Justin Amash: Independent

jimmyjazz

Just now, 4th&Five said:

I thought he came off worse than Crenshaw did a couple weeks ago. 

The one eyed dude.  Come on man, I hope that's not true. 

Here's a longer form. He is not polished and has a ways to go. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Ha. I hate Crenshaw but in terms of being interviewed he at least got his points across. I thought Amash just rambled and never really got his point across, which was obviously frustrating to Maher. 

Yeah, Maher even teed him up a couple times.  It was a friendly interview. And Amash just totally whiffed.  To the point that Maher was cracking on him. 

I saw the interview and couldn't figure out what made Amash different from your garden variety Republican.  He kept going back to local control or something but let a local entity do something they don't like.

He hates Trump.

That’s literally the only difference.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

He hates Trump.

That’s literally the only difference.

This is correct.  People enjoyed him because he did show some principled backbone and he annoyed the shit out of Trump.  Other than that, his platform has a narrow tent.  He's there to just annoy the other two's camps.  Which is very sad in a way, but he's not a great candidate.

That's so lazy.  

I mean you don't have to agree with Amash's positions, but to paint him as just a garden variety Republican is so far off.  The guy got kicked off committees when  teh GOP controlled the House because he was bucking Boner. The fucking GOP rank and file hated him and said he voted with the Democrats more than the Republicans.

You don't have to agree with him, but don't be lazy in your dismissal.  

You’ve just transferred your Libertarian Stan Idol fanboy behavior from Rand Paul to Justin Amash because Rand took off his Cloak of Reasonableness and got all Trumpy.

He pulled a Bloomberg in that interview.

But he’s even more pathetic because at least Bloomberg got pantsed by an intelligent antagonist in Elizabeth Warren.

Amash got run by a sympathetic comedian.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

You’ve just transferred your Libertarian Stan Idol fanboy behavior from Rand Paul to Justin Amash because Rand took off his Cloak of Reasonableness and got all Trumpy.

He pulled a Bloomberg in that interview.

But he’s even more pathetic because at least Bloomberg got pantsed by an intelligent antagonist in Elizabeth Warren.

Amash got run by a sympathetic comedian.

I agree it was a terrible interview.  Did you watch the long form Reason interview I linked, and specifically the section where he discusses his views on Roe v. Wade and his priorities if he were in the executive branch?  I know that based on our past exchanges that is a strong sticking point. Interested if it softens your stance at all. 

Edited by Anastasis

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I agree it was a terrible interview.  Did you watch the long form Reason interview I linked, and specifically the section where he discusses his views on Roe v. Wade and his priorities if he were in the executive branch?  I know that based on our past exchanges that is a strong sticking point. Interested if it softens your stance at all. 

One bad interview and your life is over. Didn't you get the memo?

4 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

One bad interview and your life is over. Didn't you get the memo?

Apparently in modern American politics nose diving an interview is worse than multiple allegations of sexual harassment or sexual assault.  

Amash did not show out at all in the interview.  Of course, even with a bad show out, on the balance he appears far more normal, honest, and capable than both Biden and Trump.  

In American politics at the moment that makes his tent a very narrow one. 

Edited by Anastasis

Just now, Anastasis said:

Apparently in modern American politics nose diving an interview is worse than multiple allegations of sexual harassment or sexual assault.  

Amash did not show out at all in the interview.  Of course, even with a bad show out, on the balance he appears far more normal, honest, and capable than both Biden and Trump.  

In American politics at the moment that makes his tent a very narrow one. 

Do you ever feel like bt but on a different political spectrum? 

Amash is more coherent, young, and not a party hack. Seems like a good candidate to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

“... our past exchanges...” LOL

Anybody with the voting record Amash has fantasizes about overturning RvW and would easily move forward with it if given the opportunity.

Edited by StassneyHorn

5 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Anybody with the voting record Amash has fantasizes about overturning RvW and would easily move forward with it if given the opportunity.

I won't be pissed off about it.

Also like that's worse than a traitor, or an old man with dementia.

Edited by workswithseed

12 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

I was referring to the more recent ones relevant directly to Libertarians and abortion and the supposed incompatibility, but if you want to pull one up from a debate thread ok. 

19 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Also, kinda funny that you call back to a post prior to your registration date. 

Well yea Ive been reading for a long time before registering. Then I had to wait a long time for the requirements to get in here before getting a nice rep bomb. That particular post of yours has stuck out to me for a long time.

i can send you a list of other sites I read but haven’t registered for if you would like a DM.

2 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

That particular post of yours has stuck out to me for a long time.

OK. I think that the acute political focus on abortion is counterproductive. I think that pining for abortion debate in the course of a democratic debate is boring and counterproductive AF. I am also an asshole, will concede that point.

I think that it is an issue that would be best addressed outside the political sphere. Which, if you listen to Amash's response is also what he advocates. I am aligned with that.  If you had paid attention to my posts on the topic, as a long time reader on this board or the last, you would recognize that the areas that I think we should focus on are women who get repeated abortion.  Two, 3, 4+.  It's a more significant number than a society that wasn't knee deep in barbarism should tolerate. Women at high risk of both medical and long lasting psychological outcomes. So, maybe that quip from befor your registered, but none of the other posts on the subject over a number of years stuck with you. That is more my fault than yours. 

I have no interest in Amash’s nuanced stance on abortion.

As a woman with a daughter in a red state, I don’t want the idiots in Montgomery making those decisions.

They’ve already effectively legislated this state into an atmosphere where an abortion is all but impossible to obtain within state lines.

The state has five facilities total.

Here is a list of the draconian abortion laws in Alabama -

https://www.prochoiceamerica.org/state-law/alabama/

I am unmovable on abortion for personal reasons I will not discuss on this forum.

It is a red line issue for me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I am unmovable on abortion for personal reasons I will not discuss on this forum.

It is a red line issue for me.

Fair enough BC. 

I do sincerely hope, no CR bullshit, that you might be willing to listen to different perspectives on that issue, however limited they may be, and understand that people can arrive at a different place in the discussion in good faith.   

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

That was a pretty bone head tweet. 

but he still the only non elderly and senile presidential candidate that hasn’t been accused of sexually assaulting a woman. 

Cool. Maybe he should get his shit together and run in 2024 with the guise of unfucking the Republican Party instead of wasting everyone’s time in 2020 and possibly helping Dotard win. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Amash was stupid enough to believe there was some sort of appetite for his inclusion in the race, and smart enough to cut bait when proven that wasn't the case. Glad we can move on and forget this nonsense. 

If you can take libertarianism seriously you can believe pretty much anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...