air bus, you can hop on and off or just ride it around which will give you a good layout of the city and then you can figure out what you wanna go back and see. 

I would echo the suggestion for 30 Rock; we got up there later in the day and watched the sun set and the city light up. Was one of the highlights of the trip. 

Honestly it's hard to go wrong in NYC in my opinion especially if you have never been. 

One cheap thing I do with folks when they visit is catch an East River ferry at 35th Street and take it all the way down to Wall Street. It gives you a cool viewing of the city while going under all three lower Manhattan bridges, and then you can walk around the wall street/world trade center area when you get off. Alternatively, you could get off at the DUMBO stop and do that whole thing, then walk across the Brooklyn Bridge back to Manhattan.  

China Town for dim sum (Nom Wah, Joe's, Jing Fong, etc.). Since it's your first time, Manhattan China Town will suffice.

Washington Square Park in the summer is one of my favorite places to be. I have a feeling your 14 year old son will enjoy as well.  If you are trying to stay uptown, Bryant Park or Sheep's Meadow in Central Park would suffice. 

John's on Bleeker seems like a good idea with kids, as does a baseball game.  The food at Citi Field is better than the food at Yankee stadium FWIW.  

Never been to NYC with kids but just want to chime in with some of the previous responses. Subway is the way to travel if you are trying to save some $$. Google Maps and other subway-specific apps make route planning really easy. Cabs and Uber add up fast, and I think 7day subway passes are a thing. We like the passes because they give you a margin for error if you miss a stop or accidentally get on the wrong train—without the pass, you may have to pay again when you re-route. But again, with four people cabs and ubers may be a better value, and you can just buy single subway tickets when the route is direct or convenient. 

Also—you are going to take your lumps on food costs. Don’t know how frugal you’re interested in being, but we’ve bought breakfast bars and put juice in the room fridge to at least save on breakfast a couple days. But again, there are some great breakfast/brunch options...Sadelle’s is great, the lox tower is cool and delicious. You’ll need reservations there. Clinton Street Bakery is great too, but the wait can be long. Anyway, I’m rambling.

100% do Top of the Rock. A Night or Day visit each has its own unique appeal.

Met is awesome of course. The Weapons/Armor hall is super cool, as is Egyptian exhibit. 

Natural History has some appeal for younger kids, I think, if they’re into dinosaurs.

Block out some time for Central Park, for sure. AND IF YOU DON’T READ ANYTHING ELSE I SAY, READ THIS: Don’t let your kids talk you into a carriage ride. Scam and terrible in every way. Spend the $50 at Dylan’s Candy.

Also—get a life-changing cookie at Levain Bakery. There’s a location near Central Park.

That’s all I got for now. Just wait for Spanky to come along and offer the best advice.

Edited by Llewelyn Moss

On 7/3/2019 at 10:37 PM, Gil Bang said:

NYC summertime pussy is a sight to behold.  leave the family behind. 

Just got back.  Short work trip.  But it still never fails. 

For OP:  We go a few times a year.  Half guys trips, half with the wife.  There's so much to do either way.  I saw the memorial/freedom tower and all for the first time this spring.  Really impressive.  Food...The street carts are great and the other end of the spectrum with all the Michelin star places rock as well.  Really hard to fuck up.  I can't give advice for the kids part of it but I'd think you'd be hard pressed to screw NYC up. 

Oh and who the hell is scared of the subway?  JFC  There's many times where it's the only way to get around.  An uber at the wrong times of the day will take well over an hour compared to 15 min on the train.  Don't be scared to get lost.  It's the best way to learn.  People are probably a lot more helpful than the stereotypes.  I wasn't that old on 9/11 (22 - had only been twice) but New Yorkers insist the city softened quite a bit after that.  Personally, I prefer Chicago to live as it's easier to get around with work etc but the energy NYC has is unmatched.  

52 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

For OP:  We go a few times a year.  Half guys trips, half with the wife.  There's so much to do either way.  I saw the memorial/freedom tower and all for the first time this spring.  Really impressive.  Food...The street carts are great and the other end of the spectrum with all the Michelin star places rock as well.  Really hard to fuck up.  I can't give advice for the kids part of it but I'd think you'd be hard pressed to screw NYC up. 

Oh and who the hell is scared of the subway?  JFC  There's many times where it's the only way to get around.  An uber at the wrong times of the day will take well over an hour compared to 15 min on the train.  Don't be scared to get lost.  It's the best way to learn.  People are probably a lot more helpful than the stereotypes.  I wasn't that old on 9/11 (22 - had only been twice) but New Yorkers insist the city softened quite a bit after that.  Personally, I prefer Chicago to live as it's easier to get around with work etc but the energy NYC has is unmatched.  

Yep. We didn't even know we had taken a bad route when this nice woman noticed and volunteered to get us going the right way again. 

There's a good offline app that spanky pointed me to called Zuti that has all the subway lines mapped out. It doesn't use data to show you the subway lines as the map is built into the app. If you know your origination and end points, it would point you to the right line (direction) and number of stops. It really helped me out with planning. Then it was just keeping uptown and downtown lines straight. But that app made it where I could just use one line, if chosen right, to get us to our destination. Subways are a nice adventure and give you a greater sense of how a city that size moves that many people all around at a given time. Just avoid the rush hours. 

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/new-york-subway-from-zuti/id670561270

Edited by mdmost

I will second the Grey Line bus pass as a way to sightsee and get a general layout of things and you can use it as transport back to the places you want to go spend some time.

Subway is great if you know what you're doing or plan it and I'm sure google maps helps, but for first timers, the bus pass is pretty can't miss.

As others have said, Top of the Rock is great.  You can also hang out in the area to see some cool shops.  The Nintendo and Lego shops in the area would be good for kids to check out.  Bouchon Baker (Thomas Keller) is also right there.  The Oh Ohs and oreos are both really good sweets.

For shows, Hamilton and Lion King are freakin incredible if you want to drop the coin.  Otherwise, you can get up early and check out TKTS in Times Square.  They sell same day tickets on the cheap for various shows.  You won't get Hamilton or Lion King, but you might find something that looks good.

I'd suggest MOMA, but it's closed right now.  The Met and the Public Library are both really cool to check out.  

11 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I got lost down by Ground Zero.  This is a few years back.  

I walk up to a cop and ask directions.  He says "where ya' from".  I say  San Diego.  In his thickest possible NY accent, he says "hey, do me a favor when you get home...Tell the fuckin' Chargers to pay for their own fuckin' stadium".

Then he gave me directions. 

17 hours ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

That’s all I got for now. Just wait for Spanky to come along and offer the best advice.

Not much to add to what has already been posted. Everyone has their favorite pizza spot, section of Central Park and priorities on how much time to spend in Times Square. For a first timer, it's pretty overwhelming to take it all in. Normally I would tell you not to stay only in the city and to venture out, but kids change that dynamic. So I personally would start at the bottom and work my way uptown. (I.E. SOL, 9/11 Memorial, Trinity Church, NYSE, Presidential memorial, Fraunces Tavern on Day 1; Meatpacking District, SoHo, LITA, Chinatown, Brooklyn Bridge on Day 2; etc.) One place that often gets overlooked is the Columbia/Inwood area where Grant's Tomb and Tom's Diner (Actually, restaurant) from the song and Seinfeld are. 

Maybe I'm just used to it by now, but the food cost thing is a bit exaggerated. If you are going to do a foodie tour, yes, you will pay out the ass. If you are grabbing a few slices of pizza, some decent Chinese and a family dinner, it's not too bad. The only recommendation I will give you is to do Tony DiNapoli's with the family for your TS visit. (Make a reservation on OpenTable, as will need to do with most places) 

You will need to take the subway, but the bus tours are great to get the lay of the land. Yes, you will get lost on the subway. But, it's like driving a stick: It takes a day of practice. When it comes to giving directions, NYers rival Texans in helpfulness. I recommend the app MdMost posted about as you will most likely not have internet service while on the trains. If you're doing the Met's game, get Long Island Railroad (LIRR) tickets rather than taking the subway. Less of a shit show, and actual train with seats and worth the extra $ to get there quicker. These leave from Penn Station.

Never heard of the Skyline Hotel, but I used to live in Hell's Kitchen. If you're a Seinfeld fan, the original Soup (Nazi) Kitchen and Studio 54 are in the area once you've seen TS. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

BTW, did anybody else get to Strawberry Fields and go "this is IT?"

The cool thing about Strawberry Fields is the 3 metasequoias planted there on the north end of the triangle that in the lifetime of cabo's children will eventually tower over all other trees in central park.

The species was thought extinct until rediscovered by US servicemen in China in 1944.  like texas live oaks, it sheds it's foliage (needles) in the spring, not the fall;  it is the shortest of redwoods, and is the only living species of it's genus; fossil samples have been discovered worldwide, but most significantly, on Axel Heiberg island, the northnermost Canadian land at 80° N latitude.   Redwood fossils at 80° N are a problem for consensus climatology, egyptology, glaciation studies, global plate tectonic theory, and on and on and on.

Curiously, if you tilt the poles by 23° Axel Heiberg island receives enough sunlight to sustain the growth of Redwoods.  Or so i've heard.

Just a few things to add:

9/11 Museum: this will take much longer than you think. I would allot a minimum of 3 hours. It's overwhelming. I spent a lot of time reflecting. Be prepared to cry. (There are kleenex boxes everywhere for your convenience.)

I know Mario Batali turned out to be an asshole, but you might like Eataly. Kids love wandering around in there and the food is great. There is one less than a 10-min walk from the 9/11 Museum. Also in that vicinity is the Oculus/WTC transportation hub. It's architecturally stunning, so you should go just to see the building (the interior is really something). Aside from the train station, it also houses a mall, which includes a casual Daniel Boulud cafe. Get a slice of crepe cake at the Lady M cake boutique--it's like 20 layers of crepes stacked on top of each other with different fillings. We tried chocolate banana and it was got-damn delicious.

The Met: if you like abstract art, the recent ongoing exhibit Epic Abstraction is an excellent collection of large-scale pieces.

I second The Smith recommendation from someone upthread. It's a local chain and just really consistent and very good. Easy to get a table, reasonable prices, friendly service and GREAT mac-n-cheese.

If you want to go to one of the famous delis, Katz's is a good one. They've got their line/waiting/seating system down. The line looks long, but it's really only about 20 min. And I would request the section with table service. The staff is friendly and efficient.

It's already been mentioned several times, but John's for pizza. Always John's. Here's my John's CSB: There was one time I was there and in walks a large party, who were greeted enthusiastically by the owner and you got the feeling they were Important People. Turns out it was Tom Brady and Gisele Bunchen, and family. Their engagement was announced a couple weeks later.

Oh, that's another thing. You'll probably see a celebrity or two. On our last visit, we saw John Lithgow, Jennifer Lawrence and Dylan McDermott. (All at restaurants.) Have a great time, I'm really excited for you and your family!

Edited by creasy

9 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Not much to add to what has already been posted. Everyone has their favorite pizza spot, section of Central Park and priorities on how much time to spend in Times Square. For a first timer, it's pretty overwhelming to take it all in. Normally I would tell you not to stay only in the city and to venture out, but kids change that dynamic. So I personally would start at the bottom and work my way uptown. (I.E. SOL, 9/11 Memorial, Trinity Church, NYSE, Presidential memorial, Fraunces Tavern on Day 1; Meatpacking District, SoHo, LITA, Chinatown, Brooklyn Bridge on Day 2; etc.) One place that often gets overlooked is the Columbia/Inwood area where Grant's Tomb and Tom's Diner (Actually, restaurant) from the song and Seinfeld are. 

Maybe I'm just used to it by now, but the food cost thing is a bit exaggerated. If you are going to do a foodie tour, yes, you will pay out the ass. If you are grabbing a few slices of pizza, some decent Chinese and a family dinner, it's not too bad. The only recommendation I will give you is to do Tony DiNapoli's with the family for your TS visit. (Make a reservation on OpenTable, as will need to do with most places) 

You will need to take the subway, but the bus tours are great to get the lay of the land. Yes, you will get lost on the subway. But, it's like driving a stick: It takes a day of practice. When it comes to giving directions, NYers rival Texans in helpfulness. I recommend the app MdMost posted about as you will most likely not have internet service while on the trains. If you're doing the Met's game, get Long Island Railroad (LIRR) tickets rather than taking the subway. Less of a shit show, and actual train with seats and worth the extra $ to get there quicker. These leave from Penn Station.

Never heard of the Skyline Hotel, but I used to live in Hell's Kitchen. If you're a Seinfeld fan, the original Soup (Nazi) Kitchen and Studio 54 are in the area once you've seen TS. 

Yeah we've ridden subways in quite a few places & never had any trouble, never got lost etc, even in places where we spoke none of the language ... until we got to NYC. We still rode them, but I'll admit it was definitely confusing at first. Kinda like reading a book with every other line blacked out. But, with the help of the locals, we got around.

6 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah we've ridden subways in quite a few places & never had any trouble, never got lost etc, even in places where we spoke none of the language ... until we got to NYC. We still rode them, but I'll admit it was definitely confusing at first. Kinda like reading a book with every other line blacked out. But, with the help of the locals, we got around.

For its study, the group analyzed maps of the world’s 15 largest metro transit networks, as determined by total stations. They considered all the trips a traveler could make from Point A to Point B with two connections, then determined the fastest possible path for a given trip. That framework aligned with behavioral research showing that people can store up to four pieces of information in their working memory at one time—in this case, a trip’s origin, its destination, and two transfer stations.

The result was a “cumulative” complexity rating that saw the New York subway at the head of the pack—earning it the title of the “most complex metropolitan system in the world”—and Hong Kong’s metro rail network at the back:

1. New York City
  2. Paris
  3. Tokyo
  4. London
  5. Madrid
  6. Barcelona
  7. Moscow
  8. Seoul
  9. Shanghai
  10. Mexico City
  11. Berlin
  12. Chicago
  13. Osaka
  14. Beijing
  15. Hong Kong

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2016/02/most-complex-transit-subway-maps-world-tokyo-new-york-paris/470565/

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.  I have downloaded and been playing around with the Citymapper app, and this makes (at least from my sofa) the subway system seem navigable even to a retard like me.  It tells you where to enter the subway, which one to get one, and what stop to get off.  I understand there will be no data service in the subway, but it seems to store your current trip without service, so I don't see what the issue might be.  Will this app really make it this easy?

As far as subways, I will be there from 7/31 to 8/7, and it appears that the best thing may be to buy 4 seven day unlimited passes for $132 ($33 each).  Looking at estimated uber/lyft prices, the subway is going to be much cheaper.  Is this 7 day unlimited pass way the way to go?

Finally, what's the best way to get from the airport (LaGuardia) to my hotel?  I don't think using the Subway for this travel would be smart as I'll have a lot of luggage and that will just add to the stress of trying to use the subway for the first time.  Should I just Uber or cab it, or is there some kind of transfer service I could by to get me to my hotel?

Again, appreciate all the feedback on this.  

23 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.  I have downloaded and been playing around with the Citymapper app, and this makes (at least from my sofa) the subway system seem navigable even to a retard like me.  It tells you where to enter the subway, which one to get one, and what stop to get off.  I understand there will be no data service in the subway, but it seems to store your current trip without service, so I don't see what the issue might be.  Will this app really make it this easy?

As far as subways, I will be there from 7/31 to 8/7, and it appears that the best thing may be to buy 4 seven day unlimited passes for $132 ($33 each).  Looking at estimated uber/lyft prices, the subway is going to be much cheaper.  Is this 7 day unlimited pass way the way to go?

Finally, what's the best way to get from the airport (LaGuardia) to my hotel?  I don't think using the Subway for this travel would be smart as I'll have a lot of luggage and that will just add to the stress of trying to use the subway for the first time.  Should I just Uber or cab it, or is there some kind of transfer service I could by to get me to my hotel?

Again, appreciate all the feedback on this.  

1. Never heard of that app but there are dozens of them that do the same thing. No, it isn't nearly as easy as you think it will be. Most subway stops have multiple entrances that could be blocks apart. Some don't let you transfer lines (Ex. Penn Station from the 1-2-3 to the A-C-E) and some entrances only allow you to go one direction depending on what side of the street you are on. (Ex. 50th St.) Unless you can locate the exact exit you are looking for, you will be using GPS when you reach street level. A trick is that white dots are express stops and black dots are local stops (Which also go to the express stops if it's an option). The side that the stop's text is located on the subway map tells you which side of the train the doors will open to reach the platform. 

2. The pass will probably be a wash vs. single rides. I don't think you need it personally because you won't be using the subway as much as you think you will. You don't go to NYC to see what it looks like underground and you'll cross a lot of things off the list with the bus tour. If you can't handle walking, you're going to the wrong place. You can easily walk from the SOL to Brooklyn Bridge, as an example, while hitting other sites along the way. However, if you do the single rides, you can consolidate everything into one metro card. You can swipe and let someone go through the turnstile up to 6 times per station with a 20 minute reset time. You can reload the card as many times as needed and don't have to keep up with multiple cards. Finally, you will be using Uber at some point depending on the whether. 

3. Use Uber/Lyft. I use car services to go to the airport but it's a waste of time coming from LGA. An Uber/Lyft typically gets there in 1/2 the time that a prearranged service does because the car service doesn't dispatch the cars until you tell them that you are at the pickup spot and ready to go. I only fly AA and Southwest at LGA, which is in Terminal B. If you are taking those airlines, prepare to get lost. They have recently changed their policy to picking up your ride in the parking garage. Follow the signs and the pathway to the parking garage if you are landing at Terminal B. (You will need to go up the escalator) The setup is self explanatory when you get there as they have Section E, G, F, H, etc. You'll know where to go when you order the car because you will choose which section to be picked up at. Never cab it or accept a ride offer from a gypsy cab unless you want to spend a lot of $. There's always traffic on the Belt/Cross Island/Grand Central Parkway. It will change in a few years, but public transport to LGA isn't convenient like it is with JFK or EWR. 

First of a week in the city is way too long, esp in August.  It's hot, muggy, dirty, etc.   Most of the city is at the beach which is great for getting into restaurants that otherwise would be jammed.    If you haven't locked up your hotels take a day or two, rent a car and drive up into the Hudson Valley.  Stay up near Bear Mountain and spend the day in the park and then tour Westpoint etc. 

I guess I didn't realize NYC subway is that complex only because I learned public transpo while living there.  Currently in DC now and I'm amazed at the difference.   So far I haven't seen a single rat and have yet to smell urine.

With the metro cards.  Just buy one for you and the mrs.  Let the kids hop the turnstiles and take a beating from a NYC cop.  Give them that real nyc experience.

Edited by midtown

5 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

For its study, the group analyzed maps of the world’s 15 largest metro transit networks, as determined by total stations. They considered all the trips a traveler could make from Point A to Point B with two connections, then determined the fastest possible path for a given trip. That framework aligned with behavioral research showing that people can store up to four pieces of information in their working memory at one time—in this case, a trip’s origin, its destination, and two transfer stations.

The result was a “cumulative” complexity rating that saw the New York subway at the head of the pack—earning it the title of the “most complex metropolitan system in the world”—and Hong Kong’s metro rail network at the back:

1. New York City
  2. Paris

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2016/02/most-complex-transit-subway-maps-world-tokyo-new-york-paris/470565/

Wow. It's amazing that Paris is #2. It was the first I ever rode and I thought it was a piece of cake. Even in the 90s, speaking hardly any French.

Edited by wood

7 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:
  1. New York City
  2. Paris
  3. Tokyo
  4. London
  5. Madrid
  6. Barcelona
  7. Moscow
  8. Seoul
  9. Shanghai
  10. Mexico City
  11. Berlin
  12. Chicago
  13. Osaka
  14. Beijing
  15. Hong Kong 

Having been on maybe half of those systems, I have a hard time with NYC and Paris as #1 and #2. Those seemed pretty easy, I would have had them in the lower 1/3rd for sure. Maybe it's the language issue, but Tokyo and Seoul were pretty tough, got pretty lost a couple of times.

Whoever said it's hot as balls down on the subway platform isn't lying, either. Was there a couple of years ago during the July heat wave. It was too hot to walk a few times, so I decided to jump on the subway. Even though the trains come every 8 minutes or whatever, time your arrival to the platform as best you can. Because if you just miss the train and have to stand there, 8 minutes will feel like 2 hours and you'll have wished you had doubled your Gold Bond.

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

Whoever said it's hot as balls down on the subway platform isn't lying, either.

Try it in a suit on an old red bird after you've walked 5 blocks from your apt.  I used to stand up on the street level and wait until I could hear a train coming and then book it down to the platform

Edited by midtown

A comment above questioned the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island tour as being too long.  I booked the following tour through American Airlines:

Visits to the Statue of Liberty National Monument and Ellis Island are musts in the Big Apple, especially for first-timers. On this 4-hour guided tour, you get priority boarding on the ferry from Manhattan to visit the two important historical sites. Tour Lady Liberty's turf before heading inside the pedestal for another perspective from observation decks. Then hop the ferry to Ellis Island and learn about the millions of people who arrived here between 1892 and 1954 in hope of living the American dream.

Any thoughts on whether I should do this tour?  As far as the SOL, beyond just seeing it, does a tour really add anything?  I don't want to get stuck on this island staring at a statue for 2 hours.  Also, if anyone has toured Ellis Island, is it worth it? This will definitely burn a half a day, and I just want to make sure it's worth it.