NYC Early August-Wife and Kids

cabowabo

The place you'll get stuck is Ellis Island as there's less people getting off and staying there. You have to deal with boats that already have too many people on them so it takes a while to leave. At least that was our experience when we went in June 2017. If you can do something to avoid that long wait for the ferry then I would do it. Make sure you can go up to the crown because just the pedestal isn't as impressive. Ellis Island is cool though. I mean you're possibly standing in the spot your family came through to get into America. 

Edited by mdmost

I'll be honest, if you're not going up to the crown and you're worried about time but want to see the SoL, take the free Staten Island ferry from the Staten Island Ferry Whitehall Terminal just to the east of Battery Park. You'll get a nice view of the SoL while riding on the ferry and you just walk back onto the next departing boat. 25 minutes each way, boats leave every 30 minutes. I mean if you have the time to kill and really want to see both then do it as they are great. To me, the view from the crown is tough to beat. If you don't have the time or don't want to take the time out, do the Ferry only. 

19665228_10211239495721628_7047535210195130595_n.jpg

Edited by mdmost

Fun fact about the subway. Up near Fort Tryon Park there's a subway station where you get into an elevator to go to the surface. There is an elevator operator and everything. It's crazy.

But I love the subways, I almost never take a taxi/uber. I haven't been in a while but i'm dying to get a cronut.

Edited by Thetexashammer

The only time you should take an Uber is to/from LGA and trips less than a mile or two. 

I love the east east village and haven’t seen it mentioned yet. Walk down st marks and grab coffee or lunch near Tompkins square park. You can then walk up to Union square and find something fun to see. 

• 4 weeks later...

It's early August what was the verdict?

I hang out in Midtown like a chump because that is where my business is when I'm in NYC, but I enjoy FiDi and the area lower than midtown-- I guess that's Chelsea and Tribeca and Greenwhich idk.

I did see To Kill a Mockingbird at Shubert Theatre on Broadway (starring Jeff Daniels as Atticus Finch, by the way) and it was way better than I expected...