Earthquake in California

Parliament

Ridgecrest hospital, the only major medical facility in the area and built in 1940's, being evacuated. Good news is they keep showing the same house fire over and over which means there's not bigger fires.

In all seriousness someone needs to check on our friends @Sbbruin and @Gil Bang to make sure everything is cool. Sounds like this last one was way bigger than normal.  

if I forgot, my bad, these are just a couple posters I know live in SoCal.  

Edited by SDG

The 7.1 quake occurred on the same fault system as the 6.4 temblor that is now being considered a foreshock. It was further away from Los Angeles, though still in the Owens Valley.

“This happened at the end of the zone that moved previously,” said retired USGS seismologist Lucy Jones.

It has already been followed by several aftershocks, some 15 miles to the northwest, Jones said. She said the fault is likely to be 25 to 30 miles long.

“The fault is growing,” Jones said. “We ruptured a piece in the first earthquake [the 6.4 on Thursday], we ruptured a piece in the 5.4 [the aftershock yesterday], and we’ve ruptured more now.”

The epicenter of Friday’s quake seemed to be deeper than Thursday’s large temblor – tonight’s intensity, which scientists use to measure the amount shaking, was absolutely greater tonight, Jones said.

Seismologists said Friday evening’s temblor appeared to to be part of the same sequence. Thursday’s large earthquake could’ve actually been the foreshock to today’s magnitude 6.9, said Jones.

“There’s a 5% chance that this could be followed by an even larger quake” in the next few days said USGS seismologist Robert Graves.