Justin Amash: Independent

jimmyjazz

3 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Amash wanted to impeach Trump.  He burned bridges within the GOP because of it.  Now you think he wants to see Trump re-elected.  Bernie broke your brain.

Actually I think it is Biden who is doing him in. 

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Yes, I get it. He doesn't like Donald Trump.

Does he prefer Joe Biden becoming president in 2020? What would indicate that to me?

The fact that he left the Republican Party over his distaste of trump is pretty good evidence that he ain’t voting for trump no matter what. But yeah he’s going to vote for trump. 

7 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

The fact that he left the Republican Party over his distaste of trump is pretty good evidence that he ain’t voting for trump no matter what. But yeah he’s going to vote for trump. 

Here's what I said that everyone is responding to:
"I think if you put a gun to Amash's head and he has to vote for Trump or Biden, he's voting for Trump."

Do you disagree with what I actually said?

(Also, it's hilarious how hard this board works to rehabilitate the image of conservatives like Amash and the cadre of neo-con Iraq war cheerleaders in the pundocracy while endlessly bashing the left. It's almost like... hmmm...)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

This sounds like what people ask you.

And what's my answer?

Would I prefer Joe Biden or Donald Trump becoming president in 2020.

There is a real, honest answer and a dipshit troll answer intended to continue with pointless, divisive rancor... let's see which one is chosen!

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Yes, we disagree with what you actually said.

That's fantastic, can you show me something that indicates that Amash prefers Joe Biden?

I advocated the impeachment of Bill Clinton for perjury and I still would've voted for him over any Republican had he been able to run again in 2000.

I thought Hillary was an awful pile of dogshit and voted for her over Trump.

I think Biden is a rapist and I'll almost certainly vote for him, too.

Edited by bad_teammate

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Can you show something that indicates Amash prefers Trump?

He was a Republican 20 minutes ago.

He hasn't joined any other party or group that is, let's say, left of the Republican party.

He hasn't indicated any shift away from the political values that made him a Republican for decades.

He has not joined up with any non-Republican or non-right-winger in any way.

If you've got some kind of information or details on this that would educate me, please share. I love to learn. :)

He seems to keep his opinion of Biden close to the vest, but hasn't had any problems unloading on dotard.

lol this guy

b_t: "I think this guy who has been a Republican forever and only left because he hates one individual Republican would prefer a Republican president to a Democratic one."

surly guys who are DEFINITELY not just temporarily-not-Republicans: "You're so fucking stupid you fuck."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

He was a Republican 20 minutes ago.

He hasn't joined any other party or group that is, let's say, left of the Republican party.

He hasn't indicated any shift away from the political values that made him a Republican for decades.

He has not joined up with any non-Republican or non-right-winger in any way.

If you've got some kind of information or details on this that would educate me, please share. I love to learn. :)

lol this guy

b_t: "I think this guy who has been a Republican forever and only left because he hates one individual Republican would prefer a Republican president to a Democratic one."

surly guys who are DEFINITELY not just temporarily-not-Republicans: "You're so fucking stupid you fuck."

He probably does prefer a Republican president (so long as it's not dotard) to a Democratic one.  I think that's probably correct, but guess what... dotard is going to be the R nominee so what's your point?

Just now, Fudge Nuggets said:

He probably does prefer a Republican president (so long as it's not dotard) to a Democratic one.  I think that's probably correct, but guess what... dotard is going to be the R nominee so what's your point?

My point is pretty obvious: I have no reason to believe that he prefers Joe Biden to Donald Trump.

The idea that he would go against everything he's stood for for decades just because he hates one individual Republican doesn't make any sense to me. Also, none of you can provide any evidence or reason for me to believe it other than the usual flailing and weak attempts at dunking. Which, oddly, I don't find convincing. :)

But that's just my perspective. The value systems and allegiances of many here seem to be a lot more flexible, so perhaps you guys don't see a problem with voting for a Republican one cycle and a Democrat the next. Amash seems to be more like me, though, a dogged principle guy (not saying that's better or worse, maybe he and I are just spergy together), so I think my read is more rational.

I hated the Clintons and voted for them 3 times and didn't ever consider voting for their opponent for a nanosecond.
I don't hate Joe Biden (I think he's pathetic and regressive), but I'd vote for him over Trump in a heartbeat if forced to.

Do you think Amash sees Trump as the future of Republican politics or a temporary aberration that can be overcome in the future? Seems very obvious to me.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

For anyone considering it, my Surly experience is much better with b_t on ignore.  I highly suggest it.

I agree with Biff. You should all put me on ignore.

That way you never have to be challenged and can exist in a nice little echo chamber. Not even being sarcastic. Block me, please. :)

35 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Here's what I said that everyone is responding to:
"I think if you put a gun to Amash's head and he has to vote for Trump or Biden, he's voting for Trump."

Do you disagree with what I actually said?

(Also, it's hilarious how hard this board works to rehabilitate the image of conservatives like Amash and the cadre of neo-con Iraq war cheerleaders in the pundocracy while endlessly bashing the left. It's almost like... hmmm...)

Can you not extrapolate what I typed to answer your own question?  Also, what does my answer have to do with rehabbing his image?  He’s not voting for Trump, no matter what. Would he vote for Biden in November this year? No clue, but if he only has those two choices and must pick one, he’d pick Biden. You don’t join a club for 30 years and basically get exiled from that club because of one of its members and then vote to have that member stay in charge. 

I still wouldn’t vote for Amash. if this doesn’t answer your question you’ll need to find someone else to answer them, because I don’t have the interest level to keep this up. 

4 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

if this doesn’t answer your question you’ll need to find someone else to answer them, because I don’t have the interest level to keep this up. 

Nothing will ever answer his questions.  He's performance art, as mentioned above.  Ignore function is your friend.

6 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

You don’t join a club for 30 years and basically get exiled from that club because of one of its members and then vote to have that member stay in charge. 

But you also don't vote for the leader of the rival club.

He has a ton of allegiances to Republicans. He has zero to Democrats.

Disagreement is OK. 

I still wouldn’t vote for Amash. if this doesn’t answer your question you’ll need to find someone else to answer them, because I don’t have the interest level to keep this up. 

I love how people start a conversation with me, when I was never talking to them, and then tell me how I'm not worth their time.

Weird how that works.

Kind of like people who put me on ignore but can't stop thinking and talking about me.

lol

10 hours ago, bernorange said:

Amash wanted to impeach Trump.  He burned bridges within the GOP because of it.  Now you think he wants to see Trump re-elected.  Bernie broke your brain.

Who would've become President if Trump had been impeached and removed? Who will become President if Trump loses in November?

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Only BT would be able to harness the power of compelling otherwise unsympathetic Surly posters to defend a libertarian.  Keep up the good work BT. 

lol @ the idea that Surly posters are "otherwise unsympathetic" to anti-Trump conservatives

#RESIST is the name of the game here, baby!

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

To know Amash's true libertarian credentials, we need to know his age of consent views.

Look, I’m not saying we should abolish age of consent laws, what I’m saying is that we aren’t even having the discussion and that needs to change. We should always be challenging and analyzing our laws whether it’s age of consent or DWI laws or child support or the abolishment of family court. That is what makes America great. 

• Like 2

On 4/15/2020 at 10:13 AM, Hank Scorpio said:

Look, I’m not saying we should abolish age of consent laws, what I’m saying is that we aren’t even having the discussion and that needs to change. We should always be challenging and analyzing our laws whether it’s age of consent or DWI laws or child support or the abolishment of family court. That is what makes America great. 

Look, just b/c you have a thing for your 15 year old neighbor...

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

It is super easy to post pictures straight from your phone, other than that I like safari a whole lot more on my phone.

I can get that. I use duckduckgo, and you have to go through a whole rigamarole to post pictures. I feel like people who are on tapa complain a lot about it. 

55 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It is super easy to post pictures straight from your phone, other than that I like safari a whole lot more on my phone.

The imgbb workflow is pretty quick for posting pictures, when it doesn't decide to fuck up the orientation. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Amash on Bill Maher last night and was not impressed at all. Very conservative - a more Rand Paul extreme type conservative. And truthfully I’ve never really understood what a Libertarian is except maybe cafeteria style politics. Pick whatever you believe. I’m not sure how much traction this guy will get and who he would hurt except Trump. There would be that young vs. old but he didn’t come across Presidential.

• Like 1